Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL XC Full Suspension

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Rocky Mountain's experience developing custom alloyTubesets overThe last decade has been invaluable in perfectingTheir FORM™ carbon frames.Using onlyTop quality carbon fiber and partnering withThe best carbon specialists inThe world, Rocky Mountain engineers, designs, andTests all ofTheir carbon frames in house.The carbon frames feature monocoque construction which is strongerThan aTube-to-tube or lugged design and which also keepsThe weight extremely low.Different carbon layups and weaves

Submitted by Jesse a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    light, climbs very very well, durable, and descends just as well as it climbs. Overall excellent Trail/All mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    Its a give and take weakness, but the bottom bracket sits fairly low, so pedal strikes are common as if you were riding a 29er, but by it being so low, it shines in the turns and going downhill. Also for a carbon frame it could be a tab bit lighter. But a 6lb frame is pretty damn light and im sure the extra weight is for durability, so again, not so much a weakness, but something worth mentioning.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the frame separately, and assembled my own components. I installed a Rockshox revelation dual air XX fork, Shimano XT brakes 180mm front 160mm rear, Easton EA70 wheels, Continental speed king 2.3 front tire, Maxxis Larsen TT 2.2 rear. Shimano XT crank and rear cassette, 2X9 system with a Ethirteen bash guard. Shimano XT front and rear derailleurs. Specialized Backlite dropper seat post (new 3 position), normal RP23 rear shock, Shimano LX shifters.

when said and done, this bike is really light for what it does. I hit all types of trails, and coupled with this fork, this bike is AWESOME! as what i mentioned in its strengths, it climbs very very well! lots of acceleration and stiff. Need to keep up on the maintenance, basically periodically lube the pivot points after long rides, and you will be rewarded in the end. when descending, this thing tracks well, does not wander or go off course, with a dropper seat post this thing is phenomenal.

i am basically using this bike as a trail/all mountain rig, so my normal outings consist of long climbs and downhills. i enjoy the fact that i can climb with others running 29ers no probs at all..the acceleration is its advantage, and no worries on losing traction while climbing, its stiff and sits you right in the saddle without hunching over all the time..and thats pretty damn impressive considering i tossed on a 150mm fork.

For somebody to give it 2 chilis cause it does not "shift well" makes no sense at all...i would have rated its components 2 chilis as that has nothing to do with the frame's performance! put something half way decent on this frame and you will be shocked.

i have done probably 100 miles easily on this frame so far, generated a ton of chips, which i suggest to grab some clear nail polish and cover after each ride to protect the carbon.

Overall, this is an outstanding frame, if you are looking for a nice trail/all mountain rig, this is a great buy..you wont regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Curt Gowdy, Horsetooth

Duration Product Used:   1 season

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coilair, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, Specialized Epic Comp.

Bike Setup:   Frame: Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL Carbon
Fork: RockShox Revelation Dual Air XX, 150mm travel
Handlebar: Easton monkey light carbon riser bar
Brakes: Shimano XT, 180mm/160mm
Shifters: Shimano LX 2X9
Crank: Shimano XT, with Ethirteen bashguard
pedals: welgo with TI spindles
Wheels: Easton EA70 XC
Tires: Front Continental Speed king supersonic 2.3 and Rear Maxxis Larsen TT 2.2
Front derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT
Chain: Sram HG 990 with power link
Cassette: Shimano XT
Rear shock: Fox RP23
Seatpost: Specialized Backlite command post

Submitted by RideHard a Weekend Warrior from Bloomington IN

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2011

Strengths:    components, weight, ride

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Smokin' deal on a close-out, with carbon frame, XT/XTR. About 28 pounds for a 19" bike, 140mm front/rear; upright seat tube and relaxed head tube angles give me the climb I like with the descending I crave. I will try to write a long term review, but would recommend it to someone looking for a great bike in the $2-3K range.

Favorite Trail:   ones that go back down

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock, including the spd pedals (Eggbeaters broke)

Submitted by emiliobuckmaster a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2011

Strengths:    Great climber! Suspension action is good

Weaknesses:    I experienced the worst chain suck with the Raceface Crank! Stock tires sucked too

Bottom Line:
I’ve had many bikes and am just coming off a Rocky Mountain Slayer. I liked the Slayer but I need more help going up the hill than going down so I needed a new machine. This bike climbs better than my old Epic! Switched to a 2X10 drive train and life is good. If you get this bike I would immediately pull off the crank and sell it. It takes a bit to get used to the steeper angles but I do like the platform. The carbon frame is super stiff and glides over the rocks around here. I am really happy with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   SW Pkwy

Similar Products Used:   May hardtails, Epic, Superlight, 6.6, Slayer and many others

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of crank, tires and a few other bits

Submitted by rklimber a Weekend Warrior from erie , usa

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2010

Strengths:    Handling, suspension, brakes, lightweight, good components (except for chainrings)

Weaknesses:    Chainsuck ,raceface chainrings are poor quality.

Bottom Line:
I'm happy with this bike except for the shifting. Race face chainrings are very low quality on this bike. Rocky Mountain dropped the ball on that one.
Having said that, It climbs and handles tight twisty single track very well. Suspension works well and was easy to adjust. Brakes are much smoother than the avid's on my cannondale.
Bottom line: if you don't mind paying that kind of money and having to upgrade right out of the box than this might be a good choice. 5 chile's with decent chainrings, 2 chile's with the raceface chainrings.

Purchased At:   jenson

Bike Setup:   Rocky mountain altitude RSL 70 (stock)

Submitted by Julien a Weekend Warrior from France

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Strengths:    Geometry, suspension, equipment

Weaknesses:    no protection : no chain pad, no protection on the frame, ...
The grips are awful

Bottom Line:
I am a french customer (so excuse my english), I am very happy to have this bike : it clims very well and downhill better than ETSX (my previous bike) - suspension does work great. Light bike, amazing frame. The bike is always asking for more speed, it is very nervous.
The equipment is tremendous, I love the modulation of the XT brakes. The transmission works well, careful of chain-shuks.

I am a fan of this bike