Rocky Mountain Slayer XC Full Suspension

• Chain: Shimano HG53-9
  • Spokes: DT Champion

Submitted by T-dog a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    this is for the 2012 model : at this price ( $3,000) nothing comes close to being this much fun. This bike is VERY "physical" - it begs for rough terrain and you feel like a jockey on a hot blooded thoroughbred. Solid build and the component trim is ace , esp. the Formula brakes, and the Race Face cranks. Be warned though- this bike can feel a half size too small with it's seat-tube and head tube angles- i'm 5' 8 1/2 " with a 30" inseam, bought a size 18 and i had to put a Thomson laid-back seatpost on it to get it to feel right.

Weaknesses:    the RP23 shock had to be sent back within 2 hours of riding , Fox had it rebuilt and back to me in 3 days.
it is a bit heavy, but it's so well tuned that it climbs better than bikes 5 pounds lighter.

Bottom Line:
my other full suss bike is a Kona Mano Mano that i've had since '99 and i like how "Canadian designed" bikes feel - when it came time to update my kit i wanted another Canadian bike and Kona's lineup in the all-mtn category was/is over-priced and hasn't had good reviews. i studied up on the Slayer and bought one online- i'll keep it for another decade. I have a '11 Cannondale Flash Carbon 4 for my XC bike and now that i have a Slayer i've lost interest in riding anything else. plus, i love Halo Reach and team slayer is my favorite, which is won at 50 points- yes, this bike and i were meant for each other.

Favorite Trail:   Chickasaw - Columbia TN

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   hucknroll

Similar Products Used:   Kona Mano Mano

Bike Setup:   stock except for Loaded seat clamp, Answer Rove pedals and Thomson set-back seatpost

Submitted by lukejav a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2009

Strengths:    Solid Frame, climbs well, fox vanilla is a great fork. It's lockout is solid, but it offers great plush suspension.

Weaknesses:    I have the 2005, so it creaks a little while riding. But after 4 years I guess the bearings are finally ready to be serviced (which may actually be a strength). Wish it a rear shock that locked out.

Bottom Line:
Overall, its a strong bike that has helped me become a better rider. This is my first true mountain bike and it definitely advanced my skills. Now in 2009, I'm surprised to see that Rocky Mountain is still using the same geometry on the element. It seems a little out-dated. But overall a worth the money and dependable. I would purchase another RM bike in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Dadds Gultch

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by nicolas pilon a Weekend Warrior from montreal,qc,canada

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to ride. The rear suspension(fox) is so wow!!! Great Hayes disc brakes...

Weaknesses:    None for the moment, i change the pedals on purchase day for shimano DX instead of the ones coming with the bike.

Bottom Line:
Great buy, i'm in love with it. As fun to ride as my old Rocky Mountain Equipe or my Specialized Stump Jumper comp that i owned almost 20 years ago.

Favorite Trail:   Mont-Royal or Tremblant

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   ABC Cycles and sport

Bike Setup:   As it came from Rocky Mountain escept for the pedals.

Submitted by Avsfan a Weekend Warrior from Escalon, CA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    Solid bike all around. Climbs great, handles and tracks very well. Absorbs all the bumps like crazy!

Weaknesses:    None so far. Best bike I have ever owned.

Bottom Line:
This is the first full suspension I have owned. Friends have had Rocky Mountain for years and have always been happy so it was time for me to give it a try.

This is a fabulous bike all around for the type of riding I do which is mostly cross country. Single track this bike really shines soaking up rough, rocky riding with no problems. There is no way I would have gone through some of the stuff I do at the speed I do prior to this. Rocky Mountain has done another great job. It is hard to be disappointed with their products. The bike also climbs very well. At times I wish the rear sup. had a lockout but I'm not sure it would make that much of a difference. Will definitely buy another in 2010 when I can justify spending the money again.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Marin Rock Springs, Kona Dawg Deluxe

Bike Setup:   XT all around except shifters are LX. Previous owner changed to Avid 160mm disc brakes from stock. Sunlite rims

Submitted by Dustin jenks a Downhiller from chico, ca

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2007

Strengths:    Locking out the front or rear is huge, lock out go up unlock go down its just that simple

Weaknesses:    some pin in the pivot spot of the rear susp. I broke it but rock mnt is fixing it

Bottom Line:
bottom line is buy this bike, It made me feel like a pro i have never gone sooooo fast dowhill in my life. this is the best bike i have ever sat on!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   my back yard

Purchased At:   greenline cycles oroville ca

Similar Products Used:   kona santacruz

Bike Setup:   all stock

Submitted by Mitch a Cross Country Rider from Juneau, Alaska

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    The bike performs beautifully, and it is a smooth ride going down hill. The brakes, rear shock, and tires are bomber.

Weaknesses:    The front shock and seatpost aren't the best. It seems that Rocky Mountain could have put a little nicer shock on the front, but I can live with it. However, the seat post was crap from day one. After riding for only a week, it broke, and I had a difficult time getting Rocky Mountain or Easton to help me out. The shop I bought the bike from eventually gave me another post, but the had a tough time getting this issue warrantied.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike, and aside from the seat post issue, it has performed admirably. It seems to be a great bike for the damp climate in Juneau, and it seems like a well built bike.

Favorite Trail:   Perseverance

Purchased At:   1900.00

Similar Products Used:   Trek Liquid

Submitted by Brett Jacobson a Cross Country Rider from Ketchum, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Strengths:    I have the 2006 Model!
Way better value than...say..the Slayer 70! Great brakes, quality frame, tough as a badger!

Weaknesses:    Those 9.0 triggers would look/be cool, I took the seat off and now it's my dog's new toy. Hey it's my ass!

Bottom Line:
More than I hoped for, better than expected in every catagory...Comming off a quality 4x4" I expected a bobbing piece of dog poo with a seat and bars on it, and what I got was a 6x6" with incredible climbing/descending/cornering skills along with a more toughness than my Tracer. When you sit on it and look at it you can't help to notice how bullet-proof this thing really is.
I'm sold on XC epic rides and epic riding deep in the mountains. I have no desire to race (pay to ride? travel? That's what the 2006 YZ450F is for!) so the 3-5lbs difference just makes me meaner and leaner, and happier,faster, and a little tougher too. All of which brings serious credentials when shopping for a Female at Grumpy's.....might be worth buying it in-itself. Ride one for yourself

Favorite Trail:   yeah right

Purchased At:   Sturtevants Mtn. Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   2002 Intense Tracer, 05' Stumpjumper Expert

Bike Setup:   Stock, with a new Specialized seat with holes for my taint/balls, my own suspension settings, will be looking for a new carbon bar soon (they look cool alright!)

Submitted by Eddie T a Cross Country Rider from seattle wa

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    THE BIKE IS UNDER 30LBS GREAT COMPONETS BUILD QUALITY LOTS OF GREAT STUFF. I OWN A OXYGEN RACE 2000 AND LOVE IT IS WELL.RMB TO THE END.

Weaknesses:    NONE YET.

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE I, SAVED 400 BUCKS AT GREGG'S IT RETAILED FOR 2000. THE SUSPENSION IS SWEET SHIFTS GREAT.FOR THE TERRAIN IN SEATTLE THIS BIKE IS IDEAL.

Favorite Trail:   ST.EDDIE'S PARK

Purchased At:   GREGGS CYCLE

Similar Products Used:   ENDURO 130 COMP,TREK FUEL 55

Bike Setup:   STOCK

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Sylmar, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2006

Strengths:    Great suspension that keeps you tires on the dirt. Almost no pedal bob. Geometry that is ideal for climbing as well as for steep decents. Very good handling.

Bottom Line:
Great all around bike, does pretty much everything. Not exactly made for racing because of its wider tires. Probably the best bike for the price in its class. Rocky Mountain makes great bikes which are designed to last. If your a biker that likes to hit the tough and rugged trails for fun then this is the best bike. If your into xc racing i would look at the Rocky Mountain Element.

Purchased At:   Cycleworld

Similar Products Used:   Canondale Prophet
GF Cake 3 DLX

Submitted by Vick a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Strengths:    Build quality: lots of attention to detail, excellent welding. On RM's website they list this bike uner "All Mountain" eventhough it should really be listed as a XC bike. Love the HFX-9 brakes, and compontentry for the price. Can't beat it. Local company (I traverse between Seattle and Vancouver bi-weekly) and parts availability is no problem.

Weaknesses:    Marzocchi EXR Pro Coil makes a bit of noice, but that's just the way the shock is. A bit heavy (weighed in at 31.5lbs) but rides like dream. Other then that, none really.

Bottom Line:
For the price, this is the best bike in its class. The fact that everyone and their mom rides Specialized (although w/ good reasons in some cases), this bike stands out as a tough competitor. These bikes are tested on Northwest trails and designed for NW riding, so if you live in the area, this bike is going to be a dream. Did I mention the 2006 Slayer got the "bike of the year"? Highly reccomended.

Purchased At:   Gregg's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Enduro 130 Comp, Stumpy FSR Comp, Trek Fuel 55

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mikes bikes sucks mikes bikes sucks a Weekend Warrior from mikes bikes sucks

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2006

Strengths:    mikes bikes sucks butt

Weaknesses:    mikes bikes sucks butt

Bottom Line:
mikes bikes sucks butt

Favorite Trail:   mikes bikes sucks

Purchased At:   mikes bikes sucks

Similar Products Used:   mikes bikes sucks butt

Bike Setup:   mikes bikes sucks butt

Submitted by jeff a Cross Country Rider from a town

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2005

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    this bike sucked ....Everything broke ...Cheap parts were used and the so called hand built wheels fell apart after a month of rides. Please do not buy this bike or any other Rocky Mtn. Products. The company did not support me at all on this and that saids it all.

Bottom Line:
Try any other brand but a Rocky Mtn bike.

Favorite Trail:   any

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2005

Strengths:    Built tough! No flex whatsoever in the frame or linkages (I'm 6'2' and 220 lbs). Rear suspension is magic, almost zero pedal bob on climbs and opens to full plush the moment you hit a bump. Combined with Fox TALAS fork makes a very well balanced bike. Suspension gives great traction and the design makes full use of travel. Geometry is great, good for climbing, excellent on descents. Stable, comfortable and confident handling.

Weaknesses:    High centre of gravity may take getting used to, a bit heavy but built tough! Compared to other bikes (Jamis XLT), a bit expensive considering the components you get, but frame quality is rock solid. Sluggish acceleration but this isn't a race bike!

Bottom Line:
A great all round trail bike. Plush, balanced suspension, great handling and a quality build. Would recommend to anyone riding tough, technical trails for fun. The rear suspension is outstanding.

Favorite Trail:   LOTS

Purchased At:   Tony's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Test rode Jamis XLT, Giant AC. Old bike was a Jamis hard tail.

Bike Setup:   Stock - Hayes 9s, LX front and rear, deore shifters, Mavic 117 rims, Rocky MTN stems, bars and seatpost, Fox Float R Propedal shock. Upgraded to Fox TALAS 130 fork, Crank Bros candy pedals and WTB Laser V saddle. Tioga blue dragon 2.3 tyres.

Submitted by ken a Cross Country Rider from el cerrito,ca, usa

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Strengths:    very solid, good on single track, great climbing and descending. choosing lines has become optional - this machine justs soaks it up. sometimes i feel like i'm riding an assault weapon rather than a bicycle. i am faster on this bike than all of the lighter bikes i've owned.

Weaknesses:    The vanilla forks bob a little too much when out of the saddle.

Bottom Line:
i was afraid the weight would hold me back but i was dead wrong, this bike is amazing. i did a tri on this bike and i passed half the field after a bad start. the harder you abuse this bike the better it performs.

Favorite Trail:   too many to count

Purchased At:   mikes bikes