KHS XC 704r XC Full Suspension

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.00

Submitted by Hef a Cross Country Rider from Gill, MA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2010

Strengths:    Fun ride. Fast on variety of technical trails.

Weaknesses:    Frame strength.

Bottom Line:
I have really enjoyed riding this bike. I ride a lot and race a little. It has performed well. The frame broke on me much sooner than it should have. I have broken other frames (3) but usually after more and harder riding. KHS replaced the frame, I had to take it to a KHS dealer; I think they just charged me $30 for shipping. I rebuilt the bike on the new frame myself. More recently, the linkage on the rear shock broke. While I found a replacement part at a hardware store, in the process I lost a spacer which I cannot find a replacement part for. I made it work from hardware store parts, but it's not quite right. This bike has taken me many miles--lots of fun!

Favorite Trail:   Northfield Ridge

Purchased At:   Online - as overstoc

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Cannondale Jeckyl

Bike Setup:   By now I have replaced almost everything. The only significant change I made is disc brakes (inexpensive mechanicals).

Submitted by Jon Benner a Cross Country Rider from Potsdam, Ny, USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2007

Strengths:    Fairly light weight and solid construction. Great looking frame with decent graphics. The suspension works great and is pretty much flex free.

Weaknesses:    The RockShox SID shock isn't the best in the world...

Bottom Line:
I love this frame. I cracked my old FXT and KHS was amazing about replacing it. They hooked me up with my shiny XC704r and I love it. I can't say it enough. It's a powerful bike and I can climb and power through stuff easily compared to my old frame. It feels like an extension of my body when I'm riding. Even though I have a 100mm fork instead of 80mm it still handles really well. I only wish the rear shock was a little better.

Purchased At:   Warranty

-Super Light IRC Tubes
Cateye Enduro 8 Computer

Submitted by brian a Racer from Los Angeles/Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, adjustable, XC suspension.
Great price & good quality frame.

Weaknesses:    None. Had a shock (Rock Shox SID) problem, but it was quickly remedied by KHS.

Bottom Line:
Great frame & KHS has provided me with great customer service & support.

Thanks.

Favorite Trail:   Skookum Flats

Similar Products Used:   Raced hard tail until this frame.

Bike Setup:   XC race, light.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Cumming, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to the post below. I replpaced the crappy SID Dual Air rear shock with a used Fox Float High Volume with PPD and it has made all the difference. It's almost like a different bike. I paid $150 for the "like new" Fox rear shock and it was definitely worth it.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Cumming, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, Horst Link Suspension, Less Expensive than Bigger Name Companies.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock?

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame only on Ebay and built this bike up from components I mostly already had.

This bike is cool. I rarely ride my SantaCruz anymore, even though it's awesome. The coolest thing about the KHS is you can get up out of the saddle on climbs and the rear wheel hooks up everytime.

This bike is light too, within a pound of my Superlight and that may only be components making the difference on the SC.

The suspension design of the KHS and its weight are its strengths, and this is the same frame as on their less expensive models. I've only ridden it with the disc brakes so I can't speak for the stock version.

I don't think I like the SID Dual Air rear shock as much as the Fox Vanilla on my SC, but I haven't really experimented with the negative air chamber too much.

If you find one used and you want a good FS bike, get it.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX 990, Santacruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Sram ESP Drivetrain, Mavic Crossrides, Marzocchi Z2 Atiom 80, Mechanical Discs etc.

Submitted by Andy Jenner a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2005

Strengths:    Design / Awesome Craftsmanship /

Weaknesses:    rear wheel clearance on upper cross yoke Dean's customer service needs to worked on to improve. But not out of hand

Bottom Line:
I have owned and ridden many FS bikes, by far this has been the best. The fit is like it was made for me. climbs great , fast on the flats , easy to get going and maintain, simply the best bike I have owned besides it looks great as well the welds and finish are second to none. If your looking for a life time bike this will do it

Favorite Trail:   Highland Michigan

Purchased At:   Dean

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz / Brodie / Trek

Bike Setup:   loaded

Submitted by Michael Pike a Racer from Pretoria, South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2004

Strengths:    Light, with a good parts mix. Excellent value for money

Weaknesses:    Sun Mach IV Rims. Welds are so bad they caused punctures. Painted sidewalls, no decent braking surface. Replace ASAP. Truvativ crankset.

Bottom Line:
I've been wanting to get a full suspension bike for a while now and am very glad I did. The bike is relatively light and includes a good mix of parts for the price. RockShock Sid at front and rear both infinitely adjustable with air and are light. I have the suspension set up quite hard, really just to take the edge off and handle bigger hits. I find no real loss of speed and the comfort factor is definitely worth the few extra grams. Just replace the wheels from the start, and if you can afford to, get XT disc brakes. This bike is ideal for the rider who wants the benefits of full suspension with the weight of a hardtail at a really good price.

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Morningside Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   The shop didn't have my size, so upgraded me to a 2003 XC904R frame. Replaced crank with new XT, and riser for a flatbar.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Portland

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2004

Strengths:    Very light for the price. Good components
Nice color scheme and geometry is best type for me.

Weaknesses:    Upgrade front derailler and upgrade to disc brakes but the avids are ok
Would like a lockout on the rear shock

Bottom Line:
This is a great XC Race bike for under $2000.00. Looking to throw some discs on. The fact that you can set the shocks with air seems to minimize the need for lockout on the rear but I would still like it. I am able to peddle fast through all types of terrain and it is light enough to carry while running through ugglies here in Oregon.

Favorite Trail:   Siouxon Falls