Norco Faze XC Full Suspension

4.43/5 (14 Reviews)

• Refined Trail geometry with slacker 69 degree headtube angle for 2011
  • Super light weight triple butted M6 aluminum frame with 120 mm travel
  • Fox Float RL 120 mm travel with 15 mm through hole dropout and Fox Float R rear shock
  • Shimano SLX 10 speed gearing

Submitted by Jay

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    The MTB is really light and has the agility to make sharp turns from left to right. The suspension system performs well and up hill climbs pretty easy without a sweat.

Weaknesses:    Front Shocks are not that stiff.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for all terrain mountain Biking to achieve the ultimate outback adventure. This bike will never fail you!

Submitted by Cameron a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, Triple Butted M6 Aluminum, Razor sharp feedback, Weight, Brakes, Climbs & Descents. Components (MY08) Shimano XT,Ritchey,WTB,Mavic, Fox RP23 and RS REBA Race makes the 08 Faze 2 a very solid build.

Weaknesses:    Style, or lack there of. Very basic.. simple pearl white paint with blue text. It does not "catch" your eye.
Would have preferred a Fox fork adjustable travel (personal preference). However RS REBA Race is dual air, very light and feels good once its dialed in.

Bottom Line:
I've got a 2008 Norco Faze Two. Retail was $2999.99+tax. I paid $1400.00 Pre-Owned through pinkbike.

Norco has jumped around a little bit with the Faze two as far as components each model year has different variations. The bike lasers around no problem and feels lightning fast pedaling hard through single-track. The build fits very well and inspires confidence where ever my bike trails may take me. The build is race ready out of the box if that's how you chose to ride it. I use mine as a XC weekend warrior + commuter and love every minute of it.

It is a truly a fast bike at only 28lbs w/o pedals (SIZE L). With a lighter wheelset+tubeless+clipless in you could find +/-25lb quickly, and shed even more if you upgrade with carbon bars,stem, seatpost ect.

For a "XC Enduro Series" categorized bike, its preforms with confidence in every situation I've faced yet. ProPedal RP23 is stiff yet forgiving, and climbs easily thanks to ProPedal and Norco's use of "Specialized" Patent Horst FSR design. I maybe would have preferred maybe 5" of F & R travel, but that's pushing towards an All Mountain build and would have the same composure, climbing capabilities and sharpness that Norco really nailed with the Faze Two XC Enduro Series.

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, components, geometry, tubed and light wheel-set (don't waste time with tubeless). Proven Alloy frame (I have broken 2 carbon hard-tails and I am not a heavy rider (70kg) - so I prefer to stay away from carbon period).

Weaknesses:    should come with a dropper seat post and it could have a talas front fork (eg. Giant Trance SL 0).
Lacks Kashima coating.
Advertised as triple butted but double butted is stated on the frame - a very weird oversight.
Suspension BOB which isn't a problem for me - but it exists nonetheless.

Bottom Line:
Who should buy it: Trail riders, people who like to ride easy through to tough trails and have fun.
Who shouldn't buy it: weight weenies who are looking for racy bikes with race geometry that aren't fun to ride and those scared of suspension bob.

Comparison to other bikes:
In my experience, this bike is much better then the Merida OneTwenty or Trek Fuel, and MUCH MUCH better then the POS Maverick, however, it is very close to the Giant Trance and looses out with the Trance when value for money is taken into account.
Performance wise and where money is not an issue then the Specialized StumpJumper is king (without the brain), followed very closely by the Giant Trance and the Norco Faze in 3rd place.

About this bike:
Geometry is awesome and allows blitz descends. The frame is compact enough to allow capable climbing during tight turns, which often are not easy for me (6.1ft = large frame bike), but on this bike I can make many tight turns without stopping.
I am of the opinion that one should just ride and not play with switches/knobs to lock shocks, etc. Hence, when left unchecked there is a lot more bob from the rear than on a Maverick, but then again the rear suspension actually works really well where you need it; downhill!
Bob isn't huge issue on any of the bikes I mentioned - no matter what the sales devils tell you, BOB isn't a huge problem and you barely notice it when you ride (well this is me 70kg). If you want no bob but a really POS dually look at Maverick or the complex Specialized Brain (which reduces performance and is expensive to fix). Something has to give.
The front fork could be a Fox Talas, but I heard that most riders of these "marathon" 120mm travel bikes actually leave the Talas on 120mm anyway. Still it would be nice to have the 140mm up front for those scary "if you need it" moments. But a dropper post is much better here anyway.
Finally make no mistake, if you cant get a discount and you are comparing RRP (what I like to call Recommended Rip-Off Price) then go for a Giant, you will get a much better spec.

Components:
In my opinion this bike has the best components.
Drive-train:
Shimano XTR rules all; I have ridden/used; SRAM XX, X0 and X9, FSA (cranks only).
Brakes:
Shimano XTR rules all; I have ridden/used; Avid (Juciy 3, 5, 7, Elixer), Tektro, Magura - all rubbish.
Suspension:
Fox Rules all; I have ridden/used; RockShox, DT, Maverick, Manitou - all much worse.

Value = 3 Chilis when considering RRP
Overall = 4.5

To end I am extremely happy with this bike and I highly recommend it. I thought I would share my comparison with you guys, which details approx 10years of riding most weekends and the occasional race.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield or Forrest

Similar Products Used:   Maverick ML7.5, Giant Reign, Giant Trance, Giant NSR, Trek Fuel, Merida OneTwenty (demo only), Specialised StumpJumper & Epic (demo only)

Bike Setup:   Stock - top end XTR, only changed the saddle for a more comfy one

Submitted by Den a Cross Country Rider from Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    great value for the dollar. Good Climber, love the remote lock out for the front (faze 2). Little to no bob on the rear when climbing, yet it remains active in soaking up the terrain when seated in the climg on rough fire road or trail.

Weaknesses:    Not fure if the weaknesses are more the builder of the bike or the bike it self. After some minor tightening and adjusting it resolved most of the issues I had. I still get a funny feel on the bottom bracket when climbing and just today there was a strange knock in one of the pedels when climbing. When it goes in for the first tune up since purchase i will have the BB inspected. Either way it has not affected the performance. The only other weakness is there was no quick lock lever for the seat post, at this price point I was a littel surprised (not a deal breaker.)

Bottom Line:
Great value for the dollar. This will be my bike for years to come. Great climber, road rides, aggresice XC, decends good when you soften the tire pressure and suspension. I would recommend this to friends, I have been riding for over ten years and this has been the best to date for my style of riding.

Favorite Trail:   Dilemma

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Jacks Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Prophet (which sucked and I would stear anyone away from purchasing. There was an issue with the lefty fork and whne I took it in I was told it needed to be replaced after only riding it for a short while. The cost to replace or fix I was told was going to be around 900 to 1000, as a result I bought a new bike. I wrote cannondale about the issue with the fork and got no response. I later learned there was a recall and had the bike fixed which I learned cost only 5 bucks. AVOID CANNONDALE, if looking at these reviews to get info for a new ride, the Norce product has been much better with better product support.) Norco atomic downhill bike, Norco Fluid (very similiar, but heavier. Specialized,, Hard Rock.

Bike Setup:   Changed out the grips to a lock grip as the stocks slide all over the place. Other than this, stock.

Submitted by Liron000 a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2010

Strengths:    Great suspension, light

Weaknesses:    The FSR suspension is good- but i prefer a full lock option for the rear suspension as well...

Bottom Line:
The bike are very XC oriented. As an aggressive XC rider i am not looking for speed, but more comfort and ability to tackle harsh single track terrain. off the box these bikes are not perfect for that cause. But once i switched to thicker tires, installed a bushgard and replaced the 100mm stem to a 70mm stem- the bike offers everything i want. They are light, give me the ability to ride XC, but when i want to go LOCO- they are right there for me...

Favorite Trail:   Aggressive XC

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   My first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   GT aggressor; Iron horse mavric-disk; Marin northsidetrail

Submitted by thesaints949 a Racer from Sudbury

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    stiff through linkage, aggressive angles

Weaknesses:    SPD pedals/317 wheels

Bottom Line:
This is an update from my first post. I raced this bike really hard last year and again this year-everything from Ontario Cup to Crank the Shield 3 day stage race. This is a great ride-plain and simple. You can race it out of the box, and you can make it lighter with some upgrades. Highly recommend this bike to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Dragon's Back

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar Expert, KHS XC 904 team, KHS XC 909 team,

Bike Setup:   Carbon bar,stem, seat post, Crossmax wheels, xt drive train....

Submitted by meadsy a Cross Country Rider from Emerald, Vic, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff rear end, No bob feel when riding, Great climber and turner
The XT bits.
Built to last

Weaknesses:    Overall weight, rims Mavic XM 317
Brakes not as bitey as expected - Elixers

Bottom Line:
Absoulutely great trial bike! Not light enough for a true XC racer, though the handling is. The fairly high bottom braket is great for getting over things yet does not feel out of place when spinning.
I choose this Norco over a Stumpjumper because of value for money. Both have the same suspension set up which works and is no passing fad. I also wanted an aluminium framed bike. Cabon has a bit to go in my opion for mtb use.
The forged linkages are built to last and make the rear stiff as.
The bike turns tight when you need to yet is stable on decents.
I like it lot just wish it was a bit lighter.

Favorite Trail:   Local single track

Purchased At:   x

Similar Products Used:   Specialised FSR, Trek fuel, Norco Charger

Bike Setup:   Stock for now may be some lighter rims and go tubless?

Submitted by thesaints949 a Racer from Sudbury

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    Very Stiff through the rear linkage, spec'd out very nicely for the price. Love the frame geometry. Great tires.

Weaknesses:    Not crazy about SPD pedals--would have preferred Cranks of Time.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. Much lighter and more responsive than the Dakar was, stiffer and more durable than the KHS (broke the KHS frame). The new XT components are great. It came with Mavic 317 / Schwalbe Racing Raplh wheels (Still good value), but I put my tubeless wheels on to race. I really like the frame stiffness and geometry. It allows you to set your suspension allot finer without having to factor lateral flexion through the linkage/frame into the mix. I find that with the MP23 propedal shock and SID race, I was able to set the bike up for racing (stiff) and get it tuned in very quickly. You can race the bike right out of the box. 4.5 chilis overall because I'm not an SPD pedal guy.

Purchased At:   Pinnacle Sports

Similar Products Used:   KHS XC 909R (XTR), Jamis Dakar expert,

Bike Setup:   XT drive train, Avid elixer brakes, easton carbon bar, stem, seat post, Crossmax ST/Kenda Small block 8 wheels, MTB saddle, SRAM 990 chain,

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    Will not let you down

Weaknesses:    Fork is pretty whimpy

Bottom Line:
I rode this bike HARD for 4 days in Canberra Aus. It is the best FS bike I have ridden to date. I hired it from the boys at Capital Bike Hire CBH, Canberra. Absolutely no bob on climbs and very good suspension when needed.Rode Stromlo and Sparrow and had the time of my life. Each ride was 3-4 hours and no complaints, at all. If i had not just built a 29er Ventana I would buy this bike. Buy a Faze 2 for upgrades, Faze 3 fork and wheels are entry level.
Thanks to Peter at CBH, will use them again.
4 chilis on each, no bike is a five!!!! let's be honest.
Cheers

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow mtn

Similar Products Used:   Lots of FS bikes. Titus Loco Moto, Specialized Epic, FSR, Cannondale Raven

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Canberra Australia

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Strengths:    Great feel, nice balance, great componentry

Weaknesses:    poor choice of pedals but easily changed.

Bottom Line:
A really good value bike with a great feel when riding. This was my first duel suspension bike after riding hardtails for years. I tried the Norco just as a comparison to another bike I was thinking of buying and decided to buy it instead. It rides just like a hardtail with the added bonus of inceased travel on the downhill. Climbs great, good balanced ride.

Favorite Trail:   Stomlo

Similar Products Used:   Kona bikes

Bike Setup:   Pretty original with Shimano XT pedals

Submitted by Jeremy Van a Downhiller from Vernon BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is well equipped stock, is fast, nimble, and durable. Is a stable ride despite being light with only 4 inches of travel.

Weaknesses:    Small block tires good for hardpack but little else, headset crapped out in first month.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money. Climbs well depsite not having a front fork lock-out. Fast bike on descents but I will have to see how it stands up to an abusive riding style over time.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Star

Purchased At:   Sun Country Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rock Mountain Vertex, Norco Nitro, Specialized FSXC

Bike Setup:   Big ring replaced with rock ring, kevlar bead Kenda Nevegal's, Flat pedals.

Submitted by Brad Chisholm a Racer from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    Everything. It's light It's fast handling, it accelerates like crazy. It has a high bottom bracket so you can pedal through single-track without a lot of worry.

Weaknesses:    Norco's four bar linkage suspension system runs pretty stiff so setting up the shock took a bit of time. With a FoxRP3, I run about 20lbs of air less than my body weight. E.I. I am 155lbs, so i have 135psi in the shock.

Bottom Line:
A great race machine and an awesome cross country trail bike. The full XT grouppo makes it well worth it. It rides like a dream.

Purchased At:   Pedalhead

Bike Setup:   Full 2008 XT. Rock Shox Reba. FoxRP3. Mavic 317 rims with XT hubs. Ritchey WCS cockpit.

Submitted by Garth a Racer from Alberta

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff rear-end, light, quick handling yet stable at speed. Excellent, thoughtful component selection. Suspension design/ rear shock compression ratio lets it use all of the travel so it feels deep and plush for a 4" travel bike

Weaknesses:    None yet. Not free but very good value at this end of the price spectrum

Bottom Line:
This is a GREAT race bike. While not an All-Mountain or aggressive trail bike it makes a fine, comfortable all-day ride, maximizing the suspension it has and is not just for short track/fire road racing. Race it or use it as a light weight enduro ride. It changes my perception of Norco entirely as they branch out from their North Shore image. I hope it is noticed.

Similar Products Used:   Blur original, Specialized Stumpjumper 06

Bike Setup:   Stock, which is great with Ritchie carbon bars, post.

Submitted by Shawn a Racer from Hillsboro, OR

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Solid component group for the price
Adjustable rear travel 4.5"/3.5"
Not many of them on the trails where I live compared to Trek, Specialized, Kona, Santa Cruz, etc.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is a bit too roadie like

Bottom Line:
I have been cross country racing for a little over a year and wanted to move from my trusty Raleigh hardtail to a full squishy bike. I test rode a Santa Cruz Superlight and Blur XC, Giant Anthem, Specialized FSR, and Iron Horse Azure Comp at local shops. The Norco was the best price with the deal my local shop gave me on it, especially considering the component group. Most of the parts on the bike (SRAM X.7, Avid Juicy5, Ritchey Comp Bars, Stylo 3.3 Cranks) work just as well as their higher priced counter parts, but are just a tad heavier. I really liked the wide Ritchey bar setup which helps with balance and control. Hardcore oldschool XC guys with flatbars will be turned off by this, but I'm from a moto background.
The bike has two rear travel positions: 3.8" and 4.5". I have left it at 4.5" and do not see any reason to use the shorter travel setting. With the Fox RP23 the bike bobs very little even with propedal turned off (I run about 20% sag). With Propedal on setting 3 the bike feals almost like a hardtail but still takes some of the edge off. On setting 1 you can barely feel it working.
The saddle is a bit thin and kind of digs into your leg when you try to grip the sides while descending. I would prefer something like a WTB Rocket V, but I'm getting used to the WTB Shadow. It comes with a Kenda 8 block tire which is a great fast rolling hardpack tire, but if you ride in the mud you should consider getting a different tire as the Kenda packs up fast.
I gave a value rating of 5 because of the deal my shop gave me, but if I paid full retail I would give a value rating of 3.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Trailhead Cycles

Upgrade alloy rocker on Faze 2/3 to CF Rocker?

Does anybody know the MSRP/part number on the carbon fibre suspension rocker used on the 2010 Faze 1 and Faze SL, and how much weight it saves compared to the alloy rocker used on the Faze 2/3? Thanks. DGRead More »

Norco Faze 2????

I saw a post and someone mentioned that the faze MIGHT clear a quasi-moto in the rear??? Can anyone confirm that? I bought the bike as my first bike back on the trails after a long lay-off and my current weight throws me over the front-end on descents because the fork can't support my weight. The ... Read More »

Anthem X3 vs Norco Faze 2

Just looking for opinions on the Giant Anthem X3 and the Norco Faze 2 I'm getting back in to riding after a very long absence and want a decent FS bike for a variety of duties. I prefer the geometry of the Norco Faze 2 over the Giant Trance but that is more a function of being used to my old HT ... Read More »

Giant Anthem X2 (09) or Norco Faze 2 (09)

I want a new XC bike for racing, for regional races (I already have a good trail bike). I'm down to these two bikes. The trails around here are mostly singletracks with plenty of rocks and roots. I can get them for pretty much the same price, what do you think would be the better choice? Also, I'm p ... Read More »

Need help with frame size for Norco FAZE 3.0

INFO i am unsure if a Medium Norco Faze 3.0 is the correct frame size for me due to my inexperience of purchasing MTBs. Salesman is helpful and knowledgeable (only one store in town) but model im looking at is older stock and he seems eager to get rid of it. MAIN QUESTION which size: M or ... Read More »