Marin Mount Vision 5.9 XC Full Suspension

• Saddles: WTB Devo Team with Nicro Tubular Rails
  • SeatPost: Thomson Elite, 30.9mm X 400mm

Submitted by Tomek a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Great climber, suspension adjustable over a wide range, great lateral stiffness of the rear triangle due to the quad-link

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket a bit high making the overall center of gravity higher than I'd like

Bottom Line:
I wanted to upgrade my ride to a modern full suspension but didn't want to spend more than what I spent on my car :) I bought this frame on Ebay, paired it up with Manitou Minute Pro shock ( $350, eat your heart out Fox! ) and a combination of some new and used components from my old bike. It ended up costing me around $1500 total. I was really surprised how well this frame performs. It climbs great, nicely soaks up the bumps, and can be adjusted over a very wide range including Pro Pedal that actually does something. Due to heavy duty struts in the Quad Link the rear triangle is very stiff laterally allowing great cornering and precise steering. I couldn't be happier! My only complaint is that the bottom bracket on this frame is a bit high. I originally used 2.3 tires but that elevated the seat so high that I kept on getting vertigo. When I swapped the rear tire to 2.1 this became a non-issue but I still would like the option of using larger tires without feeling like I'm driving a monster truck. But overall this is a great ride.

Favorite Trail:   Trails around Auburn, CA and Sierra Nevada

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   5.9 Marin frame, Manitou Minute Pro shock, Race Face cranks and a combination of SRAM and Shimano

Marin Mount Vision 5.9 2010 on the Shore