Jamis Dakar XCR Comp XC Full Suspension

• Saddle: WTB Rocket V Comp with SL top and steel rails
  • Grips: WTB MotoTec clamp-on

Submitted by nolefan a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    Light and great up hill

Weaknesses:    Riding down hill you dont know what you're going to get a broken chainstay or frame. I've had this bike less then a year and snapped two chain stays and my frame in half. My first big drop bent both rims and froze my rear hub. I upgraded rims, hubs, and tires now I'm breaking the frame.

Bottom Line:
Jamis does not warranty any labor on bike. Count on fixing something every time you ride. This bike is a waste of money, save up and buy something nice. THIS BIKE IS JUNK!!!

Favorite Trail:   ToysRus and city park

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Jamis eureka

Bike Setup:   351 reacon rock shock with fox r float in rear... Xt derailleurs front and rear... Mavic 823 tubeless with hope 2 hubs. slx crank

Submitted by Roman a Racer from Krasnoyarsk, Russia

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Good price, worthy components, lightweight, multiple-purpose.

Weaknesses:    This bike don't like any agressive rides. Stiffness of the frame is not the best for a XC racing bike.

Bottom Line:
Reliable bike for fast driving on russian roads, and even for XC racing competitions. After 3 years of pure fun I can strongly recommend Dakar XCR for accurate & quick riders.

Purchased At:   Trial-sport

Bike Setup:   Fi'zi:k Tundra saddle and 1.95" tyres

Submitted by hudson a Cross Country Rider from austin

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Works great for the first week, after that dont take and big drops

Weaknesses:    Chain stay, I've been through three in less then a year

Bottom Line:
I live in austin,tx..... No big mountains around here, all XC and some small down hill. I am 175 pounds with all my gear on. I've been through three chain stay in less then a year. Something new breaks every week. This bike is for the weak!!!! DO NOT BUY, WAIST OF MONEY! Spend the money for something better

Favorite Trail:   greenbelt and 360

Purchased At:   jenson.usa

Bike Setup:   rock shock recon with hope 2 hubs and tubeless tires on 823 mavic's xtr front and rear derailleur

Submitted by montanacana a Cross Country Rider from Missoula,MT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    So much bike for the money! Rides with the $3000 bikes for half the price!

Weaknesses:    Mix of great components and some "just ok" components. Room for upgrades.

Bottom Line:
This bike is so much bike for the money! It climbs like its lighter than it is, the geometry is perfect for the climbs, but turn it downhill at 30mph and the thing is like a 2 wheeled porche! I reluctantly upgraded from my trusty but super nicely outfitted hradtail (which I still have and ride) and couldn't be happier. If you are a serious rider on a thin budget, this is the bike for you. If you are a yar bra gaer head who likes to show off his gear this is too good a value for you.

Favorite Trail:   Bitterroot resort

Similar Products Used:   Gary fasher Marlin Disk Highly upgraded

Bike Setup:   100% stock right now

Submitted by 2moremiles a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2008

Strengths:    Arguably the best spec/cost ratio
Comfortable position
Good climber for a heavy (29 Lbs) XC bike
Handles tight twisty single-track well
Good all arounder

Weaknesses:    Long throw shifts with Shimano Lx
Where do you add air to the SRAM Recon fork?
After 1,000 miles of middle aged man riding, the right chain stay fractured completely through just behind the weld

Bottom Line:
Thumbs up till the chain stay broke. I suspect Jamis will honor the warranty. If they don't I'll post.

Family Bike-John and his team are great.

Favorite Trail:   Rosaryville

Purchased At:   Family Bike

Similar Products Used:   I've been a road rider the last 15 years and an occasional MB renter. Mountain Biking has a larger grin factor!
Rented:
Trek Fuel 7 -
Haro - mid level XC

Both fine

Bike Setup:   Stock except for tire changes

Submitted by Lane Wildfong a Racer from Buckley Mi USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    Bike floats like butterfly Stings like bee.Brakes shocks it all fits soo nice killer down hiller

Weaknesses:    water bottle holder on lower part of frame. but if you ride it fast you dont have time to drink any how!!!

Bottom Line:
It was worth having my wife pi!!! off if you know what i mean this is my first fully and i love it it is fast and light smooth as silk great bike for cost.climbs like my hardtail. will review in spring..

Favorite Trail:   North country

Purchased At:   Grand Traverse Cycle

Similar Products Used:   spec fsr,Fisher HI fi,ferrazi alta pro

Bike Setup:   stocker

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Decent spec for the price. Pedal efficiency is awesome, climbs as well as my hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Nothing has given me a problem yet.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is my 1st dually and I don't regret a thing about purchasing this bike. You can't beat it for the price. Giant Trance is probably as good spec overall, but they are very similar.

I can't fault it. Maybe I will re-review after 12 months, but so far so good.

Favorite Trail:   Glenrock, Killingworth

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Cardiff Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Trance, NRS, Trek EX5

Bike Setup:   Stock standard, Manitou R7 Super fork, Fox Float R Shock, Juicy 3 brakes, XT Rear derailleur, LX shifters, full spec at jamisbikes.com

2008 Jamis Dakar XCR Comp form Jenson

Jenson USA has a 2008 Jamis Dakar XCR comp for $999. I am considering buying it but I would like to get some opinions on it first. The other bikes I am also considering a Giant Anthem X3 $1800 (although this is a little out of my budget which is why I am looking at the Jamis) and a 2010 Gary Fisher ... Read More »

10' Trek Fuel EX 8, 10' Stumpy FSR Comp, or 09' Jamis Dakar XCR Expert

Hello All! Its been awhile, so please be nice. Just getting back into things and want to pick up possibly one of the three. The stumpy and the Trek are both at lbs for about the same price, $2100. The Jamis i found on Jenson for $1845. The Jamis has slightly better components. Anyone that has ridden ... Read More »

07 Dakar xcr comp frame ???

I just buy a 07 Dakar xcr comp frame and i'm gonna put a set of mavic xc 717, xc600 retro marzocchi fork, xt derailleurs, kore lite2 flat bar.... I want to know if i'm gonna have a good bike for xc riding and competition ? Thanks!!!! :thumbsup:Read More »

Dakar xcr comp frame

I just buy a Dakar xcr comp 2007 frame and i'm gonna put a set of mavic xc 717, a xc600 retro marzocchi fork, kore lite2 flat bar.... Do you think i'm gonna have a good bike for xc riding and competiton ? Thanks!!!:confused: :thumbsup:Read More »

Dakar XCR Comp questions

If you have one do you like it? How is the manitu front fork? I'm not familiar with their prodcts. Would you recommend one over a kona king kikapu? I know I'm in a Jamis forum but be honest. Thanks Jon [url]http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/KINGKIKAPU/index.html[/url]Read More »