Rocky Mountain Altitude 30 XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Altitude 30 is designed around Rocky Mountain's StraightUp™ geometry in orderTo create a bikeThat is an effortless climber while still holdingTrueTo Rocky Mountain's downhill heritage. In orderTo putThe rider in a powerful climbing position onThe bike,The Altitude 30 features a seatTube angle of 76 degrees soThat whenThe suspension is engaged,The rider ends up in a centered positionThat is efficient for climbing. In orderTo keepThe bike performing onThe descent, Rocky Mountain SlackenedThe

Submitted by Croaker a Weekend Warrior from Folsom

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2011

Strengths:    Suspension and Brakes

Weaknesses:    Feels like I'm sitting on a 6' ladder, seat has a lot of tail flip-up so it's a little hard to slid off the back for downhills.

Bottom Line:
I'm an old 57 year, 30 lb overweight Roadie that's back on the dirt to help with the local High School Mountain Bike Race Team. We ride 3 days/nights per week rain/shine single track, dirt roads & bike trail. I decided I was tired of my "superman" night falls and needed to get a bike or expect an expensive hospital visit. The 'Chance Rigid just didn't help me enough in the dark. The Altitude's steep seat tube feels strange but in my "sheer-desperation" night single-track climbs I'm able to stay with the slower kids - thanks also to the suspension. Superman falls have been cut dramatically (I still have operator-error on steep downhills in the dark). Brakes are amazing (with cantis you don't have brakes - you have slowers). The other boys are envious of the better Rocky Mountain components used verses Fishers, Treks and Stumpjumpers. I fully expect the boy to be "borrowing" the Altitude this summer for his x-mountain riding and downhills. (He got an Element 70)

Favorite Trail:   the one I just did

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   River Rat - highly r

Similar Products Used:   Nothing in this century. '84 Fisher HKEK I bought new(yes I'm that old), '92 Fat Chance Wicked Lite Rigid.

Bike Setup:   Stock with upgraded Easton EC90 flatbar, flipped the stem to the down position - with the fork headtube spacers on top of the stem (I'm a roadie), Eargon Biokork grips (strange but nice), Niterider 700 pro & Niterider headlamp (absolutely essential for night singletrack.

Submitted by Gofaster10 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    This bike climbs so well, you'd think you were on a 25 lb. carbon race rig. I never would've thought a 140mm travel bike would go uphill like this, but whatever Rocky Mountain did, it's a notch above. Descending is a pleasure. This bike handles on steep descents a lot like the Slayer. It wants to stick to the ground and traction is never an issue. Riding position is more comfortable than other similar bikes, too.

Weaknesses:    It costs a bit, but it was still cheaper than my Blur LT. The bars were too damn wide, so I cut over an inch off of each end. And the grips are complete crap, but those were easy enough to change.

Bottom Line:
It's not cheap (Duh). If you're looking for the XC bike that does it all for less than $3,000.00, this is it. Plenty light, Squishy where you want it, great climber. This bike does everything that my Blur LT was supposed to do.

I demo'd this bike against an Ibis, A trek fuel ex, a Yeti, and even Giant's latest doodads, and I'm pretty damn thrilled with my choice after 3 months of hard riding in the Southwest's sand, rocks, steep little climbs and such.

Favorite Trail:   50-Year trail

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur LT, Fuel EX, Gary Fisher HiFi, Giant Anthem, Ibis Mojo.

Bike Setup:   Stock with bars cut, longer stem, Ritchey TrueGrips

Help Me Decide: Altitude 29 vs. Altitude 30

Hello all I've been shopping full suspension bicycles for a while and recently narrowed my selection to the Altitude 29. After reading a lot of reviews, it doesn't get praise for being a nimble accelerator. I don't know if this is the nature of a 29er or this particular bike (I currently ride a 2 ... Read More »

2010 Altitude 30 weight?

Im interested in buying a 2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 30 can you please tell me the weight of the bike, thanks in advance.Read More »

Asking Price for Altitude 30?

Hello all- I recently had my 2007 RM ETSX 30 stolen and my home owner's ins covers it. But they won't give me the cash, they want me to "replace the item new" and they will reimburse me. Now, I was trying to sell the ETSX. I have 2009 Blur that I'm happy with and don't really need a new bike. So, ... Read More »

2009 Altitude Rocky 30

Is this a good bike? I have ridden one mountain bike, a specialized FSR XC for the last 10 years. Want something new. I was thinking of sticking with specialized, because that's all I know. Expected to pay about $1500. However, I rented an Altitude Rocky 30 for this weekend. The bike retails ... Read More »