Marin Rift Zone XC Full Suspension

4.74/5 (31 Reviews)

Submitted by keithouli

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    build quality, reliability, looks

Weaknesses:    have not had any issues

Bottom Line:
only thing i changed on the bike when i bought it new in 2000 was to replace the forks with PACE EVO and shimano spd's
Have ridden approx 4000 miles , only failure in this time was bottom bracket changed once. Still on original headset (still good) . Rear suspension swivel is guaranteed for life and has given absolutely no issue.
Lacquered finish is still looking good with only a few whitish marks and when contacting Marin about these they said it was nothing to worry about, this was app. 6 years ago
Would recommend highly .

Submitted by pulpwoody a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Strengths:    Great price. Lots of room for big tires, can fit 650b wheels.

Weaknesses:    Back end is very flexy, suspension sucks up the pedal strokes.

Bottom Line:
This was my first f/s bike, so I didn't really have a reference point. I got a great deal on it, and it fit me pretty well, so I got it. As the years went on, and as I started to understand bikes a bit more, the little weaknesses started showing. The big one was the back wheel flex. I think this was more a symptom of the hub and wheel set up rather than the frame, but the wheel flexed a TON. This was remedied, but not fixed, by going with a 10mm qr in the back. I felt like the suspension sucked up my pedal strokes. I tried to stiffen up the shock to compensate, but that just made the downhills too stiff. I felt the handling was a bit slow and on the steep climbing, the bike would get away from me and wander off. I rocked the bikes for almost three and half years, and did pretty well with it, so this is a bike/rider relationship. I was able to conquer some crazy technical and steep hill on this thing, and I used and abused it, until I eventually broke it. Marin was great with the warranty and sent me a brand new Mount Vision frame and fork!!! Great warranty department, but I'm selling the frame to go 29. This was a great intro to the full suspension world for sure, and I have no regrets about getting this bike. I beat the holy hell out of it, and it lasted as long as it could. Good beginner bike.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   The Hub

Similar Products Used:   ridden lost of bikes

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. XT rear derailleur, fat tires.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from U.K

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2008

Strengths:    Fast. Nimble. Great climber. Stiff rear end. Quick and responsive steering. Controlled but fun.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket height. Had a few issues with my Fox Forks but all Fox are not made equally. Also had to get my rear shock rebuilt as it packed down but Fox are famous for this.

Bottom Line:
Mine is the last of the good ones a 2006 model.
Great climber and nimble, fast and fun to ride. Guess you gotta decide is it fast XC/allmountain.... or Freeride that you want. The new shape is freeride in my books and I have'nt liked the ones I've ridden. But that's my taste.
Interesting though.....Marin are bringing out the "Alchemist" FSR. A 100mm fast XC bike. Kinda makes you think don't it!

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Bike Setup:   Changed the Fox Forks for RockShox Reba Race.

Submitted by Boneman a Cross Country Rider from Gardiner, Maine USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    The new, improved suspension design and the geometry. This review is for a 2007, the first model year of the "new" quad suspension design. I got a smokin deal 'cause it was a holdover from last year, and its pink!

Weaknesses:    Sizing; being 5 10, I fit right between the medium and large, and went with the medium. They should have made the large a little smaller, and made a bigger, XL size. I believe Marin did this in the 2008 model year.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A SMOKIN' RIDE!
The new suspension design (2007) is much better and worth the upgrade over the previous (post 2007) model. The extra inch of travel allows you to handle anything a mountain trail will give you, and the new suspension design has gotten rid of just about all "brake jack", my only issue with the previous Marin suspension design. The new frame design also has a slightly slacker head angle; climbing was not effected, but it handles the descents much better.
I don't know what the others are talking about, the 2007 suspension is quite an upgrade from the previous, which I will admit was a great design (I rode it and loved it for over 3 years). However, after my first ride on the new design, I had no problem with selling my old one.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt, roots, rocks!

Similar Products Used:   2004 Marin rift zone, have demo'd trek full sus.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except upgraded to XT shifters, Juicy 7s, thompson stem and titec carbon bar (had the parts already, stock parts really didn't need upgrading)

Submitted by ade marko a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    Great light XC - awesome on climbs and stable on descents, a good allround reponsive XC bike. 2006 model

Weaknesses:    Had issues with standard truvativ cranks, the bolt that fastens the crank arm kept unwinding even with use of lock tight, did notice this as a criticism of the crank on other forums, so replaced with XT hollowtech II crank set, Also rear WTB hub would not hold together properly and would cause rear gears to skip, so again replaced with XT. This could have been my fault as took the bike on downdhill course for a week in Morzine, too light and diffently not made for that sort of abuse.

Bottom Line:
great light XC, makes climbs easy and gives the control for the downhill,

Few parts wore out earlier than i would have thought but to be expected over time epecially if abuse the bike a bit.

Submitted by Ted Williamson a Weekend Warrior from Manchester

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    Fast up and down. Nimble and great feel to the bike. Good components. A blast to ride.

Weaknesses:    Can get chips on paint work. Cable routing could be better.

Bottom Line:
Yes its all true .. The 2006 model is the best R.Zone that Marin have ever made. Finally got it right with good stiff rear and real climbimg ability. Fast and nimble handling make this bike great fun on the descents too. Great componentry finishes a great value package.

Favorite Trail:   Kirroughtree black Craig

Bike Setup:   2006 stock.

Submitted by Tom Thumb a Weekend Warrior from Manchester U.K

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2008

Strengths:    Got to emphasise this is for Quad Link 2006!!!!
Fast. Light..very responsive..great handling....climbs like a gazelle. Good V.F.M. Good kit. A real blast to ride. An excellent XC and light Freeride bike.

Weaknesses:    Slightly high BB.

Bottom Line:
Great bike.- Got to emphasise this is fot Quad Link 2006!!!!
Very light and really responsive handling. A great all-round bike. Superb at climbing and it really flies. Controlled quick descending. Good kit and it inspires confidence. If you are less skilled, and want or need a bike to ride at things, rather than ride your way through them... then you are better getting the newer heavier 2007/8 "Freeride" type bike.|But the 2006 is a real thrill to burn around the trails and it has the lightness to feel very responsive.

Favorite Trail:   Grizedale Forest

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge, UK

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Firstly and most importantly the frame geometry is superb, a little high to get used to at first but now when I get back on my Hardtail it seems to be on the floor! The high front end gives you confidence when tackling more technical downhill sections, while the slightly higher Bottom Bracket means you may have your saddle a little higher than usual as well. The Fox F100R Forks and the Float Rear Shox are both smooth and require very little setting up (You will need a Fox Pump to set the sag). If you are looking for a full-on Downhill bike then the travel available may well be too little but this is not a downhill bike it's a X-Country bike that can handle the descents! The rear shox show very little sign of bobbing while climbing (it feels like a Hardtail) and performs extremely well on the descents. The rear triangle makes little to no noise when hitting the rough stuff and so far I have not felt any bottoming out of the shox or any inkling that it is out of its depth! The Juicy 5 brakes are the first disc brakes I’ve had (although I have ridden with discs before) once bedded in they are extremely powerful and responsive. As for the rest of it; the finishing kit (Mostly FSA) / the wheelset (Mavics) and the Groupset (mostly Deore/LX) it is all high quality stuff and for the money I think Marin have kept very good attention to detail. Obviously the Frame and Forks are the most important thing but at this price it’s nice to see finishing kit that you like. So where have I tested this then? Well if you know Cambridge, UK at all well you will know its pretty flat (although I have taken the bike for a play in any chalk pit/bombhole I can find! It has also been to Cwmcarn Wales which is probably a much better test as it puts the bike through high climbs with fast and sometimes technical downhill. The only other thing to add is that the bike looks absolutely stunning is only marginally heavier than my whippet of a hardtail and all in all i'm very pleased with my purchase.

Weaknesses:    During the couple of month’s ownership of the bike it has become extremely obvious that the paint chips extremely easily! I must admit I’ve come off it twice but both falls were silly fairly low speed falls and shouldn’t have been high damage! I have had some problems with the front brake rubbing after removal of the wheel (it seems to need adjusting every time I remove the wheel) although this might be me not being used to Disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
For a go anywhere all day riding bike you can't go wrong with the 2006 Rift Zone! It climbs as well as it descends and there seems to be very little penalty for me to go from a hardtail to a full susser. If you want to ride downhill’s all day long and are not really bothered by weight etc there are other bikes for you but for the X-Country/Trail user this bike makes a lot of sense!

Favorite Trail:   Coed y Brenin

Purchased At:   Pauls Cycles

Similar Products Used:   TREK 8900 (1999 Spec) Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock. Both Forks and Shox are set up according to the manual and the set up is easy to deal with.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    Fast, light, great full suspension bike. Great components, climbs great, descends wonderfully.

Bottom Line:
Moved from Hardtail to full, and this is just as fast and light. Love the bike. I can't believe anyone would go wrong with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge

Purchased At:   Bike Connection

Bike Setup:   Fox front and rear, XT rear, Deore front, generally stock. 2005 model, brand new.

Submitted by Mick Lucas a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    Very fast and nimble with a solid frame that's stiff and responsive. Great components and I got a discount for the 2006 model

Bottom Line:
Again this is for the 2006 model.....and again, at the risk of being boring, I also have demoed the new shape 2007 model and was not impressed.
This 2006 model is great for fast XC and all mountain. It can handle more than just XC and is argueably the best and stiffest frame that Marin has made. There are interesting little gussets in different places and a slightly different swingarm from the earlier models, also the geometry is tweaked to give faster and more positive steering I think. The rear shock is a Fox R propedal and has a bigger air chamber than it used to have which helps to provide a more linear performance and of course propedal and 4 bar linkage makes the bike climb like a gazelle. Fast single track it will simply eat up and basically it is a great all-rounder. Component choice is carefully thought out and very good. I got this on sale as it is a 2006 model and that is fantastic value for money for so much bike. ( what a classic vintage!)I really can't say enough about it because I am so impressed.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   ATB Sales Ltd

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Norco, Mountain Cycle, Turner and Ellsworth and Marin.

Bike Setup:   Stock except changed brkes for Formula Oro.

Submitted by Gud a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    Quick. Light. Good mix of components. responsive. Fast steering. Great at climbing. Exciting ride. Good riding position. V.Good balance and engaging

Bottom Line:
Again need to add my voice to the list.
This review is for the 2006 model.
I tried the 2007 model in ths rift zone and the mount vision but had too many reservations concerning weight, handling and my heels catching on the very wide stays.
This 2006 rift zone is an extremely good and very fast XC steed. Handling is fast and accurate. The component mix is very good and with a very good balanced suspension. The Pro-pedal rear shock makes climbing amazingly good for a full suspension bike and works well on the tricky descents too. basically this is a bike that I can feel a part of and it is exciting to ride and that's what it's all about!

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   As it came.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2007

Strengths:    This is the 2006 Model
Super fast. Good and light. Great climbing machine. Good fast descender. Very Nimble. Nice components. V.Good rear shock. Well balanced.

Bottom Line:
Fast and nimble bike that is a real blast to ride.
Got to emphasise that we are talkin 2006 here....the 2007 is a dog. This here is very quick on the climbs and the steering is point and shoot. Goes down as fast as it goes up. Got to remember this is a fast XC/light All Mountain so its 4" of travel but thats plenty for an experienced rider. This is like they say the best yet. Real shame the frame has changed from 2007 'cos this has got the best xc suss frame Marin have ever made. Outstanding!

Favorite Trail:   Dans Trail

Similar Products Used:   1998 Rift Zone, 2002 Rift Zone, Spec FSR M4, Whyte J4, Trek Fuel 7, Kone Kikapu Deluxe.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Colin Marsdon from U.K

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent Xc bike, compliant suspension but with Excellent climbing ability. Good geometry and quick handling. Good spec, stiff and really engages you with the ride. It's an exzciting bike to ride.

Weaknesses:    None..... this bike vintage the best QL that Marin have made

Bottom Line:
This is the best XC vintage that Marin have made.
I have had to put down my feelings about this bike because Marin have really sorted out all the teething problems and come up with a cracker! The shame of it is that having finally got it totally sorted, some bright spark at Marin has decided to change the whole design for 2007....and what a disappointment that has turned out to be for anyone who wants fast cross-country!

Favorite Trail:   Kirroughtree

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Colin Mansley a Cross Country Rider from Manchester U.K

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    Very light and fast. Great at climbing. Better pro-pedal rear shock and good forks (although I prefer Marzocchi). Steering is responsive and the bike has a real Zing to it. Good value. Excellent frame and life time frame and bearings warranty, which is worth a lot to me.

Bottom Line:
This 2006 model is an excellent XC racer or enduro bike that can also be used for some freeride nad general trail duties. It is fast and versatile. It is light and that makes it a blast to ride. It will climb very well, unlike many of the 5-6" Freeride carthorses, and as such leaves the rider with plenty of energy to enjoy the downhill sections. It is exhilarating on fast sweeping singletrack. This 2006 is the best XC model that Marin have made, with small attention to detail adjustments that just tweaks the performance a shade to enhance the already smooth and swish perfromance further. Very Impressed!

Favorite Trail:   Ae

Purchased At:   Leisure lakes

Similar Products Used:   Marin 2007 (demoed) Rift Zone 2004 and 2001, Giant Trance, Gt I-Drive, Spec FSR, Ellsworth Truth, Turner 5 Spot.

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from Formula Oro Bianco 180x160mm brakes.

Submitted by Ming the Mercyless a Weekend Warrior from Oregon, U.S

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Strengths:    Fast, Quick responses, Superb climber, Stable descender, Completed sorted geometry and stiff rear end, exciting to ride.

Bottom Line:
Mine is also the 2006 model and I have to agree that this is the most sorted and very best of the Marin quad-link designs. Stiffer rear end and better pro-pedal shock gets the best out of the suspension and it really is one of the best full suspension cross-country rigs out there. Some clever little gussets have stiffened the frame in different places and the forks, together with the whole package for me is brilliant. Just a point...I also have tried the new shape 2007 model and it is much heavier/chunkier bike, less nimble and more a Freeriders bike than a sorted and fast XC bike like this one!

Seatpost diameter for 2012 Rift Zone 29er

My seatpost/saddle "disappeared" (I left it behind when packing up at a trailhead and when I returned it was no where to be found). I never noticed what the post diameter is (I haven't had the bike very long) and now that I need another I need that info. 31.6 would have been my guess, but when I m ... Read More »

Thoughts on a 2013 Marin Rift zone 29er ?

Hi everyone, I've been asking input on a anthem X recently but one of my friend that owns a bike shop showed me a Marin rift zone 29er XC Pro, their top of the line 29er full suspension XC bike: [url=http://www.marinbikes.com/2013/bike_specs.php?serialnum=2036&Rift_Zone_29er_XC_Pro]MARIN BIKES  | ... Read More »

Fun Morning Flow on the Marin XC 7 Rift Zone 29'r

Morning Flow on the 29'ER! [IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/4roq3d.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2qvqo1v.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/345j8uq.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/102qgrt.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/21ahkq1.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.co ... Read More »

Rift Zone 29"R

Yehaw!!! [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/18ytjc.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/5wkmcy.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2cxhs08.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

marin rift zone xc6 2011