K2 Bike Lithium 3.0 XC Full Suspension

4.18/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by tc0105 a Weekend Warrior from falmouth,ma

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    the bike is very nice pretty light and the fork is amazing.its perfect for pretty much anything you want to do other than hardcore downhill and freeride.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
this bike is perfect for anything you want to do on it it easily handle about 5 to 6 foot drops and jumps with no problems. it has never bottomed out for me.

Favorite Trail:   151 trail

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   trek fuel, scott bikes

Bike Setup:   stock other than new handle bar and stem.

Submitted by joshwalee a Racer from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    Decent weight, nice geometry with great standover clearance, great on climbs with platform shock, nimble in corners.

Weaknesses:    Thin paint.

Bottom Line:
This frame was actually an upgrade which I recieved from K2 after cracking a weld on my previous setup. I have been nothing but happy with this bike and have made it into my xc runner. The frame is laterally stiff and climbs well with little bob (partly in thanks to my spv shock). The weelbase is tight enough on a large frame to be very nimble in corners. Not the lightest of xc bikes, but I'm not one to count grams. An extra pound or two just means you have to be able to push harder than the other guy. At 6'2" and 160lbs I think I can spare a few grams on my bike. I can't say much for stock components since this is an upgrade, but the frame is strong with nice welds and gussetts throughout. Adjustable 4-5" rear travel is also a plus for varied tracks/trails.
K2's customer service is what sets this bike aside from others that may come in even at higher pricepoints. (World Wide Cycle Supply... K2/Ironhorse) They are knowlegable and prompt in their communication, and took care of my every need.

All in all: great bike from a great company

Purchased At:   warranty upgrade

Similar Products Used:   GT I-drive, Mongoose Freedrive.

Bike Setup:   Lithium 3.0 frame, manitou s-type rear shock, manitou slate super air 100mm fork, avid bb7 185 brakes, hollowtech crank, wtb speed disk am rims.

Submitted by Saxon9598 a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu, Hawaii, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Weaknesses:    chain like to jump of the fromt sproket in stock form

Bottom Line:
If you have a chance to get your hands on one of these do it. the frame is strong, I weigh 238lb 6.1 and do a little bit of everything on this bike,from mild to wild, it has yet to let me down. That's not something can say about other bikes I have ridden. The derailleurs (especially the front) and brakes should be your first mod, followed shortly by the rims, stem and fork. If you like to do a little bit of everything this is the bike for you, it will climb with little to no bobbing and it will scream on the way down. It is a great platform to build your bike the way you want it.

Favorite Trail:   The Pali Maunawili

Purchased At:   from friend

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Thrill LT 2.0,Turner 5 Spot, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Race Face Evolve DHX 2 175mm 24/36/Bashguard; Propedal rear Fox, 700lb coil; Truvativ Holzfeller Stem ; Race Face Evolve DH Riser Handlebar; Juicy 7s; Azonic World force rims, chris king rear hub, intence 20mm front hub; Marzocchi 66 RC fork; IS-8i Headsets; Sram X.0 Rear Derailleur, X9 front, X.0 Triggers ; Thomson seatpost; Shimano M545 Pedals; WTB Laser V.

Submitted by 1Oldman a Cross Country Rider from Los Alamos, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Well, I swapped the stock fork before purchasing and I have been pleased with the suspension.

Weaknesses:    It is heavy and I've had a lot of problems with the chain getting sucked up behind the crank. I've probably gone through half a dozen chains in the 3 years I've been riding it. My current wrench suggests it might be a design flaw. Anybody heard anything about recalls.

Bottom Line:
Does anybody know if K2 has issued a recall? It's hard to have anything positive to say about a system that eats a chain nearly everytime (it seems) I need a power stroke to climb a steep.

Favorite Trail:   Pajaritio Mtn.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   None, this is the first full suspension I've owned. All hard tails and non suspension bikes before.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Marzocchi Bomber front suspension.

Submitted by Chad a Weekend Warrior from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    This bike came with good components, pretty much all around for the most part.

Weaknesses:    Wheels, and it would be nice to have a rear shock that was more adjustable. Not a huge deal though. Also, the chain was junk.

Bottom Line:
I have beat the hell out of this bike for 2 years. The stock wheels held up good for about a year, but I tacoed the front, bent my bars, broke my break lever, and did my collar bone in all a the same time, so I had to buy all new stuff. The way it is set up right now, it is pretty heavy, but I dont know any better, because this was my first real mountain bike. The fork and shock both allow 5 inches of wheel travel, and they handle drops up to about 5 feet pretty well. The rear end started squeeking about 6 months ago, and all I had to do to stop it was tighten a few things up. In stock form, it might be a pretty decent XC bike, but they way mine it set up now, probably not. It is a good all around bike that can take a good beating.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Pile of a hardtail, and a K2 Attack 2.0

Bike Setup:   Loco wheelset, Campus peddals, new break levers, (all 3 are made by Forte) 2.4 WTB tires, thorn proof tubes, SRAM Chain, over sized Lizard Skin clamp ons, and Crowbars

Submitted by Christian a Weekend Warrior from Scituate, MA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2007

Strengths:    Great bike for the money, decent components, has held up fairly well.

Weaknesses:    Middle chain ring bent, not sure how. Brakes squeak, need to keep the rotors ultra clean. Make sure you zip tie the rear brake cable, or it will start to rub on the tire.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike at a year end sale, and had a 20% off coupon, so I couldn't pass this up. My previous bike was a hardtail with regular brakes, it's nice to have a full suspension and disc brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Wompatuck

Purchased At:   EMS

Bike Setup:   Stock, Crank Bros Candy clipless pedals

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    Best Bang for your buck. Rear coilover works well both uphill & down hill with adjustment to desired give. Front suspension is adequate considering the price point. Frame is well built after the abuse it's taken. Disc brakes for a low cost bike.

Weaknesses:    Out of the gate, the breaks squeal. Front suspension could have better adjustment capabilities. Rear derailer has given me a few problems, have spent multiple hours maintaining it for proper work (maybe time to upgrade). Front of bike is a bit low for my taste (gives me lower back pain). Chain sucks up over chainstay when going to smaller chainring (same as others). Mis-shifts of front derailer caused middle chainring to bend (Performance replaced free of charge). After hard trail portion/dropdown/jumping, rear cable would catch over seat height adjuster and caused braking problems (zip tied cable to frame). Wheel brackets came apart during hard use, Performance rebuilt one and replaced the other (free of charge).

Bottom Line:
Went to my local "Supergo" store before they became "Performance" during their inventory liquidation of '05 models. I would highly recommend this approach. This is my first all suspension bike purchased, before this I had no suspension whatsoever. Went w/ the medium sized frame (I'm 5 ft 10).

Still have the squealing problem with the disc brakes, going to try some maintenance to avoid replacement. Also would need to upgrade to clip-in pedals. Not something I would expect standard in this price point.

All in all, I am very happy with the bike. It is a well-rounded unit & has performed fairly well, given the abuse I have put it through this past year & a half.

Real bottom line - I would buy it again. The price point more than makes up for the problems I have had with it. Happy hunting.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch, Orange County

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Bike Setup:   Stock. Crank was replaced via Performance.

Submitted by Brian C a Cross Country Rider from pheonix az

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2007

Strengths:    Rear shock and frame design. The moto raptor tires are excellent also, they lasted alot of miles and held up great
on rough AZ trails.

Weaknesses:    Front shock could be a little better (manitou splice elite)
but it is still holding up after several trips down national trail! The wheels that came on this bike are not strong enough
for a 6 4 240lb rider.

Bottom Line:
Nothing in this price range compare to this bike!! It rides as good as alot of $2500 bike I have ridden. Other then the weak wheels.This is a great bike for a clydesdale rider like myself
sure it is a little heavy but at my size I am more concerned with strength and this bike is strong!!

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Purchased At:   go

Similar Products Used:   All 5 inch travel bikes

Bike Setup:   x7 rear,Fox coil over rear, x7 shifters,wtb moto raptors

Submitted by Felipe Neira a Cross Country Rider from Quito, PI, Ecuador

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight 32 lb, nice geometry, suspensions are great, it doesnt bounce at all on the way up...

Weaknesses:    None seen till now

Bottom Line:
Incredible great bike!!! just love riding it

Purchased At:   amazon/randall scott

Bike Setup:   rock shocks tora 302 and bar 2.1, kayes sole, sram x7//// this is k2 lithium 3.0 2006 model

Submitted by Zero Dean a Weekend Warrior from Santa Monica, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2006

Strengths:    As an intermediate rider, this bike has been able to take anything I've thrown at it.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike (medium frame) after doing a lot of bargain & comparison shopping. I wanted a quality full-suspension bike, but didn't want to break the bank to get one.

Before I started looking, I didn't even know K2 made bikes... I wanted a Cannondale or maybe some other major name brand.

I was leery of buying a brand I hadn't heard of ("K2 makes skis, not bikes!", I thought), but I ultimately settled on this one because 1) It was a good deal (the price was right), 2) The bike looked cool, 3) The components and frame looked like they were put together well 4) I really liked the way it felt when I test-road it 5) Nothing else in this price range could match it on any level (IMO).

I got this bike on clearance (2005 model) from my local Supergo just before they became Performance Bikes. It retails for around $1200, and I got it for $700. Well worth every penny.

I convinced my girlfriend 2 weeks later to pick up the same bike (small frame) after I got a special coupon on the clearance item (she got hers for $600).

I'm not a stunt rider, but I ride pretty hard and fall occasionally. This bike has been able to take everything I've thrown at it. It is now muddy and scratched, but it rides well and I love it.

My girlfriend, with the same bike, feels the same way. We're both very happy with the purchase.

Please note, this is my first full-suspension bike. Although I test-road other bikes, I really don't have much to compare it with.

Still, I don't think any intermediate rider can go wrong with this bike if they're looking for a good general all-purpose mountain bike.

And when a component breaks, you always have the option of upgrading to something more expensive.

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack!

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Bike Setup:   *2005* Model

Submitted by Killer B a Racer from Horse Shoe, NC

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2005

Strengths:    Good quality, weight=32lbs, NO rear suspension bob, even while standing & pedalling

Weaknesses:    none so far, unless it's the Hayes MX2 brakes. They're even working fine for now.

Bottom Line:
@ $510 I couldn't lose. I would recommend this bike to anyone wanting a great deal from a great bike company.
I've owned 3 K2 bikes now, and all of them have been great bikes!!!!

Purchased At:   eBAY

Similar Products Used:   Haro Xtreme X2, K2 Flyin' Monkey, others I own....

Bike Setup:   Already changed the tires for some light weight P'racer Fire Mud Pro's, and added the custom front fender & Lizard SkinZ fork boots. Also my clipless pedals.

Submitted by Brett Wolmarans a Weekend Warrior from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, nice sizing in the L

Weaknesses:    weight, rear shock

Bottom Line:
The fox spring is simple and effective but very heavy, at leas the 700 pounds spring is. This spring seemed too heavy for my weight, 220 pounds. I bunnyhopped off a 1 foot drop and probably got 4 inches out of the 5 inch travel. And I wouldn't want to drop anything bigger on this frame anyway. The XL size of this bike was built the 800 pounds spring, I'm 220 and I couldn't get that to move even an inch bunnyhopping. We hung the L size on the scale and it came to 34 pounds. Yup, the shop guy couldn't believe it either. On the plus side, in my demo ride the sram 7 shifters, front and rear de'rs were surpsingly smooth and fast.

Favorite Trail:   Los Robles or Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   nothing this cheap

Bike Setup:   exr fork, fox vannilla spring 700 pounds

Submitted by eman a Weekend Warrior from cali

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    price, rear shock, geometry( personal prefrence), great handling

Weaknesses:    seems to be a little loose, it almost jitters

Bottom Line:
i like it a lot over the rincon, but theyre 1000$ MSRP diffrence. after i bought this i saw that costco carries a brand called Fezzari, and at $850 it has better parts that this. but still,its decent,im happy for now

Favorite Trail:   fullerton loop

Purchased At:   go

Similar Products Used:   i had a giant rincon for a month before i upgraded to this

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Leslie Perry a Weekend Warrior from Keaau, Hawaii, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2004

Strengths:    Bike suspension geometry,little pedal bob even though I am a large rider, the Fox shock works great for a simple design. I also like The Hayes dics brakes. Love the K2 pipeclamp grips.

Weaknesses:    The Marzocchi fork is not adjustable enough for my tastes. Deore shifters (should at least come with LX). Rear der. should also be LX.

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike after riding a hardtail for the past seven years and this bike just rides great. It soaks up bumps pretty good and I didn't feel any loss of pedal power through the suspension. There are better bikes out there but this bike performs well for the price. It is a good all around performer. The only things more that I would change would be the fork to a more adjustable fork and the crank to a Race Face crank. I think this bike would be good for anyone who is looking for a first full suspension bike.

Purchased At:   Hilo Bike Hub

Similar Products Used:   I rode my friend's Giant NRS 1. The K2 wasn't as good as the NRS, but for $700 more in price than the K2 it better be.

Bike Setup:   The only things I changed on the bike was the shifters to LX and the front and back der. to XT.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from HIllsboro, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    rear shock (fox vanilla R), Grips (K2 Pipeclamp)and the brakes (Hayes MX2 mechanical disc)

Weaknesses:    the marzocchi EXR pro fork feels a little spongey. It works as advertised and soakes up bumps but I would like to have a little stiffer front suspension on a bike as tall as the lithium.

Bottom Line:
This bike can do a little of everything pretty well but nothing really really well. It feels a little tall on steep or sustained climbs. At 30 pounds its to heavy to race. It has to much travel for you hardcore cross country rider and not enough for downhill buddies. Now that being said if your like almost everyone else on the planet, and just like to have fun this bike will take a beating all day long. The K2 lithium 3.0 is easy on the back and easy on the wallet.

Favorite Trail:   none