Rocky Mountain Element 50 XC Full Suspension

4.7/5 (23 Reviews)
MSRP : $1949.99

The Element 50 features Rocky Mountain's FORM™ designed and manufactured high performance alloy frame. The philosophy behind FORM™Tubing isTo pushThe limits ofTube and frame designTo createThe frame's unique riding feel. The Element 50 comes equipped with a Fox rear shock and fork and Rocky Mountain's revolutionary ABC™ PivotTechnology, allowing for significant increases in stiffness overTraditional sealed bearing pivots, while reducingThe bike's overall weight. Frame: FORM™ 7005 Series Custom

Submitted by roger a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable trail bike also suitable for single track. Not a bomber. Also Its sturdy enough for a clydesdale size rider like myself

Weaknesses:    The tires that came standard were too slick for the high dust content of nor-cal trails during the summer. Also the tubes were too thin and both went flat after two weeks. New tubes have had no problems.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from an 04 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. So there really is no comparison except that obviously the RM is heavier. But not so heavy that its holding me back hill climbing (thats my own issue). The handle bars have a slight downward slope which I was leery of in the beginning, but I've found the position to be more comfortable in the long term. Its an expensive bike and a fun bike. I understand there are better bang for the buck out there. I have no regrets. You can spend $1k more and go carbon, but for my more relaxed style its not worth it.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   Three Ring Cycles

Submitted by ash

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    Accelerates really well for an alloy bike, lightweight, nimble handling, climbs and descends far better than its spec sheet suggests it should.

Weaknesses:    a tad expensive for the components.

Bottom Line:
Ive only ridden this bike for 7 hours so far but it is amazing! Its the 2012 model Element 50. The suspension has a stiff action, which helps it pedal well, and it still soaks enough hits to stay in control, but its not plush like my brothers fuel ex. As an allrounder i think this bike is hard to beat. The trails around here are everything from steep loose rocky eroded firetrails to flowing singletrack and it feels fantastic on everything ive ridden so far. I did notice a few more pedal strikes than on my old giant hardtail, i guess the bottom bracket is lower. Maybe thats why it rails corners so well. I think I'm going to enjoy this thing for years!

Submitted by wilkinm a Cross Country Rider from Newhall

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    Locking front fork and pro pedal rear make this a great climber, really fast and agile on ST and the bike is fairly light

Weaknesses:    Shimano 525 rear hub, died after approx 1200 miles, stock tires have a very short life

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, have taken it through all types of terrain with a wide range of distances and have never felt like the bike was holding me back. Am 6'even and the 20.5" frame feels perfect for me and do not feel cramped at all. Would definitely recommend this bike to anyone who rides or races.

Favorite Trail:   all with dirt

Purchased At:   MIke's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Various hard tails, Giant 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of XT rear hub

Submitted by racerbrown a Weekend Warrior from Havre, MT

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2009

Strengths:    light weight. looks awesome. chicks dig it.

Weaknesses:    chain has come off a couple times.

Bottom Line:
this bike goes anywhere. It will make an ordinary rider feel like a pro. I will probly have mine for at least 10 years or so and Im not worried about it becoming outdated because it is such a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   first mountain bike ive ever owned.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Wilkenstein a Cross Country Rider from Northern VA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    The frame and brakes are alone worth the price I paid for this bike. Awsome, awsome, awsome. Frame is handbuilt in Canada, not on an assembly line in Taiwan. Amazing climbing ability from a FS bike. Superb downhill manners for an XC oriented bike.

Weaknesses:    Shimano 525 hubs and LX cassette weigh a ton but have proven reliable so far. Main pivot will come loose if not torqued and loctited correctly.

Bottom Line:
Look for these things on sale and jump on it. That's what I did and am extremely happy I did so.

I weigh 185 neked and ride typical mid atlantic singletrack. I have raced it in an exterra duathlon and a 12 hour race so far and loved it. I plan on many more races in the year.

I'm swapping out the cassette as soon as possible and I'm going to start saving for a custom wheelset. I think a nice wheelset will compliment this frame beautifully and shave quite a bike of weight.

For the price I paid I'm giving it 5 chilis, but if I had paid full price I probably wouldn't as some of the components are iffy.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead or Quantico

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Hudson Trail Outfitt

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension, but other rides include 98' Cannondale f400 and 04' Giant XTC2.

Bike Setup:   Foam grips, thomson elite seatpost (only because I already had it), WTB rocket V saddle.

Submitted by GVM a Cross Country Rider from ccs

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Very Fast (than my older Stumjumper 2005), Very Confortable, nice Geometry, Great climbing traction, Good weight put out of the box in 12klg.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Incredibly fast, better than a climb to a Hardtail, very smooth and comfortable ride, 100% recommended, very secure in donwhill and really do not believe how fast you go, the machine is very fast and reliable, has a good stiffness and can be very safe on the road.

Favorite Trail:   Los Paulinos

Purchased At:   www.bicyclettesdehul

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumjumper

Bike Setup:   Fox RL 100, Fox RP23, LX/XT, Components Raceface Evolve XC, Fromula oro 24, Mavic and hutchintong tires.

Submitted by Dirk a Cross Country Rider from Gallup, NM

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2009

Strengths:    The Element's frame construction and ride characteristics are definitely strenths to this bike. Also, the coupling of the frame with Formula Oro brakes, and the complimentary Fox fork and shock make this bike plush and confident at the same time.

Weaknesses:    For a $2400 bike, some of the components appeared lower end for that price range (the LX front der. for example). Yet, none of them have failed me yet and have meshed together quite well into a smooth machine.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an excellent example of a mountain bike for the "working man" looking for high performance fun. If you are really into racing, there are lighter (and more expensive) rigs out there for you. If you want to huck off everything under the sun, be sure to buy a something built for that purpose. But if you want to ride as efficiently and fast as possible with your riding buddies or in the local race, this bike fits the ticket. It is not the bike that will the World Cup, but it sure makes me grin every time that I ride it, and that is the biggest prize of all.

Favorite Trail:   Pete's Wicked Trail

Purchased At:   Grand Rapids Bicyle

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails-Diamond Back and Trek
Full Suspension-Specialized FSR Elite

Bike Setup:   Stock except for chrome egg beaters.

Submitted by ravewoofer a Cross Country Rider from Southwest of Boston

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is extremely stable over the rough stuff at high speeds. Slick roots and rocks? No problem. Once dialed in, the Element just flat out motors. The most noticible aspect of the bike is how smooth it goes over the rocks and ruts. I'm not sure if it's due to the carbon seat stays or the custom tuned RP23 shock, but the bumps are heavily damped out. What's left is the feeling of just pedaling smooth circles. The faster you pedal, the quicker the bike goes. I really can't feel any unwanted feedback through the pedal stroke.

Weaknesses:    I did crack the swingarm down at the yoke, but this happenend nearly a year after purchase. The frame is warranted for 5 years and Rocky Mountain replaced it immediately. Rocky Mountain has added an extra piece of aluminum between the yoke for additional strength. I must say, even with the crack, I was able to ride as often, fast and hard as I liked.

Bottom Line:
I will not give up this bike! In fact, if anything goes wrong, I'll gladly buy another Rocky Mountain product. It's crazy fast and strong through all types of conditions.
The Rocky Mountain Element makes XC riding a blast!

Favorite Trail:   If you don't know, I ain't tellin'

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Foxboro Bike

Similar Products Used:   I only rode hard tails before the dualie.

Bike Setup:   The bike is stock except for the following upgrades:
Selle Italia flite saddle
Chris King Hubs and headset
Mavic 717 rims
XTR metallic brake pads
XTR rear derraileur
XT Front derraileur

Submitted by Flat Ark a Racer from Rogers, AR USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2008

Strengths:    The handling is razor sharp. Best climbing bike that I have ever ridden and the front end stays planted on steep climbs. Front and rear suspension feels perfectly balanced and soaks up everything. Propedal eliminates any possible suspension bob and the bike feels like a hard tail. The Formula brakes are awesome.

Weaknesses:    Frame could be a "little" lighter.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is the perfect XC racing machine IMO. The previous reviewer "seemed" to imply that the Element is not really suited for XC racing due to it having a short TT. Do your homework and check the actual #'s. Maybe he should have purchased 1 size larger. Anyhow the Element does everything right. It handles/accelerates/tracks/climbs better than any bike that I have ever owned or ridden all the while soaking up the bumps. I highly recommend this bike for anyone who is in the market for a fast/capable XC bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hobb's

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Mojo's

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Dos Niner

Bike Setup:   Race Face Next SL 3/4 riser bar, RF Next SL post, Sram XO twisties, Truvativ Noir Crank, XT cassette, X9 Rr Der, American Classic wheels w/ceramic bearings-titanium Q-releases-Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Formula Oro K24 brakes, SB-8 on the rear and Crossmark on the front "tubeless".

Submitted by Ricksom a Racer from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    - Good value
- Responsive turning
- Well balanced suspension
- Great climber
- Fun to ride
- Excels in twisty, flowing singletrack
- Much better bike than their older Instinct line

Weaknesses:    - Shortish top tube may be cramped for some
- Lowish bottom bracket hits more things than I am used to
- Not particularly good for racing

Bottom Line:
Fun bike to ride in twisty, flowing single-track. Handles technical sections very well too. Because the bike geometry forces you in a more upright, freeride position than I am used to, it is not ideal for racing. But for ripping your favourite single-track without a care for lap times, this bike is ideal and very comfortable.
Very responsive turning, more than my Titus. Can hold a very tight turning radius. Stable on the technical stuff and at higher speeds. An all out pleasure to ride, and looks good too!

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest

Similar Products Used:   Titus RacerX (great racer and trail bike)
Rocky Mountain Instinct (pre Element brand)
Rocky Mountain Vertex

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Rock solid stability, razor sharp handling, fantastic climber, trail trash rolling resistance (it goes over everything with little to no drama), fairly light.

Weaknesses:    A bit of bob when climbing out of the saddle, but you feel so great after the down hills it doesn't seem to matter.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my entry of a few months ago. My RM Element 50 continues to impress. At 44 I had all but given up trail riding due to lower back problems on my old hard tail. I now ride, not so much faster, but with so much more endurance and fluidity it's scary. I literally find myself smiling after easily passing sections of trail I either dreaded or had problems negotiating in the past. I highly recommend this bike to anyone who wants a bike that feels like an extension of your own body and only has you going back to the bike shop to thank them for selling you such a great bike. Speaking of which, if your in GR stop by and see Brian and/or Sam at Grand Rapids Bicycle Co., they are the best!

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs

Purchased At:   Grand Rapids Bicycle Co.

Similar Products Used:   Tested various products from Cannondale, Specialized, Giant and Gary Fisher.

Bike Setup:   Stock with upgraded RaceFace crank set, composite seat post, bar ends, Oury grips.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Extremely comfortable, responsive, downright lively. Fast on the downhill, and a faster climber than my old hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Wish it was a bit lighter.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. I rode a ton of bikes until my brother in law pushed me to try a Rcky Mtn. What an awesome bike. While it's a bit heavier than some of the others I tried, I actually think I climb faster on this bike than I do on others. I would absolutely buy another Rocky Mountain, although I'm going to be on this for years to come.

Similar Products Used:   Old school Kona, Cannondale, Gary Fisher

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2008

Strengths:    The bike is so fast, the components are amazing and the handling is unmatched by any other bike.

Weaknesses:    Rider training must be increased to match the performance of the bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike handles better than any other bike I have ridden. The stock components are top-notch (I am a grip shift guy though). The Formula ORO brakes are incredible, no squeaking and amazing power and modulation. Thank you Rocky for putting them on at the factory. The suspension and geometry make this bike both smooth enough for a fun weekend of trail riding and weekend races. I am looking forward to doing to the BC Bike race at the end of June and the Epic 8 hour race at the end of May.

THIS BIKE IS AMAZING!

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Kingston

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX, Rocky Mountain - Stratos, Rocky Mountain Element, Gary Fisher HiFi

Bike Setup:   SRAM X.O Grip Shift with X.9 Front and Rear Shifting. ODI Lock on Grips, Formula ORO K24 Brakes, Raceface Crank, stem, bars, seatpost, WTB Saddle, Crankbrothers Candy Pedals.

Submitted by Michael from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    Great design. Purpose built, solid and @ 25 Lbs fairly light.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
As quick as my old hard tail on climbs. Great in the turns yet oh so comfortable on big down hills and all the trail junk you encounter on long CX rides. It feels so solidly well centered you can just aim and shoot on any part of the trail with no worries.

Purchased At:   Grand Rapids Bicycle Co.

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ carbon bars and seat post adds.

Submitted by JOHN DIONNE a Cross Country Rider from HAMILTON,ONT , CANANDA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2007

Strengths:    Overall great bike good geometry, feels good on the road and seriuos trails

Weaknesses:    So far I have had it a month in the 1st week lockout on rear shock went, took back to the shop been without a bike for 1 1/2 weeks, poor service from ROCKY MOUNTAIN no way to contact them with concerns, Fox shocks isn't a whole lot better, I would think that they would be s embarrassed that the product failed prior to even seeing the trails, that they would send out a new shock no charge to keep me rolling, guess not.....

Bottom Line:
Great design poor service,terrible customer relation, probably would by a different brand that is more customer friendly, I bought Canadian and kind of regret it.

Favorite Trail:   waterdown