Marin East Peak 5.6 XC Full Suspension

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)
MSRP : $1949.99

• 6061 Aluminum Hydro Edge II Top and Down Tubes, Double Butted E4 Anti-Flex Seat & Chain Stays Frame
  • Rock Shox Recon Silver Solo Air, 120mm Travel Fork
  • Rock Shox Monarch RL with Lockout and Rebound Adjustment Rear Shock
  • Tektro Draco 2 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
  • Alex SX44 Rims
  • Continental X-King, 26” x 2.2" Tires

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth bike! I've used this bike for trail riding, and I even used it on a 36 mile ride through Baltimore City! I trust I was more comfortable on they streets than the guys on road bikes - and yea I got passed on the hills - didn't hurt my pride :) The Deore shifters are fantastic, the gearing is great for climbs! The brakes are fantastic - although with my weight, I'm burning through pads! I'll choose hydraulic brakes over all from now on.

Weaknesses:    The seat is pretty terrible - I've replaced that already. The grips weren't bad, but were uncomfortable for me, so I ditched those as well. The bigger issue was the rear shock. I weigh 230lbs - that shock cannot hold that weight. I sold it on eBay and replaced it with a Fox Vanilla R coil with a 950lb spring. I actually recovered those costs with the sale of the original shock and made $$. The fork is the next thing to go. It's not bad, but having experience the joy of a coil shock, I desire that type of ride all the time. Air shocks are so bouncy - sure they are light - but be man - grind it out - go coil.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new for $1,000 on a close out sale. So I feel bad for the person that spent nearly $2,000. It's not a $2,000 bike - or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about yet. In any case, I may eventually swap the frame for a Santa Cruz Tallboy frame so I get much more rear suspension travel. For now, it's my go to bike for everything and I thoroughly enjoy it. I have learned a lesson on air shocks - and it's sad that weight has made their use almost obsolete. I'm not a big fan of air shocks - way too bouncy - which destroys the whole point of a full suspension bike. If you do consider a full suspension bike, and the components are all air, expect to swap them, or save your money and get a rigid frame.

Submitted by Carter a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Strengths:    Solid and light frame, Shimano XT dérailleur setup, 120mm Rockshox Suspension W/lockout, Good brakes

Weaknesses:    Stock tires!!!

Bottom Line:
This bike has solid components that give one of the smoothest rides I have experienced.

The East Peak 5.6 can go up a hill as well as it can go down. The easily adjusted RockShox provide a smooth decent and the lockouts make for a solid climb. I ride a lot of XC however with this bike I dont hesitate to take All Mountain trails. Jumps and smaller drops are no big deal and if the suspension is properly tuned for the trail can hold up better than my Hardtail with 140mm.

Shimano XT dérailleur is a solid unit and gives good confidence in my shifts. Maybe the smoothest shifting I have ever experienced... I get no skip on the hardest of uphill and remains 100% accurate after taking a drop. Not much else to say about this other than it just works.

The stock brakes suprised me. I was expecting to have to go out and upgrade right away, instead I found them to have good modulation and stopping power.

The only thing I was not impressed with this bike was the stock tires that came with it. I find they are good for grass, hard-packed dirt and not terrible on pavement. However anything deeper than an inch and a half of gravel and your sliding pretty good; sinks into sand and loose dirt pretty bad, and can make the bike unstable rolling tree roots.

Bottom Line:

This is a solid bike with awesome components designed to give you confidence on the trail. It can take as much as I will throw at it and keeps riding flawlessly. Really good bang for the buck.

Bike Setup:   Stock with a 2 X 10 setup instead of 3 x 10 to save my jeans when impromptu riding

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    everything is pretty awesome so far and it is super nice to ride and steers really well

Weaknesses:    not so keen on the rock hard seat

Bottom Line:
this is my first full susp mountain bike and i love it! i got the 2013 model and a %50 off sale!

2012 East Peak 5.6 for less than $1k, yes or no?

In my search to rekindle my love of riding I am in need of a decent base bike to start off with (again). I am in a sense a "Noob" as it has been 10 plus years since I have aggressively "bombed" down trails and hills so I need something that will allow me to be confident and competent in my skills ... Read More »