KHS XC 904r XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by grainger a Cross Country Rider from ottawa

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Strengths:    non

Weaknesses:    everything the frame cracked in 4 places and i called khs and i was to bad for you

Bottom Line:
never buy anything from khs

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   all over

Similar Products Used:   non

Bike Setup:   all best of the best

Submitted by JBadiner a Cross Country Rider from Plainwell, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth over roots and rocks. Fast in the turns and light for a full suspension bike (just under 25 lbs ride ready).

Weaknesses:    None so far. This is the '05 so it doesn't have the frame issue.

Bottom Line:
Buy one! It has been the best thing to improve my riding. Hills are WAY easier to climb and the downhill is smooth. I am able to ride longer and faster. This is my first full suspension bike, and I will never go back to a hardtail. This is a great bike, especially for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   No other full suspension, just older hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Sid World Cup, Fox RP3, full XTR, Avid brakes with XTR Dual Control, WTB Weirwolf tires

Submitted by disgruntled rider a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Strengths:    A very nice ride. Everything worked smoothly. Geometry suited me.

Weaknesses:    Frame fell apart on first ride as one bolt came loose. This can be for given and regular checks and some locktite stopped a reoccurrence. Frame broke after 3 years of relative easy riding. No jumps or big drops, only weekend social rides, yet vertical tube and top tube snapped on easy downhill on dirt road. - Most unimpressed!

Bottom Line:
2 year warranty reflects the quality of the frame! Not the first to snap a KHS frame. Other riders had predicted its eventual demise, I guess from previous experience.

Submitted by Umar from Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is an update review.

With the new setup, my bike is now 24.9 pounds. But, weight is not my first priority. Its durability and simplicity.

The XT derailleur went ghost-shifting and after 3x adjustments, I changed to SRAM X9. Same mechanical performance, but the X9 shifters allow me to change during braking.. hence improve my exiting skill after downhill.. awesome.
The derailleur also works better with my Horst-link pivot.

The Raceface seatpost kept slipping slowly even if I thighten it hard. The Thompson seatpost has CNC machine lines all across seat tube that secure the position. It is also a lot lighter and stiffer.

I changed the bearing on the Formula hubs because they made a noisy sound which made me uncomfortable. The SKF sealed stainless steel bearings on the Formula hubs are as smooth as butter. Even my co-riders are suprised with them. The hubs got into some river crossing (water at waist level) and still perform as new.

The Velo saddle is actually lighter than the Fizik Gobi, but the Gobi is a lot-lot-lot more comfortable.

The Cane Creek S2 headset bearing got rusty after a few rains and river crossings. It just gave up. The seals on the Cane Creek were very poorly design. Bought the Chris King because everyone told me it is very good and durable. Spot on.

The anodized silver colour is still hanging on beautifully, although most of the trails I rode are full with nasty tree branches and small gravels that keep kissing and carrasing my bike. I purposely bought the North Shore derailleur billet to protect the hanger and new X9 derailleur.

With the XC904R rigid chasis, all the upgrades make it feel more responsive. The best part, you can feel it during fast switchback, climbs and technical descents.
Trust me, this bike climbs beautifully. I often overtook the riders on hardtails. They were impressed.

Bike Setup:   Same but change the following:
XT derailleur to X9,
Deore Rapidfire shifter to X9,
Raceface seatpost to Thompson,
Formula hubs with SKF sealed stainless steel bearings,
Velo saddle to Fizik Gobi,
Cane Creek S2 headset to Chris King,
North Shore derailleur (X9) billet.

Submitted by Lance a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight for a full suspension frame; power is transmitted to the rear wheel quickly, (like a hard tail), giving instant accelaraton.

Weaknesses:    should not be if this bike is used as true XC racer.

Bottom Line:
XC Race ready,(NO 5 foot drops, thank you!), but for small drop offs found in most XC trails, no problem.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali in North Carolina

Purchased At:   On-line:

Similar Products Used:   Raligh hard tails; Fuel-80

Bike Setup:   20" Frame build up: Carbon fiber bars; s/post. 120mm Mazocci front shock. Thermo-plastic pedals. Scram gears/shifters. Mavic wheels.

Submitted by Super D a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, Responsive, Horst Link, Sticks to the trail like glue!

Weaknesses:    A lot of options to mess with on the shocks. Takes some time to tune. Oh yeah, the headset blows.

Bottom Line:
The best bike for the money. Yes, there are a few weaknesses, but they are only minor components, and can easily be changed. Ok, there is one major weakness. . .$3000 for a bike, and no cartridge bearing headset? You've got to be kidding me! Yes, the FSA Orbit works fine, but I just expect better for their top of the line bike. I guess when you compare this to other Horst Link bikes, or even full sussers, nothing else is spec'd as well as this in this price range, so I am willing to look the other way on the headset. The other weaknesses are all personal preference, saddle, tires, etc. As far as the shocks and forks go, the RS Reba, and MCR are both smooth operators, with oodles of adjustments. You will be hard pressed to find a reason to spend more money on a different fork or shock.

Now, out on the trail. . .This bike is smooth. For a 4" travel bike, it is very plush, eats hills, and flys down. This is a very tight handling bike, and the Juicy 7's give you the confidence to attack anything! The SRAM XO drivetrain is flawless, but when is SRAM XO not? Just dollar for dollar, this is a high end bike, there are not many 4 bar horst link bikes out there anymore, and it is truly a great performing design. If only all the KHS bikes used this design. . . It gets a lot of looks on the trails too, because it is not the same Titus that everyone else has (and it costs less!)

Overall, if you are looking for a high-end bike, at least test ride this bike. If you ride or race XC, this is the ideal bike for you. Honestly with a different headset this bike is the complete package out of the box! I am still rating it 5 chilis overall, because the value out weighs the headset. You can spend an extra $130 and throw in a Chris King headset, and you will still be a thousand less than SC's, Titus's, and more than $500 less than comparable Specialized's. Factor in the money difference, and that this bike will run circles around those bikes, and this is a 5 chili rated bike accross the board!

Purchased At:   Cycle to Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Klein Palomino, Assorted Hardtails

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 KHS XC Team bike, with Crank Brothers Egg Beaters, Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, WTB Pure V Saddle, changed shifters to XO twist, and tires to Hutchinson Pythons.

Submitted by mantisa a Weekend Warrior from Kuala Lumpur

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2006

Strengths:    Beautiful Horst-link implementation.

Weaknesses:    The tyre clearance is quite limited.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike! It works like it should and that is a big deal.

My old Giant XTC is a very good XC rig, but the KHS XC904R surpass it by a mile. My XTC weigh 23.8 pounds and yet the XC904R weigh 25.3 pounds. Not bad for a full suspension. I even passed riders on hardtail on the climbs. It also feel like glue to the trail.

I also tried the Titus Racer-X, but I feel a lot more connected to the trails especially during fast downhill sections and long climbs on the KHS XC904R. I just wish they make the XC904R in titanium.

Favorite Trail:   Batu Dam and Kiara

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC (own), Giant NRS (tried), Titus Racer-X (tried)

Bike Setup:   KHS XC904R frame with Fox Float RP3, Fox F100RLC, Chris King headset, XT drivetrain except crackset Truvativ Stylo, Fizik Gobi saddle, Avid Juicy disc brake, DT Swiss 1540 hubs and rims, Kenda Nevegal

Submitted by rob dela cruz a Weekend Warrior from pasig city, m.manila, philippines

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2006

Strengths:    4-bar linkage, horst link, for ava shock
great climber, solid on descents, light for a full-suspension frame but sturdy enough extreme xc riding

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses if used for its purpose--xc riding

Bottom Line:
i bought the frame only and built it from available (and affordable parts). climbing is very decent, sometimes i forget to lockout for long climbs but probably because it is not necessary. descents are stable where the plushness of a full sus is really welcome. i ride mostly xc but sometimes encounter technical trails. the khs delivers just the same. for xc and a little technical riding, this is really a solid choice!

Favorite Trail:   sta.rosa and maarat trails

Purchased At:   ross' cycle shop

Similar Products Used:   scott hardtail bike

Bike Setup:   suntour fork, deore gruppo,sun ringle wheelset (ds2-xc) fox ava rear shock, avid mechs, fsa 110mm stem, torq low rise handlebars,salsa grips, wtb seat

Submitted by Andrew Murphy a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2006

Strengths:    Yet another perfect review for this bike. I have always riden a hardtail, and it took me a very long time to finally convince myself to get a full suspension XC bike. Very glad that I did, this bike is great all around - climbs just as well as my hardtail did, but 100 times smoother on the trails. Very light for an XC - haven't weighed it yet but it feels about a pound or less heavier than my hardtail - which was built on a super light Trek 8000 frame. Absolutley amazed with the bike!

Weaknesses:    Nothing!

I guess the MSRP is high, but you can find it online for huge savings anyways!

Bottom Line:
Two thumbs way up. Love it! I hear the warranty kicks ass too! Buy this bike if you are into XC trail riding or racing. Period.

Favorite Trail:   "The squeezer" St. Catharines, ON

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 Hardtail, Giant Warp 2, Various hardtails

Bike Setup:   x904r frame, Fox F100x fork, xtr derailleurs, XT shifters, hayes discs, XT crankset and BB

Submitted by t , yallop a Cross Country Rider from tillsonburg, Ont, Can

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
this is a follow up review. I was having a bit of a geometry problem with the component set-up. I felt as though I was way too far back on the bike while riding fast( if that makes any sence). I had to compencate by adding about 15 lb. to my shock. I also was getting cramping in my back when seated and peddaling really hard! To fix this I have changed to a Thomson 0-degree off-set post, and a Thomson 120 mm. stem (10 mm. longer than before). This has got me up on the bike more and makes me feel more balanced. I weigh about 220 lb. an this may have something to do with it. All I know for sure is the thing feels world better, and it was good before!

Bike Setup:   same as before, but different!!

Submitted by Umar a Cross Country Rider from Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Strengths:    Use Specialized FSR Horst-link technology, comes with Fox Float RP3 and anodized paint.

Weaknesses:    7000 series aluminium

Bottom Line:
I actually bought the frame and built it custom. It comes to 25.8 pounds, which is quite light for full suspension bike.
It climbs as better than a hardtail, and it is so balance that you don't need to lean forward too far hence good traction at rear wheel. The only time I notice slight bob in the suspension is when I stand up on road climb. But when I switch to firm mode on the RP3, it dissapear totally. It feels fast on the trail. It also remains plush over roots and rocks.

Other reviewers mentioned about the cracks on the frame, but mine still remain intact after a few not-so-high jumps. Hopefully, it remain tight all its life.

Overall, I like the XC904R very much. I like the silver colour too and its anodized too.

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC, Specialized FSRxc, Kona Kikapu

Bike Setup:   XC904R, Rockshox Reba Team and Fox Float RP3 shocks, Truvativ Stylo crank, Hayes HFX9-Carbon brakes, XT cassette, deraillers and chain, Deore Rapidfire shifter, Bontrager rims, Formula hubs, Kenda Nevegal 1.95" tyres, Raceface carbon flat handlebar and seatpost, Amoeba CNC stem and Velo Pronto saddle.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Moscow ID USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2005

Strengths:    A very light, agile, and quick full suspension mountain bike. The four bar/horst/stable design performs flawlessly and is equally smooth on technical singletrack and steep downhill sections. KHS did a great job at perfecting a balance between the Fox RP3 and the F100x and also providing a relatively strong component build.

Weaknesses:    Still attempting to get the Sram driveline dialed in (really seems to not like cable stretch). May also swap the WTB laserlight wheelset (two very annoying and perpetual "soft" areas in the rear) for Crossmax Sl's.

Bottom Line:
Initially I was skeptical about purchasing the KHS. After the first ride, I was sold and have never regretted purchasing the bike. The 904 looks great and has improved my riding (time, energy exerted, and recovery) by about 20% over my FSR. Overall, a super value that will compete with many of the upper end manufactures.

Favorite Trail:   Cedars

Purchased At:   Sandpoint Sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (02)
-custom build
Specialized Stumpjumper HT (02)
-single speed custum build
GT I-drive (old!)
-junk

Bike Setup:   Stock......check out KHS's website for the 2005 model specs.

Submitted by T. Yallop a Cross Country Rider from Tillsonburg ,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Strengths:    light,strong,pretty

Weaknesses:    poor customer service

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame and built the bike myself. It is all I expectedit to be. It is very light, strong and quick! The '05 is much nicer looking than the '06. I am using a Marzochi fork, XT crank,shifters,rear derailler,cassette, sram 990 chain(slickest chain on the planet),Mavic 717 on XT disk hubs, Selle Italia trans-am seat,Ritchy wcs post and stem, and FSA orbit head set. this set-up is dead reliable and very light. the only other parts I would use would be Thompson post and stem! Great machine, build it or buy it you cant go wrong!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Fanshawe lake