KHS XC 604 XC Full Suspension

-Rock Shox Pilot SL 100mm front suspension
-27 speed drivetrain with Sram X9 shifters, rear derailleurs and chain
-Truvativ FireX crankset
-Kenda Karma 26 x 2.0" folding tir
-Kore riser bar and stem
-Hayes cable actuated disc brakes

Submitted by mnigro a Weekend Warrior from c-bus, oh

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    nice and strong, not too heavy. cheap and stable ride. no pedal bob & FSR design.

Weaknesses:    paint kobs on KHS are really bland. they need to get some colors going.

Bottom Line:
This bike does more than the job. Climbs very well and bombs downhill. No pedal bob and the Specialized FSR suspension is on point.
I built up this frame and I'm happy with what I got for about $1500, all-in. The Manitou shock has a harsh platform but I think once the shock dies and is replaced this bike will be even better.
I'd highly recommend thisbike and KHS to others.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   bob's

Similar Products Used:   no other FS, hopper hardtail

Bike Setup:   Reba Race, Mav 719/XT, BB7, X9/X7 Group

Submitted by shahaf a Weekend Warrior from israel

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    climb very good the frame is very good

Weaknesses:    the rear shock i got with theme (rock shox ??? 2.1)
is not so good, not soft at all

Bottom Line:
who wants to enjoy both side of the mountain-buy this bycicle in single they great an when you climb you get to the top of the mountain first
bottom line - recomended

Favorite Trail:   single

Purchased At:   ofnaim

Bike Setup:   dont remember

Submitted by George B a Cross Country Rider from Goshen, Kentucky, US

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2008

Strengths:    The bike does everything I want it to and some. Will climb anything.

Bottom Line:
I went with the 2005 KHS XC-604 frame because of the lightweight for 7005 aluminum.(same as the team bike)The setup of the bike does everything perfect for me after a few adjustments on the suspension. The bike is still rock solid after 2 years of beatings.

Favorite Trail:   Land Between the Lakes

Bontrager RaceLite seatpost, Bars, and Stem
Tres Mountain King 2.2

Submitted by Mecreyes a Cross Country Rider from Brampton, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Strengths:    Soft and Plush, tracks well, quite enjoyable to throw around on the trails. Frame feels "soft" but no flexing is felt.

Weaknesses:    Odd sized Head tube had me scrambling to find a decent headset. I think its a 1.5" but reduced it to 1 1/8". Nothing innovative in the frame design, but utilizes Specialized FSR platform.

Bottom Line:
Overall, its a KHS 604 Frame with some considerable upgrades and transfers from my Spec. Stumpjumper comp. Its my first full suspension, and what a difference. I have no complaints about the bike, but some of the components are definitely due for an upgrade. The crankset, chain and cassette are where most of my problems are. I'm close to achieving a Shimano free bike, but couldn't pass up some deals online.
If you are in the market for a move to full suspension and are on a budget, the list specs for the XC-204 and 604 are definitely worth the look. I was fortunate enough to have a great LBS for service.
Overall, I'm quite pleased with the bike, and feel confident that the tried, tested and true design will last for the 5 years I plan to use it. Highly upgradeable, its worth a look.
BTW, I really wanted a Santa Cruz Blur to customize but hell is it ever expensive...

Favorite Trail:   S6-10 @ Albion

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   NB Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSRxc, Trex FuelEx 8, Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   Frame: KHS XC-604
Suspension: Manitou R7, Radium (100mm f&r)
Drivetrain: SRAM X9 Gruppo,
Brakes: Shi(t)mano Deore LX (hyd)
Mavic wheelset
Eggbeaters on Deore(Blows) crankset

Submitted by Rico a Racer from KY

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    Awesome for smoothing out the trail but climbs like a friggon billy goat.

Weaknesses:    pivots need greased often if you clean the bike with a hose.

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame from my LBS and put a fox float on rearend over the manitou & 100mm Rockshox up front. I built the bike myself so the cost of the complete build was Close to $3000. The bike friggon rocks and I get complements on it all the time. Once you get the suspension setup properly it works as good as it gets.

I can't say how well a store bought complete KHS604 works but I know the custom build I did will stay in my garage for years to come.

I race XC in KY and will go scream downhills and rarely fool with the pro pedal knob on my rear shock as it climbs great no matter what setting. This bike is severly underated by the masses.

Purchased At:   On your left cycles

Bike Setup:   2007 Frame custom build. Race Face, BB7, Fox, Rockshox, Mavic, Hope

Submitted by Andrew Brown a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Reasonably light, looks quite tough, value?

Weaknesses:    Brakes, rear shock, handling, rubbish stickers on front fork

Bottom Line:
Coming from a long line of kona hardtails I have to say that this KHS feels very bland and boring to ride. It seems to be quite a short bike so it turns fast but it is a bit unpredictable in its handling. It isnt that nice to slide. I've looked after it but at 800km the bottom bracket bearings are worn out. The brakes have no power, which is interesting because others don't have a probem with these brakes. The stickers are pealing off the forks,which I think makes them look cheap. The rear shock lacks adjustment, I cant get it set just right. I'd say that this is an entry level full suspension, you could get a lot better. At the end of the day you get what you pay for and I probably should have spent more.

Favorite Trail:   The Luge, Craigeburn

Purchased At:   Bike HQ

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension.

Bike Setup:   Manitou slate fork, manitou radium rear shock, juicy 3 brakes, sram x9 rear,x7 shifters, sun rims. Factory set up

Submitted by Petrelli a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff rear end. Very responsive rear suspension. Excellent top tube clearance.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for 2007 KHS XC604. I bought the frame bcoz I like the horst-link setup. I build the bike as the above setup. It weigh 25.2 pounds.

My friends laughed at me when I bought KHS. But after riding it for 8 months now, I'm very happy with the bike. The only thing I changed was the Radium L to MC3.3 shock bcoz I sold it to my friend who wanted to replace his broken Radium.

It climbed aggresively while seated. If I started to stand up during climb, I didn't feel any bob, unlike the Mojo and Trance that I tested before. Now I'm laughing at my friends when I arrived at the top of the hill faster.

The beautiful part was I'm able to go downhill with a lot more confidence and faster due to its stiff rear end. It just felt so natural. Braking performance during downhill was also smooth and rhythmic to the terrain.. no feeling of locking. Downhill switchbacks were rode like on rails.

The best part was sprinting. I just love that instantaneous feel of the rear suspension. Probably also due to the light Mavic ST wheelset.

Generally it is a great bike with quality frame and suspension. Cheap and for the price that I build the bike, I can only get the Titus Motolite and Reba fork.

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Mojo, Giant Trance 1, Titus Motolite

Bike Setup:   2007 KHS XC604 frame (with horst-link), Rockshox Reba SL, Rockshox MC3.3, Mavic ST, Kenda Nevegal, Hayes HFX 9 XC, Truvativ Stylo, XTR cassette and chain, Syntace handlebar, CB Candy SL

Submitted by Gordon a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    Solid frame & shock, decent brakes

Weaknesses:    Weak stock forks, dreadful oem spd pedals, drivetrain definitely not Clydeproof

Bottom Line:
This is a good entry level full suspension rig for regular builds, but as a clydesdale the stock components proved to be too lightweight - this is a Clyde specific review and the ratings are purely from a clyde perspective, this is not the bike for you.

I broke the stock pedals after about 2 miles (props to Ericson at Bike Attack for loaning me a set of XTRs), but they're pretty obviously supposed to be replaced at time of purchase, I don't even know why the bike comes with them.

The frame itself is solid, and common to the 204, the shock and components are the difference in the 604. There is a fair bit of pedal bob, but it's not BAD, the shock WILL take a good 270 psi without blowing, unlike the forks.

The forks (rockshox pilot SL - hall of shame member) are very poor, I blew the seals on the first set and the second set fell apart shortly after getting replaced. I've since upgraded to a TALAS RLC and the ride is great.

The rims/spokes are also pretty weak, I popped spokes very soon after getting it and had Rhynolite XLs laced up to the stock hubs, these have gone thousands of miles without hitch.

I have no doubt that this bike will serve regular riders well for most trail work, but clydesdales would be better off buying a 204 frame and building up from there, don't waste your money on the 604 components because you will need to replace them.

Purchased At:   Bike Attack

Bike Setup:   Stock when bought, have since replaced everything that failed.

Submitted by JJ Ford a Racer from West Virgina

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2007

Strengths:    built not to bracke

Weaknesses:    pedling efficincy

Bottom Line:
i built this bike up to race and have had a suspention rig before. it was cheap and thats why i bought it. i won some races but i felt that it didn't handle or pedle efficiant enough for me however a rider just going to a dual suspintion bike it will work well. i just want a more hard tail ride

Favorite Trail:   anything at pischah i sore its speelled wrong

Purchased At:   dive tech sports

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher sugar

Bike Setup:   fox rlt fork, bontrager race wheels,bontrager bigsweet bar, rock sock sid dual air, shimano XT disk breakes, xt cranck, xt cassette, wtb saddle, 9.0 half pipe grip shift shifters, sram x9 rear, XT fornt

Submitted by Mike Ross a Cross Country Rider from Winnpeg, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    Brakes and index capabilities, feels like the bike was built for you.

Weaknesses:    Should have atleast a 400mm seatpost, I'm 6'4 and the spec seatpost is not quite enough, had to list another post.

Bottom Line:
Being able to customize the suspension has added a new dynamic to riding. Gone are the days of chainstay divots and rattling, this bike will take it all in!!! Been nothing but a pleasure to ride, I hope I never grow old!!!

To all the riders who just like to ride wherever their hearts desire, consider this ride, you'll thank me and be pleased you did.

Favorite Trail:   Birch

Purchased At:   Gooch's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Kenda Karma StickE 26, 2.0, Truvativ Fire X Crankset/ handlebars, SRAM 9.0. Rock Shox Pilot fr, Rock Shox Bar, rear

Submitted by Cody Chandler a Racer from Mt. Airy, N.C.

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2005

Strengths:    pedals great

Weaknesses:    heavy rear triangle

Bottom Line:
great bike little to heavy for racing but good for every day riding

Favorite Trail:   Westwood

Purchased At:   Boneshakers

Similar Products Used:   K2 Razorback

Bike Setup:   bought just the frame used some parts that I had

Submitted by Bryan Mouton a Racer from Winder, georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome Bike, Handles great, Nice Paint, Excellent brakes and shifting. Lightweight, Overall a Beautiful bike. So far no chain suck.

Weaknesses:    Offset seat post makes for too much reach to the handlebars. Otherwise nothing.

Bottom Line:
Although this is my first full-suspension, it feels like my old hardtail but rides smooth. The adjustability of the suspension is a nice feature. I should have got one sooner. KHS has a nice dependable setup for a price that won't leave you broke. I don't believe there will be any major problems with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo