Rocky Mountain Element 50 MSL XC Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

FeaturingThe same frame as its big brother (the Element 70),The Element 50 is a forceTo be reckoned with onTheTrail. DesignedTo be both über-light and über-stiff,The Element is capable of achieving incredible levels of performance without sacrificing durability. Equipped with Rocky Mountain's innovative weight saving ABCTechnology and Fox forks and shocks,The Element is highly efficient while still being ableTo handle hard hits. Frame: FORM™ C13 Hi Mod Carbon Smoothwall Monocoque. ABC™ Piv

Submitted by max_lombardy

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2013

Strengths:    Looks, weight, suspension performance, geo, stiffness, slick cable routing, the list goes on

Weaknesses:    I suppose I can only think of one. It would be nice to have a 12x142 rear axle option.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the frame only (2013). I LOVE this bike! I picked up the 50 MSL frame, and have it custom built. I slapped some Haven carbon wheels, XO trail brakes, a Sram 1x10 drivetrain with the Turbine crank and a Revelation RCT3 130-150 in matte black.
This bike blows away all other 5" travel bikes I've ridden. It's very light and nimble, but it holds it together well in the chunk too. I don't hesitate to push this bike hard, and it pulls off 3' drops like nothing. I usually leave the fork in the 130mm setting, but for long DH sections I might bump it up to 150, just cuz. I also have a SB66c, and I love having both bikes to choose from based on trail and my mood. They look fairly similar, but are really completely different, and even on the same trail they will make for very different rides. What I like about this bike is that it's super light (23#!), nimble, and just plain fun to flick around. The Yeti, on the other hand, is a bit more stable and somewhat less flickable, but it steamrolls stuff on the trail that makes the MSL just come to life.

Submitted by mtnbiker64 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    very nimble thru twisty sections, climbs very well, front and rear suspension works well together,

Weaknesses:    have had an occassional pedal strike

Bottom Line:
Bike handles extremely well, swapped out stock Ikon tires for Trail Kings, much better traction, very light which helps it climb well especially when seated, Formula brakes make some noise but I'm coming from Avids which always made noise, Fox suspension works well front and rear, XT drivetrain is as good as it gets, don't need XTR, went from a Specialized FSR, very happy,

Favorite Trail:   Moon Lake, Pa

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Element 50 MSL, Fox suspension, Easton bar/stem/seatpost, Formula RX brakes, XT drivetrain, DT Swiss wheelset, Continental Trail Kings 26 x2.2, Fizik Gobi saddle, Lizaed Skin lock-on grips, Magic Shine headlamp for night rides,

Submitted by hags707 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, Looks, Rear lock out, Ability to handle it when the trail get a little rough

Weaknesses:    Price, Stock spec is okay.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, very happy with its trail manners, like's to be ridden hard. Have a hard time using all the rear travel

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeback at Moose Mountain

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   I am 225lbs riding weight and have 90lbs in fork and 160lbs in shock. Race Face turbine stem and bar, rock shox reverb

Submitted by brendenalenden a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2012

Strengths:    Ease of suspension lock out/open rear suspension, quality of suspension system, super light carbon frame

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is my first XC bike, so it's hard a little hard to compare to others but so far I love it. I only have a few rides under my belt so far, but I am having a blast on it so far. This thing is super light and smooth on the uphill and holds strong on steep technical trails on the downhills. Coming from a 6" bike that I am used to pushing many sections uphill, I am pedaling sections with confidence that I have never made it up and decending trails nearly as fast and confident as with my 6" bike.

Favorite Trail:   Pipestone

Similar Products Used:   Norco Six, Norco Fluid LT

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by rockyuphill a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    Plush and active suspension, stiff and responsive frame, great handling

Weaknesses:    The BB is low enough to cause the occasional pedal strike.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Element 70 MSL when my Element Team frame was going to be delayed a couple of months, my plan was to ride the MSL 70 with my old drivetrain and brakes and see how I liked the 120mm travel bike, thinking I might flip it when my 100mm Team RSL frame arrived. But the Element Team RSL and 70 MSL have the same DNA but very different personalities and behaviours. The 70 MSL (and the 50 MSL) has a more relaxed head angle and a more plush rear suspension than the Element RSL. I've found that I like both bikes for their specific handling and ride quality, so the MSL 70 makes a great trail bike. The geometry is well suited to the technical XC trails in this part of the world, it is a very confidence inspiring bike on wood bridges and tight twisty trails that the Altitude can feel a bit long for.

The BB is fairly low on the 120mm travel MSL, only 7mm higher than the 100mm travel version so I have had pedal strike that I wouldn't have had on my ETSX Team, but the bike rails on trails because of that lower BB. So it's worth working around. I'll be keeping both the Element Team RSL and the Element 70 MSL and match them to the trail characteristics. Because as they say... nothing exceeds like excess.

Favorite Trail:   anything Squamish

Purchased At:   Different Bikes

Similar Products Used:   RMB Slayer SXC, RMB ETSX Team, RMB Altitude 90, RMB Element Team RSL

Bike Setup:   Swapped the stock 2x10 XT drivetrain and Formula brakes off to use a 3x9 970 XTR build kit that I had on hand, I needed the 3x9 gearing for some of my climbs.

Paid Spam - Element 50 MSL frame + fork for sale

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=82299&cat=]2012 Rocky Mountain Element 50 MSL Frame Fox Fork extras - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Figured someone here might be interested. If you are local to SE MA, RI or CT and can meet or pick up the pr ... Read More »

Element 50 MSL?

I'm looking at the Element 50 MSL Jenson has on sale. Any input on ride quality? I'm currently riding a 2010 Specialized FSR. Aside from the weight difference (carbon vs aluminum) what can I expect to feel? The specs on the Element are a lot better than what I'm currently riding. I'd be going from a ... Read More »

Element 50 MSL vs Ibis Mojo SL special blend

I am looking at the Rocky Mountain Element 50 MSL and the Ibis Mojo SL Special blend that are both available at Henson. Was wondering if anyone has ridden both? Opinions? Intersted in the bottom bracket height. I've heard the Eelement is low and pedal strikes happen frequently. Ibis has a bit more f ... Read More »