Kona Dawg Supreme XC Full Suspension

• Rims: Sun S.O.S. Welded
  • Saddle: WTB Laser V Team

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2014

Strengths:    Tough as you like frame at a great weight and price. (I paid £500 for a new 2010 frame in the sale in 2012)

Weaknesses:    Only the odd size of seat tube limiting dropper post to a 27.2 with shim. The original Fox RP23 rear shock never felt like it could do the full range of my riding without changing pressures between rides, it was either too stiff for the rough downs or too soft for the climbs. Solved by a RS Monarch Plus High Volume. The high bottom bracket can make you feel like you are perched on top rather than 'in' the bike - but gives great chain ring clearance. Front end tends to lift during steep climbs, but that is more down to my individual set up than the bike itself.

Bottom Line:
My second Dawg, my first was a 2006 Primo, that did everything. 100 km Enduro races, UK winter rides, Lakes rides, Fort William DH track, though I would have liked a tad more travel than the 130mm I had on the forks then! I then bought a 2010 frame, the next size up as I was always a little compromised on the L. The build on the 2010 is heavier, as I have moved to RS Lyric forks (160 mm) from the various 130 - 150 32mm forks I destroyed on the Dawg. The 2010 bike isn't perhaps the most sophisticated ride out there, but it is absolutely bomb proof for my AM (all season) riding. I run Mavic DH rims, Hope hubs and Maxxis Dual Ply High Rollers which make it slower rolling than some but I am a committed if not accomplished rider (riding through rather than over things if you get my drift) and the Dawg just keeps coming back for more. The biggest improvement over the early Dawgs is the frame bearing/bush set up. I used to destroy the top hats in 3-6 months, but the 2010 frame has only really needed a couple of sets.

The paint has seemed to mark in some places in a couple of odd ways (egg shell like cracks), that doesn't really concern me as my bikes aren't pretty for long.

I think if you want an All Mountain blast you can go far wrong with this machine. It is very capable and also very difficult to break.

Submitted by JOSEPH BUHAGIAR a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame very durable

Weaknesses:    nothing really

Bottom Line:
Great Bike...throw anything AT IT

Purchased At:   PEDAL POWER MALTA

Submitted by causey1910 a Cross Country Rider from manchester

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    excellent all rounder super fast and stable on jumps and over the ruff stuff the xt break are super keen

Weaknesses:    me lol

Bottom Line:
cool bike...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Favorite Trail:   rivington

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   evans

Similar Products Used:   specilized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   standard with kona super flat pedals

Submitted by bikeforlife a Downhiller from Negaunee, MI USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    Very durable, not to heavy, good brakes, plush suspension

Weaknesses:    the paint, the cranks sometimes gets loose

Bottom Line:
Great all- around bike, ive used it for cross-country, downhill, freeride and more, i got it for a very cheep price, its awesome

Favorite Trail:   Hemi

Purchased At:   Neighbor

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro SL comp

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Drop offs in front, rear fox shock, shinamo gear system

Submitted by nurseman a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, durable, looks awesome, smooth ride, plenty of clearance, great design, everything about it is awesome

Weaknesses:    The paint, I would really like to have anodized paint.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Great for probably any type of riding. It will last me the rest of my life and I am pretty sure that I will love it until the end!

Favorite Trail:   Wild Turkey

Similar Products Used:   k2 lithium 4.0, Gary Fisher hiFi Delux (demo)

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg Supreme, shimano xt crank, chris king hubs, chris king headset, chris king bottom bracket, dt swiss 4.20 wheels, fox float 32 fork, Avid elixir cr brakes

Submitted by Roger S. a Weekend Warrior from Everett Wa

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Strengths:    I have never ridin a mtb that has the same carving sensation as my snowboard. quick response,good hill climber and not to heavy

Weaknesses:    $$, I knew the Dawg Supreme was the bike for me, but the prise of bicycles are crazy

Bottom Line:
Spend the extra $$ and get a fun but aggresive bike. The only problem is the '09 is $1500 more then my '07 was (better parts) but the bottom line is $$$

Favorite Trail:   Glass School, Galbraith

Purchased At:   bike works

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super v 2000

Bike Setup:   stock, except Ergon mtb grips and a staple for the N.W. TIME platform clipins.

Submitted by lonestar_cycles a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2009

Strengths:    Up or Down--it can do it with ease. Enough travel for the big stuff and not too hefty for the quick single track.

Weaknesses:    The wheels--ditch them and get a nice hand-built pair.

Bottom Line:
Bang for the Buck--Pure smile generating machine. Also the guys at Ozone could not be any nicer or helpful.

Favorite Trail:   Rattlesnake

Purchased At:   Ozone Bike Dept.

Similar Products Used:   Marin Wolf Ridge, Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   Stock--except for XTR hubs laced to Mavic 819's

Submitted by Darren Toombs a Weekend Warrior from N Ireland

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent all rounder. If you can only have one bike for all types of riding then this is it. Build quality and strength superb as you would expect from Kona. RP23 shock suits the bike well. Climbs very well and descends pretty well too. As good a downhiller as you will get with 5 inches of travel. Very easy bike to throw around. Beef it up with some Pikes and an e-thirteen as I have and it makes an excellent all mountain bike.

Weaknesses:    Front end can wander on technical climbs. Fairly expensive if you buy within the current year model. I waited and bought a 2007 going cheap.

Bottom Line:
If you can only have one bike this is a superb all rounder.

Favorite Trail:   Bigwood Warrenpoint

Purchased At:   Revolution Newry (Frame Only)