Kona Dawg Dee-Lux XC Full Suspension

• Fox Float RL, 4.0" travel rear shock

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bshindurling a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    Construction, Components (for the money), it climbs, it descends like a sled, and the Fox suspension is crazy plush.

Weaknesses:    For its day, this bike was the shiznit with 4x4 travel, but for a trail bike these days, it's pretty short. I'm also on my 3rd set of brakes. The stock Hayes brakes were never very good--the Hayes strokers that I upgraded to only lasted 2 seasons, and I'm finally stoked on a set of XT disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
    The construction in Kona frames is crazy solid. I have shown this bike no mercy over the 7 seasons I've ridden it and have found essentially zero flaws in the construction. The pro pedal in the rear shock makes it climb as strongly as it descends.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest, Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   bshindurling@gmail.c

Submitted by OakeyDokey a Cross Country Rider from Durango

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    This bike is sturdy. It takes a beating and keeps on going, and I'm never worried about it breaking while I'm hammering trails It also comes with a nice component package for the price. Plus, it is sooo plush.

Weaknesses:    A little sluggish uphill, but once you get the susp. set up correctly and get used to full susp. (if you're coming off a hardtail)it doesn't do too poorly. One gripe I have is that the chainslap on this bike is out of control. It's almost better to ride downhills in the middle ring to lessen it.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a blast to ride. I used to do alot of cross-country racing, and I never thought I would go to full susp. but it's awesome. I still have my hardtail for smoother trails or when I just want to hammer some uphills, but the Dawg is my primary trail bike. It handles pretty intense terrain (I don't do big drops or anything like that, this bike isn't suited for it and neither am I) and doesn't give up. I am coming off of a back injury, and I haven't been able to ride for almost 8 months. I got on the Dawg today and rode for the first time since. It was spectacular. This bike is a rocket on the downhills, climbs pretty well, and corners like it's on rails with some nevegals on it. It's not a new Ibis, or Moots, or even a flagship Specialized, but this bike rocks. When you buy a Kona, you've just bought yourself more bike for your dollar than any other manufacturer. I am 100% happy with this bike (besides the chainslap!)

Favorite Trail:   Too many to choose

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I've been on alot of different bikes, most recently a Giant Carbon Hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock, upgraded to eggbeaters (or downgraded I'm not so sure I'm happy with these pedals) new tires, replaced the brake pads.

Submitted by Crusty a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    Looks, solid, all-around performance

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy, mediorce fork, problems with transmission

Bottom Line:
    This is a great looking bike that does everything. I think it's alittle bit heavy for XC so not sure why it's classified as one. I can't really climb with this bike, but maybe because I am tired or too fat? I have some problems with the chain getting caught and stuff but could be because its too dirty? I don't like the Marzocchi fork because it's the lowest model, but I guess it can be replaced. It does the job though.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   RM Slayer, Specialized Big Hit 2

Bike Setup:   BMX platform pedals, Specialized BG Gell Saddle

Submitted by Paul Mercado a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    I like the 5 inches of suspension front and rear. I've tried to bottom out the front fork and I still only get about 4 inches. I just like the feel of this bike compared to other XC bikes, probably because its also an all mt. bike and has freeride capabilities. The shimano XT derailers are also nice. I also love the hydraulic disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Maybe just the seat post clamp.

Bottom Line:
    I only got into MTBing last yr. I really , really enjoy riding this bike, especially as of late. I thought I was given the wrong frame size at first , but I think now this is how it is supposed to fit. I,m getting more into some downhill runs and jumps and I can say that this bike can handle anything I throw at it. Because I am new to mountain biking I have put my bike through a few falls and the only thing I,ve had to fix is my odometer. This bike is takin it like a bike is meant to! I am really happy with my purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh

Purchased At:   Spokes

Similar Products Used:   This is my first real bike other than trying other peoples bikes. I started w/ a walmart special last yr.

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Strengths:    I tried my best to break it and it still works like new. The Hayes Nine hydro breaks are nice for the downhill. I have bottomed out the suspension throughly and everything is in good shape. The Fox Float rear end is really effective with Kona's 4-bar linkage. As an engineerin student, I really think Kona has the most efficient frame suspension for the price.

Weaknesses:    I plan on upgrading the fork but it still gets the job done.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for the price. It puts a smile on my face almost every day. Great for someone who can only afford one bike and likes to do it all. I never need to do the push of shame like the "hardcore" down-hillers and I think I have just as much fun on the way back down.

Favorite Trail:   Levritch

Purchased At:   In the bozone!

Similar Products Used:   My first soft tail.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now except for a shorter 90mm stem for killer downhill.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX,

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    This bike is awsome! I just wiped out, I am broke, but the bike is fine. Really tough bike! Great suspension allows you to climb with ease. This is my first full suspension and I will never go back to a hardtail. I read the reviews on this web site prior to purchasing the bike. I agree with all the superior comments.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I can think of is the tires. Wish they were a little tougher for the terrain.

Bottom Line:
    This is an awsome bike. Really can handle anything you can dish out. Friends really like the bike. This is a really solid bike, one that I plan on having for a really long time. I really enjoy the sport of mountain biking and since I have gotten this bike, I wanna get out there even more.

Purchased At:   Bike store out of Washington state

Similar Products Used:   Fuji, marin

Bike Setup:   Stock all the way

Submitted by James Collier a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2006

Strengths:    Good value for the money, rugged, reliable, comfortable and most especially wide grin generating.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy and I want to replace the stock saddle.

Bottom Line:
    This is my first FS bike and I love it. I was looking for solid, reliable bike that wouldn't take to much TLC on my part to perform ride after ride. I chose the Dawg because it was sold at the LBS 2 miles down the road, had excellent reviews and felt like "my bike" as soon as I got on. I was trying to decide between the Cannondale Prophet 600, Kona King Kikapu and the Dawg Dee-lux. I chose the Dawg over the King Kikapu to get a little more travel. Ride after ride this bikes produces wide grins.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell Mountain Park

Purchased At:   LBS - Focus

Similar Products Used:   Inexpensive Trek HT

Bike Setup:   Completely stock with Shimano pedals

Submitted by Chris from New Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2006

Strengths:    Very durable bike. Handles more than I have the cahones for. It likes to fly on the downhills. I find it climbs better than my hardtail. It is sooo much easier on the bod even though I am riding 2x as hard.

Weaknesses:    Tires and grips are slippery. Other than that it has no other weekness

Bottom Line:
    I tried many different bikes, and was frustrated by the lack of demo bikes. I wanted something that could take my mass. I got on the Dawg and it just seemed right. It may just fit me well (XL frame for 6'4" 34" inseam) but I seem to have better control and balance. There is little bob on climbing and downhill is a dream. Once the tires are replaced, it corners great. Point and shoot. The Hayes 9 Disk Brakes are unbelievable.
    I hit some mid sized jumps and 3' drops, but I would not do anything huge with this bike, get a Stinky or Coiler or SC Heckler if you want the huge tricks. Kona has told me they classify this bike as a X-country bike. I have not had any issues with the frame and I feel very safe.
    I wanted a bike that will take a beating without a ton of repairs. I have been riding hard 4 times a week 1-3 hours each ride since I took delivery in February and I have yet to have a repair (knock on wood) beyond a derailleur adjustment, a truing of the wheels, and a Brake pad replacement.
    Great all-round bike. Do not get it if you are going to go big; it is not a hucker. Get it if you want to be able to do most stunts and still be able to climb.

Favorite Trail:   Nepaug Tunxis Trail

Similar Products Used:   Tried Cdale Rush (too much bob), Gfischer Cake (chain suck on demo ride in parking lot, not good), Santa Cruz Heckler (price)and more. You can not beat the feel of a Kona on the trail.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Tires. Kenda Nevegal 2.1 front and back. Sweet tires

Submitted by Brad a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Strong frame, balanced geometry & suspension, good components, decends well, plush.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for cross country, not the best climbing.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great all around trail bike. I have the Kona Bear Dee-Lux with 4" of travel front and back. Copyright issues force Kona to change the name to Dawg. Kona later changed the suspension to 5" front and rear. I imagine the newer Dawgs are even plusher.

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by erik santner a Weekend Warrior from fort collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2006

Strengths:    geometry, components

Weaknesses:    put wider tires on (2.3-2.5)

Bottom Line:
    This is my first full suspension bike! I could'nt be happier w/ the performance of the Dawg. It handles technicals extremely well(up or down). I will have this bike for a very long time 2 come!!!

Favorite Trail:   porcipine rim

Purchased At:   Oregon, Karina

Similar Products Used:   hardtails, ouch!!!

Bike Setup:   Stock except candy pedals, conti 2.5 front, conti 2.3 rear.

Submitted by Graham Phillips a Weekend Warrior from Portsmouth, NH

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Strengths:    Great overall ride! It's a very smooth downhiller, and loves to go fast. The Dawg is a very comfortable bike to ride. I'm 6'4" and about 215 and the bike is plenty strong.

Weaknesses:    Nothing major. Had a serious pinch flatting problems when I lived in Colorado, but no real issues with that back on the East Coast with new tires.

Bottom Line:
    I love my bike. It is so fast and smooth. It climbs pretty well too. I wouldn't say it was better climbing than my Tam was, but it is so much smoother and more comfortable on rocky climbs, I never miss the hard tail. It really loves the downhills. It was definitely made for western riding, with long climbs and descents. Back on the East Coast now, it is still a great ride. I find because of it's relaxed head angle, short, steep climbs are tough to keep the front end down. Otherwise it's always great to ride. I just wish I was riding back in Colorado again.

Favorite Trail:   Bookcliffs area, Fruita

Purchased At:   Pro Form

Similar Products Used:   My previous ride was Gary Fisher Mt Tam. A great hard tail, but no comparison.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by BROCKO TACO a Downhiller from KANSAS CITY

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2006

Strengths:    Geometry, handling, pedaling, stiffness, durability, suspension, looks.

Weaknesses:    Wheels and tires, lightweight rims and worthless, pinchflatting nokian tires. Hubs wore out on me in about 6 months. Upgraded to Tioga 2.4's and mavic 219 and problem is solved. Handlebars are a little narrow, but that's an easy fix.

Bottom Line:
    This is the probably one of the best all around mountain bikes. When I was looking for a new bike, I wanted one that worked for my riding style on trails. I like hitting every kicker possible and every drop I can. This bike has the best geometry and ergonomics. It climbs like an XC bike, but decends with grace. It is easy to manual and is a good dirtjumper. Two words; CONFIDENCE INSPIRING. If you want a bike that can crank out the miles, and catch air, look no further than the dawg dee!

Purchased At:   FREERIDE BIKE AND SKATE

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the wheels and tires.

Submitted by Pablo Hill a Weekend Warrior from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Strengths:    Solid built, short top tube, firm pedaling platform and cross country feel. Best of both worlds.

Weaknesses:    Would like it to weigh 28 lbs.

Bottom Line:
    It's a sweet bike, Its a do it all kind of ride. I use it mostly for heavy duty cross country and epic. It jumps, drops, pedals to the metal, climbs, kick ass. All on a single day and will enjoy every minute of your punishment. You will no be leading the pack on this bike on your way up, but everyone will be biting your dust on your way back.

Favorite Trail:   CabroRoca