Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon XC Full Suspension

4.86/5 (35 Reviews)

The re-engineered Santa Cruz Blur XC has jaws dropping again, offering more innovation and further improvements in the construction of carbon mountain bikes.

Submitted by havanother a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2014

Strengths:    Light, handles beautifully, looks good, comfortable, fast.

Weaknesses:    Rear triangle may as well be made of glass. Quite expensive. Warranty is pretty much worthless if you're not in the US. Low bottom bracket. Finish looks nice to start with but is easily chipped.

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with this bike. From the first test ride I was hooked - it just felt like it wanted to go fast. Mine had a quality build including DT Swiss wheels which have remained perfectly true for over a year. BUT after just 18 months, it broke. The rear triangle is obviously a weak point and continues to be so on TRc and TRa models - even the Bronson and Tallboy - just google and you'll find loads of imagines of busted rear triangles. Now if you're in the US, breaking one is an inconvenience. But if you're outside the US, it's a major pain in the ass. You have to pay courier both ways - and obviously so many have busted, they don't have any more in stock (despite Santa Cruz's warranty statement saying they'll continue to stock parts for crash replacement). You'll never find one on the 2nd hand market. You'd think either Santa Cruz or some smart operator would redesign the rear triangle, beef it up a bit and offer them on ebay or whatever. Copyright might trip them up I guess. Anyway, that's my review - nice bike, but far too flimsy. Avoid. Especially if you plan on riding anything rougher than the road to the coffee shop.

Favorite Trail:   Scorpion

Purchased At:   City Cycle San Fran

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Camber, Jamis - various, Diamond Back - various, Marin - varous, Fisher - various.

Submitted by jwyatt a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2013

Strengths:    Superb handling, strong climbing and descending, very light weight, very well sealed bearings

Weaknesses:    UK price was pretty laughable until spring 2012 when it became more sensible from some retailers (the RRP in GBP is still much higher than the USD number). People's perceptions of it "only" being a 4-inch race bike. Finding the right headset for modern bikes is a nightmare.

Bottom Line:
I was a long-term Santa Cruz rider (Heckler mk1, Superlight, Blur Classic) but pretty much discounted one as my next bike as this frame was £2500BGP (that's $3800) in the UK in spring 2012 and the TRc much more. As I was looking at Pivot Mach 4's and Trek EX's the UK's main SC retailer threw in an offer of F120RLC Kashimas for free with the frame - effectively making it £1750 - and I ordered immediately in the red/grey/black colour.

I wanted a lightweight trail bike that could handle everything from long rides to rocky Welsh trail centres, with an eye on the fact I live in southern England - not mountain country - so the fashionable 5-6" bikes are overkill for 99% of my riding. The frame is beautifully built and finished and I was happy mine was tapered but still ran QR rear and a threaded BB. Unlike my Blur Classic the suspension is well able to handle UK mud.

I built it with full M970 XTR (3x9 speed as I still prefer rapid rise mechs), basic formula brakes, i-beam saddle, raceface deus 665mm bar and 70mm stem - it was a sensible not an overly weight weenie build but the bike still comes in at 24 pounds dead with my lighter wheels running 2.25 Rocket Rons. Impressive.

I have been blown away with how the bike rides - SC's always handle well, this one climbs like a goat with the suspension really helping you seek out grip on the bumpy stuff, and it is stiff, responsive, and so quiet after riding alloy bikes.

But what I was worried about was how it would handle bigger stuff - all the mags in the UK are advocating 29'ers or 6" 26ers - had I bought a dinosaur? No way - slap on some 2.4 tyres (the frame has massive clearance) and proper 32-spoke wheels and it eats up a rocky trail centre like Coed Y Brenin. Compared to my Blur Classic and Superlight it just goes where you point it on the rough stuff - the extra stiffness is really noticeable, and the suspension delivers a great performance downhill as well as up.

This is a fantastic bike that lets you have your cake and eat it (that probably means nothing to people outside the UK...) in terms of light weight, huge stiffness, and fantastic handling up and down hill. Hammering downhill might be fun but unless you are lifting to the top (which is not what this bike is for) you spend most of your ride pedalling - this bike will make you feel faster, for sure, and it is very very comfortable on long rides.

Favorite Trail:   Local Singletrack

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Stif MTB

Similar Products Used:   Heckler mk1, 2006 Superlight, Blur Classic

Bike Setup:   full M970 XTR except for PG990 cassette and chain, F120 RLC Kashima, i-beam seat/post, RaceFace Deus bar/stem, Formula K-18 brakes, Chris King headset, range of wheels from EA90 to Hope 32-spoke

Submitted by n2b8tor a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Strengths:    very light, strong, stiff, great climbing machine, VPP

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike for about a year, pretty much full XTR, DT swiss, Rock shok front, RP23 rear. I have this bike about 23Lbs. Best XC bike I ridden, prior to this I rode a Trek, SC Blur AL. All I have to say is if your looking for a great epic XC bike for long rides than look no further, If your XC racing then just stick to a hard tail, but if you need Full suspension XC this is IT! The bike climbs like a goat and downhill is very responsive. quick,

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek, SC nomad, SC blur AL

Bike Setup:   Full XTR

Submitted by Groenkoof a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, fast and very little bob. Great all day comfort and a speed machine.

Weaknesses:    Too little time to ride it!! The slack angle of the seat tube made the setup a bit difficult but nothing that a zero offset seatpost could not handle.

Bottom Line:
Having ridden and tested a Yeti ASR, Morewood Zula and Tallboy- this is the best of the lot (Tallboy also very good). It is fast to accelerate, fast in the turns and nimble enough to go very fast in singletrack. I have used this twice on a 250km stage race and had no issues with comfort- this is ideal for anything from XC to stage races.

Favorite Trail:   Groenkloof- South Africa

Similar Products Used:   Yeti ASR, Commencal Meta 4, Morewood Zula.

Bike Setup:   built up from a frame, ZTR Crest- hope hubs- DT spokes wheels, Hope Race brakes, Thompsons seatpost, Specialized Phenom saddle, XO gripshift, SPD pedals

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Best climbing & efficient bike for long rides.

Weaknesses:    Frame Sizing

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect cross country bike.
I'm 5' 10" & all my bikes are Medium size frame, the distributor here advice me to get the Medium.
However, the cockpit feel cramp even with a 100mm stem & it is clear that the sizing is smaller than the industry standards. After the bike is build, the distributor agrees that the size is small for me as my lower back hunch excessively in normal riding position.
I love this bike so much that I placed an order for a Large size frame to transfer my component over & It is unfortunate for me that we do have customer satisfaction policy here that I have to dispose my Medium frame via ebay at an anticipate lost.
If you wanna avoid costly lesson, NEVER trust a sales person to fit a bike size by looking at your physical appearance. Instead, write to Santa Cruz to check sizing & these guys read & reply mail promptly,

Purchased At:   KSH

Similar Products Used:   BMC Team Elite, Giant NRS, Santa Cruz Superlight, Titus Racer X, Intense Tracer VP, Lapierre Zesty 314

Bike Setup:   Fox F100 RLC Taper 15QR, XTR, ZTR Podium & Ritchey Superlogic. Bike weight 21.5 lbs with pedal.

Submitted by Frozenspokes a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, pedaling efficiancy, VPP suspension, handling

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
In a nutshell, this is the bike by which I judge all other full suspension XC bikes. Santa Cruz has nearly a decade of experience building VPP frames and it truly shows with this iteration of the Blur XC. The bike accelerates quickly when you put the power down without undue monkey motion from the suspension. Stand on grind or sit and spin the result is the same, forward motion without bobbing. The Fox shock with Propedal helps in this department, but even with the Propedal at the lowest setting, you still get minimal bobbing. Due to the light weight and dialed suspension, the bike climbs better than any other FS bike I have ridden.

So, you think great, it climbs well, it must suck going down hill. You would be wrong. The VPP suspension soaks up hits like nobody's business when the trail points down. If anything, I think it works better as your speed increases. This bike just soaks up square edged hits and drops (within reason) and lets me descend faster than I would on ANY hardtail. And, when it's time to slow down, you don't have to worry about brake jack like on some other FS bikes I've ridden.

So, how does it handle? Amazingly fast is how it handles. I have the bike set up with a 100 mm fork and can honestly say that it took a bit to get used to how quickly this bike turns in compared to the 2004 Blur that it replaced. The Chainstays are shorter than on the old Blur and this combined with an XC oriented head angle makes for almost instantaneous steering. I kept early apexing turns for the first few rides until I got more used to how fast this thing handles. You can slow that down a bit by putting a longer travel fork on it.

So, it climbs great, descends great, handles great! What more could you want? A lower price maybe, but this is a boutique bike brand and we know we're going to pay more for it than your average Trek or Specialized.

What are you waiting for, go out and buy one. You won't be dissapointed!

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge TN, wish I were there

Purchased At:   Through SC @ my LBS

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX, Specialized FSR, Trek/Fisher Superfly 100

Bike Setup:   Manitou Marvel Expert fork (Super stiff & aids the awesome handling of the Blur)
Hope hubs laced to Mavic 717s
X9 drivetrain & shifters
Avid BB7 brakes (yea, I have yet to drink the hydro Koolaid)
Thomson Seat Elite Seat Post
Selle Italia Flight saddle
Easton EA70 Stem
LP Carbon handlebar
Shimano 535 pedals (heavy but bulletproof)

Submitted by TX_Outdoors a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio,Texas

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2012

Strengths:    Carbon, if your not on it, you're missing out. Of course it is light and handles great. Everything positive that you have read about this bike is true.

Weaknesses:    Cheesy decal/logos

Bottom Line:
I had been riding the original Blur for the last 9 years The original Blur (classic) was my dream bike. It lived up to the hype. Light, quick handling, climbed great, full suspension perfected. In December my frame broke at the seatpost tube above the bottom bracket. This is a common defect according to posts. Santa Cruz was great and replaced my frame with the option of a free super light frame or Carbon Blur for $900 ( fair considering the frame retails for $2499 and my frame was almost 10 years old). Great support from SC. The ride is amazing. Completely happy, didn't know my dream bike could get better. If you havent test riden a Santa Cruz, do it. The bikes are worth the money. I've ridden every make/model out there and nothing compares.

Favorite Trail:   Govt Canyon

Purchased At:   Direct from SC (warr

Similar Products Used:   Blur classic

Bike Setup:   XT/ XTR, Thompson, race face cranks/bottom brackets, Chris king headset, fox shocks front/rear, mountain kings

Submitted by Fiendbear a Cross Country Rider from San Mateo County

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    I have yet to find a flaw with this bike. Light, stiff, fast, stable at speed, quick handling, outstanding component group... the Ferrari of mountain bikes.

Weaknesses:    Price of course.

Bottom Line:
Believe the other reviews, the Blur XCc is a phenomenal bike. I beat this bike hard, and it just smiles back and says "give me more". I find the 69.5 degree HA with a Fox F100RLC provides the bike with perfect balance - not too aggressive, not too relaxed, and matches up superbly with the Monarch RT3 in back. The new M980 XTR groupset and Formula The One brakes are icing on the cake.

Once you get the fork and shock dialed in, just set and forget. Love the RT3 on this bike - I run it wide open all the time. It just eats up tight, twisty single track and fast, choppy downhill bombs. The bike climbs equally well sitting or standing and mashing, with no peddle bob.

The Blur XCc is definitely race-worthy, yet easily keeps pace with AM bikes. You will be flying by other riders whether going up or downhill. You can't possibly go wrong with this bike.. it truly is the best XC bike available.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Passion Trail Bikes

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz XTR package w/ M980 groupset (22.5 lbs w/o pedals)...

FRAME: 2011 Blur XC Carbon (medium), Matte Carbon
REAR SHOCK: 2011 Monarch RT3
FORK: 2011 Fox F100RLC (black)
REAR DER: Shimano M980 SGS (XTR) 10spd
GRIPS: Oury Lock Ons
HEADSET: Chris King 1 1/8
SEAT POST: Thomson Masterpiece
SADDLE: WTB Silverado SLT
WHEELS: DT XR400 rims laced to DT 240S rear hub and Chub 15mm front hub w/ DT 14/15 spokes, alloy nipples
TIRES: Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 folding
PEDALS: Shimano (XTR)

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2011

Strengths:    Clever Component Groups

Weaknesses:    Avid Elixirs

Bottom Line:
If you love the feel of VPP, you'll love this bike. I love it, but the anti-squat nature of the VPP bugged one of my riding buddies and he ended up on a Yeti, so ride before you buy, even it it's just around the parking lot.

One thing Santa Cruz has always done is to come up with really clever build kits. My SPX xc kit was 1 lb heaver than XTR, but the components that matter - contact (bars and seat) and swing weight (stem, seatpost, rims), are the same, so I opted for durability over weight, not to mention saving $1200.

I am not so crazy about the Elixir brakes. The reservoir is small, so I end up bleeding the levers every six months or so. And the brakes came with metallic pads, which were OK on the front, but terrible on the rear (grabby with poor modulation). Organic pads fixed the rear - turning the brakes from terrible to wonderful. But this is largely moot, since the new SPX xc kit uses XT brakes. I read this past year that Avid has addressed the reservoir problem in the latest iteration of the Elixirs. Stil, I would the try XT next time. The non hygroscopic nature of mineral oil is appealing.

Favorite Trail:   Saw Pit

Purchased At:   Crossroads (RIP)

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight (10 years)
Specialized Epic (parking lot test ride)
Santa Cruz Blur LT (parking lot test ride)
Ibis Mojo (parking lot test ride)

Bike Setup:   SPXc - XT level with Sram drivetrain

Submitted by OffTheGrid a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs, descents, tracks like it is on rails, looks, simplicity

Weaknesses:    Price (you get what you pay for on this frame though)

Bottom Line:
BELIEVE THE HYPE. This is absolutely the best performing xc bike I have ever ridden. I was skeptical of all the hype surrounding the climbing capability of this bike. One ride in a pack and I am a true believer. I pass guys who used to beat my butt on climbs like they're backing up. I can't believe the way this bike responds on an angle. It also tracks like it is on rails and soaks up the bumps like a 5"+ bike. I rode a Specialized FSR XC for several years thinking there was little to gain in buying a new rig. WOW was I wrong. I just wish I had done it sooner. I have taken this bike down Crank It Up and B-Line with no problems whatsoever and have confidence it can handle more (I don't push the airs too much). The bike is truly at home on lonely epic singletrack or on the xc course at Sea Otter. I absolutely love the simplicity of the XX 2x10 setup too. I'm 5'11" and 173lb and I ride primarily technical singletrack on a LG frame in the Pac NW on dry to sloppy conditions. Buy it if you ride xc and want to beat your buddies handily both up and down. Skip if you are less inclined to earn your DH the old fashioned way.

Favorite Trail:   Porcpine Rim or Comfortably Numb

Purchased At:   Built from various o

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR XC full XTR kit; Klein Palomino; Gary Fisher Sugar 2

Bike Setup:   SRAM XX group (ders, brakes, shifters, chain, bb, crankset), SID XX 120mm fork, Fox RP23 shock, Thompson Elite Seatpost and Stem, Easton EC70 Bars, WTB Rocket V SLR Saddle, Dave's SpeedDream King Disc/Stans Tubeless Wheelset, Kenda Nevegal UST tires, Cane Creek S8 headset, ODI grips. ~22.5 lbs

Submitted by mikeep123 a Racer from Dumfries

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, very plush, stable, reactive.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to Blur XC Carbon from my Superlight which was 9 years old.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of drama compared to the Superlight which felt really twitchy.

This bike climbs like a demon. No bobbing at all or front end left on steep stuff. It's a very efficient machine.

Descending is very stable. Feels like it has more than 105mm travel.

It's an amazing piece of kit. If you are thinking about it, just do it. No regrets.

Favorite Trail:   Kirroughtree

Purchased At:   stiff.com

Bike Setup:   XT groupset, Fulcrum Red Zero wheelset, reba race.

Submitted by Oddbjorn a Cross Country Rider from St. Paul, MN

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, fast, easy to service. Adaptable for racing, riding epics, or just messing around on local trails. Super easy to make a super light bike if that's your thing.

Weaknesses:    Too pretty to ride!

Bottom Line:
I've put a lot of miles on this bike in the past 18 months and it's still a sweet, grin-inducing ride regardless of terrain. Great climber, but really shows its pedigree when swooping loopy single track at a fast pace. It's a speedy fun ride that has been well worth the bucks.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim

Purchased At:   Frame: Competitive C

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlignt for many years

Bike Setup:   SRAM XO shifters and rear derailleur; AVID Elixir brakes with 6 inch rotors front and rear; Easton XC One wheels; XTR crankset with eggbeater ti pedals; Reba Race on the front and Fox RP 23 on the back.

Submitted by pluzall a Cross Country Rider from san francisco

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    i "regressed" to this frame from 5.5 to 4" travel - no regrets!- after having had an ibis mojo sl for 2 years - i never loved the ibis - it always felt like a newborn horse- not quite in control of its long legs - Blur is not as plush as the ibis - but it sure makes up with much better handling - i can pick lines i could never do with the ibis - near telepathic, i no longer have to guess if it will stick through the turn - Blur frame craftsmanship is amazing - makes ibis look like a garage carbon job - details, finish & alignement are fantastic - did i mention the frame is stiff? - ibis wasnt nearly as stiff, even w lopes link
- i have been riding bikes from the mid eighties, and there were several "pivotal bikes" through the years - Blur xc carbon is another one
A word on 2011 xtr - shifting is superb - whole groupo is very quiet smooth - brakes are insane, way better compared to anything avid i had in the past - true one finger braking (trail version)- 180/160 setup is the way to go -

Weaknesses:    bit on the firm side - but expected from a super efficient xc platform

Bottom Line:
love this bike - its fast as hell - amazing climber - best out of saddle rear suspension

Favorite Trail:   all of marin

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   merlin titanium, several horst link mcpherson strut frames, turner 5 spot, turner burner, ibis mojo sl

Bike Setup:   all 2011 xtr, i9 wheels, fox rlc 120, fox rp23, easton ea90 stem, easton ec90 bars, thompson m post, wtb devo sadel, weirwolf 2.1

Submitted by greencycle a Racer from Perth

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    Laterally quite rigid fairly light, sleek looks without looking too wanky.. Frame itself awesome, with the troubles I have had with components on this particular bike, the Frame is the only thing stopping me from selling it all and starting again.

Weaknesses:    Pivots require regular attention, The components on my particular bike. (XT derailleur, lasted three months, HG chain snapped first ride, Avid elixir 5 brakes, stop well but lack adjustabillity, Truvative handlebars too much back sweep for a cross country bike, Sid team shocks the most flimsy flexible shock I have used, on third set in three months.

Bottom Line:
Buy the Frame you'll love it but do it justice with good components..

Favorite Trail:   Turner hill