KHS XC 204 XC Full Suspension

4.2/5 (30 Reviews)

• Frame: AL 6061 w/4-bar Horst bearing linkage, Down/T double butted, 4.2" travel
  • Rear Shock: RockShox Bar 2.1 air w/rebound adjust
  • Fork: RockShox Tora 289Coil, 100mm w/damping, ext rebound & pre-load adj, Mag lowers
  • Headset: Tioga ZST2 threadless, Zero Stack
  • Frame Size: S, M, L, XL

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Anthony Sharp a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2014

Strengths:    Good brakes, and it shifts pretty good

Weaknesses:    Weak frame, heavy, the saddle bent, and shocks aren't that good.

Bottom Line:
    I cracked the frame after having it for two weeks. I haven't done anything to crazy or rough with the bike and it just cracked below the pivots of the rear shock when I went off a small jump (it should have been able to handle it just fine). I called khs and they wouldn't do anything about it. I liked riding it up until the frame broke so just be prepared to buy a new frame if you are looking into buying this bike.

Submitted by Pedro From Brazil

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    Solid
    Tough
    Fast

Weaknesses:    A little heavy - But it´s allright

Bottom Line:
    The most popular mountain bike segment in the world is trail riding, but not in Brazil. Here the cross country racing crowd dominates completely the mountain bike culture. Everybody must have an ultra light xc racing hardtail, though very few actually race at all! Apart that, there´s a tiny downhill ghetto for those who care only about descending fast in heavy dh bikes and nothing about climbing. The xc crowd ignores the downhill ghetto, which in turn despises xc types. And there's nothing between them!

I started mountain biking six months ago and fell initially in the dominant xc paradigm. I got for me a 10 kg hardtail fast and light, a nice bike. Problem is I don´t care about racing, I like trail riding! I soon realized that my xc light ht wasn´t a trail bike at all. I needed a good trail bike for my type of riding and taste. But in Brazil there´s just no trail bikes in the market, at least not to my pocket range. You can find good xc hardtails relatively cheap, but a good trail bike is twice or thrice the price you pay in the Usa or Europe.

Lucky for me I found this guy selling a size large KHS 2011 XC 204 frame for US$ 800,00, expensive for americans and europeans, but a bargain for Brazil's reality. It was used, but practically new, in excelente condition. I bought it and put in everything I could from my old ht. Now I had at least a trail bike!

After taking it to the trails all I can say is that I am marveled at it. The KHS xc 204 is na excelente trail bike, very tough and fast. I attack anything with it without fear, which I didnt do with my old hardtail. The bike runs over rock Garden and roots like there´s nothing in its way.It´s kind of heavy, but I don´t feel the bike heavy even when I´m climbing the many steep hills we have here i Rio de Janeiro. My old suspension´s travel is only 100 mm and the original rear shock which came with the frame do not lock out, but that does not bother me either. I´m in love with this bike and in due time I plan to put in a fork with more travel and a better shock, but there´s no rush. It´s already a dream bike for me!

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    2007 KHS XC 204

Drivetrain
    Value
    Comfort
    Durability
    Clipless (Opinion)
    High Traction Stick-e Nevegals

Weaknesses:    Suspension (I just don't like the Dart 2)
    Lack of adjustibility (Only air pressure in rear suspension)
    Weak wheelset

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike, it can really take a beating. Drivetrain is great, shifting is superb! Holds up well on the trails. Been off 6ft drop-offs with this, no damage. Seat is comfortable, grips don't slip. Rear suspension is plush but have no adjustments except for air pressure. Fork is budget, the one thing I don't really like about this bike. This bike has to be the best price for the parts you get. Comes with clipless pedals so you may have to buy flats. Tires are nice on trails. I've done XC, AM, and once I upgraded the front fork to a Reba I took it to Blue Mountain for some downhill. No damage.

Really impressed with this bike!

Favorite Trail:   The Hood

Purchased At:   Ski Pro Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon FX

Bike Setup:   2007 KHS XC 204 w/ Rockshox Reba

Submitted by trio

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Good value for the money. good for start bikes. for cross country only(this is their purpose).
    Weight, actually they weight fine for this kind of frame and components and it is not a real issue.

Weaknesses:    Not good for riders who want them for a bit more than XC, I ride AM with them and they are less good than all my friends.
    My model comes with Bengal brakes which in my case are very noise and spoil my feeling. I took it 3 times to fix this and now I stuck with it. also I have very weird noise from the pedals while paddling.

Bottom Line:
    Take them for long trails / XC ride. you can use them on AM if you know how to handle them but it does not feel natural. Noise are annoying, bottom line, for begging they are good.

Duration Product Used:   4 month

Purchased At:   Tsiyodim - Israel

Submitted by Rock a Downhiller from Newbury Park, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff relaiable

Weaknesses:    Limited rear travel

Bottom Line:
    great rig especialy for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Marz Bomber forks, Stock shock (Bar). Candy Pedals yadda yadda.

Submitted by MaximumRPM a Weekend Warrior from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    Good components for the price. My experience with the SRAM components is great.

Weaknesses:    Weight. A bit on the heavy side, but not unreasonable for the price. Selected low cost component upgrades can knock off some of the weight.

Bottom Line:
    So far I only have 1 two hour ride, but the upgrade from my '95 no suspension bike to the full suspension ride (and better gearing) is tremendous. I was slightly concerned about giving up some climbing efficiency with the full suspension, but continued to hammer past the others on the climbs. Just didn't give it all back on the decents. Too early to comment on durability, but I will follow up after each of the races I have entered.

Favorite Trail:   Old Post

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon

Bike Setup:   Swapped the trigger shifters for SRAM X9 Grip Shifters. Also swapped out the seatpost and saddle for Ritchey Pro and Specialized Rival. Hayes brake levers exchanged for Avid. (LBS accomodated all these swaps for No Charge).

Submitted by apellegrino81 a Weekend Warrior from New Haven CT

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Strengths:    For the price you will not find a better FS setup.

Weaknesses:    Maybe change out the rear shock, but for my 120lb wife that Bar will do just fine.

Bottom Line:
    http://bobs-bicycles.com/ for 299. Great FS bike for the wife. Let her look cool on the trail! How can you expect to find a better bang for your buck. Very tunable rear shock for a lighter person. Frame and shock weighed in around 8lbs. Total build 27lbs for a LX build. total cost cause i already had the wheels ws around 500$.

Favorite Trail:   The Mill

Purchased At:   Bobs Bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Many other FS frames up to a full XTR S-works Epic

Bike Setup:   Wife's bike! LX drive train, with FSA Alpha dive crankset. Cheap wheels.

Submitted by DERRINGER a Cross Country Rider from Rapid City, SD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    Got this one for my Wife. The biggest selling point is the Air Adjustable Suspension. Dialed in perfect for her weight. Specialized Horst Link Rear works great! Good pick of stock parts, even the Bengal Brakes (never heard of em) were easy to adjust and work better than the Hayes on her last bike.

Weaknesses:    Grips were pretty cheap, replaced with some lock on style.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for anyone. Especially nice for women and even kids getting into a 26" bike due to the air sprung suspension adjustability. Good quality mix of parts.

Favorite Trail:   Centennial Trail

Purchased At:   Black Hills Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona Four

Bike Setup:   Set sag per manual. Other than grips its good to go as spec'd.

Submitted by BurnNotice a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    Nice welds; well made; Horst rear setup

Weaknesses:    Paintjob would have been nicer to have been a clear coat slick look rather than a flat look.

Bottom Line:
    I like this frame for my build I did. The price was right and the frame came with great reviews. The frame is built well and handles the rides I put it on. If your needing a economical full suspension frame to do a project build I highly suggest you give this a look. The Horst rear is really a great design. My review is based on frame alone and not my custom build. Also the rear shock is a entry level but really worth riding and not replacing right away. All in all a great buy.

Favorite Trail:   Greens Lick

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Geeez...............customed out!

Submitted by Utomo a Cross Country Rider from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent climber, adequate descent (although I seldom used it for drop off more than 2 feet). Very agile, and handles very nice. Good design for entry level Full Sus XC bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far. It is XC bike, and used within its limit, its a good design. I

Bottom Line:
    Excellent climbing, quite plush FSR design, still using stock Rock Shok Bar 21. Handling descent equally well. For its entry price level, very agile and nice to use. I rode minimal 40 kilometers every time around 3 times a week. After using this bike for 900 Km up to today this bike is still going strong. Pivot bushing and bearings held up pretty good (I squirt chain lube on it time to time to eliminate squeaky sound). I also used it for one until two feet drops and its still good, although I have to replace the wheels bearings periodically (due to mud and high mileage). The FSR horst link license is spot on, and the exact locatin of the pivot on the chain stay enable this bike to handle XC nicely. I recommend this for XC at entry level full suspension. You will be nicely surprised at the agility, good handling, good climber and descent ability.

Favorite Trail:   JPG, Cihuni, Perigi, Sawangan

Purchased At:   Bagus Bike - Serpong

Similar Products Used:   I used hardtails XC before.

Bike Setup:   Fork Fox F series 100mm. Shock RS Bar 2.1, Maxxis Advantage front and rear, Quad hydrolic brakes.

Submitted by detrich a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, sleek design. Smooth shifters, responsive brakes, sturdy frame, great suspension components. Made in Taiwan.

Weaknesses:    Hydraulic brakes howl a bit. Seat post is a powdered black color, which scratches easily when raising/ lowering the seat. (Easily fixed & touched up with some Forever Black or Back to Black paint dye used for cars.)

Bottom Line:
    Absolutely loving the way this bike looks and rides. Smooth as silk, responsive, and fun. Am looking forward to many good rides with it. Bike Attack in Santa Monica, CA is a great shop to buy from too =)

Favorite Trail:   Malibu

Purchased At:   Bike Attack

Similar Products Used:   2009 Novarra System, 2008 Kona Four

Bike Setup:   Standard, OEM.

Submitted by bbk a Cross Country Rider from South Australia

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Strengths:    It has a solid frame and the front suspension works well, as well as the back one.

Weaknesses:    Too heavy

Bottom Line:
    This is a great bike for the price i reccomend it for a cross country rider but also does a bit of not so hard downhill, it has taken a couple of very hard hits and still works like the day i got it.

Favorite Trail:   Helrose

Purchased At:   OTE

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardrock sport

Bike Setup:   Khs XC 204 stock with gusset slim jim pedals( pink) and ergon grips.

Submitted by MTBiker2477 a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Moderate weight, good choice of components for a starter bike.
    Rides Excellent, My first MTB so I dont have anything to compare it to.
    Frame seems rock solid and will keep up with any riding, small jumps gaps are nothing for this bike.
    The frame seems rock solid, I am an aggressive rider...so far it seems like it will keep up.

Weaknesses:    The saddle, grips, fork is decent nothing especial..no bash rings, did not come ready to rip... I had to learn how to adjust the Disc brakes myself.

Bottom Line:
    if you want a bike with good components and Full Suspension, this is where you want to start...I took a big jump in buying KHS even thou I do not see them so much.
    So far, this bike will be show me what KHS has to offer.

paid 999$ canadian

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Algoma Bycicles

Similar Products Used:   Wal Mart crap

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Danker18 a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Moderate weight, good choice of components for a starter bike.
    Rides Excellent, My first MTB so I dont have anything to compare it to.

Bottom Line:
    So far, this bike will be show me what KHS has to offer.

paid 999$ canadian

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   Algoma Bycicles

Similar Products Used:   Wal Mart crap

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Greg Williams a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2009

Strengths:    Good solid frame. Good front crank set,wears well

Weaknesses:    Rear swing arm pivots down by BB, forever squeaking and loosening off, even after applying locktite to thread. Ended up replacing cheap aluminiun washers with stainless steel ones, that fixed it.

Bottom Line:
    A good allround Dualie. Abit heavy. Put a good fr suspension on, something with a 15mm axle to stop flexing and you can run with the big boys, at half the price.

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill State Forest

Purchased At:   Rad Cycles

Bike Setup:   Changed front Dart 2 fork, for a Tora 318. Placed on a short 60mm head stem, so takes drop offs alot better, without going over the bars. Replaced fr 2.1 tyre with a 2.35, that helps alot more in corneing and log riding

My upgraded 2011 XC-204

Oops, was meant to post this here - [url]http://forums.mtbr.com/khs/post-your-khs-pics-630949-9.html#post10371312[/url] It's late here in NZ - Oh wells... This is my trail/commuting bike. Everything on it has been upgraded when I sold my Iron Horse Bootleg frame as it was a tad too small for me. A ... Read More »

Khs xc 204

I have a khs xc 204. The stock fork was a dart 3 100mm. I recently upgrade it to a fox rlc 100mm. My question is, can i go to 140 mm??Read More »

Khs xc 204

Hello everyone. I recently purchased an '09 KHS XC 204. I wanna do something to mine. I am relatively new in the upgrading department. I bought a fox float rear shock. I dont know what "eye to eye" means, and i end up doing my measurements and the closest size was 6.5", is that correct? besides the ... Read More »

XC 204 Rear Shock Specs? "Help"

I just purchased a used khs xc 204 and wanted to change out my rear shock. The previous owner had a spring rst shock but its a bit stiff. I was looking the get the rock shox bar 2.1 since its relatively cheap on eBay and other sites. If so, can anyone tell me what size shock i need to buy as far as ... Read More »

What rear shock are you using for your XC 204?

Considering on upgrading the bar shock that came on my XC 204. It does the job pretty well, but I figured I'd like something with a lockout if possible. Curious to see what other riders (in particular 204 riders) have upgraded to on their rigs and how you like it. I'd like to stick with an air shock ... Read More »