Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 XC Full Suspension

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

RMB FORM 7005 Alu, hydroFORMed seattube, aluminum seatstay, alu chainstay Frame, FOX 32 Float RL Fork, 140mm, Lockout / rebound 15mm axle Front Travel, FOX Float RP23 Custom Valved Rear Shock, and 140mm Rear Travel.

Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 XC Full Suspension Pro Review

Having spent some time with the MTBR.com, I was given the chance to test ride and review the Rocky Mountain 2009 Altitude 70 mountain bike. Billed on their website as a XC Marathon mountain bike. Rocky Mountain has ten different categories on their website under the mountain bike category. Talk about options! No matter, it is all about how the bike handles once it is one the trails. Continue reading →

Submitted by Kevin Kunderman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    You'll never get a sore ass on it.

Weaknesses:    Frame and chain suck.

Bottom Line:
I'm pushing 60. I ride like the old fart that I am. Less then 30 rides on it and the frame is cracked in several places. I was hoping that it was paint like Rocky Mnt suggested. but the tecks at Bike Barn ( a very good store) said it is cracked. Until I go through warranty hoops the bike remains looking good in my basement, my ass loves the down time but is concerned over the up coming warranty road. If I can I think I'll leave the carbon and go back to aluminum.

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Last bike Brodie Spark.

Submitted by one_os_mtber

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Solid. RP23 w boost valve. Stiffness. Looks tough. Standover height.

Weaknesses:    Heavy? It is a slight overkill for the trails that i ride.

Bottom Line:
This bike gets 5 chili's for the value bc it is what Rocky warrantied my etsx with! you can't beat that upgrade. The ETSX had a super high bb and center of gravity and it is taking me some time to try to get used to this bike. my ETSX felt like i was sitting on the bike and the Altitude 70 feels like i am sitting in the bike. Part of the lower ceter of gravity has to do with the lower bb. i smack my pedals often but also flow like the waters of the New River (around which i ride.) This is a lot of bike for most of the trails that i ride, the trails are smooth and flowy but when i do get into the nasty stuff this bike just rocks it. The long wheel base lends itself to the downhill side of things while the steeper seat tube angle helps get you up the hills. the less conventional geometry definitly takes some getting used to. -Luke

Submitted by bennamer a Cross Country Rider from Kfar Sava, Israel

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing, its WOW,,, great in technical climbing, stable in close turns while climbing, great for descending.

Weaknesses:    The down tube that comes from the bottom brackets is parallel to the ground and goes up, TOO LOW, it faces the rock before the big crank wheel protect it.

Bottom Line:
This bike replaces the ETSX I had, its Much, Much better in climbing. In my team we are 3 with Altitude among many bikes, we are always the first or the only guys that climb the very steep hills.
I don't understand this geometry but going down hill is very stable and again, much better then the ETSX.
Taking sharp angles in climbing the front wheel doesn't float, it stays stick to the ground.
I suffer of the down tube because it can get hit from any rock because its parallel to the ground about 10" from the bottom bracket, longer then the big crank whell.

Great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Negev, Yehuda desert

Purchased At:   Rosen Meents

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Endoro, Rocky MTN ETSX70

Bike Setup:   Breaks- Formula Oro,XTR grear parts, Talas RLC 140, DT Swiss Hub.

Submitted by AK47 a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2010

Strengths:    Climbing, climbing and more climbing; stability in technical sections; comfy geo; confidence inspiring design; acceleration for a 5.5" bike; great in the gnar gnar; just a really fun, ride all day bike

Weaknesses:    Out of the box it's very good

Bottom Line:
I never knew a 5.5" full sus bike could be so fast. I think it's because of the stability of this bike coupled with 5.5" of travel, I am just plowing into rougher sections I had to slow up more for on other bikes. For 5.5", it's light at 28lbs. The XT shifters and brakes work flawlessly, along with the XTR rear derailleur. The RaceFace Atlas/Deus cockpit is awesome. The wheelset works fine, I just had a wild hair to add some "bling". If your rides are everything except freeride/downhill terrain, this is your bike (it blows away the ETSX).

Favorite Trail:   Middle Fork Williamette River

Purchased At:   River Rat

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain ETSX

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton Haven wheelset

Submitted by Ymiller a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, Co USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2009

Strengths:    Climbs great, easy to manuever around, over and thru obsticles while climbing. Pedal bob is almost non-existent, in many cases I leave the pro-pedal off so I don't have to remember to turn it off on the descent. Very smooth and fast downhill. Suspension does its job extremely well. Handling is predictable and stable

Weaknesses:    occasional chain suck. Cables rub paint off head tube immediately...I know its a mtn bike and it will get scratched and beat up, but I prefer its from hard riding.

Bottom Line:
Very capable bike for all day riding with enough travel to enjoy and not worry about things if they get a litte nasty/hairy. Compared to the other bikes I tested, I felt this one climbed the best. With the slacker seat angles on the other bikes I found it tough to keep the front wheel on the ground on steep sections. The Rocky allowed me to keep enough weight forward without giveing up to much traction in the rear. So if your looking to keep the climbing ability of a true xc bike, but want 140mm of travel for more aggresive descents this bike is hard to beat.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim moab

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpjumper FSR (prior bike), before purchase test rode a Santa Cruz Blur LT, Yete 575, Canondale RZ 140

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by saddlesore a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    pedals really really well. Great climber. Solid component specs. Pretty much Full XT with Raceface.

Weaknesses:    Some people are not fans of Raceface cranks or twitchy downhill handling. Everyone knows that Crankbrothers pedals are junk!

Bottom Line:
This bike is taller than expected, but stable with good traction. Suspension setup is your weight in pounds -10%, that lets the back end hold the ground better and lowers your centre of gravity. Once set up like that it pedals better than either of my Blurs did and is downright sweet on rough terrain with very plush suspension. Handleing is like my blur XC, a bit twitchy, and I love it that way There is very little bob even with the propedal off. Some don't like raceface, but they stand behind what they make and it performs like Sram and shimano. The XT brakes are certainly the new standard for XC brakes, I am a big fan of the modulation. The entire original drivetrain/brake spec was almost full XT which is remarkable these days. I hope to see more of it in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Prairie View

Purchased At:   Private seller

Similar Products Used:   2004 SantaCruz Blur, 2008 SantaCruz Blur XC spx.

Bike Setup:   Flat bars with barends, 8speed XTR shifters/rear cassette, better pedals. Mavic SLR Wheels and Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires

Short vid of lifeproof on my RM Altitude 70

decided to test out a few things in this vid..one of them was my new lifeproof Iphone bike mount and case for my Iphone 4S..thing worked great, went through some rough sections to where it didnt even budge. I also tested out my Kodak playsport mounted on my gopro chest mount..i could have angled it ... Read More »

650b on Altitude 70 RSL?

Wondering if this is possible, saw a few people try this on the element with no luck, was wondering has anybody tried this on the trail Models? Such as the altitude, or maybe the AM rides like the slayer? seems like there is enough room? I installed a 2.4 in the rear, no rubbage...but that's prolly ... Read More »

Dropper seatpost opinions on Altitude 70 RSL

Seriously awesome experience. But here's the catch : I'm actually worried about the bike as it makes you terribly and insanely better at descents. It's just a new riding experience. I gained much more speed in decents and now I'm worried to damage bearings all over the place as our trails are pretty ... Read More »

Missing Bushings in Rear Swingarm of Altitude 70 RSL?

Somehow the bolt (two pieces) that hold the rear swingarm together came out completely and was temporarily lost. This is the bolt set that is right above the rear derailleur. So I called Rocky and they sent a new bolt set. However, what they sent not only has the two bolts, but two plastic busin ... Read More »

Altitude 70 '11 vs Slayer 50 '11

Oh my not an easy one guys... I went to the LBS and so far he could get me an Altitude 70 or Slayer 50... He still need to make phone calls for Slayer 70. Here's the thing : I don't know what to choose at all ! Our local center consist of rooty, rocky, muddy trails. Lots of technical steep climbs ... Read More »