Jamis Dakar XCR Pro XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 24.25 lbs MSRP : $3289.99

The Dakar XCR Pro isThe gold standard in cross country race design.The main frame, stays, and bell crank are comprised of high modulus carbon.The 2011 version ofThe DCR features a weight reduction, more supple suspensionTravel, better hook- up andTrail-Tacking handle precision.The XCR utilizes multi- link suspension design (MP3) which was designedTo shed weight and maintain a low center of gravity forTight cornering. Asymmetrical chainstays provide better lateral stiffness, excellent chai

Submitted by Sheranodrider a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    Very able climber, very stable at low speeds in tight, technical stuff.

Weaknesses:    Very heavy.

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike. I can do things on this bike that I could not do on my K2. However, the K2 is an extra large (21 inches) frame whereas this frame is 19 inches. The K2 excelled at long, wide-open down hills and non technical courses. The Jamis excels at technical, steep climbs. I cannot bust the Jamis wide-open on long downhills because I feel like I might lose control. During long rides the bike is very comfortable. Perhaps the 21 inch frame would have been better but then I might lose the technical aspects. Also, there is a huge weight penalty for this bike. During races I can feel the weight affecting my ability.

Favorite Trail:   Sherando Lake

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   K2 razorback Team

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mathew waghorn a Racer from feilding manawatu new zealand

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2008

Strengths:    smooth shifting, very fast on the downhill. looks

Weaknesses:    weight. my 08 carbon version is just under 12.5kg

Bottom Line:
very smooth along the ground. riding across farm land feels like the road. pretty much loving it at the moment. looks very nive, professional.

Favorite Trail:   ridgeline wellington

Purchased At:   crankit cycles

Similar Products Used:   2006 specialized epic pro

Bike Setup:   standard 2008 except xtr dual control shifters.

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs so well, goes down hill very smoothly and feels very stable. I love the XTR components, they shift so fast. This bike is very much a XC ride, not an all mountain ride, so if you're looking for the best XC experience this is it.

Weaknesses:    I wish the rear shock locked out 100% but to be honest it's not a big deal because I can barely notice it. I like the Juicy 7 brakes on my 2.0 more than the brakes on my XC Pro but they're still great brakes.

Bottom Line:
The only thing I love more than this bike is my wife. That's it. This bike is the best mt bike I have ever ridden. I tested the Blur, a Rocky Mt, a Specialized, a Fisher etc. The bikes those companies had with the same specs the Jamis had were $2000 more than what I paid. I don't know how Jamis made money on this bike because it so much bike for the price. I will be a Jamis fan for years to come. I now own two Jamis bikes and my wife has one and I can't imagine buying any other brand in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Crest trail

Purchased At:   Highlander Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized 1999 FSR stumpjumper, Jamis 2005 2.0

Bike Setup:   Factory.

Submitted by Jason P a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2008

Strengths:    Where do I begin. This bike climbs better than anything I have ever ridden. There is no flex in the corners and does not bottom out in dips. It is pretty light weight and man oh man do I love this new bike. Jamis company reps are great as well.

Weaknesses:    None so far unless you use 2 water bottles (bottom cage only one usable ). Lack of a local dealer.

Bottom Line:
You cannot beat this bike for the money. It is well made, good components from the factory. If you are an XC racer you won't lose because of the bike I guarantee that. Jamis reps are simply great.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Purchased At:   Jamis Warrenty Replacement

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XC pro 2005, Specialized Epic, Giant NRS-1

Bike Setup:   Jamis XCR pro frame, manitou R7 Platinum, Shimano tubeless, Titec pluto carbon bars, seatpost, SRAM X.0 everything, Hutchinson new gen pythons in summer, continentinals in winter

Submitted by Dave from Federal Way, WA USA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2007

Strengths:    Redesigned 2007 frame is stronger and lighter than previous generation Dakars. I originally had a 2006 Jamis Dakar Comp, but ended up with the 2007 Jamis Dakar Pro frame as a replacement. Most frames are made for racers under 200. I'm 40+ lbs over that and broke the chain stays on the old frame twice. On the 2nd time, Phil's South Side Cyclery worked hard with the Jamis Warranty guys to get me a better set up. Phil ended up paying a bit out of his pocket and Jamis incorporated the upgrades, but they have a satisfied customer.

Weaknesses:    None so far, the 2007 model frame is holding up to my 240 lbs.

Bottom Line:
Very nice frame and Fox Rear Shock. Excellent base for future upgrades (still have some "comp" components).

I have the Juicy 5's on this bike, and Juicy 7's on my hardtail. Awesome brakes for modulation ...

I've been quite satisfied with the Dakar line of bikes. For 2008, it looks like the PRO is now the Expert. The 2007 Frame I'm referring to is Kinesium Aluminum alloy. In 2007, this was the top of the line package. In 2008, there are two new composite frames for the top end bikes. Jamis, like Specialized, Giant, Trek and other top brand bikes does stand by their frames when the break. I've raced my bike some and do see all the brands coming in with problems when pushed to the limits. The number one problem, broken composite seatposts. Get a Thompson Aluminum seat post for safety.

Favorite Trail:   Dash Point State Park

Purchased At:   Phil's South Side Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   LBS owner let me use his Dakar XLT 1.0 while mine was being fixed. It was a nice bike with a longer travel which was nice, but I do like how well the XC and XCR's climb up hills.
Prior to the Jamis, I rode an old Specialized Rockhopper Hardtail with a 100mm fork. Hardtails are not "similar".

Bike Setup:   As mentioned this is a mix of a '06 comp and a '07 Pro
- Fox Float RP3 shock w/ Pro Pedal 90mm
- manitou R7 Fork w/ rebound adjust 100 mm
- Mavic XM117 Rims
Upgraded 32 rear spokes to DT swiss
- Deore Hubs
- WTB Velociraptor Tires (F & R specific) 2.1"
- SRAM X-9 Rear Derailleur
- Mix SRAM X-7 & X-9 shifters
- SRAM front Derailleur
- Juicy 5 ... 6" Disc Brakes
- Truvativ FireX Team Crankset
- Bottom Bracket? (Original Giga - X replaced with new
unit which has held up longer than orginal).
- Monkey Lite 1.5" riser EA70 (replaced original)
- Thompson Elite Tiltback Seatpost
(OEM Easton EA30 Seatpost died)
- EA30 Stem (so so ... want Hope Stem as replacement)
- WTB Pure V Race Saddle
(awesome saddle, ripped original and replaced ....look
for the kevlar version)
- FSA Bashgaurd (lots of logs in Pac. Northwest Woods)

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2007

Strengths:    The entire build kit is top of the line: Shimano XTR group and Fox's best suspension make this thing light, sturdy and very fast. The frame is solid and tracks extremely well at high speeds. I'm surprised you don't see more of them on the trail??

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Again, not a better bike on the market for the money. It climbs like a goat and descends through switch backs and rough downhill sections like no other.

Favorite Trail:   Buttermilk

Purchased At:   Goodlys

Similar Products Used:   I've owned many (Cannodale, Trek, Santa Cruz, Gary Fisher, K2, etc.) and I can honestly say this is the best CC bike I've ridden AND you absolutely CANNOT get a better bike for the money. Heck, the build kit is worth $4K alone.

Bike Setup:   XTR everywhere with Fox 23 rear and 100 in the front, Easton carbon bars and post. Mavic Crossmax rims - it's spec. - see the website.

Submitted by Jason Pate a Racer from Memphis, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    The MP3 suspension works great. No bob, stiff, light, tight. What other bike can you get that has these specs for this kind of price. The bike is just that good. Jamis customer service and warranty. They will do you right, trust me.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
The price for a bike this responsive and with this quality is unbeatable. The spec bike is race ready right out of the box. The pedal efficency is superior to any bike I have ridden (FS).

Did I mention no bob. No banging your pedals in corners or big drops as the new MP3 suspension does the trick.

The red on this bike is slick. Nice job Jamis.

I just can't say enough good things about the folks at Jamis and this bike. Thanks again J Pate

Favorite Trail:   Any I can ride today

Purchased At:   Jamis

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XC pro 2005

Bike Setup:   Titec carbon all around, sram X.0 drivetrain , hollowpin chain, mavic wheelset.

Submitted by Bob taylor a Cross Country Rider from Phoenicia NY, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Strengths:    Full 2007 XTR group, Fox top of line suspension, Speced just as I would spec a bike, efficient and responsive. Light weight. Great Deal even retail for what you get.

Weaknesses:    None yet, there are a lot of adjustments for the fox suspension system but once dialed in, it will be great. came with an Easton EA-70 stem, yeah thats right this is all i can come up with so far its just that sweet.
Lust tires are fast but not too grippy.

Bottom Line:
for the value there is nothing better on the market. i just dont know how Jamis does it to build complete bikes with the best of the best componentry for less than average cost. If you are into endurance racing/riding or just have an attitude that the best gear will make you faster, go for the jamis because at least you didnt get ripped off in the process.

Favorite Trail:   Jockey Hill

Purchased At:   EMPLOYEE PURCHASE

Similar Products Used:   None used, but similar designs include Gary fisher and iron horse.

Bike Setup:   FULL XTR, Crossmax SLR, Fox RP23 shock, fox 100mm 32 series fork RLC, carbon bars and seat post, all stock
weighs in at just over 24 lbs

Anyone heard anything about the Jamis Dakar XCR 29 Pro?

I'm taking a serious look at this guy and I wanted to hear anyone's impressions. Reviews are nearly non-existent out there on the interweb. It looks like it could be a serious competitor to the Superfly 100 or S-Works Epic. Thanks [IMG]http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/images/bikes_enlarg ... Read More »

does 09 Jamis Dakar XCR Pro have ISCG tabs?

I am looking at buying a used '09 Jamis Dakar XCR Pro (carbon fiber) and am considering putting a Hammerschmidt crank on it as an upgrade. The 2009 & 2010 Dakar XAM II comes with Hammerschmidt installed, but I cannot find any info online to determine if the Dakar comes with ISCG03 or ISCG05 tabs... ... Read More »

I bought the Jamis dakar XCR pro

and will pick it:thumbsup: up next friday. I rode the shop owners edition and liked it alot. In my size 19 the bike should wieghs 25 1/2 pounds. To go lighter would require another frame because the parts are killer. I also go a good deal on the price. Whats not to like to like.Read More »