Rocky Mountain Element 30 XC Full Suspension

• Brake Levers: Shimano M525
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore

Submitted by jonnybegood a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Hard wearing , well designed, plush suspension , timeless looks

Weaknesses:    Nowt

Bottom Line:
Got one second hand off pinkbike, its 2004 model with upgrades , I sell bikes so have tested quite a few different types of all ages , i like rm especially the older models and thought it would be a good cheap winter stomper , it feels so nimble and responsive , mines got a short stem with wide bars and lovely revelation dual air forks which makes it ultra controllable when going down hill , I don't think I'll ever sell it , if you ever get chance to get one I highly recommend doing so , peace

Favorite Trail:   anything in scotland

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Focus super bud, specialized xc fsr,

Bike Setup:   Pro atherton stem and risers rockshox revelations ,

Submitted by TechnoDude94 a Cross Country Rider from Kuala Lumpur

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2010

Strengths:    An excellent bike. It's quite light at 12.5 kg (according to my setup). It handles very well and rides as smooth as a baby's bottom!

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses so far after 1 month of riding/testing.

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with this bike (so far). Have had no issues with it for the past month. If you want a budget full-sus XC bike, you should get it. If you're looking for something sexier, maybe a Giant Anthem would suit you better (just my opinion).

Favorite Trail:   FRIM/KDCF/Kiara/Kemensah

Similar Products Used:   A class like no other, nothing similar!

Bike Setup:   Frame: Rocky Mountain Element 30
Fork: Manitou R7 MRD Absolute
Brakes: Shimano XT BR-775 (Calipers)/BL-775 (Levers)/SM-RT78 (160mm Centre Lock Rotors)
Casette: Shimano XT CS-M770
Chain: Shimano XTR CN-7701
Crank: Shimano XT FC-M770
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT FD-M770
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow RD-772-GS
Shifters: Shimano XT Rapidfire Plus SL-M770
Stem: Truvativ Sylo Team (Black)
Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet (Grey)
Handlebar: Race Face Next SL Riser (Carbon)
Grips: Da Bomb Holy (White)
Pedals: Da Bomb Napalm (White)
Saddle: WTB Pure V (Grey)
Seatpost: Da Bomb Hellfire XC (Black)
Wheelset: DT Swiss X1900 (1.9kg)
Tires: Hutchinson Python Tubeless Light (2.0")
Cyclometer: Topeak Panoram V12 Wide Screen (Wireless)
Pump: Topeak PocketShock DXG (Replica)
Light: Cateye HL-EL13, TL-LD 170
Bottle: Schwinn (750ml)
Bottle Cage: Merida Carbon MTB
Cable: Jagwire L3 for Derailleur (Red)

Submitted by asorense a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs great, descends great. Very nimble. Beautiful frame, love the carbon seat stay. So far very tough.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes feels a bit squirrely at speed. Too many Deore components.

Bottom Line:
I've flown off the front of this bike and flipped over the back hard- it is a very maneuverable and responsive bike- maybe too much so sometimes.
A really likable machine. You will be happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge Trail, Montana De Oro

Purchased At:   Mike' Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight, hard trail Treks

Bike Setup:   Stock except replaced the tires with Kenda Nevegal- big improvement.

Submitted by bikeharder a Racer from Hatfield,MA U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Great climber,tight cornering,great braking power,short wheelbase, high bottom bracket

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
This is my first duelie mt. bike, I rode a hardtail Gary Fisher prior to my element, but I love the control that I have on my element. For the price this bike just can not be beat. Stock parts include avid brakes, fox suspension, hand built wheelset and last but not least, it's not built in Taiwan. All this for $1400 bucks!!! Also, this bike can and will take anything you can throw at it. Trust me, I know. This bike is great for the weekend warrior to the hard core racer. For the price, there is nothing on the market that can touch it.

Favorite Trail:   Holyoke Range from Bacherlor St.

Purchased At:   Mt. Riders, Vermont

Submitted by David Spafford a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Strengths:    Same Rocky aluminum frame with carbon fiber seatstay as the more expensive Rocky Mountain Element 50,70 and 90. Very responsive bike, excellent for trail riding.

Weaknesses:    Marzocchi MX Pro fork is a pound heavier than the more expensive Fox 32F100RLC, but is $600 more expensive to begin with. Could also save probably 2 to 3 pounds with top of the line tires. Entry level bike with entry level components.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the money. Been in 24 hour relay and trail road most mornings this year with it.

Have three buddies with Trek Fuel EX bikes, each paid ~ approximately the same money (~$2000) for a full suspension bike. Their components are better for the same money, but the Element 30 frame is much lighter and more responsive. Comparing them together, I am probably 10-20% faster on the Element 30 than their Trek bikes.

Element 90 has the same frame but is $2500 more expensive ($4500) just because of the higher end components alone. Experienced riders may be able to tell the difference, but the Element 30 is excellent as is.

Noticed an improvement going to XTR shifting system, but this was a great frill. Standard WTB ExiWolf 2.1 tires, WTB SpeedDisc XC rims and Race Face crank are all good. Can replace crank, fork, wheels and other components when deals come up to make it an excellent XC racing bike.

Conclusion: In the long run, you are better off buying this excellent hand-crafted Canadian made frame (out of Vancouver, Canada) with low end components than a cheaper frame with better components. As I get to be a better rider, the better components will make a difference.

Favorite Trail:   Hydrocut, 30 km of trails back of my house

Purchased At:   Braun's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   my first suspension bike, also have a Rocky Mountain Metropolis bike for commuting.

Bike Setup:   replaced the Shimano Deore shifters with Shimano XTR M970 dual control and M970 derailleurs.

Submitted by Glen a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    The ride. This bike feels different than other bikes I've rode or test rode. It took a while to get used to it but now it just feels great. I had a chance to swap back to my old Trek for a few hundred meters and I couldn't believe how much more work it was to ride that Trek. That isn't a fair comparison as the Trek is over 15 years old but the geometry is what I noticed the most. I should have upgraded a long time ago. This Rocky makes riding fun again.

Weaknesses:    The rear shifter. It often miss-shifts or goes onto the wrong sprocket. I don't know if this is the fault of the bike or the components. It seems to be a common problem.

Bottom Line:
I would buy this bike again without question! This might be the bike for anybody who has tried out the rest and found something missing or they just didn't feel right. Take this one for a ride and you will know what I mean.

Purchased At:   Redbike

Similar Products Used:   Mostly Trek although I've also tried out Specialized and a Klein.

Bike Setup:   Standard set up from the factory. 18" frame.

Submitted by Jacky a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton AB

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2008

Strengths:    It is a beautiful ride with great positioning. The geometry is comfortable even though I am a gal on a guys bike. And I am happy with the clearance going over logs and stuff. As well, I really like the responsiveness on the rocky downhill sections of a trail, its nice and easy to handle, I feel totally in control and kick my bf's ass on his GT hardtail; he only sections where I wait up for him! I also love the uphill riding ability. I had a full reconstruction of my knee 3 months ago and can power uphill almost as well as I could at the end of last season in peak physical shape on my old trek hardtail. I am amazed by this!

Weaknesses:    I have had issues with the derailleur since I bought the bike. It is currently in the shop for the second time getting adjusted. When I gear down to the bottom front sprocket when I am already heading uphill, the chain jams up but doesn't actually fall off. Can't seem to figure out the problem and I am too inexperienced in bike maintenance to problem-solve it myself.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike! It is a very comparable ride to the Ladies Element but better geometry for me. I had been looking for one over the winter and finally found one at a price I found reasonable for the product. It is last years model and $700 cheaper than this years model. I would purchase this bike again but I think I will be taking a bike maintenance class this summer to help me with the issues that come up instead of having to wait for it in the shop and wasting precious ride time!

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element Ladies and Trek Ladies Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock parts.

Submitted by Benjamin a Weekend Warrior from Calgary AB

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2007

Strengths:    Beautiful frame, never seen welds so perfect. Carbon seatstay is dreamy. Component mix is well thought out out and the overall weight is decent. The Deore disks never cease to impress me given they're the cheapest brake system you can buy.

Weaknesses:    A little twitchy at speed. You have to pay attention to the front wheel. Not as forgiving as an all-mountain.

Bottom Line:
For the value... 5 chili's cuz it competes with the the price tags of cheap bikes made in china. The frame is a work of art (and the same as the higher end models). Worth every penny.

Only had it for a few weeks, but it feels great, and inspires me to pedal hard. Geometry is spot on for my style of riding. Rocky Mountain makes sick bikes.

Favorite Trail:   powderface

Purchased At:   River Valley Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain ETSX-50

Bike Setup:   Swapped on a pair of Time ATAC. Looking to switch to a Reba, a set of spinergys and possibly some formula oro K24's over the next year.

Submitted by nick a Cross Country Rider from huntington, wv

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Strengths:    high bottom bracket allows me to clear bigger logs
fairly light

Weaknesses:    the front wheel feels like it wants to tuck under you, the geom. makes this bike difficult to us for "stomach on the seat" downhill sections

Bottom Line:
this bike has served me very well in the past few months of use. i have ridden it hard and it can take the beating. the front wheel tuck makes it a little frusrating starting out but i quickly got used to it. rocky mountain makes a great bike and i would not shy away from any of their bikes.

Favorite Trail:   b'ville park

Purchased At:   pathfinder

Similar Products Used:   entry level ironhorse

Bike Setup:   all stock but stil impressive to me with the hydro brakes and other oem bling

Submitted by Adam Driedzic a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2006

Strengths:    Simple. I never have problems related to full-suspension design. sometimes I forget about it.
Cornering: short wheel base. easy to oversteer.
Stand up riding, sprinting. steep seat and head tubes.
Ground Clearance: hight bottom bracket
crotch clearance: very sloping top tube.
Wheelies: high head tube. front end comes fairly well.
Classic XC: this bike hauls on long, steady singletrack.

Weaknesses:    easy to fly over the handlebars. I did in the parking lot. Inconsistent parts quality. mixes high end and low end. Deore top to bottom would be better than XT mixed with no-name.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I will not buy an other until the frame wears out or as long as my interest remains performance recrational XC riding.

This bike will make you a better rider. You will be forced to handle the bike rather than let it handle you, but the bike is very responsive.

This bike has required a lot of maintenance.

Rocky Mountain touts itself as a "hard core" pioneer, but around Canmore they sell more bikes to wealthy vacationing yuppies. The local riders have less money so have to go for brands that offer maximum part quality for the dollar.

Favorite Trail:   wherever I'm living

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Rebound Cycle, Canmore, AB

Similar Products Used:   borrowed friend's 2000 specialized enduro and 2005 specialized enduro

Bike Setup:   mix of stock and upgrades

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from San Clemente, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2005

Strengths:    High quality frame, solid build, good component mix

Weaknesses:    Heavy, high bottom bracket/head tube, needs a better front fork.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for someone like me who rides about once or twice a week and who likes to do lots of climbing. It is great on the climbs and downhills. I'm still trying to figure out the Marzocchi fork which is way too stiff if you put the recommended pressure in for your weight. You have to literally put in 30lbs. or less to get it to spring right. That leaves little room for tweaking. Maybe it needs a break-in period, I don't know. It doesn't have a rebound adjustment either which would be nice to have.

The rear suspension on this bike is awesome. The design is pleasing to the eye and works flawlessly. The Fox Float R rear shock does it's job well. I put it on the slowest rebound and it soaks up the bumps.

The component mix is at the low end, however I have been extremely please with the Shimano brakes, shifters and derailleurs. I test-rode many other bikes with Hayes and Magura disc brakes. The Hayes were very soft and did not stop well. The Maguras seemed ok but not a good track record. The Shimano 525's have a very solid feel to them and stop you on a dime. The Deore shifters, while inexpensive, are crisp and precise. The RaceFace crank is doing it's job so far. The wheels are heavy, but they are handbuilt at the Rocky Mtn. factory and signed by the builder!

If you're looking for a handcrafted, quality bike then this is the bike for you. I chose this bike over the mass-produced overseas bikes because of the attention to frame quality and reputation. I could have gotten a bike with better components and wheels for the same amount or less, but in the long run I am looking for a bike that I can keep for several years and make periodic upgrades to if needed.

Favorite Trail:   any with hills

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance, Gary Fisher hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Buddy Rider a Cross Country Rider from Alberta

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2005

Strengths:    1) Manufacturing quality. Hand welded in Canada by pioneers of mountain biking. I have a ten year old Rocky that I will keep, and had an older one which sold instantly. The house parts (stem, bars, and seatpost) are great. No need to change unless for fit purposes.
2) Geometry: Responsive enough for high performance riding. Corners, accelerates, climbs and descends well. No handling weakness if sized properly. This XC bike would outperform a downhill bike or full suspension freeride bike in dual slalom, in the trials park, at the dirt jumps, or on a BMX/motocross track.

2) Suspension design: No gimmicks- retains a two triangle frame. Excels at flow riding on technical flats and rhythm sections. Allows popping and hopping (though not as good as a hardtail). Climbs better than my hardtail with long chainstays and relaxed tube angles, but not as well as a racing hardtail.

Weaknesses:    1) The parts on this bike are not as good as other bikes in the same price range because you are paying for a handbuild frame from a smaller company. The stock Element 30 is too heavy and slow for XC racing, yet too weak for freeriding. I performed religious by-the-book maintenance on this bike and still wore out both hubs, the bottom bracket, the headset, both fork seals, and chainring in one year. Add regular wear (brake pads, rotors, cables and housing), and the bike cost me and extra $500.00 the first year.
2) Dealership: Rocky Mountain does not invite direct consumer contact and requests that one go through a dealership. This is worthy of consideration. My bike was not tuned properly, which could have resulted in frame or part damage or injury. The bottom bracket was loose a quarter turn. The headset was loose. Some spokes were floppy loose. The chain was very long (common with Rocky Mountain) and slapped off on downhills. I also got bad chain suck and gounged my chainstay. The fork creaked constantly due to an adhesive used on the crown of EXR forks. This eventually went away.

Bottom Line:
The areas in which this bike is strong are so important (for me). The areas in which it is weak are not important (for me). This bike costs $2000.00+ Canadian for the lowest bike on the Element line, so think about it. . .
THIS BIKE IS FOR YOU IF: You enjoy home mechanics. You care more about frames than parts. You ride a bit of every discipline but like big mountain day rides the best. You would rather finance a high performance bike with periodic upgrades that pay $3000.00 up front.
THIS BIKE IS NOT FOR YOU IF: You want to race XC right now. You want a mountain bike for city park/pathway riding and commuting. You want to urban freeride. You are inexperienced with either bike maintenace or mountain riding.

Favorite Trail:   ridge rides