Orange ST4 S XC Full Suspension

• Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 160/160
  • Hubs: Shimano Deore 475 Disc

Submitted by The Goat a Weekend Warrior from Leeds

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast, smooth ride and fine handling. Seems excellently poised out on the trails, and can handle steep bumpy downhills with no problems so far. Very good climber too - I can get up things on this that I couldn't tackle on my Trek hardtail. I went for the SE model, and it oozes class with quality components.

Weaknesses:    Tyres that came with it weren't up to much though - I replaced them with Panaracer Fire XC Pro's and it's spot on. The 90mm stem could be bit shorter... I'm thinking of changing that to 70mm, or maybe even 50mm as I tend to understeer slightly with 90mm (probably becuase pervious bike has 70mm stem). Race Face BB has worn out after 6 months riding - through winter and some real dirty stuff! Cost was covered under warranty and I replaced with a Hope BB which should last longer.

Bottom Line:
There is a distinct lack of reviews out there for this bike, which is why I decided to write this. I think the ST-4 is a superb machine. I love riding up the hills for fitness, and down again for the sheer thrill, and wanted something that wasn't one of the chunky trail bikes that I see more and more out there with riders pushing up the slopes... My ST-4 suits me perfectly out on the bridleways in Yorkshire and Derbyshire. The frame feels solid and capable of soaking up the bumps, but also light and very manoeuvrable when it matters. I like the geometry too - it looks simple and effective. It's like my brother said when I was trying to make a decision without any expert reviews out there - Orange don't make bad bikes. Riding it for just over 6 months has proved that to me. The ST-4 is another great bike from a great British bike maker.

Favorite Trail:   N Yorkshire

Purchased At:   All Terrain Bikes, S

Similar Products Used:   First FS bike for me, so can't really compare to anything else.

Bike Setup:   I have the suspension settings dialled in to the middle for both front and rear, and it's been fine. It's fairly easy to switch to the pro-pedal on the rear when required, although often don't bother.