Schwinn 405 Elite XC Full Suspension

• Chain: KMC-Z9000
  • Rims: Alex TD24 Disc Double wall alloy 32 hole

Submitted by RkinNC a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington NC

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2011

Strengths:    Sturdy. Nice riding bike. Handles really well on the trail.

Weaknesses:    Worthless tires, cheap crankset

Bottom Line:
This bike could have brought Schwinn back into the fold, but when you see the crap they used for a crank set, you are likely to walk away. The rings are spot welded together and beg to be broken. The stock tires were also not for slamming and banging so they had to go. Now, I am an old guy, so I know the technical part of bikes really well but can't do much severe trail riding anymore. I think this bike is a little heavy for climbing (say 32 lbs)but that could just be my old, battered body. Plus, mine is a tad small for me and that does not help on the hills. But, this is a trial bike not an XC racer and you are not paying for a light weight FS XC bike. If you just want fun without pain give it a try. I would love to take it to a place with a lift or dirt road to the top.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   My first full suspension

Bike Setup:   Stock except Panaracer Smoke and Dart tires, Shimano mountain double crankset, DMR V-8 pedals, WTB saddle.

Submitted by Jester a Cross Country Rider from Centurion, South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    Well built, handling similar to much more expensive bikes. The bike is comfortable so you can spend the whole day in the saddle. Not too heavy taking into consideration where its fit's into market. Maintenance can easily be carried out by yourself.

Weaknesses:    RockShox Tora fork is heavy and comes fitted with standard coil spring. I'm not a racing snake so the fork was too soft for me and pre-load can not be adjusted.

Bottom Line:
Good value for money and reliable.

Favorite Trail:   Groenkloof

Similar Products Used:   None, previous bike was a hard tail.

Bike Setup:   Standard components, but replaced fork with air-fork and fitted tubeless tyres.

Submitted by jioolk a Cross Country Rider from Zlin, Czech republic

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2009

Strengths:    Firstly sorry for my english.
Never lets you down, everything you want to try, the bike is able to try with you.
Ive tried no hard core rocks or etc. (when I knew it may come) but everything I was couragous enough, it passed with me, and considering Im a dumb/couragous enough, there were really things I now think I would never do again. So for noobies and their finding for their limits, I would recomend this bike.
Ive never had a doubt that its not precisely done.

Weaknesses:    The thingie on the back, when youre having the top gear and trying to hit it hard and go fast forward, it usually shifts down, I have it serviced right now, so its probably not just my problem. But on the other hand, I think its usual issue and its enough to have one gear less and everything is ok, so to be honest, I dont think its an issue, but it happens.

Bottom Line:
I really like the bike, i like the feel of it, color and everything else, its just a good piece of stuff. I really trust it.
Quality for money I gave for it ratio, is great.
Im posting a link to my facebook account where I have just a pictures of the bike (not sure it will work for you, never tried it from another computer)

Favorite Trail:   Muddy tracks less jumps

Similar Products Used:   none (have you ever seen really old mtb weighting about 20kg?)

Bike Setup:   factory.

Submitted by Kernradioflyer a Weekend Warrior from Bakersfield, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent components, great suspension design, not too heavey for the price paid.

Weaknesses:    Front fork a little too soft for heaveier riders.

Bottom Line:
An excellent bike for the price paid. No bobbbing while pedaling. The components are very good. Only thing that may need replacing would be the forks but even those are OK really. Apparently the Elite model is for "Europe Only" but Performance has some for sale. It is really a great bike as is but also an excellent platform to build on too. Because it is a Schwinn it may not be give a second look by most, but is really worth considering, especially for the price and the components it comes with.

Favorite Trail:   Kern Canyon Trial