Motobecane Fantom Elite DS XC Full Suspension

• SID Bar Adjust 3/4/5" Adjustable Travel RR
  • ProMax PowerLevers

Submitted by nefariousrogue a Cross Country Rider from West Palm Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    Phenomenal component build, and an amazing price behind it. Better than expected construction quality of frame and design.

Weaknesses:    Cheap cable guides cause some initial shifting problems, easy fix. Cheap gravity pedals are worthless. Do not expect any grip on platform side. Gravity hubs are a little heavy and noisy.

Bottom Line:
This is a phenomenal bike. I was a skeptic for buying a cheap bike on the web sight unseen. I asked many many questions to Bikesdirect about sizing to ensure I was ordering the correct one. After assembly and a proper tuning, I was made into a believer. The ride quality of the bike was much smoother, faster and more responsive than most bikes I had ridden in the past. Combine that with top level component build for a cheap price, the bike practically sells itself.

I waited to post a review until I had a decent amount of use with it to determine its long term durability. After almost 6 months of use, it still feels great. It is a strong and well built frame. I didn't expect a perfect tune out of the box, just enough to ride it around the driveway. You will need to take it to your LBS for a proper tune. I had a few frame bolts loose, the shifters were not set up as well as need be, and two cable guides were incorrect. I swapped out for some Ergon grips and Eggbeaters pedals (The stock Gravity ones are poor), and the bike rides great.

If you are debating buying this bike, then the answer is simple. The bike is worth every penny. Outstanding price, Outstanding component/frame, Outstanding ride.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park, Sunrise, FL

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   All stock components (Recon Gold RL Solo fork, Monarch 3 rear shock, FSA hallow crank, Avid Elixer 160mm brakes, All XT with XTR rear d.) I added Ergon GP-1 Lichtbau grips and Eggbeaters Candy 1 pedals.

Submitted by c10bfd a Cross Country Rider from savage, mn, usa

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    componentry and rider balance on all types of terrian do to the frames overall design and lightness

Weaknesses:    front and rear derailleur were no where near set up for use after the basic bike assembly

Bottom Line:
After the Motobecane was setup right by a professional bike tuner "not a weekend warrior" this bike can not only ride with bikes twice it's price, it can make them look silly. The XTR componetry can't be beat and the Reba front fork and Monarch rear shock are able to handle alot of abuse, maybe not 10 foot rock jumps but they get the job done. With the money you will over buying a name brand bike you can afford gas to go biking this summer.

Favorite Trail:   Murphy-Hanrehan

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   trek ex 7

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Telluride, Co

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Phenomenal components for the price of this bike. The bike comes set up and easy to put together out of the box - about 30 minutes. Quick, easy purchase from website. The company is easy to contact - a big worry for a person buying a bike from a website store.

Weaknesses:    I haven't really found one yet. The rear shock - a Rockshox Avia - has just an "okay" repuation - but so far I have loved it. The pedals probably will need to be switched out next season - they are a little clunky. But I use them and they work pretty well.

Bottom Line:
Listen - this bike is basically a knock-off of an Elsworth Truth full suspension mountain bike frame with top of the line components - an Elsworth with similar set up would cost you $3500+. I've ridden this bike hard for the last month on all types of trails - gnarly downhills, wicked climbs, fun and fast rollers - this bike takes it all. The remote lockouts are great for longer climbs. Shipped to altitude (8500 ft. above sea level) so I had to take the bike to the shop to bet the hydraulic brakes bled because of the pressure - but the bike shop guys raved about the bike when I picked it up and were amazed when I told them what I paid for it. Bottom line - this is a great bike at a rediculously low price when you compare it to other bikes on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Phil's World in Cortez, Co

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full-suspension bike. I previously rode a Specialized hardtail. Also have demoed some similar bikes priced $2500-3000 that were about the same with respect to components.

Bike Setup:   I have the standard set up direct from the website store - but the bike came with brake upgrades to Avid Elixer brakes rather than Avid Juicy 5s - bonus!

Submitted by matthew fort a Weekend Warrior from mattammi@sbcglobal.net

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Strengths:    The components that come on the bike for the price is unbeatable.RockShox recon 351 with pop lock, U-Turn (100mm-130mm), They are good with the small bumps and the large one. Great brakes.

Weaknesses:    Little heavy no quick release seat clamp. The stock pedals not to sure of them as yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm 100% satisfied with this bike. The product weakness are minor and upgrading is part of the fun of owning a mtn bike. This bike is exactly what I expected and there were no surprises when I purchased it online. Was reading the forms about bikesdirect hear good thing and bad things. I went for it and they came thru. Bike was here in 3 days. And was set us as they say it would be. Great price for what you get. Yea there a lot of bike better then this but so far good deal.

Favorite Trail:   any trail that get you from work

Purchased At:   bike direct

Similar Products Used:   Terk hard tail

Bike Setup:   Fork/Rear Shock RockShox Recon 351 WITH UTURN ADJUSTABLE TRAVEL (85-130MM) TurnKey LOCKOUT /Rockshox Monarch 3.3 Air with 3 Position Motion Control Platform Damping and Rebound
Crankset FSA Gamma-Drive 22/32/44T Integrated with BB spindle
Seat Post Ritchey Comp Mountain 31.6mm aluminum
Seat Post Clamp Super Light Aluminum

Submitted by dingo33 a Cross Country Rider from hoschton

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2008

Strengths:    Bombproof design and construction
value

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
The old saying,"You get what you pay for" really does not apply to this bike. The motobecane is basically a knock off of the ellsworth truth. A buddy of mine has a truth and after he let me borrow it for a weekend I quickly decided I had to have one. That is till I priced a frame at two grand! Looking at alternatives I came across the motobecane on ebay and the rest is history. After almost two thousand miles on this frame it is still going strong with very little lateral flex. I could not be happier, the ride is super plush and it still climbs like a mountain goat!

Favorite Trail:   fort yargo

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   built strong but light, under 28lbs.
Built strong but light, just under 28lbs.

Submitted by David Plummer a Weekend Warrior from Sioux Falls, SD. USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    The quality of components, and overall price of the bike compared to competitors bikes online and in the local bike shops is fabulous. With 150 miles on the bike I am very pleased with its performance. And have had ZERO regrets.

Weaknesses:    Had to rebleed the front hydraulic brakes right away due to spongyness feel, and the pedals are complete junk.

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with the bike and love the adjustability. Bikes Direct.com was also a pleasant experience, when I had to send the first bike back because the frame size was a little to large. Got full refund, and because of the positive experience I actually went from the Comp version to the elite version, and was very glad I did because the Juicy 5 brakes and the XTR rear derailer are much better than what comes on the comp version.
Great for the weekend warrior who appreciates a good value and is not hung up on Top Brand Names.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt, mud, logs, rocks.

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct.com

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M-55

Bike Setup:   Stock with Gebali rear shock and chainstay protector, Big gear bash guard, computer, 8" front rotor.

Submitted by WeekendWarrior a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Best value for the parts that this bike has...

Weaknesses:    It's weight (at 32 lbs) it's pretty much on the heavy side. will definitely need to upgrade some of the parts

Bottom Line:
The price is what really drew me into buying this bike... I couldn't find a bike that's loaded with good parts at a very affordable price. Bikesdirect price is the lowest I found.

Of course, it's heavy but it's something that can be remedied by upgrading some of the aluminum parts (ie., handle bars, stem, seatpost,etc.) to carbon fiber ones. Upgrading your parts is part of the fun...

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   custom bikes

Submitted by Adam Harris a Cross Country Rider from kansas city, mo, usa

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2007

Strengths:    this bike is loaded to the gills. I love all the stuff it comes with and very simple to maintain. You sit way back on the rear wheel so down hills are very fast and you can let the bike pull you up hills. Since you sit so far back you can really steer it in tight corners easy and let the bike work for you. The front fork lets you really dial in for long rides crank it down for technical and big drops crank it up. it totally will change your stance on the bike. the XTR will allow you to shift up hill with full peddle force and not miss a beat. the kinesis frame is solid and doesn't feel like a snake or wobbly at all for full suspention. At around 25 lbs you can't go wrong.

Weaknesses:    handle bar is for down hilling and way to heavy change it out. The peddles it comes with blow. And no seat clamp. but big freaking deal the money I saved let me get better stuff anyways. And everybody runs there own paddles anyways.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, lite, solid, responsive, great components.

Favorite Trail:   burp minor park

Purchased At:   bikedirect.com

Similar Products Used:   GT 3.0

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Bakersfield, California, USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing value. RockShox Revelation 426 with pop lock, U-Turn (100mm-130mm), and easy tuning adjustments make for an awesome fork. Frame is very strong so far for my riding style. The WTB wheel set avoids pinch flats very well which allows for slightly lower air pressure for better cornering and bump absorption. I have had no problems so far with the bike.
The components that come on the bike for the price is unbeatable. I spent many weeks searching the internet and shopping at many different bikes shops in different cities and would have had to have spent double the amount for an equivalent bike. I bought the 20 inch frame which is too small for me at 6' 4" but the value of this bike is well worth it.

Weaknesses:    Handle bars are a little narrow for my preference. A quick seat clamp release did not come with the bike. Occasionally check the pivot bolts on the rear 4 link for any loose bolts. A new handle bar and quick release seat post clamp are easy to come by. I've had to tighten the rear suspension bolts on a Specialized Enduro and Intense Spider so maybe loose pivot bolts are the norm? The rear axle sits nearly under the back of the seat which makes wheelies a breeze but steep climbs a little tougher.

Bottom Line:
Amazing deal. If you are looking for a bike around $1000 dollars but really want a $2500 dollar full suspension bike then this is your bike. I have recommended the bike to my brother and friends. Motobecane spent the money on the right components with the bike. The seat post is nothing fancy but who cares when you have five inches of quality travel and an XTR rear derailleur?
WHO SHOULD BUY? Anyone on a budget (or not for that matter) who does self shuttle cross country rides and the occasional drop off shuttle run downhill rides.

Favorite Trail:   Cannel Meadow (upper and lower)

Similar Products Used:   Kona hardtail, Specialized Hardrock, Giant AC2, Intense Spider and Specialized Enduro Pro.

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur, LX 27 Speed Pods, TripleActive 4bar Double-butted 7005SL Aluminum frame, RockShox Revelation 426 Air Uturn Fork 100-130mm with Bar Mount PopLoc, Rear Shock Ario 2.2 BarMount PopLoc Adjust 3/4/5" Adjustable Travel RR, Avid speed dial Levers, Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc brake Calipers (upgrade to 8 inch front for those 8000 foot downhill trails, WTB SpeedDisc Wheelset, TruVativ FireX Cranks/BB, Ritchey Rizer 6061T6 Bar, Ritchey Comp Stem and Seatpost, Panaracer Fire XC tires. Read the instructions on how to tune the suspension if you don't know anyone who is fluent in bike tuning. Rebound makes a huge difference. Go all the way soft and then a few clicks out for a smooth ride.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Va

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Stout welding, good looks

Weaknesses:    None yet, although I haven't been able to lock out the shock

Bottom Line:
Very happy with the purchase. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger, and the reviews here helped. Been a GF fan for years and wanted to go FS economically. Basically swapped all of my mostly XT components from the old GF. I did the initial adjustment on the shock and have been having fun riding ever since. I like the retro Motobecane lettering on the downtube. And yes, as some have said, the paint does scratch rather easily. Not a big deal to me. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs; the 20" size is a very good fit. The top tube length is 1" shorter than my GF, but hasn't made too much of a difference. Might buy a longer stem at some point. I haven't purchased the poploc for the Ario 2.R yet, but the initial testing of the lockout by turning the dial did not lock it out. Maybe I wasn't able to apply enough pressure just by twisting it, but I do recall hearing others complaining about that feature. I haven't noticed too much bob so far, so maybe the lockout won't be as critical. I would do the whole thing over again. As others have said, just because the big names come out with new designs every year doesn't mean they are better than the old designs. At all. I heard from a lbs that once big name patents expire they are duplicated by companies like Kinesis (frame builder of Motobecane). So to me that is a good thing. Also, I am confused by some of the complaints of the weight of the frame. Maybe it was more towards the bikes that were purchased whole (with cheaper components). I find the weight to be very similar to my hardtail.
As far as the ride, it's awesome. I bike commute through a park everyday and now have had two solid weeks of experience with it. I just thinks it's a great frame at a great price. Of course the quality of the components you decide to add will make a huge difference.

Favorite Trail:   buttermilk

Bike Setup:   Bought the frame and transferred all of my components from my GF Big Sur

Submitted by Jess Lozano a Weekend Warrior from Lancaster CA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Great components for the price!!! To buy a similar bike with these components would cost much more. I love the poploc feature on the Rockshox Revelation 409 fork and Ario 2.R rear shock as it makes climbing the hills much easier by virtually eliminating pedal bob (depending on how you setup your suspension and your weight, I'm about 175lbs). The bike rides smooth and handling on the singletrack is top-notch. On the downhill, the bike is solid and goes exactly where you want it to! The bike feels secure and tracks the trails exceptionally well at high speeds. The Avid BB5 disk brakes work fine. The WTB wheelset works great, though I may upgrade to a lighter wheelset in the future. Definitely a great choice for an all mtn rider looking to get away for the weekend. As mentioned, you can't beat the component specs for the price.

Weaknesses:    This bike is not the lightest and can get heavy on the climbs. The bikes weighs about 32lbs. But for the price, you won't find a lighter bike with better componenets. The stock pedals suck. I upgraded to M520's and they work great in mud, dirt, and dust (plus they cut some weight). Also, the stem, seat, seatpost, and handlebars aren't the best as they're a bit heavy. However, replacing those components is relatively low cost and they'll be upgraded soon.

Bottom Line:
First off, I'm 100% satisfied with this bike. The product weakness are minor and upgrading is part of the fun of owning a mtn bike. This bike is exactly what I expected and there were no surprises when I purchased it online. I must admit I was a little weary of buying a bike online, however, bikesdirect came through and everything arrived according to spec. This is a great bike for someone who loves to just go out have fun with friends and ride all day. The component quality is great and the bike is built solid enough to take some abuse. If you're super picky about weight and looking for a superlight cross country racer, buy the upgraded version or go somewhere else. If your looking to have fun and want a solid all mtn bike with quality components, good geometry, and excellent handling, this bike is for you.

Favorite Trail:   haven't found it yet

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   My old GT outpost trail

Bike Setup:   Rockshox revelation fork, Ario 2.R rear shock, Avid BB5 mechanical disk brakes, FireX GXP cranks, M520 pedals, XTR rear derailleur, LX front derailleur, WTB speed disc wheelset, LX shifters, Ritchey handlebar, stem, and seatpost, WTB seat.

Submitted by Carl Lieberwirth a Cross Country Rider from Carlsbad, NM.

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    looks pretty is about it. the rock shocks seem to work well and the pop feature is nice for locking the back shock for road riding

Weaknesses:    Rolls like it has square wheels. I usually set the pace with those I ride with, on this bike I cannot keep up and my friends have to circle back for me. My 6 year old specalized is amazingly easier to ride. The Motobecane actually feels like the brake is on.

Bottom Line:
If you have a child do not get him/her one of these bikes they will develop a inferiority comples trying to keep up with their friends.

This bike is poorly designed and rolls like the brakes are on full time. I am 6' 270 lbs and ride 4 days a week @ 15 to 25 miles for exercise. I actually feel guilty trying to sell this bike.

Have tried to work with Bikesdirect and have sent numerous e-mails to the factory with little response and no satisfaction.

Favorite Trail:   cross country hills excercise

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   I have an old Specalized hardrock hard tail that out rides the new Moto like it was a hotwheels.

Bike Setup:   Bikesdirect special with pop shocks and xt/xtr components.

Submitted by Joey Ketchum a Weekend Warrior from Shreveport, La.

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2007

Strengths:    For the money you can not beat the components that come with this bike! I am a BIG guy (6' 235), and the bike takes good care of me!

Weaknesses:    Would love to have a XTR front derailer!

Bottom Line:
For the money, you WILL NOT find a better deal. I ordered my bike on ebay, and it cost $1185.00. The bike arrived 3 days later. It took about 20 minutes to set up (I am a self taught bike mechanic).

Favorite Trail:   Monkey Trail

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Bike Setup:   Revelation Rock Shox front shock w/ pop lock
Ario Rock Shox rear shock w/ pop lock

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Macclenny, Fl

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Strengths:    Solid performance, great components, great price

Weaknesses:    having to explain to my friends why i bought a moto instead of a more expensive name bike with lower end components :)

Bottom Line:
I am a 280pound rider that is extremely hard on a bike. Over a year of punishment and close to 1000miles on this bike the only problem i have had was a broken chain, and that was clearly a wear issue. The bike performs great. I never liked Truvativ cranks but the drivetrain seems to be holding up well. I will be replacing it soon only becuase i want to, not because of a need. I really dislike my brakes. The bike came with avid brakes that are fine but have these crappy promax rotors that i just cant stand. I have been spoiled with hydro brakes and i will be replacing the avids one day but they do stop fine so it is hard to justify the upgrade...

THE BOTTOM LINE: zero problems with bike other than common wear and my personal preference on some stock parts. GREAT price, GREAT bike

Favorite Trail:   san felesco