Motobecane Fantom Team XC Full Suspension

• M-Wings Team Issue Wheelset
  • Stainless Double Butted Spokes 32fr/32r

Submitted by Hugh

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2012

Strengths:    Component set is outstanding for the price. You can't buy these components separately for what the whole bike sells for.

Weaknesses:    Bob on rear shock-minimized with set-up to shortest travel and new RT3 Monarch.
Very light on the front end for climbing.

Bottom Line:
It is a very nice bike, with excellent components. I'm 6'2" and 225lbs. I found the bike to be very light on the front-end and during very steep climbs it was very difficult to keep the front wheel planted. This is probably due to the short-wheelbase and the change from 100mm to 120mm front fork.
Bought a Pivot Mach 4 frame and took the parts I could from this bike (rear derailleur, wheels, crank, brakes, shifters, fork, bar) and put them on the Pivot. Had to buy a new front derailleur and rear shock plus some adapter parts. No comparison now. Pivot steers much better, no pedal bob and the front end stays planted. Granted the frame and shock cost more than the whole Motobecane did.

Submitted by Fullermechanical a Weekend Warrior from Napa , ca. 94559

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2012

Strengths:    Top of the line products that are found on $5000. And up bikes , very light, great geometry
And beutiful aluminum welds

Weaknesses:    Stock tires are too thin and handle bars are a little too narrow ( I'm used to wide motorcycle bars )

Bottom Line:
I've owned three high end cannondales ( which I loved ) , one specialized and one giant . I raced world cup in 2001 , napa valley dirt classic , downievill downhill , many cycle cross and billy goat races . Every time I would bye a new bike I would end up spending more Money upgrading to my liking. I stumbled across motobecane by accident while searching for a new bike , I was very hesitant at first ,but after doing a little research I figured I would order a 2012 fantom team full suspension 30 speed. The bike arrived in 3 days so I called a buddy who owned a specialized / trek shop in napa to come over and take a look. He was impressed and said I couldn't have built myself for that price. I've rode it three times so far and I'm glad to say that it feels like a high end bike ( because it is ) . I' m not one to be brand favorite and I've never owned anything that I thought was flawless , but for the money and the quality the motobecane is close

Favorite Trail:   Angwin

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   Bikes direct

Bike Setup:   All stock except tires and bars

Submitted by Maine_Guy a Cross Country Rider from Portland, ME

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Update to previous review. Almost two years of winter and summer riding since I bought this bike. Bikesdirect has been good to work with. Not like having a LBS - but they have responded to requests reasonably. Kudos for that.

The bike has been flawless - nearly. Normal wear and adjustments, that is a great strength. Still a light, responsive and durable bike.. so far.

Weaknesses:    I've broken stuff - mostly normal wear and abuse related - bashed chain-ring, pushloc broke.

Bleeding brakes is a pain. Getting the squeek out of these avid elixir brakes is tricky - but can be done (has nothing to do with bleeding - but do not get brake fluid on your pads). Vibration usually indicates a loose bolt, or improperly aligned pads. Both in my case... + found a hidden, loose bolt.

Bottom Line:
Still enjoying my bike,

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em.

Purchased At:   Bike Direct

Bike Setup:   Upgraded the stem for longer reach and added wider & taller bars. Wider tires too.

Submitted by slychild a Weekend Warrior from Ogden Utah USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    Frame Shock Fork Derailleurs Brakes Wheels

Weaknesses:    Cassette Tires Bar Stem

Bottom Line:
2011 Motobecane Phatom Team
I bought this bike for my wife and I will be comparing it to my bike a Santa Cruz Blur. My bike has 4.5”/4.7” travel with a Push built Factory Fox RP23 and a Push built Factory Fox F120 RLC with full XTR so the bar is set pretty high. The Cassette on the Phatom is a 11/27 This is a worthless(but light) little piece of junk that helps them keep there weight at 24 LBS
I complained and they said “race bike “ That is not what Shimano says on a web-link ironically provided by them “ 11/36 is best with the 30 speed Dyna-system.
The tires are a mere 345g, a 1.65” inner tube with little nobs on it. Again worthless pieces to help them keep the 24#. The bar is a flat narrow 23” and the stem is 110mm. How often do you see a flat bar with a 120mm fork? Never but it's light. Grade time... the tires and cassette F you couldn't have done worse. The bar and stem D-. The chain F it's not a Dyna-System without a Dyna-System chain that is directional and the whole system is made to work together.
The shifters brakes derailleurs shock, fork, wheels and frame A
The way this bike comes it would be good for racing someone on a dirt road and that's about it.
The $450 dollars to get it right added 2.5 pounds and the changes are as follows.
A 11/36 XT Dyna-System cassette and XTR Dyna-System chain. Schwable Nobby Nic 2.25 at 470g gets the job. A 75mm stem make the bike much more lively, eager to turn instead of wanting to go straight and a 1” riser bar makes shifting your weight easier and both make getting behind the saddle on super steep descents possible. A Specialized Ariel saddle adds greatly to the comfort for my wife.
Ditch the deceiving 24lb weight claim,(real tires will add a pound) add the 2 or 3 lbs, and add $200. to the price tag to get the right parts and you have a great trail bike or endurance racer.
. Even with the extra $400 I spent it is still by far the best deal out there. The frame is awesome, over built, very strong, super stiff, and it is reasonably light.. The welding is a work of art and the clear coat shows it off.
I set the shock on the middle platform setting and sprinted away with no pedal bob at all, and yet it is still plush. This was a surprise that there Active Fantom 4B suspension would pedal as well as my Blur. My Blur with its VVP pedals great with no platform at all, but the Fantom feels damn close to as plush as my Blur when its shock is set on the mid setting. The fork is great ,and I love the pop-lock brakes,shifting, and now the gear range are all great. I put my pedals and seat on the bike and rode it up and down ice box canyon at Snow Basin in Utah, a knarlly trail indeed My Blur is more nimble but the Phatom is more stable at high speed. I love the bike now, it handles great, pedals great and looks great.
It's like two different people specified parts for the bike one got the lightest parts no matter what, the other got the best parts no matter what.

Favorite Trail:   Ice Box Canyon @ Snow Basin

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Blur

Submitted by Maine_Rider a Weekend Warrior from Portland, ME

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    Light, responsive, plush, nice brakes.

Weaknesses:    Rear-shock interference problem, skinny tires. They shipped the REBA rear shock (as shown on the website) with shock mounted with dampening lever in "up" position. Where it is supposed to be.. right? No. This interferes with the linkage and crushes the shock air-fill tube! I have to ship shock back now since it is damaged. I don't like adding another 4" of reach to change the lever to correct an obvious interference issue with the shock (their "solution" is to re-install the shock upside-down after they fix it). Not very happy.

Bottom Line:
The shock-issue stinks.. but I'm generally happy with the bike otherwise. It is light, the shocks work well, the brakes are amazingly responsive with a feather touch. I've used it pretty hard and it has taken all I've given it in style, with smooth shock action along the way. I worry about suspension linkages over time (going loose) - will see what years of hard use delivers.

Favorite Trail:   Guess

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Not a lot to compare to, since my previous bike was 20+ tears old. I tried a few friends' bikes. It compares well, if not better.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for new tires. I upgraded to the SRAM 2x10 - it was additional. I like the 2x20, although unsure if it was worth the additional $$. Going back to my old bike makes me wish both bikes had the 2x20 setup, less gears is better.

Submitted by CodyWy a Cross Country Rider from Montana

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2010

Strengths:    Stable yet nimble. Turns on a dime. Good uphill. Great downhill.

Weaknesses:    Comes with whimpy tires, I guess to help make their weight claim.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It climbs like a mtn goat and downhills like a mutha. I ride with a guy who has a Jamis All Mountain. He can only lose me when things get really dicey. Other than that, I'm on his butt the whole way. My only complaint is that the bike has a wide Q-factor. It would be nice if the pedals were closer together.

Favorite Trail:   yeah right

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   BD

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension. Before that I rode a Kona Kula, Bridgstone MB-0, Trek 8000, Specialized Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except that I added 2.1 inch tires and bar ends.

Submitted by mmaurini a Weekend Warrior from Uxbridge, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2010

Strengths:    Price, lightness, components.

Weaknesses:    Wheelset is a little weak.... 225 lbs rider.

Bottom Line:
This rig is the best bike I have ever owned. It climbs like a rocket and can be setup to handle the rough stuff as well (rear swing arm on max travel). The road cassette that is comes with needs to be replaced by a more suitable unit, but other then that my bike was ready to ride right out of the box.

I am 225 lbs and in over 2 years of hard use, other then the wheelset, I have never broken a single component or been let down by this bike in anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest / Glen Major

Purchased At:   BikesDirect

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane 700HT, ORYX

Bike Setup:   XTR

Submitted by manabiker a Weekend Warrior from Garden Ciy, Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    Price, componets, weight, looks, handling, comfort, did I say looks, this bike is a work of art. Almost as good as my 1970's Motobecane, I owned for over 30yrs.

Weaknesses:    Tires were light but not enough grip for Michigan mud, sand, gravel, washes, roots, cassette was a road gear, 12x27, changed to a 12x32, everything else is fine.

Bottom Line:
This bike is GREAT!!! it's still light even with my set up, I figure it's around 27 pounds, I have the 18.5 in bike, I'm about 225 with gear on, I have the rear set on the 5 inch setting, the forks a 120mm, the bike has over 100 miles on it now, and I've taken it on the ruffest stuff in lower Michigan, this bike absorbs the punishment so I don't have to, I always come in with a big smile on my face, my lap times, and speed increase daily on my regular trail, Maybury, (no Andy and Barney Fife aren't there,LOL) it's very technical, I do the Potawami once a week, and its got to be one of the most punishing trails in the USA, this bike takes it better then me thats for sure, this bike is way better then I'll ever be, if I can't improve with this bike it's my fault. Did I say how great this bike looks, I get compliments everytime out, and people are really interested in Motobecane, I hear I'm getting this or that Motobecane soon, alot, there are lots of bad things said about Motobecanes, thats probably generated by dealers, they sure don't want people to find out about these bikes, the prices are unbelievable, the bikes are amazing, you have to do your own set up, but thats just good stuff to know, Youtube has all the info you'll need, learn to do your own work, your wallet will thank you, and you can save even more money, an XTR bike for $1900.00 with Reba Race w/push button gate, Rock Shox forks, FSA Carbon fiber crankset, Avid Carbon disc brakes, Monarch 4.2 Rock Shox W/gate, the suspension works great, the list goes on and on, unbelievable!!!! I wish I could give a higher rating.

Favorite Trail:   Potawami, Hell, Michigan

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bikers Direct

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane Fantom Comp, a bit heavy, but a great trail bike also..

Bike Setup:   Oury Grips(use end caps under grips or get holes in end of grips) Schwalbe Fat Alberts 2.25 tires, Shimano SPD M-540 peddles, Planet Bike 9.0 computer

Submitted by Trevor a Cross Country Rider from Silverthorne, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Strengths:    light weight,mostly good components

Weaknesses:    chain, tires, cassette

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike with solid components. I couldn't find anything else that even comes close to this build without spending lots more. The rear shock is nothing to write home about but works ok. I like the Reba fork, the shifters and brakes. The front caliper was installed wrong and I had to remount it with the washers in the correct order. They had all four on top of the caliper and the wheel wouldn't even fit. The chain should be tossed immediately. I pulled it off during the intial setup because of other reviews. I laid the chain out to get the length for the Shimano chain I was installing and discovered the stock chain exceeded the pin to pin dimensions for stretch-total junk. I also pulled off the cassette and replaced with an 11-34. The 12-28 it comes with is the same model I use on my road bike-now I have a spare. The tires are light and fast but probably not too durable in more technical stuff. I put a tire liner to protect against flats and run near full pressure since I weigh 200 pounds. They worked well in the easy single track I rode so far. I also changed the seat clamp for a QR so I could make adjustments for downhill without tools. I will be using this as a winter commuter with studded tires as well as XC during the summer and some downhill at the ski areas near my home. The frame is well made and the welds are top notch. I didn't have to adjust the shifting at all which really suprised me. The wheels are light and were almost true out of the box. I always true and tension new wheels and these were pretty good to start with (I only had to tweak a couple of spokes). We'll see how they hold up to the bike park at Keystone resort. I was hesitant to get this bike. My other bikes are all Specialized. I am glad I got this one. My next road bike will probably be Motobecane too if this one continues to work out. If you are not used to working on bikes make sure you read all the literature (from the mfg's on their websites too) or have the setup done by a skilled mechanic.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on currently

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hard rock

Bike Setup:   stock fantom except chain and cassette

Submitted by steve Bryant a Weekend Warrior from Libby, mt.

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    price, weight, components,

Weaknesses:    none so far, but the gears are way to high for my climbing ability.

Bottom Line:
Great bike I've read some negative reviews by some bike shop mechanics, who say the bikes direct products are " crap". They claim these reviews are bogus BS written by bikes direct folks. I'm no mechanic, but what more can they do with the same components? Now if this fantom frame goes to s--- in a year, I guess they might have some point, that I should have paid 4000.00 for a trek or specialized. Lets hope all goes well, and there really are great deals to be had.

Favorite Trail:   Sheldon MT

Similar Products Used:   trek 8000, but no full suspension bikes

Bike Setup:   factory, except changed the cassette

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    good componets

Weaknesses:    weak frame

Bottom Line:
Don't buy. Bike's frame lifetime warranty is almost worthless. Took one year for this company to replace my frame. Thank god I kept the reciept.If you enjoy fighting for your consumer rights, enjoy. Whatever money I saved on buying this bike, I lost on frustration. Buy a name brand with a good reputation, and you will aviod my pain.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher,

Bike Setup:   xt

Submitted by bbdo a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I purchased, but then had to cancel the order and am writing about the customer service.

Bottom line is that they were EXCELLENT. The morning after my order, I already had a UPS ship notification for delivery by Friday (order placed Tuesday afternoon). I had emailed the evening of my order asking to cancel after my SO didn't entirely approve.

They were able to cancel and refund the entire purchase price within 15 minutes of my clarification email (to help find the order). No questions asked.

I am extremely impressed.

Purchased At:   BikesDirect

Submitted by lostatsea a Racer from compton, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2009

Strengths:    Bikes direct is an online bike shop. Their prices seem too good to be true. After a lot of research I decided to try out a Motobecane Fantom Team.

The specs on the bike were so good that the components alone are worth more than the $1895 price tag. So I thiught at the worst I could use the parts if I did not like the ride.

I was very surprised - this 5" travel FS bike is the real deal. Ride compares well with any high priced high zot name bike I have ever been on - and I have ridden the all.

I do not know how bikes direct does it - but I really do not care - I just know I got a great machine at less than half what a bike shop would have charged.

Weaknesses:    I changed out seat - everything else was great

Bottom Line:
You can not beat the deal on this bike - it would be a good deal at twice what I paid