Motobecane Fantom Comp DS XC Full Suspension

• ProMax PowerLevers
  • ProMax PowerDisc brakes

Submitted by Kiko a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Price
Components

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
Great full suspension bike especially for the cost, components are top notch, frame is durable and preforms well. The bike looks good for an "outdated frame", lots of complements. I would recommend this bike and company to anyone. It would of been nice to have a quick release seat but not a big deal to adjust. Overall great buy!!

Submitted by packets a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    My first experience with full suspension, hydraulic disk brakes, and clipless pedals which took about 10 rides to get adjusted/tuned and familar with. I currently have 170+ miles of singletrack on this amazing peddler and I've managed to (mostly) stay mounted and unhurt as of late. Other than a few scratches and scrapes the bike continues to be fully on demand. Me on the other hand, well, my first 10 rides found me sore, bruised, and/or bleeding while anticipating my next ride or wondering if I should ride again...at 50 I realized I don't heal/recover as quick as I once did.

Weaknesses:    None, but the rider. It’s not that I don’t have the nerve to attempt the deep dips, steep climbs, quick swoops, tight corners, long drops, and unending rocks, roots, mud, water, and dirt at speeds probably beyond me, because it’s all I want to do. This bike continues to cause me to ride dangerously above my ability and I'm lovin it! Knee and shin pads quickly became my favorite safety equipment and I don't leave the house without them! :-)

Bottom Line:
The Motobecane 2013 Fantom Comp DS is a very well made full suspension bike with solid components. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or purchase another online (http://tinyurl.com/8un82o6)

Favorite Trail:   Betts- Holly Springs, NC

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Once I got the preload correct I discovered I prefer the rear travel at 3". The 5" feels too squishy for the type of riding I do...the bikes rear travel arrived set at 4" and can be set at 3, 4, or 5 inches.

Submitted by itsadamb a Cross Country Rider from Plantation, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing bike! Granted this is my first full suspension but i've ridden some of my friends $2-3,000 Trek and Specialized bikes and can't say they feel any better than this bike. The componenets are all pretty top of the line and i did a lot of shopping at the local bike shops and nothing could compete for less than $1,800-2,000! So i took a risk after reading some of the good reviews online and must say this bike is amazing!

Weaknesses:    Non-Name brand frame but its for me and i love it!

Bottom Line:
If you dont absolutely need to have the newest and name brand products you will definitely get your money's worth out of this bike! and no... i don't work fo them! I'm just a very happy customer!

Favorite Trail:   Amelia Earhart State Park

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2011

Strengths:    Good Spec Componets for the $$

Weaknesses:    Frame snapped, Moto Company difficult to deal with. 10 months to replace frame. Fought with them every week.

Bottom Line:
Aviod this company's product. The pennies I thought I was saving by this purchase, were insignificant compared to the aggravation this bike frame caused.
Buy from a company that stands by their product, Trek, Speacilized etc, anyone but these jokers.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Tucson ,AZ

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Joshua, Speacilized Enduro Pro

Bike Setup:   LX/XT

Submitted by cactuspete1972 a Weekend Warrior from Wilmington NC

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Components

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Great bike, great components. Just a bit heavy, about 33lbs but not bad for full suspension. Has nice geometry. Price is great!

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   Proflex

Submitted by dstephens a Cross Country Rider from Logan, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    It is fairly light for a FS bike, and it is great quality for its price. Name brand parts,in RockShox and Shimano.

Weaknesses:    The Avid 3 Juicies have been awful. Light to moderate breaking at high speeds produced terrible howling (and sometimes a squeal). I had to replace with organic pads and may need a solid sweep disk later, if the howling picks up again. Less significantly, the pedals are cheap-o plastic and there is no quick release on the seat stem. Those are easy fixes; the big deal is the breaking system.

Bottom Line:
I was hesitant to buy a bike online I hadn't rode, but I have no regrets. The price is unbeatable; my LBS couldn't come close. Just make sure you know your size.

It's a good entry- or mid-level FS bike for XC. Nothing fancy, but it does the job.

The Avid 3 Juicies were extremely frustrating until I discovered the problem and got organic pads. So far, so good with the new pads.

Favorite Trail:   Jardine Juniper

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   A ho-hum Schwinn hardtail with low-end parts.

Bike Setup:   Factory spec, with new pedals.

Submitted by stewbo a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2011

Strengths:    Components especially the Shimano DynaSys 30 Speed, Frame built by same builders as brands with more advertising dollars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry).

Weaknesses:    Avid 3 brakes seem finicky at first.

Bottom Line:
I'm thrilled with my purchase. I can't believe I found such a great deal. This bike will exceed my skill for a while to come.
This bike fits my philosophy in almost all my purchases, be it cars, watches, clothing, art, food - that is look a little deeper, behind the marketing fluff, there are brands that provide a great value proposition to the consumer and those who do the research and ultimately take the risk are rewarded.

I have no hesitation in recommending motobecane to my friends, in fact, I've let them ride my bike and they agree its a pretty amazing package. I by no means a hardcore mtn biker, but I do like to ride as much as possible. Its a great deal. If you followed the link above you'll see that a lot of other manufacturers use the same Taiwanese company to build frame. If you look at the other frames there is a ridiculous amount of similarity, coincidence I think not, simply savings in mass producing a effective design. Which you, as a company, could pass on to your customers. I like my bike, as you can tell. I'd buy another one if this one was stolen. Thanks for reading. -Stewart

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Hill

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Factory spec

Submitted by jeff simmons a Cross Country Rider from woodstock, ga

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2010

Strengths:    components are top notch, light yeat sturdy. love the lockout and rebound setting on the ario 2.2.

Weaknesses:    maybe get rid of the v-brack mounts

Bottom Line:
What can u say? More bang for the buck. I'd put it up against any bike under $2500.00.

Favorite Trail:   issaqueena lake

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Bike Setup:   converted crank to single ring using original crank and race face bash guard, thompson seatpost, stem. carbon bars and deetrack wheels.

Submitted by Don Fraser a Weekend Warrior from Garden City, Mi Wayne

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2010

Strengths:    Price nothing compares, looks, equipment, easy to ride,

Weaknesses:    I could have used more info on suspension set up, but it's not that complicated, a few times out and I've got it dialed in pretty good..

Bottom Line:
This bike compares to bikes that cost more then twice as much, people are shocked to know the price I paid when they look the bike over, bike dealers don't want others to know about these bikes, some dealers get downright rude when they find out what a deal I've gotten, or just the make of the bike,LOL!! This bike ROCKS, ROllS, and just plain does what it's supposed to, trails, this bike is great for anyone that wants a good workout and a good deal, learn to do your own work on the bike, it's easy to work on, and stuff you should know.

Favorite Trail:   Potawami/Maybury

Similar Products Used:   KHS Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Ourly grips, Shimano SPD peddles, tighten all nuts and bolts regularly, Lock Tight the ones that keep loosening up, 215 lbs in the Rock Shox 3.2 for my 225 lb body, I like hard rebound, I push the bike hard downhills I'm and ex Motocrosser, I've lowered the handlebars by moving the big spacer, 30 lbs front tire 35 lbs rear, water bottle, tool bag, wax chain and wash bike after every ride.

Submitted by BoomClick a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Strengths:    Fabulous brakes, suspension and deraileurs.

Weaknesses:    No kick, but I can buy and attach my own.

Bottom Line:
This bike is so good till even if I had $9999.00 to spend on a bike, I'm sure I would still be satisfied with this one. The brakes are extremely smooth and effective and the suspension is just fabulous. I put the bike together out of the box a few days back and even without any tuning, it still rides great but I do plan to take it to the LBS to get an initial tune up. I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone that could afford $999 and I would recommend saving enough money for this model rather than settling for a cheaper model. Others have complained about both the pedals and paint, but I see absolutely no problem with either. Just buy it and enjoy the best for the price and even twice the price.

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Titan 4x4 Truck i.e. A solid product.

Bike Setup:   A Breeze

Submitted by Rick M a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Strengths:    I love it. Great frame, I now understanding what carving means. Shocks are fine and breaks work well too so far. Incredibly tight after assembling out of the box with help from a friend who works at REI. Said this came out of the box as well as anything he has seen. No rubbing or noise on initial assembly.

Weaknesses:    NONE SO FAR.
I read some stuff about the Tora Shock being heavy and the breaks not working well or rubbing. Also heard that the pedals aren't worth putting on.

These guys should have ridden my old ride. Don't know if they are snobs or whiners.

Bottom Line:
Could not have been happier with the bike or shipping from bikesdirect.com Came in great shape (boxed) in three days from order to delivery using standard shipping (UPS Ground).

Can't believe how much different riding a decent FS bike can be. I love going out on something that feels this good. Confidence and ability just keep improving.

This is a no brainer!

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   First FS bike. Rode an old Iron Horse Warrior HT, Cannondale HT.

Bike Setup:   Tora shock, Ario air 2.2, Avid Juicy 3s, Shimano SLX and XT, Lots of Ritchey, FS cranks, Gravity pedals and hubs.

Submitted by Jballer a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, Washington, United States

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    brand name parts, good travel with lockout front and rear, great price, quality bike,

Weaknesses:    needs quick release seat, pedals need to be replaced

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price hands down. i have owned this bike for around 3 months now and it has put up with all the abuse i have thrown at it. i ride cross country the most but sometimes i mess around on downhill trails. the bikes is good for small jumps and drops but nothing too extreme. i would suggest this bike to poor people like myself who want a great XC bike for cheap.

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Similar Products Used:   trek 930, specialized rockhopper,

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Guile a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2009

Strengths:    Solid frame, easy setup, great components, very adjustable, and easily upgradable at a very nice price point. Decent improvement over 2008 model despite higher price tag. Great customer service to fix their mistake.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but being the first FS for someone recently entering the sport, this doesn't concern me much. There's also some rubbing in the rear wheel hub, but only during free spinning. Garbage stock pedals and a quick release seat clamp are my only other gripes.

Bottom Line:
I had ordered the 2008 model at a clearance price of $799, but apparently BD had oversold and didn't have the product despite giving me a tracking number. They immediately offered to give me a $100 credit for any bike over $1000 or $50 towards anything less. I was quite unhappy because the next decent FS option was a $1400 bike, and I wasn't looking to spend that much to get into the sport. Fortunately, they received their 2009 comp DS just a few days later and added it to the site with a $999 price tag, and I was able to get a much better bike for only $100 more than I had originally looked to spend.

Onto the bike: Out of the box, this thing needed very few adjustments to get it working right. Although I have no bike tuning experience aside from adjusting my friend's 700DS, I was able to assemble this and tune it within an hour or so. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so that may have played a role in the ease of setup.

The wheels are pretty true, and the juicy 3's aren't rubbing at all. Time will tell on those brakes as I've read mixed reviews of their longevity and requiring constant bleeds, but they seem pretty solid out of the box. The shifting is incredibly smooth, and aside from losing my chain due to a bad shift, my first ride was pretty smooth. There was some low whine sound coming from the drive train when free spinning that I can only assume is coming from the bearings in the rear hub assembly. I'll try greasing it and hopefully that will fix it all up.

Off topic: I sprained my foot playing volleyball the day after my first ride, so I'm pretty upset I can't jump right back on. It's a very fun bike!

Purchased At:   www.bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher hard tail.

Bike Setup:   2009 model which replaced the Comp DS that was on clearance (and consequently oversold...much to my dismay).

Submitted by cgduff a Weekend Warrior from Kent, Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2009

Strengths:    Well built, duarable frame without being very heavy. Strong looking welds too. I haven't played around with the different suspension travel setting yet but having that feature is nice. I have the Fantom DS trail and would say it's more of an all mountain bike than a true XC bike (a bonus in my opinion as I can only afford one bike!).

Weaknesses:    Rear shock on my model is low spec-kindshock axis, but for the price what do you expect? In all fairness I opted for the cheaper version (coil shock rather than rock shox air shock) as I'll probably upgrade it next year anyway!

Bottom Line:
A very good intro to full sus mountain biking. I moved to the states from the UK and found all the large roots and rock gardens a pain (literally) on my hard tail. switch over and haven't looked back. If you're into the big brands and bragging rights in the pub you'll spned hundreds more for the same thing. check the geometry etc of these bikes, very, very similar to the ellsworth truth........

Purchased At:   bikeisland.com

Similar Products Used:   First full sus bike. switched my components over from my (completely upgraded) Saracen mantra.

Bike Setup:   Motobecane fantom DS trail, Kindshock (KS) Axis coil shock, Marzocchi AM1 fork, FSA v-drive crank and BB, FSA DH pro headset, hayes hydraulic brakes with 8" rotors.

Submitted by mswartz67 a Cross Country Rider from Narberth, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    Big Value for the dollars. Durable and well made. Full suspension is very nice espcailly now that I am 41. Riding for one year and no real issues. Tora Shock is good for my level of riding single track. Overall I love my bike and the 500-700 dollar savings is great. Great mid to entry level bike.

Weaknesses:    Bent a spoke about 6 months in when I had a pretty bad crash and buised my ribs. Bike is a bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
Big Value for the buck. I set out to buy a MTB because I wanted to get into the sport. I wanted as much MTB for 1000.00 or less. OVerall I searched my LBS and they could not touch anything under 1500-2000 with the same components...ie Specialized, Trek and others. I would not be afraid to purchase a bike from BD just because they are an online outfit. IF you are a littel handy you can have the bike set up in as little as an 1.5 hours or you can just take it down to the LBS and pay them to put it together. After riding it for a year I would say that it is a great Bike! I have no complaints and will buy again from them if I decide to buy a 29er or upgrade to a higher level bike.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon Gorge