Rocky Mountain Altitude XC Full Suspension

4.37/5 (19 Reviews)

RMB FORM 7005 Alu, hydroFORMed seattube, aluminum seatstay, alu chainstay Frame, FOX 32 Float RL Fork, 140mm, Lockout / rebound 15mm axle Front Travel, FOX Float RP23 Custom Valved Rear Shock, and 140mm Rear Travel.

Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 XC Full Suspension Pro Review

Having spent some time with the MTBR.com, I was given the chance to test ride and review the Rocky Mountain 2009 Altitude 70 mountain bike. Billed on their website as a XC Marathon mountain bike. Rocky Mountain has ten different categories on their website under the mountain bike category. Talk about options! No matter, it is all about how the bike handles once it is one the trails. Continue reading →

Submitted by Maxlude

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2014

Strengths:    Superb standard component build, lightish, stiff, looks great

Weaknesses:    Cracked the frame on the seat tube near the chainstay pivot

Bottom Line:
Bought new in 2009 as needed a new bike and the spec on this looked amazing.
After 4years and around 2k + (estimated) miles of pretty easy XC riding I found a crack in the frame on the seatstay that seemed to originate from the chainstay pivot. I am 75kgs with kit.
I have been riding it harder and faster recently due to increased fitness and a nice summer, but not jumping or drop-offs.
Rocky Mountain (through the dealer that I bought it from) took the frame back and sent a brand new frame inc rear shock. All I had to do is take some pics and strip the frame and send back in a supplied box. I had the new frame back with me and rebuilt with all the original components within 4weeks of creating the warranty claim with the supplying dealer. Can't fault that service.
I must stress that this is the ONLY issue I've had in 4years with anything on the bike apart from standard maintenance.
I have really enjoyed riding this bike, especially with the high end components that work really nice.
I've now found that the Race Face Next SL carbon pedals have a problem where the alu pedal thread inserts are loose, making the pedals wobbly but that's not RMBs fault.
Maybe 2009 was still too early for best practice carbon manufacturing techniques for bicycles and components? I will be reverting to Alu for the replacement crankset.

Submitted by Jesse a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    light, climbs very very well, durable, and descends just as well as it climbs. Overall excellent Trail/All mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    Its a give and take weakness, but the bottom bracket sits fairly low, so pedal strikes are common as if you were riding a 29er, but by it being so low, it shines in the turns and going downhill. Also for a carbon frame it could be a tab bit lighter. But a 6lb frame is pretty damn light and im sure the extra weight is for durability, so again, not so much a weakness, but something worth mentioning.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the frame separately, and assembled my own components. I installed a Rockshox revelation dual air XX fork, Shimano XT brakes 180mm front 160mm rear, Easton EA70 wheels, Continental speed king 2.3 front tire, Maxxis Larsen TT 2.2 rear. Shimano XT crank and rear cassette, 2X9 system with a Ethirteen bash guard. Shimano XT front and rear derailleurs. Specialized Backlite dropper seat post (new 3 position), normal RP23 rear shock, Shimano LX shifters.

when said and done, this bike is really light for what it does. I hit all types of trails, and coupled with this fork, this bike is AWESOME! as what i mentioned in its strengths, it climbs very very well! lots of acceleration and stiff. Need to keep up on the maintenance, basically periodically lube the pivot points after long rides, and you will be rewarded in the end. when descending, this thing tracks well, does not wander or go off course, with a dropper seat post this thing is phenomenal.

i am basically using this bike as a trail/all mountain rig, so my normal outings consist of long climbs and downhills. i enjoy the fact that i can climb with others running 29ers no probs at all..the acceleration is its advantage, and no worries on losing traction while climbing, its stiff and sits you right in the saddle without hunching over all the time..and thats pretty damn impressive considering i tossed on a 150mm fork.

For somebody to give it 2 chilis cause it does not "shift well" makes no sense at all...i would have rated its components 2 chilis as that has nothing to do with the frame's performance! put something half way decent on this frame and you will be shocked.

i have done probably 100 miles easily on this frame so far, generated a ton of chips, which i suggest to grab some clear nail polish and cover after each ride to protect the carbon.

Overall, this is an outstanding frame, if you are looking for a nice trail/all mountain rig, this is a great buy..you wont regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Curt Gowdy, Horsetooth

Duration Product Used:   1 season

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coilair, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, Specialized Epic Comp.

Bike Setup:   Frame: Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL Carbon
Fork: RockShox Revelation Dual Air XX, 150mm travel
Handlebar: Easton monkey light carbon riser bar
Brakes: Shimano XT, 180mm/160mm
Shifters: Shimano LX 2X9
Crank: Shimano XT, with Ethirteen bashguard
pedals: welgo with TI spindles
Wheels: Easton EA70 XC
Tires: Front Continental Speed king supersonic 2.3 and Rear Maxxis Larsen TT 2.2
Front derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT
Chain: Sram HG 990 with power link
Cassette: Shimano XT
Rear shock: Fox RP23
Seatpost: Specialized Backlite command post

Submitted by Kevin Kunderman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    You'll never get a sore ass on it.

Weaknesses:    Frame and chain suck.

Bottom Line:
I'm pushing 60. I ride like the old fart that I am. Less then 30 rides on it and the frame is cracked in several places. I was hoping that it was paint like Rocky Mnt suggested. but the tecks at Bike Barn ( a very good store) said it is cracked. Until I go through warranty hoops the bike remains looking good in my basement, my ass loves the down time but is concerned over the up coming warranty road. If I can I think I'll leave the carbon and go back to aluminum.

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Last bike Brodie Spark.

Submitted by one_os_mtber

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Solid. RP23 w boost valve. Stiffness. Looks tough. Standover height.

Weaknesses:    Heavy? It is a slight overkill for the trails that i ride.

Bottom Line:
This bike gets 5 chili's for the value bc it is what Rocky warrantied my etsx with! you can't beat that upgrade. The ETSX had a super high bb and center of gravity and it is taking me some time to try to get used to this bike. my ETSX felt like i was sitting on the bike and the Altitude 70 feels like i am sitting in the bike. Part of the lower ceter of gravity has to do with the lower bb. i smack my pedals often but also flow like the waters of the New River (around which i ride.) This is a lot of bike for most of the trails that i ride, the trails are smooth and flowy but when i do get into the nasty stuff this bike just rocks it. The long wheel base lends itself to the downhill side of things while the steeper seat tube angle helps get you up the hills. the less conventional geometry definitly takes some getting used to. -Luke

Submitted by epiclimber a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2012

Strengths:    The "strait-up" geometry woks well- ridding up is easier with lesss effort. you don't feel your back like on ther rigs- sit back' enjoy the ride and go faster than most of your mates. This bike will soak up the rockiest trail fast and comfortably/

Weaknesses:    The "strait-up" geometry works too well. The seat post angle is too slack- 76 degrees! It's not comfortable ridding outside the saddle. Due to that it's difficult ridding faster or harder and it;s more difficult to take on technical climbs.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for an easy less effort ride- look no further/ Great all around all day bike. Sit back and ride on the saddle. If you're looking for a fast manuverable, work hard-fly fast kind of bike- this is not for you.

Favorite Trail:   Ben shemen

Purchased At:   Rosen & Mints

Similar Products Used:   Merida TFS900, RM element 50, Yeti ASR 5

Submitted by dirk.r a All Mountain Rider from townsville qld

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    its suspension is awesome, great breaks awesome ride, gears shift fast.

Weaknesses:    none at all

Bottom Line:
if you see it buy it awesome bike goes anywear

Favorite Trail:   rock and roll

Purchased At:   crank'D cycles

Submitted by RideHard a Weekend Warrior from Bloomington IN

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2011

Strengths:    components, weight, ride

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Smokin' deal on a close-out, with carbon frame, XT/XTR. About 28 pounds for a 19" bike, 140mm front/rear; upright seat tube and relaxed head tube angles give me the climb I like with the descending I crave. I will try to write a long term review, but would recommend it to someone looking for a great bike in the $2-3K range.

Favorite Trail:   ones that go back down

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock, including the spd pedals (Eggbeaters broke)

Submitted by emiliobuckmaster a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2011

Strengths:    Great climber! Suspension action is good

Weaknesses:    I experienced the worst chain suck with the Raceface Crank! Stock tires sucked too

Bottom Line:
I’ve had many bikes and am just coming off a Rocky Mountain Slayer. I liked the Slayer but I need more help going up the hill than going down so I needed a new machine. This bike climbs better than my old Epic! Switched to a 2X10 drive train and life is good. If you get this bike I would immediately pull off the crank and sell it. It takes a bit to get used to the steeper angles but I do like the platform. The carbon frame is super stiff and glides over the rocks around here. I am really happy with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   SW Pkwy

Similar Products Used:   May hardtails, Epic, Superlight, 6.6, Slayer and many others

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of crank, tires and a few other bits

Submitted by bennamer a Cross Country Rider from Kfar Sava, Israel

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing, its WOW,,, great in technical climbing, stable in close turns while climbing, great for descending.

Weaknesses:    The down tube that comes from the bottom brackets is parallel to the ground and goes up, TOO LOW, it faces the rock before the big crank wheel protect it.

Bottom Line:
This bike replaces the ETSX I had, its Much, Much better in climbing. In my team we are 3 with Altitude among many bikes, we are always the first or the only guys that climb the very steep hills.
I don't understand this geometry but going down hill is very stable and again, much better then the ETSX.
Taking sharp angles in climbing the front wheel doesn't float, it stays stick to the ground.
I suffer of the down tube because it can get hit from any rock because its parallel to the ground about 10" from the bottom bracket, longer then the big crank whell.

Great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Negev, Yehuda desert

Purchased At:   Rosen Meents

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Endoro, Rocky MTN ETSX70

Bike Setup:   Breaks- Formula Oro,XTR grear parts, Talas RLC 140, DT Swiss Hub.

Submitted by tomyax a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    Very robust frame and componants, light(ish), good standover, very high quality suspension.

Weaknesses:    tires loose grip (slightly) when on smooth rocks
otherwise none to report yet

Bottom Line:
My first full suspension bike. I wouldn't trade it for any bike of the same value.
Very smooth ride downhill and a good climber.
Over all a great bike (in my opinion).

The people at Evans Cycles were very helpful and even set up the suspension sag etc for me in the shop.
I would recommend it to anyone

Favorite Trail:   Gisburn Forest

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale RZ one20

Bike Setup:   still the same as above^

Submitted by Croaker a Weekend Warrior from Folsom

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2011

Strengths:    Suspension and Brakes

Weaknesses:    Feels like I'm sitting on a 6' ladder, seat has a lot of tail flip-up so it's a little hard to slid off the back for downhills.

Bottom Line:
I'm an old 57 year, 30 lb overweight Roadie that's back on the dirt to help with the local High School Mountain Bike Race Team. We ride 3 days/nights per week rain/shine single track, dirt roads & bike trail. I decided I was tired of my "superman" night falls and needed to get a bike or expect an expensive hospital visit. The 'Chance Rigid just didn't help me enough in the dark. The Altitude's steep seat tube feels strange but in my "sheer-desperation" night single-track climbs I'm able to stay with the slower kids - thanks also to the suspension. Superman falls have been cut dramatically (I still have operator-error on steep downhills in the dark). Brakes are amazing (with cantis you don't have brakes - you have slowers). The other boys are envious of the better Rocky Mountain components used verses Fishers, Treks and Stumpjumpers. I fully expect the boy to be "borrowing" the Altitude this summer for his x-mountain riding and downhills. (He got an Element 70)

Favorite Trail:   the one I just did

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   River Rat - highly r

Similar Products Used:   Nothing in this century. '84 Fisher HKEK I bought new(yes I'm that old), '92 Fat Chance Wicked Lite Rigid.

Bike Setup:   Stock with upgraded Easton EC90 flatbar, flipped the stem to the down position - with the fork headtube spacers on top of the stem (I'm a roadie), Eargon Biokork grips (strange but nice), Niterider 700 pro & Niterider headlamp (absolutely essential for night singletrack.

Submitted by alext2280 a Weekend Warrior from Manchester NJ USA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2010

Strengths:    cockpit feels great

Weaknesses:    none found yet

Bottom Line:
Fast on the flats and down hills, climbs like goat

Favorite Trail:   Allaire,Clayton

Purchased At:   Huck and roll

Similar Products Used:   treck 6700 hard tails

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by rklimber a Weekend Warrior from erie , usa

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2010

Strengths:    Handling, suspension, brakes, lightweight, good components (except for chainrings)

Weaknesses:    Chainsuck ,raceface chainrings are poor quality.

Bottom Line:
I'm happy with this bike except for the shifting. Race face chainrings are very low quality on this bike. Rocky Mountain dropped the ball on that one.
Having said that, It climbs and handles tight twisty single track very well. Suspension works well and was easy to adjust. Brakes are much smoother than the avid's on my cannondale.
Bottom line: if you don't mind paying that kind of money and having to upgrade right out of the box than this might be a good choice. 5 chile's with decent chainrings, 2 chile's with the raceface chainrings.

Purchased At:   jenson

Bike Setup:   Rocky mountain altitude RSL 70 (stock)

Submitted by AK47 a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2010

Strengths:    Climbing, climbing and more climbing; stability in technical sections; comfy geo; confidence inspiring design; acceleration for a 5.5" bike; great in the gnar gnar; just a really fun, ride all day bike

Weaknesses:    Out of the box it's very good

Bottom Line:
I never knew a 5.5" full sus bike could be so fast. I think it's because of the stability of this bike coupled with 5.5" of travel, I am just plowing into rougher sections I had to slow up more for on other bikes. For 5.5", it's light at 28lbs. The XT shifters and brakes work flawlessly, along with the XTR rear derailleur. The RaceFace Atlas/Deus cockpit is awesome. The wheelset works fine, I just had a wild hair to add some "bling". If your rides are everything except freeride/downhill terrain, this is your bike (it blows away the ETSX).

Favorite Trail:   Middle Fork Williamette River