KHS FXT Trail XC Full Suspension

Submitted by bizz a Cross Country Rider from EU

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Strengths:    Nice colour. That's about it.

Weaknesses:    Front fork braks down immediately. The brakes are awful. Simply awful.

Bottom Line:
After returning the first one I bought for 3 rather big problems (see under "weaknesses") in 1 week, I got a new one. It had same problems.
The man selling them said it was the worst model he ever had in his shop, and that he fork breaks down more often than not, and that brakes are awful and that nothing can be done about it. He told me to take any other bike, or take my money. It was nice that he was so honest.

I recommend buying any bike but this one. Jamis has nice (and excellent!) bikes for that money, and also Norco and Haro. Alternatively, save more than half the money and buy one of the low-quality supermarket bikes. You'll have the same thing for less money.

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Trail X3, Norco Kathmandu, Kona Fire Mountain

Bike Setup:   Shop setup

Submitted by Akeldama a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, durable, and certainly not the heaviest bike around.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest bike either. This bike also exhibits a lot of bob on the rear suspension when you are trying to power up a hill. And if you are over seven feet tall, the seat post will be perfect.

Bottom Line:
This bike is as cheap as a full-suspension bike gets. It weights about 33 lbs and can do everything your Ellsworth can do (not saying that Ellsworth does not make some incredible bikes, but in the end, they both have two wheels, full suspension, and a bunch of gears in between). I weigh in at 250 lbs and I have not been easy on this bike, but it has never faltered.
Plus this bike is so inexpensive, that you don't lose any sleep over whether tomorrow is the day it gets stolen, or the next ride is the one that will snap the frame in half. Just go buy another one.
If you're in the market for an Ellsworth, Knolly, Giant, Trek, etc., good for you! They all make some meticulously engineered and all-around fabulous bikes. Or, for a little less money, you can buy one of these KHS bikes . . .for every day of the week.

Favorite Trail:   Grand Targhee

Purchased At:   A Bike Swap Meet

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of a saddle, new tires, and a taillight.

Submitted by mrobbo0812 a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2009

Strengths:    Tough, Nice To Ride, Not afraid to ride the hell out of it

Weaknesses:    Mozo front and rear suspension is quite bad on it so I replaced it, Massive seat post which has to be cut

Bottom Line:
Great bike to ride and I will definately keep this bike for a very long time ;).

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere theres bush everywhere lol

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   My first decent bike

Bike Setup:   07 KHS Fxt Trail, RST Gila fork, Fox Float R, Maxxis Ignitor front tire, Maxxis Crossmark Exception Series rear tire, Mankind Red Grips, Cane Creek headset.

Submitted by Connor a Weekend Warrior from Manteca, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    Price for a FS. I really wanted a full suspension bike and after a lot of looking this was a good one that fit into my price range at 460 or so after tax which is enormous around here. It's built real well, solid as a rock, definitely not afraid to ride the crap out of it. I'm in love with this bike. It looks real mean too, especially after I put a new fork on it.

Weaknesses:    The suspension isn't amazing. The rear shock is ok, doesn't need to be replaced straight off, but first of all I couldn't get the fork to travel anywhere for the life of me (I only weigh 135 or so and it wasn't worth being sprung down) so I decided to replace it with a Marzocchi MX Pro. That decision paid off even more after the stock fork broke for the second time just hopping and riding urban. The seat tube was WAY too long but that's a simple cut.

Bottom Line:
A killer bike for the money, be prepared to replace the fork eventually though, as expected with a bike at this price. Really proud of the bike as a whole.

Purchased At:   Anderson's Bike in Manteca

Similar Products Used:   Haven't found anything similar yet, but I used to ride a 5 or 6 year old Hotrock that was way too big, haha

Bike Setup:   '07 KHS FXT Trail with a Marzocchi MX Pro on it, WTB VelociRaptors, changing the cranks next

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    comfortable suspension, good gearing, handles nicely, looks great, the more I ride it the better the basic quality appears. Front disc brake is fantastic.

Weaknesses:    seat post is miles too long. I'm 5' 9 and it is too long - I feel like I'm 10 feet up getting slapped in the face by trees.
Luckily the shop shortened it for me (perhaps too much hah). The changedown trigger does not conform to the feel of the changeup trigger -it takes a lot more effort. The rear brake is currently unlockable, not a hassle on the road but annoying on the dirt. I'm told it is a bedding in issue (disk brake).

Bottom Line:
A nice alternative to chainstore cheapo bikes for not much more cash. THe basic quality is all there. I plan to upgrade the shifters and brakes when I get better (pfft if that ever happens) as I cannot see the point in paying for another frame when the basic machine is so sound.
A sweet bike for those who want to learn without spending a fortune on something they may not enjoy, but want something which is a quality item.

Favorite Trail:   local tracks

Purchased At:   Lifecycles Penrith,Australia

Similar Products Used:   Dunlop Expedition (POS). Mongoose something or other.

Bike Setup:   lower end Shimano triggers, winzip discs, Mozo rear, GrinderOS fork, WTB saddle.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Port Richey, FL

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, clean workmanship, has a good 'feel' to it.

Weaknesses:    The seatpost is insanely long, turns my 'small' fxt into a medium/large. Wheels are soft

Bottom Line:
I got this bike at a dirt cheap price thanks to a couple of kids who sat on it at my LBS(while it was on the stand), broke the stand and took the bike with it. The derailler hanger was slightly bent, the wheels are slightly out of true. I wanted to give my review on the stock bike before I tear this thing down and give it all my deore/xt componentry.

First impression: Jeebuss..I am 5'4", this is labeled "small"...why in the HELL am I having to pull my pants up to my crotch and do a urkel just to get on the damn thing. The seatpost is TOO long. Wish I had a pipe cutter..

After riding: Nice, smooth ride..I was so amazed..I was a dyed in wool hardtail only rider till I rode this. hitting a 5 inch curb and just kinda bobbing over it felt so good..I bought it right then and there. Quickly I realized -everything- was out of adjustment. This is a moot point, most lbs's will tune everything before they sell it..but circumstances prevented it this time..good thing I'm good at adjusting derailers and brakes.

On the way home I noticed the wheels are a little out of true. Thats sad, this is a brand new bike and the wheels are out of true? I KNOW that kid didn't take the bike down -that- hard..

After getting it home: Weighed it on my bathroom scale. The first reading was 30lbs, but the scale seemed a bit off. After a readjustment it weighed 28lbs. Heh, thats the easiest way to make a bike lighter..yup.

SO, um, yea, that bottom line...this is a great bike if your playing around with the idea of going full suspension for the first time or are just getting into bicycling. Its well made, and is very affordable. A great beater bike to get around town, especially if your part of town isn't nicely paved and manicured..

Purchased At:   Avid Cyclery