Motobecane Fantom XC Full Suspension

• Avid SD7 Brakes/Levers
  • M-Wings Team Issue Wheelset

Submitted by Koin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Strengths:    Durable frame
3 travel settings
Great value if you buy stock
Sealed bearings (most bikes have this now though)
Well tested faux-bar suspension
Brake jack makes you descend faster haha

Weaknesses:    Stock shock was not the best tune for the frame. The frame really needs a med or high tune if you want to run the bike in the 4 or 5in travel position.
Frame is a bit flexy at the rear end when ridden hard. Stock fork is a little flexy with 9mm drop outs and 32mm stancions when ridden hard.
3 travel settings. The different travel settings are nice, but the bike really performs the best in the 3 and 4in travel settings. Many people are putting the bike in the 5in setting, but the stock rear shock is a low tune and the leverage ratio of the 5in setting is very high. I ended up replacing the stock 2012 Rock Shox monarch rt3 low tune with a 2013 Monarch RT3 Med tune and put the bike in the 4in setting. What a difference! To be fair, the 2012 monarch rt3 kinda sucked (according to other reviews and my experience).
Well tested faux-bar suspension. The bike suspension design is outdated (or well proven, however you want to look at it). Flipping the switch on the shock does next to nothing as the suspension design doesn't play well with propedal settings. The suspension is prone to a little bit of bob - not much and I don't even notice it while climbing. It still smooths out the trail and that's what it was meant to do.
Brake Jack - when on the rear brake on a steep rocky descent, the rear suspension stiffens up. It turns the rear end into a boat anchor as you plummet down, bouncing all around. No it's not that bad, and really I just lay off the brakes and do some light feathering. This has allowed me to go faster downhill haha.

Not many size options. Med measures 18.5, I need a 19.5 but this one works with some tweaks. Only comes in 16.5, 18.5, and 21.5.

Bottom Line:
For reference, I'm 24 year olds and 190 lbs. If you buy this bike, buy it new and have a professional build it up. Don't buy the frame and build it up, unless you have all the parts already and are experienced. Building a bike from the frame up will be MORE expensive than buying it new.

I bought this bike as the frame only and built it up from there. It's a 2011 model and it's my first "real" mountain bike. I can't attest to the long term quality of the bike's stock components. I got the frame as a great deal from someone who robbed all the good stuff off of it. I slowly built it up with my broke college budget with crappy parts that didn't function well, a super heavy FR fork (my bad, didn't know anything about axle to crown lengths at the time of purchase), and a rear shock that was the wrong tune for the frame (that came stock). Now that I've got the bike somewhere near stock - actually a little bit better, I feel like I can write a decent review. At best though, even with the less than perfect parts on it for so long, I can say that I've gotten to know the frame quite well.

My bike set up right now has changed since I first got the frame. It's much better now than it ever has been and a bit better than stock in my opinion. The BB7s I have on it work fantastic (so long as I'm not dragging the brakes for super long periods of time). I'm planning on some XT brakes in the near future though.

This bike is very durable! The rear end feels a bit flexy with 9mm x 135mm drop outs. But if you've never ridden a 12mm x 142mm then you haven't been spoiled and a 135 x 9mm is plenty. I've crashed this thing so many times and had no issues of bent frame, cracks, dents, or anything (knock on wood). The wheels haven't even gone out of true (but these wheels are not what come stock). The front end is still a bit noodlely when pushed hard in corners, but what 120mm travel 32mm stancioned fork isn't? The front thru axle is MUCH stiffer than the 9mm QR that came stock on it though.

Overall I'd say that this bike stock is great value. Sure they cheap out on some of the components such as the crankset, but they make up for it with the shifters and derailleurs. The brakes that come stock are crap. They feel good out of the box but then over time become crap. The rear shock was the wrong tune for the frame unless I kept it in the 3in travel setting. But who would want to keep it there anyways? I think that the stock stem and bar setup is a bit too long and too narrow for my personal tastes. The kenda small block eight tires that come stock are great if you're on smooth hardpack. Superfast tires. For my tastes though I enjoy the grip of the specialized ground control. Then again this bike was intended to be ridden XC. Most of the trails in my area are XC, but some are much more trail oriented. So far it's survived the stress that I've put on it.

Unfortunately this bike is less forgiving than other more modern bikes. Sure I can keep up with the rest of them (at the expense of more energy used), but this bike lets you know when you've made a mistake or picked a bad line. It doesn't say "Bro, I've got your back" but rather "You got away with that THIS time" or "Serves you right!" and "That's what you get!" At the end of a long day in the saddle, I feel beat. So beat that I don't want to ride any more (OH NO WHAT A SIN!). Some other bikes I've ridden at demos or borrowed or rented don't beat me up quite as much. Of course there are times when the bike says things like "Great job!" or "That was fking awesome!" and "You've improved so much in your technique". Maybe I'm just hearing things though.

For the price, this bike is AWESOME. BikesDirect has it for around $1700 or so. With that you get XTR shifters, XTR derailleurs, and Avid Elixir brakes. The XTR stuff by itself costs nearly as much as the whole bike. Not to mention that the stock Vuelta wheels spin super smooth (I got the chance to see some, kinda wanted them, but I like the durability of my wheels), but I can't attest to the durability of them.

This bike has taken me all over the place, it has traveled with me on my journeys, sent me flying through the air, smashed into trees and rocks, slid out in fast corners, survived and conquered nasty descents, and has even taken me to school as a daily rider (until I got my road bike). While it sounds like I'm just complaining about this bike, I really do love it. I think I've outgrown it a bit and I want to ride bigger. I'm looking at a new bike possibly a Trek Remedy or Santa Cruz Bronson to replace it. Shh don't tell it that though! I'll keep it around as a loaner for my friends who don't have a mountain bike. I've already converted some of my roadie buddies to mountain bikes!

This bike would be great for someone who is new to the sport and wants a decent bike but not break the bank. While it doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles, it's a bike that can keep up with the rest of them.

Favorite Trail:   Big Cedar Wilderness Trails, Oak Cliff Nature Preserve

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Pinkbike.com buy and

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX 26 (demoed), Trek Remedy 650b (demoed), Specialized Camber fsr (rented), Specialized Stumpjumper fsr (demoed),
Trek 3700 (owned before this bike)

Bike Setup:   My bike set up right now has a newer 2013 Rock Shox Monarch RT3 med tune shock - made a HUGE difference, 2014 Rock Shox Reba franken fork (it has a straight steerer tube and a 15mm thru axle. What a pain that RS doesn't sell that config stock). 700mm bars, 75mm stem, Spec Command Post Blacklite dropper post, Spec Phenom saddle, avid BB7 180 and 160 brakes. Shimano SLX cranks w/ double chainrings (now has a raceface wide narrow single ring), SLX rear der, XT 10spd cassette w/ Wolf Tooth 42 GC, XT chain 10spd, XTR rear shifter 10spd, WTB frequency i23 rims laced to Shimano XT hubs, and specialized ground control 2.3 front and 2.1 rear.

Submitted by wbflyer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2014

Strengths:    Great XTR components, RockShox setup, frame quality

Weaknesses:    none really..

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike now for a few weeks. I must say for the mony spent, you will not find a better bike.. period. light, nimble and once you change a few settings, fits perfeclty. I changed the tires, stem and bar and bar height. Once I did this, it filts me perfectly. The Elixir 9 brakes might be changed but not anytime soon. I prefer XT hydros.

I highly recommend it and would buy another one and I will once I wear this one out.

Favorite Trail:   Sandy Ridge

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2

Submitted by Gruff

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2014

Strengths:    The components are outstanding for the dollar.

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far, may be a tad heavy for some but I'm not in the market to pay an extra grand to shave a couple of pounds

Bottom Line:
Ok so I live with a budget and was checking out the motobcane due to the components and price tag. After reading a few reviews and found only minor complaints about pedals and seat post was set make the purchase. Long story short cash ran out, found a used one online (last years model) for $500 with upgraded stem, pedals, tires and about 25 miles put on, not a scratch. Been riding for couple months and this bike is fantastic!! IT climbs excellent, flying downhill is very comfortable coming from a hardtail. I use this mainly for single track, up, down, any terrain I can run over and have been very pleased. Its shifts great on uphill under full power, and I am finding myself jumping and pushing myself more on this bike. I am not a bike expert and don't swap out bikes often (every decade maybe) but even at full price this is a great bike. If you want a expensive name brand bike go for it but if your on a budget this is it.

Submitted by Kiko a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Price
Components

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
Great full suspension bike especially for the cost, components are top notch, frame is durable and preforms well. The bike looks good for an "outdated frame", lots of complements. I would recommend this bike and company to anyone. It would of been nice to have a quick release seat but not a big deal to adjust. Overall great buy!!

Submitted by packets a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    My first experience with full suspension, hydraulic disk brakes, and clipless pedals which took about 10 rides to get adjusted/tuned and familar with. I currently have 170+ miles of singletrack on this amazing peddler and I've managed to (mostly) stay mounted and unhurt as of late. Other than a few scratches and scrapes the bike continues to be fully on demand. Me on the other hand, well, my first 10 rides found me sore, bruised, and/or bleeding while anticipating my next ride or wondering if I should ride again...at 50 I realized I don't heal/recover as quick as I once did.

Weaknesses:    None, but the rider. It’s not that I don’t have the nerve to attempt the deep dips, steep climbs, quick swoops, tight corners, long drops, and unending rocks, roots, mud, water, and dirt at speeds probably beyond me, because it’s all I want to do. This bike continues to cause me to ride dangerously above my ability and I'm lovin it! Knee and shin pads quickly became my favorite safety equipment and I don't leave the house without them! :-)

Bottom Line:
The Motobecane 2013 Fantom Comp DS is a very well made full suspension bike with solid components. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or purchase another online (http://tinyurl.com/8un82o6)

Favorite Trail:   Betts- Holly Springs, NC

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Once I got the preload correct I discovered I prefer the rear travel at 3". The 5" feels too squishy for the type of riding I do...the bikes rear travel arrived set at 4" and can be set at 3, 4, or 5 inches.

Submitted by brf4n a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Avid Brakes - replace them ASAP!

Bottom Line:
After six hundred miles and two crashes, I can say I am thoroughly amazed with this bike. I cannot say enough good things about it. One thing though - sell the Elixirs that come with it and buy Shimano XTs. Other than that, like another reviewer said, BUY THIS BIKE!

Purchased At:   bd

Submitted by Hugh

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2012

Strengths:    Component set is outstanding for the price. You can't buy these components separately for what the whole bike sells for.

Weaknesses:    Bob on rear shock-minimized with set-up to shortest travel and new RT3 Monarch.
Very light on the front end for climbing.

Bottom Line:
It is a very nice bike, with excellent components. I'm 6'2" and 225lbs. I found the bike to be very light on the front-end and during very steep climbs it was very difficult to keep the front wheel planted. This is probably due to the short-wheelbase and the change from 100mm to 120mm front fork.
Bought a Pivot Mach 4 frame and took the parts I could from this bike (rear derailleur, wheels, crank, brakes, shifters, fork, bar) and put them on the Pivot. Had to buy a new front derailleur and rear shock plus some adapter parts. No comparison now. Pivot steers much better, no pedal bob and the front end stays planted. Granted the frame and shock cost more than the whole Motobecane did.

Submitted by itsadamb a Cross Country Rider from Plantation, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing bike! Granted this is my first full suspension but i've ridden some of my friends $2-3,000 Trek and Specialized bikes and can't say they feel any better than this bike. The componenets are all pretty top of the line and i did a lot of shopping at the local bike shops and nothing could compete for less than $1,800-2,000! So i took a risk after reading some of the good reviews online and must say this bike is amazing!

Weaknesses:    Non-Name brand frame but its for me and i love it!

Bottom Line:
If you dont absolutely need to have the newest and name brand products you will definitely get your money's worth out of this bike! and no... i don't work fo them! I'm just a very happy customer!

Favorite Trail:   Amelia Earhart State Park

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Submitted by Fullermechanical a Weekend Warrior from Napa , ca. 94559

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2012

Strengths:    Top of the line products that are found on $5000. And up bikes , very light, great geometry
And beutiful aluminum welds

Weaknesses:    Stock tires are too thin and handle bars are a little too narrow ( I'm used to wide motorcycle bars )

Bottom Line:
I've owned three high end cannondales ( which I loved ) , one specialized and one giant . I raced world cup in 2001 , napa valley dirt classic , downievill downhill , many cycle cross and billy goat races . Every time I would bye a new bike I would end up spending more Money upgrading to my liking. I stumbled across motobecane by accident while searching for a new bike , I was very hesitant at first ,but after doing a little research I figured I would order a 2012 fantom team full suspension 30 speed. The bike arrived in 3 days so I called a buddy who owned a specialized / trek shop in napa to come over and take a look. He was impressed and said I couldn't have built myself for that price. I've rode it three times so far and I'm glad to say that it feels like a high end bike ( because it is ) . I' m not one to be brand favorite and I've never owned anything that I thought was flawless , but for the money and the quality the motobecane is close

Favorite Trail:   Angwin

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   Bikes direct

Bike Setup:   All stock except tires and bars

Submitted by Maine_Guy a Cross Country Rider from Portland, ME

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Update to previous review. Almost two years of winter and summer riding since I bought this bike. Bikesdirect has been good to work with. Not like having a LBS - but they have responded to requests reasonably. Kudos for that.

The bike has been flawless - nearly. Normal wear and adjustments, that is a great strength. Still a light, responsive and durable bike.. so far.

Weaknesses:    I've broken stuff - mostly normal wear and abuse related - bashed chain-ring, pushloc broke.

Bleeding brakes is a pain. Getting the squeek out of these avid elixir brakes is tricky - but can be done (has nothing to do with bleeding - but do not get brake fluid on your pads). Vibration usually indicates a loose bolt, or improperly aligned pads. Both in my case... + found a hidden, loose bolt.

Bottom Line:
Still enjoying my bike,

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em.

Purchased At:   Bike Direct

Bike Setup:   Upgraded the stem for longer reach and added wider & taller bars. Wider tires too.

Submitted by Dustin_GI a Cross Country Rider from Terceira Island, Azores

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    Price, parts, ride quality, suspension travel, XTR shifters, and derailleurs, Avid elixir CR's front and rear. FSA V drive crankset is lighter than an XT, riser bars, and once again the price...

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough good about this bike. I bought it in 2011, Rode some single track in Florida at the Pensacola trails a few times, did an adventure race with it in Central Florida and off road power line riding in N Florida whenever I could get the chance. The bike chewed up whatever I fed it and just kept going. I now live in the Azores and ride wherever I can here, you are always going up a hill or down one here. Really, it is not flat anywhere. Off road is rocky, muddy, full of cow crap, and did I mention rocky. The bike performs wherever without problems. I notice very little bob when riding up the hills whether on or off road, the lockout on the fork is nice on the long Azorean up hills here and I am not light either at 6-1 210lbs so the suspension has to work. On that note, the suspension if great, fast downhills with no problem. The bike stays planted and soaks up everything. Mine weighs in at 29lbs with new Azonic Fushion pedals so they are not super light. If that is a problem, workout and ride some more. The durability of the Fantom Pro DS is amazing, my wife says nothing is ""Dustin proof" and so far other than the XTR shifter this proven her wrong. I am probably going to buy the Fantom 29FS when they come back in stock just to have one each.

Note: 1. I would probably get a large if your over 6ft. My med is a bit small, but works.
2. I did flip the shock as instructed so it would not get damaged. If you don't get crazy on downhills you probably would not have to do this, but I like the downhills steep and fast.

Favorite Trail:   Wherever I can ride

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   a GT many years ago for downhill, and a lot of road bike time.

Bike Setup:   as spec'ed on the BD website

Submitted by xcinkenya a Cross Country Rider from Nairobi, Kenya

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing AMAZING components. Top of the the line components, and FOR THAT PRICE!!! I really feel bad for anyone who paid for a $4,000 or 5,000 Trek or Specialized or any other known brand and still have an inferior bike! Smooth, light, looks great. Other make of for their inferior bikes by making the bike look fancy, and cheat you on the drivetrain, shocks, brakes, and rims.This bike, what you see is what you get! And what you get, other people pay even $6000 to get!

Weaknesses:    ARE you kidding me? For the price? NONE! I got way more than what I paid for it!

Bottom Line:
Ok. THIS IS THE BIKE TO GET!!!!!!!! Do not spend 4K on a bike. You will be getting cheated...bottom line. I rode some trails in the Bay Area, and just brought it back to Kenya, and guys this bike just works!! I really like the drive train and the shocks. I do not get it when people say the Monarch rear shock is not so good...most people are paying way more money for bikes with much more inferior shocks.

I upgraded my handlebar and got a carbon one, and the front now is soooo light which makes cornering unbelievably fun. I also upgraded my saddle and seatpost....preference and kind of a weight weenie thing...Bought new tires and converted them to ghetto tubeless...I mourn not using the Kenda Small blocks (I think I will frame them) , but this is Africa y'all, and those sidewalls will be shredded by volcanic rocks, thorns that give Stan a run for his money, or some unknown phenomenon that can only be found in Africa.

Take it from me, a Kenyan, riding in Kenya where the terrain tests the best bikes....GET THIS BIKE! If you are a Weekend Warrior, XC rider, and you like nice toys...this is for you!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in san jose, CA, anywhere in Kenya

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Merida

Bike Setup:   XTR carbon shadow rear der, XTR front der, XTR shfiters, Nice FSA Crankset, Avid Elixir brakes, Vuelta XRP superlite pro rims, stock kenda small block tires, Reba Race front shock, Rockshocks Monarch 3.3, GREAT BIKE!

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2011

Strengths:    Good Spec Componets for the $$

Weaknesses:    Frame snapped, Moto Company difficult to deal with. 10 months to replace frame. Fought with them every week.

Bottom Line:
Aviod this company's product. The pennies I thought I was saving by this purchase, were insignificant compared to the aggravation this bike frame caused.
Buy from a company that stands by their product, Trek, Speacilized etc, anyone but these jokers.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Tucson ,AZ

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Joshua, Speacilized Enduro Pro

Bike Setup:   LX/XT

Submitted by nefariousrogue a Cross Country Rider from West Palm Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    Phenomenal component build, and an amazing price behind it. Better than expected construction quality of frame and design.

Weaknesses:    Cheap cable guides cause some initial shifting problems, easy fix. Cheap gravity pedals are worthless. Do not expect any grip on platform side. Gravity hubs are a little heavy and noisy.

Bottom Line:
This is a phenomenal bike. I was a skeptic for buying a cheap bike on the web sight unseen. I asked many many questions to Bikesdirect about sizing to ensure I was ordering the correct one. After assembly and a proper tuning, I was made into a believer. The ride quality of the bike was much smoother, faster and more responsive than most bikes I had ridden in the past. Combine that with top level component build for a cheap price, the bike practically sells itself.

I waited to post a review until I had a decent amount of use with it to determine its long term durability. After almost 6 months of use, it still feels great. It is a strong and well built frame. I didn't expect a perfect tune out of the box, just enough to ride it around the driveway. You will need to take it to your LBS for a proper tune. I had a few frame bolts loose, the shifters were not set up as well as need be, and two cable guides were incorrect. I swapped out for some Ergon grips and Eggbeaters pedals (The stock Gravity ones are poor), and the bike rides great.

If you are debating buying this bike, then the answer is simple. The bike is worth every penny. Outstanding price, Outstanding component/frame, Outstanding ride.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park, Sunrise, FL

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   All stock components (Recon Gold RL Solo fork, Monarch 3 rear shock, FSA hallow crank, Avid Elixer 160mm brakes, All XT with XTR rear d.) I added Ergon GP-1 Lichtbau grips and Eggbeaters Candy 1 pedals.

Submitted by slychild a Weekend Warrior from Ogden Utah USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    Frame Shock Fork Derailleurs Brakes Wheels

Weaknesses:    Cassette Tires Bar Stem

Bottom Line:
2011 Motobecane Phatom Team
I bought this bike for my wife and I will be comparing it to my bike a Santa Cruz Blur. My bike has 4.5”/4.7” travel with a Push built Factory Fox RP23 and a Push built Factory Fox F120 RLC with full XTR so the bar is set pretty high. The Cassette on the Phatom is a 11/27 This is a worthless(but light) little piece of junk that helps them keep there weight at 24 LBS
I complained and they said “race bike “ That is not what Shimano says on a web-link ironically provided by them “ 11/36 is best with the 30 speed Dyna-system.
The tires are a mere 345g, a 1.65” inner tube with little nobs on it. Again worthless pieces to help them keep the 24#. The bar is a flat narrow 23” and the stem is 110mm. How often do you see a flat bar with a 120mm fork? Never but it's light. Grade time... the tires and cassette F you couldn't have done worse. The bar and stem D-. The chain F it's not a Dyna-System without a Dyna-System chain that is directional and the whole system is made to work together.
The shifters brakes derailleurs shock, fork, wheels and frame A
The way this bike comes it would be good for racing someone on a dirt road and that's about it.
The $450 dollars to get it right added 2.5 pounds and the changes are as follows.
A 11/36 XT Dyna-System cassette and XTR Dyna-System chain. Schwable Nobby Nic 2.25 at 470g gets the job. A 75mm stem make the bike much more lively, eager to turn instead of wanting to go straight and a 1” riser bar makes shifting your weight easier and both make getting behind the saddle on super steep descents possible. A Specialized Ariel saddle adds greatly to the comfort for my wife.
Ditch the deceiving 24lb weight claim,(real tires will add a pound) add the 2 or 3 lbs, and add $200. to the price tag to get the right parts and you have a great trail bike or endurance racer.
. Even with the extra $400 I spent it is still by far the best deal out there. The frame is awesome, over built, very strong, super stiff, and it is reasonably light.. The welding is a work of art and the clear coat shows it off.
I set the shock on the middle platform setting and sprinted away with no pedal bob at all, and yet it is still plush. This was a surprise that there Active Fantom 4B suspension would pedal as well as my Blur. My Blur with its VVP pedals great with no platform at all, but the Fantom feels damn close to as plush as my Blur when its shock is set on the mid setting. The fork is great ,and I love the pop-lock brakes,shifting, and now the gear range are all great. I put my pedals and seat on the bike and rode it up and down ice box canyon at Snow Basin in Utah, a knarlly trail indeed My Blur is more nimble but the Phatom is more stable at high speed. I love the bike now, it handles great, pedals great and looks great.
It's like two different people specified parts for the bike one got the lightest parts no matter what, the other got the best parts no matter what.

Favorite Trail:   Ice Box Canyon @ Snow Basin