Motobecane 500DS XC Full Suspension

• Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge Unit
  • Pedals Dual Steel/Resin Beartrap

Submitted by Valenciajr3 a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria VA USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Strengths:    Looks, suspension, tires and wheels.

Weaknesses:    Shifters maybe I need to get used to them. Brakes.

Bottom Line:
This bike looks amazing I definitely turn heads on the trail and in the city. My bike is white in color, I'm not crazy about the shifters they feel awkward, whenever I down shift it will lower two gears instead of one. This is also my first time having disc brakes on my bike, they work just fine however I feel as if they could be Much more powerful. I'll give it some more time. In conclusion this bike has everything a entry level dual suspension thousand dollar bike has and can do. Definitely most bang for your buck I am completely satisfied with this purchase. I do all the work on my bike so I can see this bike hitting the trail for years to come.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Vernon trail

Purchased At:   Bikes direct.com

Similar Products Used:   GT zaskar 100 carbon expert

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Sun City, Arizona, US

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    The Frame and the front shocks.

Weaknesses:    The bearings came loose and offset the whole rear end but with a 3 second ajustment everything worked like it was new

Bottom Line:
The bike is wonderfull I have only had the bearing problum but after that was ajusted it was great. It is good almost all around and is just a great bike to have

Similar Products Used:   "Wallmart" Mongoose-xr250

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2005

Strengths:    Bike feels solid, Crankset, seat, handlebars and general geometry fits well. It is a great bike to get into the entry level full suspension bike. It is a "Real bike" (Not Wal-mart) but still inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Derailleurs need upgrading, and the v-brakes have got to go. When upgraded it has a more professional feel. I would like a longer travel Fork also.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a downhill bike or a hardcore professional race bike, this is not for you. However for getting around town, riding to school, And hitting the trails for a few hours on the weekend this would be a great bike for the money. Some of the components can be upgraded as they wear out to make the bike even better.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   K2 attack, Giant AC2, Fuji Tahoe, Many hardtail bikes.

Bike Setup:   New Derailleurs Deore XT, and Shift levers, upgraded to Shimano Disk brakes, otherwise as purchased

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Helena, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2004

Strengths:    perty, light, good parts

Weaknesses:    FRENCH, rear triangle, forks

Bottom Line:
this bike never worked right from the day i bought it. every time i took it out for a ride i would have to spend hours on end fixing it. i must say in its defense when it worked it wasnt that bad. it is french after all so you cant expect too much. but the bottom line is, it is too high maintnence to be any fun. oh and i am being nice with the two flaming chillies because this bike is very flaming.

Purchased At:   eBay