K2 Lithium 5.0 XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Rafael Torres a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Florida

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2008

Strengths:    For the Li 5.75 the strengths are the travel (approx 6" front and back), cornering, and handling (2.3 in. WTB Weirwolves). Good set of components for the price. LOOKS GOOD!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great bike with good componens for the rider looking for an all mountain bike without braking the bank. It's geometry climbs well and the 6 inches of suspension can travel downhill and take normal size jumps (I don't jump off the roof of my house). The oversized tires help your cornering and handling of the bike in technical terrain. I consider it more of an all mountain bike than a cross country rig but it can definetively do both.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab

Purchased At:   rscycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   LX hydraulics and front derailleur, XT in the rear, FSA Moto Crancks, headset and handlebar, Candy C's, Marzocchi All Mountain 4 and Roco Air R.

Submitted by The Tooth a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Collins

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Strengths:    Great all around bike, climbs great, decends better. Used mostly the 4" setting which handles rock gardens and technical trail sections with aplumb. On tight uphill turns it really comes through, on long uphill slogs its probably a pound heavy and a bit short, but gets incredible traction. Most importantly for shorter riders the 16" frame gives great clearance relative to other 4-bar frames.

Weaknesses:    Squeeks from the bushings, no play just squeeks. Tried to figure out whats going and it remains a mystery. Not terrible, just sort of annoying.

Bottom Line:
For the money this is an insane bike. The engineering is first rate, close detail paid to all welds, tubes and pivots. As set up it's a great xc bike. I believe the retail on this would run $2200, not what I paid, but even at that price and relative to the next best option I would suggest that this compares favorably. An agressive all mountain rider looking for a single do a bit of everthing bike could do a lot worse for than this. The racing crowd will probably find it a pound heavy, but I think this would make a good choice for all day adventures and 24 hour racing. My riding partner rides an Ellsworth Epithany and has given this a ride and thinks aside from the fact that it weighs 2 lbs more (he's gone completely carbon) it's basically identical to his bike which cost 3x as much. Same frame is available on the Lithium 4.0.

Favorite Trail:   Los Alamos

Purchased At:   900

Similar Products Used:   Turner, Ellsworth Epithany, Kona King Supreme and other 4-bar system....(some with a genuine horst link and some with the chainstay work around)

Bike Setup:   Fox 100 RLC up front, manitou 3 way swinger on the rear, 2006 xtr drive train and cranks, hayes brakes, bontrager tubeless disc hoops with Hutchinson sneakers and easton 70 alloy cockpit and post. Total weight 27.5 lbd

Submitted by Michael Pomata a Cross Country Rider from Ashburn

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2004

Strengths:    Freaky nice ride... climbs really for 5" of travel, sweet through rock gardens, handles great overall and one heck of a lot cheaper than Ellsworth and other brands with simular designs.

Weaknesses:    the first one I got had 3 problems so I sent it back to K2, it had a ding on the head tube and the top tube (NOT shipping related), the rear brake had to be modified so it would hit the rotor square anf the threads on the BB were very shallow. The 2nd one I got we perfect... K2 took care of the bike swap very quick!!! My only side note would be that the down tube cable routing for the front D I do not like that... They seemed to have messed up on that, the braze-ons really don't add up no matter how you look at it. Personally, I would much prefer a top pull front D option. As for the review before me, I never had the cable problem...by the way, LOVE the SPV Manitou rear shock!!! That's where they beat the other guys hands down.

Bottom Line:
Hey, yeah yeah sure sure. I own the shop but frankly, I have or can buy pretty much what ever I want. I've done soooo many bikes over the years I completely lost count. This K2 is worth talking about. To compare it with the other high dollar bikes (which I also sell), K2 is really giving those guys a run for the money. Bang for the buck, I think K2 has them beat. Just like the K2 Razorback for example, once designed by Turner, K2 bought the rights to use that design and shortly there after Turner stopped making the same model. Why? K2 could do the same thing, for much less.

As for the other Lithium frames... vury nice too, in that price range of bikes.

I'd give em 5 & 5 but they do need to work on that quality control, to ship the shop owner a bike with 3 major problems, OUCH...

Favorite Trail:   freeride-ish XC

Purchased At:   Pedal Shop

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth, Mountain Cycle MoHo Slix

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock but I modified mine to get it under 27lbs.
Modified with Cane Creek Zonos, MaxM carbon post, Answer carbon bars, FSA stem, Conti' tires, SRAM X.0's, Cane Creek lock on grips.

Submitted by Jason Berube a Cross Country Rider from Somerset, MA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    Where do I start. This bike has a great parts set up, the suspension is amazing, it's light and climbs as good as my hardtail. It's a great all around trail bike.

Weaknesses:    I had three small problems with the initial set up of the bike. First, the rear disc had some drag I could not get rid of. I had to install two extremely thin washers as spacers to get it to work drag free. Second, the way I had the front brake cable routed it rubbed against the frame and wore at the head tube. I first had it zip tied to the arch of the fork and then it came up against the back of the fork crown. I was able to fix this simply by tying the brake line to the side of the fork leg.
The final beef I have with this bike is when I bottom out the rear suspension sometimes the derailleur cable gets snagged on the seat quick release. This happened twice on one ride, then I shortened the housing. Alas, even with the housing at almost a straight line (I was afraid if I cut it any more it wouldn't reach) it still snagged, and this time it just shredded the cheap cable housing they used. I was able to duct tape it up and finish my ride, but it took another zip tie to assure it won't happen again.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I've been riding it for 1 month and I have not had this much fun since I first got on a mountain bike. I dream about riding and have been riding 5 times a week. Every free second I get I'm riding this bike (my wife is getting pretty pissed). We have some pretty diverse riding down here in se mass, everthing from smooth rolling hardpack on the cape to freetown, quite possibly one of the rockiest, rootiest, rutted, torn up, dirtbike shredded maze of trails you'll ever find. The Otis trail system has got a few stunts, and plenty of up and down. This bike has handled everything incredibly. The suspension is plush, with no noticeable bob. It took a little bit to get the suspension dialed in, as there are four adjustments on both the front and rear shocks. The suspension is excellently balanced, you don't really even notice it until you hit something big and you just float. I couldn't believe how smooth it was off drops, two, three footers, no problem. Four feet had it bottomed out front and rear, but I have no desire to drop anything bigger than that. As far as climbing, I feel that it climbs just as good if not bettter than my hardtail. It definitely handled technical climbs better. Probably about the same on long, smooth climbs. I really didn't notice and pedal bob or loss of power. Climbs good out of the saddle too.
I even like the geometry better than my Zed, you're center of gravity is further back and it has a longer cockpit. The frame is a beauty with nice looking welds and the swingarm and rear stays are very nice as well. The Hayes brakes are awesome, easily lockable with one finger. Everything else is great, race face and shimano. I happen to like the WTB seats so that worked for me. Also like the lock on grips. The wheels are sweet too, sun ringle hubs with cartridge bearings. I'm also enjoying the stock tires, They are nice size with a decent all around tread. The derailleur cable housing is a bit cheesy(see above), as is the head badge (note to K2: get a better badge, this was the same bogus one I got on my zed four years ago,and it's not worthy of this bike. Also, couldn't you put that ugly made in taiwan sticker somewhere other than the front of the head tube?) I think that's about it, If you like to go out and ride trails this bike does it all, it's fast, plush, stops on a dime, climbs great, soaks up big hits, and doesn't feel like a big squishy bike. Probably not a great xc bike (28.5 lbs), but I'll race it in my one annual race. Also if you want to huck this bike is probably a little wimpy (The fork has a warning sticker telling you not to stunt jump). But if you're like me and you're somewhere in between this bike rocks. I love it.

Favorite Trail:   graveyard @ otis

Purchased At:   ski house

Similar Products Used:   I've pedalled my buddies Kona stinky around, but it's a bit heavier, as he has it set up with burly wheels and thru axle front hub. My last bike was a K2 zed 5.0, which had a suspension post and heavy duty wheels and tires, so it pretty much weighs the same as the lithium.

Bike Setup:   stock

k2 lithium 5.0 bike sizing

I was trying to figure out if a small lithium 5.0 would be ok for me to ride I'm 5' 11" with a 32" inseam. I know a medium is whats recommended but i can get the small for a sick deal. What would be some disadvantages of me riding a bike slightly smaller than recommended? Are there any advantag ... Read More »

Lithium 5.0 sizing

2005 Lithium 5.0 shock length?

Does the '05 Lithium 5.0 take a 7.5" X 2.0" shock?Read More »