Mongoose Otero Comp XC Full Suspension

4.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Otero Comp
FRAME: Mongoose Design Heat Treated Alloy Suspension, Zero Stack Headset, Disc Mounts & Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, 2.5” - 4.4” Travel
FORK/SHOCK: SR/Suntour XCM w/ Preload Adjust & Mechanical Lockout, 100mm Travel; Coilover Shock
DRIVETRAIN: 24-Speed w/ Shimano Alivio Rear & Suntour Front Derailleurs, Shimano Alivio Rapid Fire Shifters, SR/Suntour XCC150 Forged Alloy Crankset
BRAKES: ProMax Mechanical Disc, 160mm Rotors
WHEELS: Alex Double Wall Alloy Disc Rims, ProMax Alloy QR Disc Hubs, Kenda Komodo 2.1” Tires
COCKPIT: Mongoose Oversize 31.8mm Rise Bar / Mongoose Alloy Stem, Alloy Post & WTB Speed V Sport Saddle
MSRP $529

Submitted by Shaun a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2013

Strengths:    Great value for money! Handles rough fast downhill tracks with ease! Plenty of travel. Surprised by the komodo tyres! Handles loose ground well. Awesome steering! Mechanical lockout is simple and easy to use! Picked it up for AUS$250.

Weaknesses:    Forks are average - Recoil is off putting! Derailleurs - Sloppy and gears skip after jumps!

Bottom Line:
I think that for the price pay and the amount of bike you get its hard to complain about anything! First upgrades I'd suggest would be the forks and the rear derailleur. The recoil from the fork is rough and loose. It needs a damper to bring it back comfortably instead of bouncing back with a knock. The derailleur is loose and allows the gears to skip after a jump. Look at upgrading to something with a stronger spring in it.
Other than that I rate this bike highly. Mongoose doesn't generally have a great history I mountain bikes but this really does turn the tables. If you looking at getting into the sport then this would be a good bike to do that (providing you have a bit of riding ability!) Got mine for AUS $250 SECOND HAND. It was ridden 4 times in its life! I've had it on some pretty rough tracks and it does all I ask of it. Looking at upgrading the derailleur soon. You won't regret the buy!

Submitted by jose

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2012

Strengths:    For the price of the bike the suspension can handle the trail here in NV

Weaknesses:    The hand grips are thin and small. I up graded to some thick one

Bottom Line:
I got this bike back in 2008 its my first major bike purshes and I been riding on roads and trails. I love how this bike handles the change to on and off road

Duration Product Used:   2Hrs

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by timg a Racer from united kingdom

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    awesome steering ,great rear suspension, mega value for money, switchable from x.c bike to trail bike 95mm to 120mm via a quick release, climbs well. travel.Full length gear cable.

Weaknesses:    weight in stock trim, though I have droped 7lbs from my bike very easily

Bottom Line:
Very versitile bike run it at 120mm or like me at 95mm rear travel, no need to use lock out the floating suspension is that good, Just came from a scandium framed fox r.p equiped Hei Hei 100 and this seems as good if not better so far

Favorite Trail:   jungle run

Purchased At:   stourport cycles

Similar Products Used:   3x Specialized s works Epics, Intense Spider,Kona Hei Hei 100,Specialized Myka FSR, MSC Concept 80mm,FRM H.P10

Bike Setup:   Fox float r100mm forks, Schwalbe Dirty Dan tyres,Stans no tubes, 2x9 Crankset

Submitted by brhock a Weekend Warrior from Orlando,fl,USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    great components

Weaknesses:    unfortunatly people look down on the name

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for the price the msrp on this bike is 650 i got it for 350 on nashbar its got sram x-4 shifters and rear derailleur along with tektro mechnical 160mm disk brakes, a 100mm travel sr suntour xcm v2 front fork and a kind shock coil/oil dampened rear shock. When i first bought this bike i was slightly detered by the name i had always associated mongoose with walmart. but dont let the name fool you on this bike. Pacific cycle owns mongoose and in my opinion they are idiots for making the lower end mongooses under the same name because mongoose makes 2500 dollar bikes. This bike is the enrty level into their top end bikes and should be recognized as a good entry level mountain bike. Overall i have put this bike through its paces i am an avid trail rider and yes its not a 1500 dollar trek equiped with fox floats or anything like that but if yuo are looking to get into a GOOD full suspension bike that can handle some crazy trails then this bikes for you. just do yourself a favor dont pay full price.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3900, Trek 3700, K2 crush

Submitted by Bodjie a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles,Ca.USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    Very reliable,great handling and dependable bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Good for weekend trails in the mtn.

Favorite Trail:   Sta.Monica

Purchased At:   Safety Cycle

Submitted by NYMTBer a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2008

Strengths:    I just got into mountain biking and couldnt afford an expensive bike at the current time. I chose the Otero COmp because of the price. I took it out to a few mountain trails and needed more travel on the front fork because it bottom out on some small jumps. I upgraded the fork to a ROckShox Tora and its a perfect bike for me. Not sure if it can handle a Diablo Park tough trail but it would be a fine bike for anyone new to mountain biking on a limited budget who can improve the bike over time. I havent had anything break on it yet.

Weaknesses:    Front fork needs more travel or needs to be harder.

Bottom Line:
If you can get it for under $500 and want to start mountain biking, its a decent bike. I dont weigh more than 150 lbs so I dont know how it will handle a larger rider but this is fine for me.

Favorite Trail:   Highpoint

Bike Setup:   RockShox Tora front Fork
Panaracer Tires

Otero Comp – What upgrades to get for $500?

Hi there, and thanks for a fantastic resource! I've got a completely stock Mongoose Otero Pro '09, and I'm planning on using about $500 on upgrades. I mostly ride modest DH and XC. The first thing I want to swap out is the brakes. The mechanical stock brakes definitely doesn't have the stoppin ... Read More »

Anyone out there ride a Mongoose Otero Comp Bike 07

Any One tried this bike for a spin. For less than $700.00 with HD brake and adjustable travel on rear from 2.5 inches to 4.4 inches and most of all 32 pounds stock this is a killer deal for starting a summer XC bike any one... [url]www.mongoose.com[/url]Read More »

Mongoose Amasa Comp or Otero Elite

Hi there I'm trying to decide between a Mongoose Otero Elite, and a Mongoose Amasa Comp. Reason why I'm only looking at these two bikes is that I can get a 50% discount in a local Mongoose store. And they seem´d like the best bikes for my pricerange. My quesion in short: Would you recommend ... Read More »