Rocky Mountain Element 50 XC Full Suspension

4.63/5 (94 Reviews)
MSRP : $1949.99

The Element 50 features Rocky Mountain's FORM™ designed and manufactured high performance alloy frame. The philosophy behind FORM™Tubing isTo pushThe limits ofTube and frame designTo createThe frame's unique riding feel. The Element 50 comes equipped with a Fox rear shock and fork and Rocky Mountain's revolutionary ABC™ PivotTechnology, allowing for significant increases in stiffness overTraditional sealed bearing pivots, while reducingThe bike's overall weight. Frame: FORM™ 7005 Series Custom

Submitted by max_lombardy

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2013

Strengths:    Looks, weight, suspension performance, geo, stiffness, slick cable routing, the list goes on

Weaknesses:    I suppose I can only think of one. It would be nice to have a 12x142 rear axle option.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the frame only (2013). I LOVE this bike! I picked up the 50 MSL frame, and have it custom built. I slapped some Haven carbon wheels, XO trail brakes, a Sram 1x10 drivetrain with the Turbine crank and a Revelation RCT3 130-150 in matte black.
This bike blows away all other 5" travel bikes I've ridden. It's very light and nimble, but it holds it together well in the chunk too. I don't hesitate to push this bike hard, and it pulls off 3' drops like nothing. I usually leave the fork in the 130mm setting, but for long DH sections I might bump it up to 150, just cuz. I also have a SB66c, and I love having both bikes to choose from based on trail and my mood. They look fairly similar, but are really completely different, and even on the same trail they will make for very different rides. What I like about this bike is that it's super light (23#!), nimble, and just plain fun to flick around. The Yeti, on the other hand, is a bit more stable and somewhat less flickable, but it steamrolls stuff on the trail that makes the MSL just come to life.

Submitted by todd v a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Strengths:    solid and competent. drivetrain, shocks, frame, brakes

Weaknesses:    clearcoat

Bottom Line:
for 19 years i rode a bridgestone mb0. i bought it my junior year in HS. Handbuilt steel frame, solid suntour components. what more could i need? well, an upgrade to shimano trigger shifters and v brakes in 1997. that held me over until last month.

in that month that i have been riding the element msl 70, i have fallen in love with riding all over again. i have also had to learn how to ride all over again..

this bike, now that i am starting to figure it out, is amazing. i bought it used for us$1800 and it is more bike than i ever thought i would own.

the drivetrain is super smooth and solid, the brakes strong as funk. while i have nothing to compare it to, the suspension is incredible. climbing took a bit getting used to, but now i can easily get up switchbacks and steps that i would never even have considered trying with my old bridgestone. dialed in and headed downhill, it allows the most insane lines and forgives some of the mightiest fail.
that being said, this bike has 120mm, so it's no insane freeride machine, but it does take reasonable drops and rocks with ease. for xc or just plain hauling ass through the woods for fun, this bike is where it's at.

while i was a bit hesitant to go to carbon, this frame is burly. when i was cleaning out the headset, the head and top tubes felt surprisingly thick and smooth. after installing some clear protective film, i feel unworried.
well, at least for the safety of my bike. the increase in speed this bike engenders makes me think full face a bit more frequently lately...

my only complaint is the pathetic clearcoat that is just peeling off. no es bueno. at some point i'll have to take it apart and paint it. but really, the bike rides so amazingly well, i couldn't give less intercourses.

Favorite Trail:   hobbs state park, ar

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   bridgestone mb0, giant trance x2

Bike Setup:   stock 2011

Submitted by jonnybegood a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Hard wearing , well designed, plush suspension , timeless looks

Weaknesses:    Nowt

Bottom Line:
Got one second hand off pinkbike, its 2004 model with upgrades , I sell bikes so have tested quite a few different types of all ages , i like rm especially the older models and thought it would be a good cheap winter stomper , it feels so nimble and responsive , mines got a short stem with wide bars and lovely revelation dual air forks which makes it ultra controllable when going down hill , I don't think I'll ever sell it , if you ever get chance to get one I highly recommend doing so , peace

Favorite Trail:   anything in scotland

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Focus super bud, specialized xc fsr,

Bike Setup:   Pro atherton stem and risers rockshox revelations ,

Submitted by mtnbiker64 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    very nimble thru twisty sections, climbs very well, front and rear suspension works well together,

Weaknesses:    have had an occassional pedal strike

Bottom Line:
Bike handles extremely well, swapped out stock Ikon tires for Trail Kings, much better traction, very light which helps it climb well especially when seated, Formula brakes make some noise but I'm coming from Avids which always made noise, Fox suspension works well front and rear, XT drivetrain is as good as it gets, don't need XTR, went from a Specialized FSR, very happy,

Favorite Trail:   Moon Lake, Pa

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Element 50 MSL, Fox suspension, Easton bar/stem/seatpost, Formula RX brakes, XT drivetrain, DT Swiss wheelset, Continental Trail Kings 26 x2.2, Fizik Gobi saddle, Lizaed Skin lock-on grips, Magic Shine headlamp for night rides,

Submitted by Patrick

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    great geometry, good descender, stiff frame

Weaknesses:    pricey, rear susp. eat energy (can fell the rear end shortenen when compressing), poor square bumb absortion.

Bottom Line:
nice bike on almost flat land or for going down the hill, but not a good climber.
I'm not in love with this rear susp system (Spec alike)
need to lock rear shock when climbing steep trails, it also bob alot

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem, Ibis Mojo sl, GF sugar

Bike Setup:   stock xept tires

Submitted by roger a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable trail bike also suitable for single track. Not a bomber. Also Its sturdy enough for a clydesdale size rider like myself

Weaknesses:    The tires that came standard were too slick for the high dust content of nor-cal trails during the summer. Also the tubes were too thin and both went flat after two weeks. New tubes have had no problems.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from an 04 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. So there really is no comparison except that obviously the RM is heavier. But not so heavy that its holding me back hill climbing (thats my own issue). The handle bars have a slight downward slope which I was leery of in the beginning, but I've found the position to be more comfortable in the long term. Its an expensive bike and a fun bike. I understand there are better bang for the buck out there. I have no regrets. You can spend $1k more and go carbon, but for my more relaxed style its not worth it.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   Three Ring Cycles

Submitted by hags707 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, Looks, Rear lock out, Ability to handle it when the trail get a little rough

Weaknesses:    Price, Stock spec is okay.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, very happy with its trail manners, like's to be ridden hard. Have a hard time using all the rear travel

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeback at Moose Mountain

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   I am 225lbs riding weight and have 90lbs in fork and 160lbs in shock. Race Face turbine stem and bar, rock shox reverb

Submitted by ash

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    Accelerates really well for an alloy bike, lightweight, nimble handling, climbs and descends far better than its spec sheet suggests it should.

Weaknesses:    a tad expensive for the components.

Bottom Line:
Ive only ridden this bike for 7 hours so far but it is amazing! Its the 2012 model Element 50. The suspension has a stiff action, which helps it pedal well, and it still soaks enough hits to stay in control, but its not plush like my brothers fuel ex. As an allrounder i think this bike is hard to beat. The trails around here are everything from steep loose rocky eroded firetrails to flowing singletrack and it feels fantastic on everything ive ridden so far. I did notice a few more pedal strikes than on my old giant hardtail, i guess the bottom bracket is lower. Maybe thats why it rails corners so well. I think I'm going to enjoy this thing for years!

Submitted by ME a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    Ridiculously light, strong frame, smooth shifting, great stopping power, looks amazing, quality components just a wonderful bike.

Weaknesses:    Zero

Bottom Line:
I really love this bike. Bought it off a buddy because he is upgrading, but wow. This bike is quick, light and stays suprisingly well planted on the trails. Extremely happy with this purchase. I also found that climbing is significantly easier with this bike. I had always struggled with this previously. Bike is very predictable and easy to manouver on trails. Out riding in Canmore right now and the element is preforming like a champ. Would definititely recommend this bike for cross country enthusiasts.

Favorite Trail:   River valley edmonton

Purchased At:   Buddy

Bike Setup:   Stock except swapped hutcinson tires for specialized tubeless.

Submitted by brendenalenden a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2012

Strengths:    Ease of suspension lock out/open rear suspension, quality of suspension system, super light carbon frame

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is my first XC bike, so it's hard a little hard to compare to others but so far I love it. I only have a few rides under my belt so far, but I am having a blast on it so far. This thing is super light and smooth on the uphill and holds strong on steep technical trails on the downhills. Coming from a 6" bike that I am used to pushing many sections uphill, I am pedaling sections with confidence that I have never made it up and decending trails nearly as fast and confident as with my 6" bike.

Favorite Trail:   Pipestone

Similar Products Used:   Norco Six, Norco Fluid LT

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Reptilehouse a Cross Country Rider from Reston, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2012

Strengths:    Light, stiff, fast, efficient, strong like bull

Weaknesses:    No more excuses

Bottom Line:
The 2012 Rocky Mountain Element 70 MSL is fast, very fast. The bike is light, yet it holds a line like a tank – not much rattles it. With regards to parts selection, everybody has their preferences so buying a complete bike entails some level of compromise. With that said, however, the parts spec is solid. The new Shimano XT drivetrain and brakes work flawlessly and the Fox 15mm through axle fork effectively compliments the Fox RP23 shock.
As intended, this bike is very stiff, yet responsive. It climbs and descends admirably and pedals on the flats with inspiring efficiency. At 120mm of travel it is a classic quality vs. quantity scenario. Roots, rocks, jumps, drops – indulge with confidence my friend.

The bike looks killer too. Matte black is dead-sexy and the details are spot on – internal cable routing; built-in anti-chain-suck and anti-chain-drop devices; idiot-proof sag indicator; unsupported seat mast; all equate to a smooth, utilitarian affair.

The Element MSL truly is a special ride. If you are in the market for a do-it-all trail bike, take note. It’s no Cadillac, or free ride beast, but an efficient, balanced, elegant machine. With a little finesse and fitness, this bike will take you where you want to go….faster.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on today

Purchased At:   Huck N Roll

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer X, Turner 5 Spot

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain and brakes; Fox 120 RL fork; Mavic XM 819 / King wheels; Thomson stem. etc.

Submitted by rd1 a All Mountain Rider from Tamarac, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Strengths:    I love this bike...it goes fast! Perfect Bob going on here! My name is RD and I don't get drunk, I get AWESOME! Bikes, Fishing & Kittens!

Weaknesses:    Difficult when DO rides the handlebars.

Bottom Line:
Rulz!

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park Rules!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bike Country USA

Similar Products Used:   Huffy

Bike Setup:   I diit myself!

Submitted by h_beck83 a Cross Country Rider from hendersonville, nc

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing. Good components for the price. Great price for a carbon fiber frame.

Weaknesses:    Shifter cable housing, rear suspension lacks plushness, grips suck

Bottom Line:
This bike is the first bike that I have owned that leans more toward crosscountry than all mountain and so I am comparing it to all mountain trail bikes. None-the-less, it climbs phenomenally and efficiently. I bought the MSL30 because it was affordable, and have to say that the components are not horrible. The front forks are so so, the grips should be lock ons, and the cable housing creates bad shifting. The handling is nice and corners well but lacks a plush feel on the way down--not bad but not great. Overall, the bike is exactly what I was looking for within my budget. It is the best bike I have owned to date but would have gone with the MSL50 if I could have.

Favorite Trail:   cedar mountain and others at dupont state park

Price Paid:    $1900.00