Rocky Mountain Element 10 XC Full Suspension

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 5.7 lbs MSRP : $1139.00

The Element 10 features Rocky Mountain's FORM™ designed and manufactured high performance alloy frame. The philosophy behind FORM™Tubing isTo pushThe limits ofTube and frame designTo createThe frame's unique riding feel. The Element 50 comes equipped with a Rock Shox rear shock and fork and Rocky Mountain's revolutionary ABC™ PivotTechnology, allowing for significant increases in stiffness overTraditional sealed bearing pivots, while reducingThe bike's overall weight. Frame: FORM™ 7005 Series C

Submitted by howardmitch a Weekend Warrior from pittsburgh, pa, usa

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    seems like a good value. good climber. decent parts for entry level (good frame, good rear shock (fox float r)okay fork (marzocchi 33 r), good brakes (shimano 486 hydraulic)

Weaknesses:    I've only had the bike for one month. Time will tell whether this bike can hold up to the wear and tear of trail riding.

Bottom Line:
My Jamis XLT was beat and due to financial constants I could only afford a entry level full suspension bike. The Rocky Mountain Element Sport has performed well climbing, braking and steering. The Jamis XLT was a heavier bike and did not climb well at all. It was nice through the heavy rock gardens but I'm hoping the Rocky Mountain will be a better all around bike. For the price I'm happy with the performance of the Rocky Mountain bike. I hope it holds up well.

Favorite Trail:   roaring run, apollo

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   KHS full suspension, supergo full suspension, Jamis XLT full suspension

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element Sport, Marzocchi 33 R fork, Fox Float R read shock, Shimano 486 hydraulic disc brakes

Submitted by Rhode963 a Weekend Warrior from Canandaigua, NY

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, strong, good build quality

Weaknesses:    Avid Juicy Three brakes and that's about it.

Bottom Line:
This is a great XC and all around bike, the only problem i have found is that it can't handle the jumps and drops as well as a DH bike, but that is expected. But it is very rugged, and has taken everything I've thrown at it without a problem.

Favorite Trail:   Dryer Hill Park

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   No other XC bikes, but this keeps up with my Brothers Diamondback XTS Supermoto, just can't handle the jumps as well.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mark breker a Weekend Warrior from okotoks alberta

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    very well put together, rides nice and handles great on downhill runs.
for a rider who likes to get out and explore very nice bike for any level of rider.

Bottom Line:
For the price it is well worth the money. Best bang for your buck

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   A well put together stump jumper might fall into the same class. Any high to mid ranger xc bike the element would hold it's own against

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Bucks Country

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    Good bang for the Buck

Weaknesses:    Marzocchi MX LO Fork clunks @ the end of the stroke,all set-ups, after one week. Bottom Bracket Clicks right side. 1-3 0'clock position after 2 months. Ems is standing behind the bike going in to them 6/25/09

Bottom Line:
The 09 is like a Element 30 carbon upper stays & new frame like the 08 30, Same price as the 08 when it 1st came out.

It is a good bike for the money, After tuning the fork is still a low point but is low on maintenance needed.

In the end I would buy it again ia heart beat, It is a bast to ride. You are hard press to get more for you money.

Anyone rider starting or in need of a beater should be happy with this bike. Young or old, I am 48 & it has me feeling great.

Purchased At:   EMS

Bike Setup:   Stock Tuned & set-up well, up grades will come as needed (this winter)

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Strengths:    Quality construction, very good components. Suspension system works as advertised...climbs well..not an exceptionally light XC bike however it's just as comfortable as a trail bike and for that purpose it's very light. Bike has exceptional maneuverability and it's a friend in tight quarters. I think the most surprising thing about this bike how easily speed is attained, maintained and controlled. If you're an aggressive XC rider this is your bike, hands down.

Weaknesses:    Not many...Not crazy about the feel of the Juicy Avid 3 hydraulics brakes...but this may be something I need to acclimate to..kind of an all or nothing feel. I wish Rocky included the carbon seat stay on the element 10...especially at the retail price of $1900

Bottom Line:
I ride a lot and this bike is a great companion in every regard...the more I ride the more there is to like..especially on trips where I start in the city and end up on an top of a hill in the woods somewhere. I couldn't ask for more.

Purchased At:   EMS

Pedals Shimano: PDM505
Saddle: WTB Pro Gel

Submitted by Logan a Weekend Warrior from Corona, California, USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Price$$$. The overall feel of this bike is great. I don't feel a bob when climbing and the it shifts through the gears easily. The suspension is very good for a heavier rider like me. (225 lbs.)

Weaknesses:    The brakes will be the first thing I replace on this bike. They worked great at first then seemed to weaken. I don't know if it is my weight but they just don't feel as strong as I would like. I have taken them in for adjustments twice and they have not felt as strong as they first did.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and would recommend it to anyone who wants a great full suspension XC intro bike. I did a lot of research and testing before buying and found this bike felt most like a hardtail when on the trail. If you're a weekend warrior like me, you can't go wrong for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Chino Hills State Park

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   None similar. Prior hardtail rider.

Bike Setup:   2007 stock Rocky Mountain Element 10

Submitted by Nicole Delzer a Weekend Warrior from Sedona, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2008

Strengths:    Great all around bike for the intermediate rider. Smooth shifting, good suspension, nice climber.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavier side, but still not too bad.

Bottom Line:
To move into this bike was a dream for me. I love it! Perfect for those who want a great bike but don't want to spend a bundle.

Favorite Trail:   Courthouse Loop

Purchased At:   Rushmore Bikes in Spearfish, SD

Similar Products Used:   Used to ride a Specialized Rockhopper with front suspension when I first began riding.

Bike Setup:   Suspension - MARZOCCHI MX PRO Fork + FOX FLOAT R PP CUSTOM VALVED Rear Shock
Components - SHIMANO XT Rear Derailleur / SHIMANO DEORE Front Derailleur + SHIMANO DEORE RAPID FIRE Shifters + AVID JUICY 3 Disc Brakes

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is the ultimate XC trailbike for the dinero. it climbs like no tomarrow with very little pedal bob, and loves tight twisty singletrack. The frame welds on Rockies are top notch along with the paintjob.

Weaknesses:    it is a touch heavy for an xc race bike. 29ish pounds

Bottom Line:
If you are a beginner racer or xc trail rider this bike rides very nice and you will be happy, dont buy this if you are a weight weenie.

Similar Products Used:   GT IDXC, Research Dynamics Singlespeed, Specialized Hardtail, Cannondale HT

Bike Setup:   07 Element 10- stock except for a WTB saddle

Submitted by Fred a Cross Country Rider from Lille, France

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Strengths:    I think a great strength of this bike is the frame associated to the Fox RP3 custom shock. The suspension system is really good. The saddle is very good too.

Weaknesses:    All components are entry level components!

Bottom Line:
In fact, you pay the frame and the shock, that's all. But it is a really good suspension system and you can change the components after, when you have some money...
I had some components when I purchased the bike so it is a little better than the stock one but it can be improved yet.

When you go down hill, you have good sensations, the shock is smooth. When you climb, the bike is efficient.

I ride from 50 to 100km rides and this bike suits my use.

Purchased At:   FMF Sport Group, France