Jamis Dakar XCR Expert XC Full Suspension

4.77/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 27.50 lbs MSRP : $699.99

The XCR Expert's MP³ multi-link suspension design is optimizedTo shed weight and has a low center of gravity forTight and fast cornering.The 10mm shock hardware increases lateral &Torsional stiffness and enhancesThe rear shock's durability and performance. Kinesium alloy mainTriangle, 7005 seat & chanstays100mmTravel mp3 linkage designFox FLOAT RP2 Shock, 10mm hardware73mm bottom bracket shell1 1/8” headtube31.8 seat post diameterWeight: 6.5lbs (15")

Submitted by AndyFOTW a Cross Country Rider from Hinesburg, VT

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, Price, Value, Geometry

Weaknesses:    Wheelset, Cable Rub, Paint, Riding more aggressive/FR trails and features

Bottom Line:
This is a great XC trail bike. It's light, nimble and fast going up and down, really excels in smooth, flat, and windy singletrack and technical climbs. Does not do so well at drops, freeride terrain and fast, steep downhill terrain as it has aggressive XC geometry and too little travel to take a lot of downhill abuse. If you are looking for a really fun first full-suspension bike or ride mostly XC trails that don't involve aggressive all-mountain terrain while descending, this bike is for you. Very fun for most trails in VT, besides bigger features in Waterbury and Hinesburg. This bike no longer fits my riding style, but it is excellent for its intended use.

Favorite Trail:   The Preacher

Purchased At:   Alpine Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock XT, Mavic Crossmax wheelset (broke stock rear hub in first month riding rocky downhill terrain, wheelset just sucked)

Submitted by whirly a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Strengths:    Solid setup, geometry, suspension works great

Weaknesses:    the paint chips off a bit in a few places

Bottom Line:
when i was looking at buying a bike i had narrowed it down to either a giant anthem or the jamis, they were both about the same price.. in the end I went with the bike shop theat would give me the best service... but this bike is wicked..goes up and down the hills great... 2 mates have giant reigns and I can leave them in my dust on the way down even though ive got less travel, the geometey is spot on rails the corners. Gets me up the tech climbs that used to have me walking flick the propedel on there's no bob.
There is no excusses with this bike the only thing holding you back is yourself !!

Similar Products Used:   this is my first fully, but riden a few of my mates bikes... giant trance reign and anthem , specialised epic. etc

Bike Setup:   the stock tires were fast for the summer but once winter came had to swap then out for something with a bit more rubber. xtr pedels.. it comes with full XT the only thing I might upgrade in the future is the wheels.

Submitted by NE_fsrxc a Cross Country Rider from Boston N. Shore, MA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    2007 model frame only: Very well constructed. Stiff and strong but they managed to keep the weight very reasonable. Very efficient suspension setup. RP2 shock is good but could use a RP23. Very well balanced ride, stable in turns and climbs like a freak!

Weaknesses:    Crazy place to put the bottle cage. Seems like a downright afterthought. I almost lose my bottle taking it out because my hand catches on the front tire. Requires too much focus to grab your bottle while trying to steer. Also, funky setup for the front derailleur. Requires a modified hex wrench to access the bolt because of the suspension pivot getting in the way.

Bottom Line:
I think Jamis is underrated. This bike has surprised me on the few times I've taken it out. Its confidence inspiring on downhills for an XC machine...and well..confidence inspiring on the climbs too! It corners wonderfully and I don't feel there is a particular imbalance. Never feels like the front end is loose. Very efficient suspension setup. Next to know bob. Hard accelerations result in speed! Hammer up hills and you'll drop your friends! Can't wait to race this thing this season....5 chilis for value, 4 over all because of cage and front der. thinking.

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker Forrest

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse Azure, Specialized FSRxc, Specialized Stumpjumper HT

Bike Setup:   My own build. XTR drivetrain. XTR STI brakes/levers. American Classic MTB wheels. FSA cockpit and seatpost. WTB Shadow V saddle. Kenda Karma rubbers. Race setup, comes in just under 25lbs. Not sure why others get 27-29lb. setups. I could go even lighter.

Submitted by Hanz426b a Cross Country Rider from College Station, Tx

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2008

Strengths:    Great stiff frame, feels laterally sound, RP2 on this frame feels like it costs twice as much, and the fork feels like butta. A light XC full suspension right out of the box.

Weaknesses:    WTB... the silverado saddle popped off the rails 15 minutes into the first trail. weirwolf lock-ons turned to goo in like a month. replaced with a specialized BG and Origin8 lock-ons. XM317's a bit heavy, put an XT wheelset on and lost a good bit of weight.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that you cant get a better quality components, you can get lighter, but you'd have give a left nut. Amazing bike

Favorite Trail:   The Next one

Purchased At:   BCS Bicycles- E. Pur

Similar Products Used:   Giant VT2, Specialized Rockhopper FSR, this is the best full susp. I have ever owned.

Bike Setup:   Stock except EC70 seatpost, stem and bar. Saddle, grips,EBC resin pads, and now tubeless xt wheelet. just over 25 pounds

Submitted by Kevin Gallagher a Weekend Warrior from Clemmons, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    Wow! this bike is a total bargain. Full XT with no shortcuts on a great frame can't be beat.

Weaknesses:    The wheelset is a little heavy with sluggish accelerating compared to my old crossmax wheels.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike available at this price point. No one else even comes close.

Favorite Trail:   dark mountain trails

Purchased At:   Cycletherapy in Lewisville, NC

Similar Products Used:   I test rode a Kona, a Titus, and a Specialized

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Nat a Racer from Forest Hills, NY

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Strengths:    - Great value for the 2008 model
- Stock with a well balanced build kit

Weaknesses:    - This bike seems to be a tad on the heavy side for a full suspension cross country bike at a tad over 27 pounds for a 15 inch, but then again that's not bad for $2500.
- Minor complaint with regards to the horizontal bracing on the rear swing arm. This seems to be a perfect shelf for collecting mud.

Bottom Line:
I always dreamed of getting a full suspension bike and riding on the road when its below freezing sucks so I bought the 2008 Jamis Dakar Expert as motivation to end my off season hiatus. Its been a little while since I've been on a mountain bike since I discovered road racing/biking, but I found my passion for two wheeled suffering back in college on an aluminum hard tail I built up which I rode all over.

The 2008 expert comes stock with a full XT kit including the new shadow rear derailleur and hydraulic disc brakes. This stuff is definitely a step up from circa 2000 LX/XT stuff I was riding on back in college. The low profile shadow derailleur not only looks nice but seems to be functional with nice crisp shifts and kind of reminds me of the nice precise shifts of my Record grouppos in conjunction with the XT Rapidfire shifters that came with the bike. I seem to be picking up less debris in my derailleur than back in the old days where I had to stop every 200 feet or so to dislodge a hitch hiker jammed up in there. Could it be the benefits of copying SRAM?

Still messing around with the suspension setup. Read the instructions that came with Fox RL32 fork and RP2 rear shock and couldn't figure them out. Adopted the tried and true trial and error approach and am running 125 psi in the rear and 110 psi in the front to soften the blows on my flyweight 130 pound body with usually 35 psi in the tires depending on if I remember to pump them up. Seems to work on the semi-technical single track I ride on.

Quick side note... Bought a Arione since that fits my bottom nicely. However ended up keeping the stock WTB speedster once I figured out it was comfortable after all. I think this is the first stock saddle that I ever kept on a bike.

How does it ride? The Dakar rides nicely I suppose. Tracks well and only bobbed excessively when I ran the pressure too low on the rear shock. I was surprised out how sloppy I could ride without eating crap. Taking the best line was purely optional as the suspension was willing to forgive my poor bike handling skills and lack of finesse. Hitting dips at stupid speeds which would have caused me to endo on my hardtail were no longer posed a problem. Just sitting and spinning was the secret to getting up steep/technical inclines as the rear wheel seems to like keeping itself planted.

All and all not bad. Very glad I bought this bike as I think it helped me rediscover the virtues of mountain biking. Maybe I'll take a shot at racing this thing or doing an endurance event or two this year.

If you end up getting this bike, do yourself a favor and ditch the plastic cable guide tabs and use zip ties instead.

Bike Setup:   Left my Dakar Expert pretty much stock with the exception of a Stan's NoTube Kit. At this point can't really justify changing anything else on the current setup.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Milltown, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2007

Strengths:    Agile, Solid, Bargain

Weaknesses:    Gears skip when a lot of torque is applied, but take with a grain of salt since I also ride a Single Speeder and probably forgot how to shift properly.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike! I bought the bike since all I do is XC ride, but recently went on a trip to NC and did some AM riding with it and it handled excelently! I recommend this bike to anyone who is value minded and wants to get a well built bike with a lot of agility. It performs the same as all the exotics and boutique bikes out there but at less than half the price and with very good components. It is a bit heavier than other bikes of similar build, but only a bit, so if you are a racer or weight-watcher this might be somewhat disappointing; however, for those who want to ride fast and enjoy the agility of a fast ride at a really good price, this is your bike. AM riders should also consider a different bike with a heavier build. Buy it! You will not regret it!

Favorite Trail:   Oleta River State Park

Purchased At:   Active Cycles

Similar Products Used:   '02 Marin Hawk Hill (my beginner bike); '07 Jamis Exile 29'er SS

Bike Setup:   Stock, but might change out headset for a Chris King and seat-post to a Thomson laid-back (cockpit feels a bit cramped)

Submitted by dave eklund a Cross Country Rider from san jose, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    Ideal XC Full Suspension ride. Great climber, and a point and shoot downhiller

Weaknesses:    Wheelset, and I'm not a big fan of the Easton 50 series component pkg. Cabling required some zip-ties to keep from moving around. I wish the overall pkg. was lighter, but then again, who doesn't want a lighter ride???

Bottom Line:
Came from a hard-tail w/ an old school Marz. Bomber fork. This new ride climbs incredibly well when the fork and rear shock are fully rigid. It's unbelievable!!! It floats like a Cadillac downhill and absorbs a variety of bump and rut sizes. The Juicy disc brakes have awesome modulation and amazing stopping power. No bike compares in value for the amazing setup

Favorite Trail:   sierra azule/priest rock

Purchased At:   University Bikes - Austin, TX

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump. FSR Elite, Giant Anthem 1, Santa Cruz Superlite, Marin Rift Zone, Haro Sonix S, Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe

Bike Setup:   Changed handlebar & stems to a Race Face brand: lighter & stronger. Added handlebar ends, and upgraded to a Terry seat w/ Ti rails.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Nacogdoches, TX

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Super stiff frame. Full '07 Shimano XT (incredible feel with a majorly noticable difference over '06 XT) Avid juicy 5's are improved over last year's and work excellent. The FOX fork is superb and the RP2 shock is improved in my opinon over the RP3 in respect to the propedal. Easton components are nice. Comes with great WTB locking grips and Crankbrother Candy C pedals. Mavic 317's have held up nicely so far. Others say that they are a little heavy, but I will gladly trade weight for durability. Great weight balance and low center of gravity. Jamis quality and customer service is a plus.

Weaknesses:    Clearance for 2.35's are good side to side but the chainstay support bracket gives very little clearance to crown of tire. As mentioned by others, some cables will need to be zip-tied in place. On '07 21.5" frames, the front derailleur cable bung is placed to high on seat tube and causes the cable to hit seat stay. Had to tape up the seat stay to keep the cable from damaging the aluminum and paint. Jamis acknowledged the problem and told me that they will send me a new frame when they arrive.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an excellent value. Compared to any other bikes I have owned or ridden, this bike is truly my favorite(and I'm not just saying that because of the money I've spent on it). Items like the saddle and pedals are so much of a personal preference that I don't consider those items when I compare a bike. I do consider the fact that Jamis puts a quality saddle and pedals on the bike and still offers it at a great price. Jamis could be like Trek and put heavy Bontrager components that I don't much like on every part of their bikes. This bike is stiffer laterally than my Trek hardtail, which I find amazing, and has almost no pedal induced bob. There is no lateral play in the suspension which is one of the major reasons the suspension works so well. The main considerations I used when I chose this biek were the way it was spec'd and the review that MTB Action did on it in Feb. '07. They really didn't have anything bad to say about the bike and I don't either. Unless you are an absolute weight weenie(in which case you should be buying the Dakar XCR Pro anyway) I don't think you can go wrong with this bike. I give it 5 Chilis both ways.

Favorite Trail:   San Angelo State Park, TX

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop, Nacogdoches

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ Kenda Nevegal 2.35's, Terry Liberator saddle, CrankBrothers Mallet C pedals

Submitted by Paul Mays a Cross Country Rider from Mooroolbark,Vic,Australia

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2007

Strengths:    Frame and the specs, Jamis Frames are so tuff and this takes it to the next level

Weaknesses:    Wheel Set, And front bars

Bottom Line:
Great Great bike Pro Pedal works so well and it handles like a dream on the single tracks, For the price your getting an awsome deal. I love the crank bro pedals never gave them a shot b4 but may stick with them now. The hole back of the bike fells so light like you not even riding a dule susp

Favorite Trail:   My Secret

Purchased At:   $3000

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar XC comp, Giant Trance, 07 GT idrive

Bike Setup:   As it came at the moment, Prob change over to crossmax SLR rims and change the front bar's and stem over to carbon to shed the wieght

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider from Asheville

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    Dakar design is RESPONSIVE, Super well balanced, feels very light in the front and rear, Fox spec'd front and rear are very nice, Juicy 5's are nice as well

Weaknesses:    Bottle cage placement and cable/hose routing requires some zip-ties

Bottom Line:
What a great looking and great riding bike! Jamis nailed it with this latest Dakar design revision. It's unfortunate this requires the bottle cage to be underneath the down tube, but the new design is STIFF and handles like a dream. Going through switchbacks or rooty/rocky sections the front and rear go where you want. You can throw the tail around with ease and the front end just goes where you put it! The Fox RP2 is a very nice that gets you the Pro Predal feature at a lesser price. Pro Pedal is very nice on the climbs. Of course the full XT is very nice. The wheels could be lighter I guess, but I think the bike feels light on the trail.

IMO Jamis defines value - Thanks Jamis!!

Favorite Trail:   last one