Iron Horse Sinister Sport XC Full Suspension

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Karting10al a Weekend Warrior from Riverside, CA., USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame for building an awesome bike. stands up the abuse of riding it and forgetting it, being able to just jump back on it anytime and go

Weaknesses:    needs a good build kit to make it a really good bike

Bottom Line:
i love this frame. it has a great feel to it. and the suspension geometry is really nice for XC riding.
i give four chilis because it comes equipped with some pretty cheap equipment that should defenitly be tossed in favor of some quality components.
but the five chili rating is for the simple fact that this is a tough frame. and Ironhorse has a pretty good customer service as well

Favorite Trail:   2 trees, skyline

Purchased At:   sport chalet

Similar Products Used:   KHS, Jamis dakar

Bike Setup:   Cane creek cloud9 RS, Manitou min, front fork, Shimano XT FR and RR derailers, avid juicy brakes, truative crank
and some other sweet gear

Submitted by Brad Stanford a Cross Country Rider from Wheeling WV USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2006

Strengths:    Nice Suspension, disc brakes, good tires for stock

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Got this for a great deal from Dicks and have had no problems with the bike. Soaks up the rough spots and here in the Appalachians there's a lot of roots and rocks to try it out on. Great on XC but does well on downhill and climbs. Good all around mountain and XC bike. If you're a newbie or a veteran this bike is a great deal.

Favorite Trail:   Barkcamp State Park

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn S20 Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Tekro Disc Brakes Shimano shifters Rockshock Fork WTB Weirwolf tires

Submitted by Keven a Racer from New London, Connecticut

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2006

Strengths:    good bike for the price... but needs some upgrades! i.e. pedles... get clipless! it's well worth the $50.00 upgrade.

Weaknesses:    front fork is alright... i'm planning on upgrading to a FOX F100 2006 air shock... the rear shock? well, i got what I paid for. If you're serious about racing and have the bucks to upgrade... do it. I suggest a lockout shock of some kind. I'm currently looking to upgrade to a FOX of some sort (still researching). Crank set? it's alright. Once again... you get what you pay for. When I initally got the bike I had problems with the crank set - it needed constant adjustments... now it works great.

Bottom Line:
This is a GREAT bike to start off... you'll need to put some money into it, which I put together a wish list costing around $1000 in upgrades - Thank you EBAY! If you resist the itch in buying a new bike (I couldn't), and you good a saving money, I suggest getting the Specialized FSR M4. But, if you're looking to save a couple of bucks, and get in shape while doing so... plus you're looking for a fixer up project... get it. I don't regret buying the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Point, Groton

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR M4 - my boys bike! That think kicks @ss! Of course he spent $2000 on it - it better kick a little something for that price!

Bike Setup:   Shimano clipless pedels - stock overall.

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Buffalo, NY USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2005

Strengths:    Price, quality of frame and components. Solid Bike!!!

Weaknesses:    A little too heavy.

Bottom Line:
This is the first full suspension mt bike I've bought. I am pretty new to the sport (former BMXer in a past life). And I love the bike. Has all really good components, Hayes disk brakes, shimano gears, Rock Shox. I was prepared top spend $1000 for a quality full suspension bike and came across this one. Turns out to be a great decision. I think the only real advantage to spending more would be less weight. I highly recommend it to anyone regardless of experience.

Favorite Trail:   Holiday Valley / E-ville

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Trek 800

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Stockton, Ca

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    It was an excellent bike for the price. Even at the retail price it would be hard to beat. Compared to my older Klein, it has a longer wheel base for a smoother ride, more travel in the suspension (front and rear) to soak up more of the bumps, and it has those cool disk brakes. I was a little concerned with the componentry being a little on the low end, but once out on the trails I found that everything was more than adequate. The shifting is smooth and consistent. The seat and pedals are comfortable. And the disk brakes work great. For my rides I don’t need them but it does give good feedback when braking and therefore gives me more confidence. I wasn't sure about the Tektro mechanical brakes at first. Never heard of them. But they work well and I have no complaints. I'm 5'10" at 195 lbs and decided to get a 21" frame. Seems about right. I can comfortably stretch out and hang off the seat on steep inclines and yet ride long distances without feeling crammed on the bike.

Weaknesses:    Have'nt noticed any problem with the main rear swing arm pivot that Glenn described on his Sinister Comp frame. About the only weakness the bike has is that it is a little heavy. At approximately 35 lbs, it is 8 lbs heavier than my Klein.

Bottom Line:
If you're just getting started in Mtb, you can't go wrong. If you're an intermediate rider, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Great value for the price. Quality components. Comfortable ride. With its' 2" longer wheel base and 2" wider handle bars, it tracks excellently and gives the rider the confidence to tackle tougher terrain. Heck it even survived after a fellow rider, Jim, did an endo on top of me after I wiped out!

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Loop