Litespeed Niota Ti XTR disc XC Full Suspension

4.14/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by monkei a Downhiller from Pleasanton, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Pretty kickass suspension geometry (CLR). Fast, confident, light ('til you put a buncha' heavy parts on). Ti blend (3Al2.5V & 6Al4V) and G.E.T. ('Geometrically Enhanced Tubing' - shaped for stiffness). Beautiful welds. Climbs like a freakin' mtn. goat! Gets me compliments every once and a while :)

Weaknesses:    I find the susp. bearings coming loose every once in a while, No biggie if you are checkin' em' periodically. Can only fit ~ 2.3-2.35" wide rear tire.

Bottom Line:
I can keep up with my buddies riding FS DH 180mm tanks on the roughest of trails, granted i get beat a bit harder than they do. I've crashed on it several times, basked it over rock gardens, taken many decent size jumps/drops with it and no breakage for me (I'm about ~150lbs). I bought the frame with the Ti rear triangle and I haven't had any cracks or signs of fatigue/failure. It's 'sposed to be an All Mtn frame but it's served me well on pretty much everything I've tackled in Santa Cruz and at Northstar.

Favorite Trail:   Boondocks / Oat Hill Mine Rd / SC DH

Purchased At:   Craigslist deal (fra

Similar Products Used:   First FS bike. Before that: Ti Hardtail w/120mm fork, Trek 4900, Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Niota Ti w/ 140mm Manitou Minute 20mm axle fork, saint crankset (2ring w/ tensioner & bash) & 10mm axle rear derailleur, rp23 rear shock always @ 5" position, rhyno lite front wheel w/ saint front hub & brake w/ xtr lever, avid jucy7 rear brake&lever, hope proII rear hub, dt swiss fr6.1d rear wheel, xtr front derailleur, xt shifters, moots opentrail 31.8 Ti stem, Chris King Ti headset, titec hellbent 31.8 bar, fsa 31.6 carbon seat post, titec pluto saddle

Submitted by kenjamesnichols a Racer from Miami, Fl. USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2009

Strengths:    Light, long travel, nimble, climbs and descends better than the Superlight and Stumpjumper that I had before this.

Weaknesses:    Aluminum rear triangle instead of Titanium.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Much faster than a Superlight and the geometry is such that I do not have to get behind the seat on steep descents. I have set it up as a racer, with 4 inches of travel-24 lbs, but change the setting at the rear shock (to 5 inches) and put on a longer travel fork and I would have a bigger hit bike. Very versitile. Best looking bike I have ever seen. I recommend this bike to anybody with deep pockets, looking for lightweight and a distrust of Carbon frames on mountain bikes. Can't say enough about the difference between aluminium and Ti. Like crossing a Porche with a Cadillac.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia/Markham

Similar Products Used:   Superlite, Blur, and Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Easton carbon flat bar and stem. Chris King headset, XTR, Magura Marta carbon disk, Mavic SLR wheels, Sid Race fork, Fox DHS 5.0 rear shock, Thompson seatpost and Panaracer Rampage tires.

Submitted by Carl-Arnold Wilke a Weekend Warrior from Stuttgart/Waiblingen

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Strengths:    Unique, light, very responsive, robust and handmade in the USA. Welding quality is excellent.

Weaknesses:    the rear triangle flexes trails with with large rocks.

Bottom Line:
After only one year the rear triangle of my Niota Al cracks. After 3 months of negotiation with ABG I got a frame upgrade(2500$)on titanium.
The Niota Ti is ingenious!! It's a great all mountain/freeride bike, can take hits, and absorb bumps. Since getting this bike, after 10000 km single trail riding Ihave had no problems at all. The rear triangle has no play!!! All bearings and bushings still in excellent condition. This bike climbs very well for a 130 mm All Mountain-Bike!
I will see how long it holds up to my abuse, because I'm a over 200 lbs rider and I will let you know.

Favorite Trail:   Grischa Trails /Switzerland

Purchased At:   American Bicycle Gro

Similar Products Used:   AMP Research B5, Tomac 98 Special Pro, Litespeed Niota Al

Bike Setup:   XTR/sram components. Rock Shox Revalation 130 mm fork. Ritchey WCS carbon components. Veltec wheelset Chaser. Formular oro K24 disc brakes (200 mm and 160 mm disc)

Submitted by Travis Smith a Weekend Warrior from Everett, Wa. USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2007

Strengths:    The titanium lightness and good looks.

Weaknesses:    The swing rear triangle arm. It breaks really easily. Maybe it is made of plastic. Poor design and whoever did this must have a 1 month experience in bike making.

Bottom Line:
This bike is nice if it is not broken. Litespeed said "King of the mountain", I say, King of the bike shop cause it spent more time in the shop than in the mountain. The waiting period for litespeed rep. is 2-3mo. Meanwhile, ride your less expensive bike. It will last longer. I am selling this one and get myself a Moots. Rather than upgrade or I would say downgrade to aluminum rear triangle. So much for titanium bike. Don't waste your hard earned money. There's plenty of bikes out there who knows to design a true all mountain bike. Amen.

Favorite Trail:   Galbreath trails

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Intenses spider, litespeed obed

Bike Setup:   XT/sram components. Fox RLC fork.

Submitted by Scott Bays a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    The best riding/rsponsive bike I've ever ridden. Climbs like a goat, buttery smooth decents, and good looking, of course.

Weaknesses:    As with others, my rear triangle, has broken 3 times. Also, my seat tube has snapped once. So, 4 frames in 2 years...that's pretty weak.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike but it is plain to me that litespeed pushed the limit (their words) and it won't hold up. They keep replacing it but at about a month loss of use each time. The last time I was guaranteed that it would not break as the rear triangle had been re-designed...it broke at the same place. They now say that they are going to build the swingarm out of aluminum...so much for my titanium bike. If you want a fantastic riding bike and don't mind being part of the R&D lab for Litespeed, buy one of these.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn. Alabama

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz blur, cannondale super v and a cannondale raven

Bike Setup:   XTR, fox rlc, crossmax, thompson, Chris King

Submitted by Andrew Sharkey a Cross Country Rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    Light, smooth, adaptable and easy to transfer onto

Weaknesses:    Only cosmetic, the frame and rear aluminium triange stratches really easily

Bottom Line:
Splurged on my dream bike with the setup I wanted and I havent been let down with what i had to pay to get it. Have adapted to this bike without any problems and the ride is a dream even after riding a blur for a few years. Happy to throw this bike down descents without fear despite its weight. Its been the envy of everyone that has seen it and I havent seen any others in HK yet. So looking forward to the summer! Lighter riders wanting something to race on or a more serious bike for faster rides, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   Tai Mo Shan, Hong Kong

Purchased At:   Richards Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, Ellsworth Truth, Intense Spider FRO

Bike Setup:   Full XTR groupset, Talas 32 RLCs, Mavic SLRs, Thompson stems, Chris King headset

Submitted by RAY C. a Weekend Warrior from Long Beach

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2006

Strengths:    super light at 22.5 pound with all xtr component

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses I have is the Xtr rim it like to howl.need replacement soon. other than that no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
This bike can climb and it is so light. AT 22.5 pound I beat my buddy up and down the hill. I weight around 180 pound, and do a little baby jump and it handle find.it made me feel like iam a Professional rider compare to my 10 year buddy who ride. buy it if you can afford it. lucky for me my wife sponsor me, and she also ride. you only have one life so dont bury your money with you to the grave, and dont be a 40 year virgin and be proud of it. lived your life the fullest and go out there and buy one. I did and i did not regret buying one.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Titus Motolite Ti, Zion singlespeed, specialized S work, cannondale Raven, Cannondale f3000, Gary fisher Cake etc.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR and easton Carbon. I dont have or use a front derailleur or front shifter no need. only use front chainring 22-32 with fox f100x up front, WTB weirwolf 2.1 front and rear super grippy.

Submitted by patrick merrick a Cross Country Rider from buffalo, ny

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Strengths:    Great ride

Weaknesses:    I have had two of these frames now in two years, and both have broken where the single verticle tube on the swingarm meets the drive side chainstay. It has become very aggrivating to spend the money on something that you think will last you a lifetime, and it does not even last one season. TWICE!!!

Bottom Line:
great bike, don't bye one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   rim trail ellicottville,ny

Purchased At:   $1.00

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz superlight and blur

Bike Setup:   full xtr,crossmax disc,foxf100x

Submitted by Jeffery Potter a Racer from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2006

Strengths:    The most talked about bike at the 2004 Adidas TranAlp Challenge. It completed the race without a problem other than new brake pads. Amazingly well built and unique. Comfortable on 10 hour training rides.

Weaknesses:    Some rear triangle flex at warp speed downhill with large rocks and stairsteps. You can over come this by paying attention, or slowing down.

Bottom Line:
Hey, everyone has a cool bike. Few have THIS bike. At the end of the day, there are not many Ferrari's that get this much attention and fun. Life is short - why wait. This rides, looks and handles like a beach babe. It is a 10.

Favorite Trail:   Aspen Vista

Purchased At:   American Bicycle Group - sponsor

Similar Products Used:   I own another Tomac Revolver TI, Santa Cruz Superlight, Bianchi carbon hardtail, Ellsworth Moment, Kona Stab Supreme, Santa Cruz Nomad, Salsa hardtail, Surley 1x1, etc. - lots of fun rides. This is my favorite everyday bike.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Fox, Carbon goodies, Custom Stan's racing rims with WTB hubs - (buy them, they weigh nothiing). With peddles, 24.7 pounds!

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2006

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Since I ride crash and burn combined with the unfortunate fact that I recently turned 44 my old back is beginning to scream. I searched all winter for the full suspension I swore I never would get. It needed to be light, a good climber and allow me to ride all day and come home without needing traction. I have this baby (small frame) down to 25lbs , which is only a lb more than my Sworks. Performance wise this is awesome. On a hardtail I needed to be more focused to hit the bumps/jumps correctly. The niota allows me to bomb more than I could have imagined and it's climbs without any bob. At the end of the day I have no back pain and my second run at local Stillwell woods trail produced a time only 4 minutes longer than my best time with the s-works. I still love my S-works and will ride it on flatter less aggressive trails but the enjoyment is back and this bike is worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Bike Lab, UK

Similar Products Used:   My Last bike was an 05 S-works Hardtail, full xtr

Bike Setup:   Full Xtr, Chris King/UST, Talas TT X, and every other light component.

Submitted by Larry a Weekend Warrior from Laguna Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    Splurged on my dream bike. I am yet to be disappointed. On descents this bike handles like a dream allowing me to take bad lines that would have had me over the bars on my old rig. I don't know much about setting up supsension sags, etc, but this thing has allowed me to blow down technical descents and ride in comfort. I even tackle downhill routes comfortably that I would have thought twice about going down b4 without pads, armor, etc. I love the way it climbs and tracks on steep switchbacks. Light as a feather so it's all me if I don't get up the hill first.

Weaknesses:    none that I've found so far. It'll be interesting to see how long my XTR components last this Clydesdale.

Bottom Line:
I don't ride a lot of different bikes so it's tough for me to compare. I do know this thing always has me grinning ear to ear. Bad back problems had me limited to 2 hours on a ride on my old bike. With the improved geometry, travel and titanium, my back feels great and this ride motivates me to get out more. Love this bike even at its steep price tag.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho, China camp, Rock It, Meadows, Stairsteps, Downieville

Purchased At:   Rock'N'Road Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   DBR XR8, Fisher, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Crossmax SL Disc, King, Full XTR, Time

Submitted by lim chuan a Cross Country Rider from Penang,Malaysia

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2005

Strengths:    lightness

Weaknesses:    bolts used on frame will rust,should have used stainless steel ones or either titanium.

Bottom Line:
very plush and comfortable ride,ascends very well,must compensate lightness of bike with bigger tires to get better grip if going at speed downhill

Favorite Trail:   up 84

Purchased At:   chin aik

Bike Setup:   chris king headset,crossmax sl,full xtr set-up,thomson stems and seatpost,michelin xc tires

Submitted by scott bays a Cross Country Rider from charleston, sc

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2005

Strengths:    light (25 lbs, large frame), very nimble, climbs like a hard tail, soaks up everything thrown at it, easy to set up, and gooood looking too!

Weaknesses:    Have yet to find any (with the bike, see below)

Bottom Line:
Have around 7 rides on this bike and so far it is a dream. Early reviews are a tough thing because it does not include longevity...but so far, so good.

I had to wait almost 3 months for the bike which would have been OK except that initially I was told I would have the bike in a week. Then it was a month, then 2 weeks more and two weeks more and, well, you get the picture. So Litespeed gets a very black mark for misleading me on delivery. I still don't have the Crossmax wheels and its been 4 months now, why Litespeed didn't set aside all of my components while the frame was being built I'll never know> So, shame on you Litespeed, but you do build a great product.

Favorite Trail:   oak mountain, Birmingham, al

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   XTR, Thompson, Fox, Crossmax, Chris King

Submitted by Paul Choquette a Cross Country Rider from Brockville, Ont, Can

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    Surprisingly light for a 5" travel bike (<24lbs without pedals). Very plush without expected associated bob. Most well balance MTB I've ever ridden, descends confidently, climbs like a scared cat.

Weaknesses:    Suffered from the mysterious XTR wheelset/Disk howl-erama. This is all on Shimano and by no means Litespeed's fault. LBS has been looking after me though - and the XT rotor swap has made it go away. Otherwise I haven't found any weaknesses - some would complain about the price but I did choose to get a full XTR Ti bike so serves me right.

Bottom Line:
This obviously isn't a hucker, which is why I kept my Giant AC as a play bike. As far as everything else goes it is a superior bike to anything else I've ever ridden. The combination of suspension advances, gorgeous fabrication with a wicked rear triangle,and incredibly balanced feel makes it likely the last bike I'll ever "have to" buy. Trail riding is an absolute dream and it will be raced at the club level this summer. Very please with all the XTR bits - of course excluding the howl issue above - and adjusted to dual control in less than 1 ride.

There have been attempts to penetrate the MTB market with FS Ti in the past - with mixed success. This however is an awesome machine. Expect it to be coveted, hard to come by and lusted after. I don't regret the big $$ for a second.

So if you want a hucker, dirt jump or urban bike look elsewhere. If you want anything else this might very well be the holy grail.

Purchased At:   Duke's On Queen

Similar Products Used:   Owned/Own - Giant AC1 and Specialized FSR. Demo'ed Rockys, Cannondales, etc

Bike Setup:   OEM spec except XTR wheelset, Monkeylite SL bar, Easton Mg stem, Michelin Comp S UST's