Merlin 4.0 XC Full Suspension

The Works 4.0 is the culmination of intense research and testing to find the ultimate XC bike. Built around durable Merlin titanium MTS front triangle and matched with an ICT four bar link suspension system from Ellsworth are guaranteed a plush, proven ride quality. The Works 4.0 offers a performance partnership never seen in a titanium full suspension bicycle.

Submitted by leandro valderrama a Weekend Warrior from Iloilo, Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Strengths:    Super light, fast, plush, very comfortable if you set it up right. To all Iloilo bikers (mountain bike or road bike), if you want to properly set up your bike, Master class bike mechanic Jimmy Ng can do if for you at value shop.

Weaknesses:    none for now...

Bottom Line:
Quite expensive but a very nice bike if you can afford it.

Favorite Trail:   Guimaras Island

Purchased At:   value shop

Similar Products Used:   khs 604

Bike Setup:   groupset xtr / seat post thomson masterpiece / tires climax lite / headset chris king / handlebar, stem fsa / rim mavic 717 / seat wtb / supension fox, R7 / grip specialize / pedals welgo

Submitted by the_pilot a Weekend Warrior from Leicestershire, UK

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2009

Strengths:    Beautifully made, light, supple suspension, great traction, lively feel

Weaknesses:    A little flex in the rear triangle, fiddly rear mexh cable routing

Bottom Line:
Really love it, I wanted a short travel light susser after my S-works enduro. which was too far away from a hardtail for me, it just flatenned the trail, I needed something that felt more like a comfy hardtail for all day use, but also Ti for the feel but more for the longevity.
The ICT suspension system is very low energy loss and provides great climbing traction, the bike builds up light and is very fast XC, just what I wanted. I wouldn't have paid the list price, but I got it for less than a new alloy Truth in perfect condition so well worth it for a bike for life. I ride a hardtail for the rough stuff (On One Ti456) so I am a bit weird. I managed to speak to the other guy on here from the UK, it convinced me to get one and his review was spot on.

Favorite Trail:   dalby Forest

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale prophet, specialized epic, Specialized s-works Enduro

Bike Setup:   Magura Durin Race 100 forks, X-0 rear mech, X-0 gripshift, magura marta SL, Royce hubs on XR4.1 tubeless rims, EC70 Carbon bars, Thomson X4 stem, SDG I -beam & formula fx post/saddle, XT front mech, Middleburn RS8 cranks, hardcoat rings and SKFBXC600 BB, xtr SPDs

Submitted by Scott Bays a Cross Country Rider from Moncks Corner, SC

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    sweet ride

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
Follow-up to post 8 months ago. As you can read below, got this bike because they could not make a Niota Ti for me that would not break (tried 4 of them). This is a very sweet ride until it too broke on the seat tube just below the lower support. I just don't understand it, I'm not over weight at 6'3" 195lbs. Guess I just can't ride a ti full suspension. Still waiting to see what they are going to do at American Bicycle Group.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn, AL

Purchased At:   warranty

Similar Products Used:   niota ti

Bike Setup:   xtr, crossmax, thompson

Submitted by Scott Bays a Cross Country Rider from Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2007

Strengths:    Buttery smooth, climbs well, decends even better, Ellsworth rear end

Weaknesses:    So far none except cost, but I guess you get what yo pay for

Bottom Line:
After my Niota frame broke 4 times, and extreme haggling with american bicycle group (shame on you guys), they finally gave me the Works and it rides even sweeter than my Niota did (and it was a sweet ride). I'm reviewing only the bike here and not ABG (parent co. of Merlin and Litespeed), so in my opinion buy the bike but beware the company. Just hope the Works holds up.

Favorite Trail:   Kokopelli porcupine rim

Similar Products Used:   Niota Ti, Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   Crossmax, Thompson, XTR, Fox 100

Submitted by James Kenningham a Cross Country Rider from North Wales

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    It's a Merlin so it's beautifully built (particularly the front triangle), and should be extremely long lasting (the front triangle at least). Very supple suspension action, which feels particularly helpful on steep rocky climbs where you can just sit and spin. Good down hill too, but with only 100 mm on offer one still needs to come off the saddle on really rocky descents. Good mud clearance. No squeaks or rattles yet, but I have only used it for one week (albeit a very tough, wet, muddy week in the Lake District).

Weaknesses:    I must admit that some of the things I've heard on here & elsewhere about Ellsworth (who make the aluminium back end) did make me think twice about buying this bike. But Andy at Alf Jones' Cycles knows me well & reassured me that with my history of not breaking bikes I'd be unlikely to have any worries with this one.

The only significant disappointment I've had relates to the way the back end was assembled. None of the (aluminium) bolts had any grease on the shafts or heads, & no threadlock on the threads. Completely unacceptable on a bike of this price on sale in the (wet & muddy) UK. The Merlin website contains no advice regarding maintenance of the pivots, torque settings for the bolts, or shock set up. The Ellsworth website is slightly more helpful. I have tried to raise this with Merlin in the US via email, but have not had a reply. I spoke to a chap called Simon Styles on the 'phone in the UK earlier this week, but have still not received any useful information.

Not a big fan of their new decals. I like the old discreet white ones.

Bottom Line:
I love the ride & quality of the welding. Yes it's expensive, but I've long been a big fan of all things Merlin & Ti. You just can't beat the longevity of a good quality Ti frame. My 10 year old Merlin Taiga spent many weeks in the Alps, banging on the side of a chairlift on the way up, with never a dent & only the odd slight scratch. Bit disappointed with the short comings in the way the back end was assembled, the lack of information from Merlin & their customer support so far. And that's coming from a guy who has bought 3 of their bikes!

If anyone at Merlin is reading, please get in touch.

Favorite Trail:   Crested Bute 401

Purchased At:   Alf Jones' Cycles, Wrexham

Similar Products Used:   I don't have a great deal of experience with full suspension. Did try an Orange 5 in Glentress last year. Thought it was good, but the Merlin 4.0 is much more supple, especially on uphills or when breaking - I guess it's just a single pivot vs true-4-bar thing.

I've had a Merlin Taiga since 1997 and loved it. Prior to that had an Orange P7 and Saracen Kili Flyer Comp.

Also have a Merlin Extralight road bike.

Bike Setup:   18.75" Works 4.0 frame with Fox Float. Fox F100RLC. Chris King headset. Royce Ti BB. FSA Afterburner cranks with Raceface rings. Thompson stem & post. Easton Carbon Monkey riser bar. WTB Ti saddle. Magura Marta discs. XTR pedals, cables, shifters, derailleurs & Ti cassette. Hope hubs. DT rims & spokes. Panaracer Fire XC tires. Weight approx 27 lbs.

New Halo Nanuk 4.0 tyres - thoughts?

New 4.0 tyres from Halo in two versions. Pretty light and affordable: [url=http://www.halowheels.com/products/part/TYHANF64K]Nanuk Tyres | Fatbike | Tyres | Products | Halowheels.com[/url] Any thoughts on the tread pattern from the experts? Is this really suited for mud? [url]http://www.halow ... Read More »

4.8 front- 4.0 rear

Anyone running this combination? Looks like 4.0 is the biggest for chinese IP010 170mm frames. I already have HuskerDu for the rear, now I have to choose front tire. Dillinger 5.0, another Husker 4.0, Van Helga 4.0... I can also choose between Surly tires, perhaps Nate/Bud for trail riding? I expect ... Read More »

24 X 2.4/3.0 tubes for ghetto tubeless...where?

Lots of discussion has been posted on the success of ghetto tubeless to Weinmann HL-80 rims with 24x 2.4-3.0 tubes but does anyone have a reliable source from where to get them (schrader valves preferred) that isn't overseas? I wouldn't mind settling with a slightly smaller tube if it works to the B ... Read More »

Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 Fat Tire Bicycle

[QUOTE=rotaidalg;11401666]...BTW, saw this advertised in Ebay - the Kawasaki (Sumo) fat-tire bike. Comes as a 21-speed w/magarange freewheel, etc... [B]For that kind of money I'd see a better buy in the BikesDirect offerings(?)[/B] (real aluminum frames (the Kawasaki looks suspiciously like the "al ... Read More »

Kenda 4.0 and 4.5

Took a quick look and didn't see anything else posted about these so here you go. At the World Cup in Windham last weekend at the Kenda booth right out in the front and center of the tent were two new fat tires. I was in a rush and didn't get pics but did get some details. High thread count and ... Read More »