Mongoose Canaan Team XC Full Suspension

• Headset: FSA IS-2 integrated
  • Seat Post: Kore I-Beam Elite Carbon, 27.2 mm

Submitted by Superpilot a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2010

Strengths:    Light for the pricepoint, exellent parts spec, nice xc set up, easy to set up, nice landings on jumps, easy to hop/jump, great rolling wheels. Feels like more than 100mm travel.

Weaknesses:    Can't get it much lighter, it already has all of the carbon bling possible (good and bad). Roughly 25 LBS. Not heavy considering the price point. Squeaking rear bearings. Front end lifts on some steeper climbs due to rearward weight displacement.

Bottom Line:
This thing was one of my favorite rides. This was a backup my friend had for his Yeti, and I rode both and like this one MUCH better. The weight bias is rearward making it easy to hop over logs and such, and making descents blisteringly fast, especially considering it's 100mm travel. The long top tube suited me well, at 5'7" it stretched me out and put me in an aggressive XC position allowing me to move my weight around fore and aft easily. Ride any bike before you buy. He didn't like this thing so I ended up riding it all the time, and I didn't like his Yeti AS-R. Great parts spec and the wheels are feather light, but probably not for heavier riders as I had to reposition the stem after a spill once and the wheel flexed considerably between my legs(rode @ 140lbs). Great bike in my opinion, and an even greater value, but obviously some people had problems with frame failure (not sure if this one did, it was a 2010). Don't be a name snob, ride what you like. 4 on overall due to frame reputation, but I had no problem in 2 months of riding.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Yeti AS-R, '07 Stumpjumper FSR. 06 Spec Epic.

Bike Setup:   FSA Carbon cranks and riser handlebar, SID Team fork, Sram X-9, Kenda Kharma up front, SB8 in the rear both tubeless. Stans Olympic rims.

Submitted by crummy a Cross Country Rider from NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2008

Strengths:    The choice of components, RLC fork, stans rims, ringle hubs, top of the line avid brakes, cnt bar and post. Rides well

Weaknesses:    The frame, inspection on purchase discovered sections of the frame not welded to a high standard. The frame failed at seat tube to top tube weld. The seat tube cracked from the weld to half way round the tube, it then followed the tube grain down the seat tube to as far as the seat post was fitted (approx. 170mm, well within the seat post limit). Basicly the seat moved in a rearward direction towards the rear wheel, the pivot point being at the bottem of the seat post, taking the seat post clamp and a section of the seat tube with it.

Bottom Line:
The bike performed very well for the period prior to the failure. Unfortunatly this period was not as long as I had wished for (3-5yrs). If you hear an unusual creaking sound (not the BB creak, etc, etc) inspect your bike further, it creaked for the hour or so prior failure during an enduro ride. Realisticly the bike has the potential to be the best value for money enduro/xc duelly out there, just keep an eye on the frame.

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS

Bike Setup:   Shimano pedals, stans valve and ust tyres.

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from golden co

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    great xc setup overall, awesome groupo.

Weaknesses:    fox inertia valve is great concept but needs to be refined. Biggest issue is the rear shock mount bracket on the down tube has started cracking around the weld in a little over a year, so keep an eye on yours. This one is heading to waranty.

Bottom Line:
Was very happy with the bike, tight on the ups and hooks up very well for a XC bike on hte down. Rides very light. I hope I'm be happy after Mongoose fixes the problem.

Favorite Trail:   west mag

Bike Setup:   stock but without the Kenda bologna skin tires and crank bros pedals.

Submitted by Nicholas Clark a Racer from Brisbane, QLD

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2008

Strengths:    High Spec'd components that are trustworthy and reliable. Good light wheel set. Very light bike overall.

Weaknesses:    Rear triangle is quite small due to geometry of the shock linkage. This provides little bob etc but it is NOT very stiff as a result. The linkage setup also means that, out of the saddle, the bike rides pretty much like a hardtail. that is, the suspension is only really active when in the saddle. Some like this, some don't. I think it makes the perfect enduro/24hr bike so pro/con I leave it to you.

Bottom Line:
Great Enduro bike and best bang for the buck out there. You want value for money and are not worried about the posers and there carbon this and big brand that then this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   gap creek