Pace RC405 XC Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by JoeyG a Cross Country Rider from Canberra

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent acceleration and efficiency on cross country trails and up hill sections. The aggressive seating position and small cockpit makes the bike very fast through single track, able to handle the majority of situations thrown at it and it descends as well also. There is no bob from rear suspension under acceleration, even when standing. Cheap frame price provides flexibility to build the bike as an all mountain champion or cross country flyer.

Weaknesses:    bike angles result in seating position not suited to downhill as much as all mountian specific bikes. Frame weight a little heavy for cross country racer.

Bottom Line:
If you are like me and can afford to run only one bike and want performance, verstility and comfort all over the mountian then the PACE 405 could be a good choice as long as you can get past the aggressive seating poisiton for all mountain riding.

I compete in quite a few MTB events and find the PACE a suitable companion in 24 hour and 100km enduros. Add to that the ability to throw the bike around on local tracks on the weekend for a bit of fun and the bike meets all my needs.

However, the frame has developed a minor crack from a weld point in the rear suspension linkage. Thankfully PACE have just agreed to replace the bike under warranty.

Favorite Trail:   Majura

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   K2 Comp 99, Giant Trance X1

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla RLC 125 fork, Shimano XT crank, cassette, derailuers and shifters, Avid Elixir CR Mag 185mm F+R, Mivac Cross Max wheels, Kenda Nevagal and Maxxis Crossmark tyres.

Submitted by Ripley_405 a Weekend Warrior from Leeds, England

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2010

Strengths:    Descends really well, and climbs better than you think but I am finding its real strength is on tight and twisty singletrack. Once you have dialled in your suspension, and set everything up to your liking it is such a nice bike to ride.

Of course, it all depends on how you spec it up, but it is such a responsive bike, no pedal bob and it just makes you want to push it to its limits.

Weaknesses:    Not really a weakness, as it can be combatted by using other components to get the set up right, but the cockpit is quite compact. I find this a great thing as it makes the bike easy to throw around, but my advice would be to test ride before you buy and have a proper think about stem length etc...

Bottom Line:
An awe inspiring bike that eats up anything you throw at it. Getting to the top is as much fun as going down the other side...

And the best thing? I know I've only got out about 50% of it's potential. As time goes on, as I improve my technique and fitness I know that this bike has so much more to give, I know it'll be able to cope with whatever my ability can throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   (Currently) Dalby

Purchased At:   Crosstrax, Leeds

Similar Products Used:   Tested - Lapierre Zesty 514, Trek Fuel EX 8, Orange 5 S

Bike Setup:   2010 RS Revelation Team Dual Air, DT Swiss M210, Mavic 719's with Hope Hubs (II), Avid Elixir R (185;160), SLX double and bash, SLX front mech and shifters, XT rear mech, Thomson layback seatpost, SDG Bel Air, Sunline 711's and Sunline XC stem (80mm), Bontrager XR4 Team Issue tires (2.2)

Submitted by Chiltern Flyer a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2009

Strengths:    This is a 5 in travel MTB so it can handle all the major drops I dare do (and probably 95% of you too) - no problem. But that is not where it ends but where it starts. I built this bike to go anywhere, Dale, Fell and Moor. Using ‘fairly’ sensible components with Pace XCAM 41 forks my medium weights in at sub 25Ibs. I am just under 6ft and I feel the ‘cockpit’ of the medium is just perfect for me with an 80mm stem. I can do long rides on it with no back pain, hammer it downhills and not lose control and nail single track.

Weaknesses:    Basically nothing. Accurately following the suspension set-up instructions the front end did dive a bit and the rear did bottom out but adding 10 – 15psi more sorted this out. One thing is that the rear shock does regularly need topping up with air – I may check this out with Pace.

Bottom Line:
I have been mtbing since the early 90’s. I am amazed at the times I am posting on my usual rides on the Pace 405 – especially uphill. It has no obvious bob when pedalling and when I look at my times (incl road hills) they are better than my steel hard tail! Then once you get onto single track it flies, the front and rear suspension work in unison balancing feel and speed – it’s great. This is what MTB’s are meant to be like!

There is an expression that the number of bikes you need is N+1 – where N is the number you have today. If you have a Pace 405 I think that number is now N.

Get a demo on one and see what you are missing.

Favorite Trail:   Hamsterly Forest

Purchased At:   Pace Direct – Slight

Similar Products Used:   Many – everyone has a personal preference so use this review for the Pace 405.

Bike Setup:   Stock Frame and shock, Pace RC41’s XCAM-130, Roval Traversee, Full X.O with XTR cranks and front mech, Hope Mono Mini 183/160 brakes, Tyres: alternate between F/R Continental Speed King 2.3’s or Nobby Nic (F)/Racing Ralph (R) 2.25’s.

Submitted by rideguide a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2008

Strengths:    Nails single track like you wouldn't believe and takes the hits too.
Heavy duty build at less than 27lbs (would be easy to build as a 25lb 5" XC flyer)
The integrated headset keeps the front end low with a longer travel fork which means you can keep the weight and traction on the front. This makes for amazing tracking on twisty single track, berms and steep climbs.
The full floater suspension has virtually no bob - just a surge of acceleration - even out of the saddle.

Weaknesses:    Weight over the front took a bit of getting used to compared with the Stumpy - especially in the air - but once you do - WOW!

Bottom Line:
This a seriously fast 5" travel bike perfect for blistering singletrack pace (no pun). It climbs better than ANY full sus bike I've ever ridden (period) and as an MTB guide I've slung my leg over tooo many steeds to mention. It will also handle way more extreme terrain than I'm currently riding on.
I took 6 minutes off my best time round the 25 mile red loop at Dalby on its first outing. This was compared to my beloved (and now sold!) Stumpy FSR Pro which I had been riding for almost 2 years.

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest

Purchased At:   Trade deal - Direct

Similar Products Used:   Stumpy FSR Pro, Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Ibis Mojo, Santa Cruz Superlight, Santa Cruz Heckler, Orange Five, Rocky Mountain ETSX-50 the list goes on ....

Bike Setup:   Stock frame and shock, DT Swiss XMC-130 forks, DT 1750 Enduro wheelset, Full SRAM X-0, XT chainset, Continental Mountain King 2.4 supersonics.

Submitted by howebizarre a Cross Country Rider from North Wales

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2008

Strengths:    Even since first ride this frame & setup has inspired confidence, taken 10 minutes of my best time round the Black route at Llandegla. Ridden stuff on 7 Stanes routes i'd never have ridden before.

I'm not the best hill climber but this frame seems to climb better than my hardtail. feels very solid under foot.

Weaknesses:    I've not found any real weaknesses yet, although some of the cable routing does rub a little below bottom bracket but some carbon patches haves sorted that.

Bottom Line:
Although the frame is a little on the expensive side, if your in the market for a cracking full suspension frame. I would definately recommend you get a demo ride, i benchmarked it against a Turner 5 Spot which i've ridden a lot and i prefer the Pace.

Purchased At:   Bike Scene

Similar Products Used:   Recently Owned- Marin Mount Vision, Orange Patriot, Specialized Big Hit
Tested Prior to Buying: Turner 5 Spot, Santa Cruz Heckler / Blur , Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Pike 454 dual Air, Avid Juicy Carbon Brakes, Thompson SeatPost/ Stem, XTR drive chain, DT Swiss EX1750 Wheel, DT Swiss Rear Thru Axle

bad bottom out problems - Pace RC405

Noticed a lot of bottom outs on my RC 405. Always put this down to my RP23 having a high-volume air can. So I tried DGCs excellent shim mod, which improved things, but still even a tiny jump results in a hard bottom out. Even moving to 15% sag (from ~25%) doesn't prevent it. Anyhow, I download ... Read More »

Fork for Pace RC405

fork for Pace RC405? minor jumps, tough terrain though. love riding uphill as well,even more sometimes. go for qr and put my old wheelset and ride? or get axle fork, and wait few months(that's the bad part) to get wheels as well? Rockshox Revelation 08 seems cheap and good (esp now with season clo ... Read More »

How many of you guys have a Pace RC405 frame?

I'm surprised that I don't see many posts about them, considering how good those frames look. Any of you my friends own one of those babies? Give me your comments about them, as I'm thinking to get a rolling chassis. Gracias! seis66Read More »