Jamis Dakar XC Comp XC Full Suspension

4.43/5 (37 Reviews)
Weight : 29.25 lbs MSRP : $1099.99

• FRAME: Kinesium alloy main triangle and 7005 rear, cartridge bearing pivots, multiple linkage design with 90mm rear travel, Fox FLOAT R shock, replaceable derailleur hanger, international disc brake mount.
  • FORK: Manitou R7 Comp, alloy steerer 100mm travel.
  • WHEELSET: Mavic XM117 disc rims, 32H with Shimano Deore front and rear disc hubs, WTB 14g stainless steel spokes.
  • DERAILLEURS: SRAM X-9 rear, X-Gen 31.8mm top pull front.
  • SHIFTERS: SRAM X-9, Impulse trigger-shift, 27-speed.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Matt Nelson

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2014

Strengths:    ?

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
    Have the chance to pick up a 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Comp at a pawn shop for $250.00. Assume this is a great deal? Any thoughts.

Submitted by ronnbot a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    (Mostly) Good components.
    Good value.
    Relatively light.
    Good over all design.
    Can mount bottle cage on frame.

Weaknesses:    Some may find the suspension inadequate but good enough for me; XC after all.

Bottom Line:
    Just got the Jamis Dakar XC Comp 2011 (for $1120 as last year's model) and I couldn't be happier. It's my first 'real' fs mtb, but I couldn't find another bike from any local stores that provided as good of a bike for the price, and there are a lot of bike stores in Vancouver (and surrounding cities). I guess you could find the same or similar bike cheaper on-line but I want to get it locally for the support (return/exchange, free service for 1 year, full warranty etc.).

Anyway, the Dakar XC Comp is very good for the money. Even my cousin, who rides a Santa Cruz Nomad, is impressed. Aside from riding it off/on-road around the neighborhood, I haven't really put it through its paces, but so far so good. I'd be riding it to/from work and on the various trails in around the city; it'll be fun.

Purchased At:   Sportcheck

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Trail X2

Bike Setup:   Stock 17"

Submitted by islazn69 a Cross Country Rider from Fairfax, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2011

Strengths:    this bike is very light with many upgrades makes this monster agile and climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    None I've come across

Bottom Line:
    this is my first full suspension mtb. the moment I rode this machine I fell in love with the smooth shifting, aggressive look, and the unbelievable smooth rides. I have no fear taking this monster on trails that will make you hurl with ease. and not to mention cross country riding is unbelievable comfortable riding for hours at a time.

Favorite Trail:   Fountain Head

Purchased At:   Prefer not to say

Similar Products Used:   GT Marathon and Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   2001 Jamis Dakar Comp, Thomson stem/seat post, Chris King Headset, XTR 9 spd Cassette, XT hydraulic brake set, Shimano LX STI dual shifters, XTR rear derailleur, XT front derailleur, XT cranks, Rock Shox Psylo fork, and Manitou type-S SRL rear shock.

Submitted by millermotto a Weekend Warrior from Kennesaw, GA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    High-end components at an affordable price.

Weaknesses:    No bells and whistles of the $5000 bikes...who needs that stuff anyways? I'm sure its heavier than the expensive bikes but I dont race so it doesnt matter to me.

Bottom Line:
    The perfect bike for someone not concerned with having the most expensive bike on the trail! I'm 6'/270lbs and I jump 4' drops without bottoming out the suspension!!!

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Out Spokin' Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   KHS Montana Comp (15yrs old)

Bike Setup:   Stock...Rock Shox front and back, hydraulic disc, XT components.

Submitted by nzgoon a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2008

Strengths:    Top componentry for the price. Very good forks.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are very basic and don't match the rest of the package. Obviously where they saved money. The bottom bracket bearings are weak.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome bike for the money, just needed some upgrades to be a really sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   Makara peak

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Bauer Supra (hard tail)

Bike Setup:   Stock with upgraded wheels XT/Mavic xc717, enduro bearings for bottom bracket and Lock out for the R7's.

Submitted by Calvin Stone a Weekend Warrior from Chesapeake, VA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    This is my first full suspension, air travel, hyd disc brakes. I love the active ride on the suspension. The bike climbs very well when you stay in the saddle. Bars are a little wide for me, but that's an easy fix. Brakes worked 4.0 through wet and muddy conditions.

Weaknesses:    Didn't have any as of now. Everything worked great.

Bottom Line:
    I love the way this bike rides. I'm going to keep playing with shock air pressure to adjust ride. Not sure if I can get any lighter and keep it from bottoming out. This seems to be a great bike and component set-up for the money. I know I couldn't have touched what I got on this bike with any other manufacturer for this price.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Mills

Purchased At:   banana-online

Bike Setup:   210lbs in Fox Float, and 130lbs in R-Seven. Didn't bottom on two foot drops.

Submitted by Dave from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Nicely specced components for this price range. Reasonably light (31 lbs) yet seems strong enough for slightly aggressive trail use.

Weaknesses:    seatpost, tires, cassette

Bottom Line:
    This bike is amazing for what I paid ($1039 on clearance from jensonusa). I never thought I could get this level of components for that price on a full suspension (or even a hardtail). The stock bike weighed in at 31 pounds which isn't racing weight, but is pretty light for a stock full suspension rig. The Frame is reasonably light but seems strong. the R7 fork, and float R shock are well above other suspension you see in other bikes in this price range ,as are the X-9 shifters/deraileurs, and the Juicy 5 brakes. The cranks and wheels aren't the greatest, but they aren't crap either, they're reasonably light and strong and I'm not in any hurry to upgrade them. The only weak points are actually rather minor, the seatpost and cassette are way too heavy, and I'm not liking the tires, but I generally expect to switch out the tires on a new bike anyway. The 27" bars are way too ride for the tight singletrack I ride, so I cut them down right away.
    I'm 5'10" and got the 19" frame. It leaves rather minimal standover, but otherwise fits me. At my height, I think I'm right between frame sizes and probably could have gone with either the 17 or the 19, but I'm happy with the 19" for XC riding.
    I've only had the bike for 2 weeks so far, but have ridden it a lot during that time and have been very impressed. This is my first full suspension, but I've been riding hardtails for 15 years.

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Bike Setup:   Stock setup: Manitou R7, Fox Float R, Sram X-9, Avid Juicy 5,

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Charlottesville, VA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    Fairly light, good welds, strong (so far)

Weaknesses:    Paint job looks nice, but has worn down from cable rub faster than some other bikes I've owned.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the Frame only, but I've built it up fairly close to spec. The biggest upgrade is the Rockshox Reba Race fork, which I think works awesome with this Frame. Everything fit on the frame perfectly. I'm 6'-0" at 170 lbs, and the 19" frame is a perfect fit. I really like this bike. The stock rear shock (Fox Float R) is everything I need, and nothing I don't. 3" travel, and I've yet to go past about 2" of travel. Granted the biggest jump I've probably done is 3 feet, but I don't need to do anything more than that, which means the XC Comp travel is exactly what I need. I think the XLT would have been too much unnecessary travel. Rear shock is currently at 150 psi. I highly recommend Jamis bikes - I beat the heck out of the bike this weekend at Sherando Lake, and other than a flat, the bike held up fantastically.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   rbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Jamix XC Comp, RS Reba Race, XT shifters, Avid BB7 brakes, Thomson Elite seatpost with Speed V saddle, LX derailleurs and crankset.

Submitted by raphael from cali baby

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    very light, and um iv got lots of xtr componants on it. it a 2003 model. the air shock fox float is greaat

Weaknesses:    very heavy haha jk. the marizochi bomber is a tad bit stiff but tht is good for down hill

Bottom Line:
    it is good for trails and down hill if you are not gonna do drops that are more then 30 ft cuase i bottomed out when i did that.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   marizochi dirt jumper 4 and jjudy 1

Bike Setup:   xtr componants, truvativ stylo, avid disc brakes jucy 5

Submitted by Tom Carry a Cross Country Rider from MN

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    Rides nice when it is working

Weaknesses:    Here is my list
    I have broke the chainstay TWO TIMES
    had to have the bottom bracket Warranted twice and finaly gave up and bought a decent one at my cost.
    I also had problems with the jucy five brakes, they need contant adjusting.
    I had to buy new rims and hubs (tacoed the old ones and the hubs are junk)
    had to put a new headset in (at my own cost) the original was junk.

Bottom Line:
    Extremely disappointed with this bike.Don't buy the 2005 Jamis dakar xc comp bike it is junk.
    The local bike shop has done there best to help me out with the cost but Jamis does not warrenty there labor

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   was stock when purchased

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Federal Way, WA USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Strengths:    Price. $1,700 MSRP. Purchased year end 2006 closeout for $1,300.

Good dealer support on warranty repair of Fox Float R.

Weaknesses:    None for the $'s it is great value.

Naturally, for this priced bike, the rim/ hub combo isn't going awesome, just adequate. I would like to upgrade the wheels/ hubs. Other upgrades will come as my $'s and skill set warrants.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike, love it. It is light and handels well. I've been quite satisfied thus far. I look forward to many years of use.

Purchased At:   Phil's South Side Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Not many, this is my first full suspension.

I was using a Rock Hopper for a year prior to this.

Bike Setup:   100% stock except for upgrade to Shimano PD545, plant bike fenders and some WTB tires more suited for muddy Pacific NW winters. Because this was 2006 closeout. It has a unique mix of 2006 and 2007 parts. I notice my handle bar was from the next expert model up so I faired well. Seat Post Easton 30, Avid Juicy 5 Brakes, Easton 30 Stem, Easton 50 Low Rise Bar, SRAM X9 Rear, SRAM X Gen Front, SRAM X9 Shifters, Mavic XM117 Rims, Shimano 525 Hubs, Hyd Brakes, Truvative Fire X Crank, Manitou R7 Comp Fork, Fox Float R Shock.

Submitted by connor Toth a Weekend Warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    this is the best bike i have ever used. great handling pretty light overall very good

Weaknesses:    juicy 5 pads arent the greatest but get the job done

Bottom Line:
    i woul but this bike a million times over.Plus i got a great deal a $1200 but i would buy it again if it cost double that much.You should buy this bike if u dont have like 3000 dollars to spend on a bike but want a great bike.I have taken it out on some pretty tough trails and it has stood up to everything

Favorite Trail:   skytop

Purchased At:   mike bikes

Bike Setup:   stock except for carbone handlebar

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2006

Strengths:    the rear is really sensetive but it doesnt bob when u pedal and its pretty cheap too

Weaknesses:    avid juicy 5 pad is not that great but its still fine

Bottom Line:
    a good bike for money and this bike is almost a top of the line bike because it came with nice components

the differences between the pro model is not very far

Purchased At:   UWC (Bangkok, Thailand)

Similar Products Used:   Gaint Anthem Team

Bike Setup:   2006 model with components from the manufacturer

Submitted by Mike Jackson a Cross Country Rider from Cedar Park Tx

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    agile,fairly light,good climber,hangs tough.

Weaknesses:    creeks alot

Bottom Line:
    This bike is fast. And gets tweeky on loose decent, and climbs well with the older horst type rear triangle keeps up with hard tails(99 model pivots on the lower chain stay)this bike finds a grove and goes with it on single track and hard pack terrian it's easy to work or thread through techical places and climbs (with the right tire presure)I've raced this bike once and it did well, I didn't.It has not given up on me yet and have had no real problems to speak of i'm a 145 lb rider 5'6"and I love this bike slightly less than my wife. This bike does well with 4" travel for cross country riding and can take advaced technical trails well Jamis did a good thing with this bike. If I had the 1800.00 for this bike I would have paid it. Instead I built my dream bike for a set of cook brothers cranks for the frame,

Favorite Trail:   where posible