Iron Horse Azure Sport XC Full Suspension

• Seatpost: Easton EA30, 31.6MM
  • Brakes: Shimano M485 Hydraulic

Submitted by Alty a Cross Country Rider from Brighton, UK

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2011

Strengths:    Nice geometry. Suspension works very nicely. Great value. Good all rounder.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clean around the suspension. Stock Shimano brakes are terrible - both failed in the space of about a year of riding. Bad mud clearance at the back - a big pain in the winter and you can never fit it with bigger tyres. The stock Continental tyres wear out fairly quick and puncture very easily.

Bottom Line:
Good value for money bike with great suspension system for the price. Overall it has served me pretty well, but it's been a bit hit and miss because of the disadvantages listed above. It could have been because I ride it too hard for what it was designed for.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Forest

Purchased At:   www.futurecycles.co.

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by painless a Cross Country Rider from Vilnius, Lithuania

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    Very comfortable geometry, good suspension performace, short standover height. Stiff and reliable frame

Weaknesses:    It's weight. 2900 g with Fox RP23 shock, original seatclamp and derailleur hanger. And very bad finish, it's very sensitive for any smallest impact.
Disassemble of lower pivot is very complicated. Also changing the bearings is a little bit complicated because of rear triangle shape.
Too small rear mud clearence.

Bottom Line:
I've bought it as a nude frame, even without the rear shock. Performance is superb despite it's heavy weight. Superb choice if you don't have lot of money for Anthem X, Intense and other. Pearl white looks good with sanitary white fork and saddle.
Not very easy to service the suspension links and change bearings and to clean it. Some normal windth tyres (2.1-2.25) can't be mounted because of small mud clearence.

Purchased At:   eBay.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS

Bike Setup:   Fox RP23 & Fox F100 RL, Mavic XMax SLR 2k9 wheels, Sram X.9 gearshifting, Shimano XT cranks, Bontrager InForm RL saddle etc...

Submitted by emptyvoxel a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2008

Strengths:    Great suspension at a terrific price. The DW-Link is the real deal, offering great climbing and surprisingly supple bump absorption for a 90mm travel frame. At the Randall Scott blow-out prices you get a decent introductory component set and a great frame.

Weaknesses:    I've had a lot of trouble keeping the Avid BB5 brakes tuned up, especially the rear brake. Stock tires roll well, but are not well-suited for conditions in the Pacific Northwest (wet and muddy, even in the summer).

Bottom Line:
For the price, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better bike. If you're looking at a hardtail, I would suggest trying out an Azure first (at least as long as you can find a local dealer to try the bike out.) Thanks to the DW-link suspension, this bike loves to climb, exhibiting almost no pedal bob when set up correctly. I just don't know why you'd buy a hardtail when you can get a quality FS for a price like this.
As you might expect at this price point, the fork is nothing special, but it is a decent entry-level fork and I've had no problems with it yet. I expect to ride it until it dies, then upgrade.
The stock Crossmark front and Ignitor rear tires roll great and work well on asphalt and hardpack, but if you have loose, muddy or wet conditions I'd recommend you look at other options.
The bottom line: I have no buyers remorse. I would definitely recommend the Azure Sport as an entry level full suspension with a great frame. As you progress you may want to upgrade some of the components, but the base package is a great value.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith Mountian

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR XC, old Trek hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Ergon GP1 Grips, Easton Monkeylite XC bars, Easton EC70 seatpost, Kenda Nevegal Tires front and rear.

Submitted by jww216a a Cross Country Rider from Midland, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2008

Strengths:    excellent sturdy frame that can take a beating

Weaknesses:    haven't found one yet but i am trying

Bottom Line:
I've already logged over 500 miles of single track on it and this is an excellent full suspension bike! Set the shocks up for your weight and your in for a thrill ride the bike will treat you great and it can handle the abuse you give it. i don't go easy on my equipment and other than a couple malfunctions with the chain and re-adjusting shifters the bike over-all has held up to my abuse.

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension owned

Submitted by n n a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    almost no pedal bob. Good component set. Fairly light for a full suspension that retails for $2000. dw-link rocks!!!

Weaknesses:    on really rocky trails, lots of chain slap. not much a problem, just get a chainstay protector

Bottom Line:
this bike rocks. great paint job, minimal pedal bob, consistent components. All around good bike. With some upgrades, it can be real light. Mine stock (17") weighs 28.5 pounds. good geometry, stiff yet supple ride. rides like hardtail until you find rocks, then suspension kicks in. deffinately get a chainstay protector, don't want to mess up this paint.Climbs great. Great all around bike!

Favorite Trail:   Thumper loop

Purchased At:   perofrmance bike

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse Maverick XC

Bike Setup:   stock, ritchey cockpit, Sram X-7 drivetrain, marzocchi mz comp fork, fox float r shock, maxxis crossmark/ignitor tires

Submitted by antonio gallardo a Cross Country Rider from anaheim

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome suspension. Rides like a hardtail would,but with better traction, and very supple on the bumps. Rides and climbs like a carbon fiber road bike would. As if it weighs like a mere seven kilo road bike. Very tough paint job

Weaknesses:    zipp, nada, none whatsoever

Bottom Line:
The best bike for the money. And I suppose amongst all them bikes out there. Not that I've tried all the bikes out there, but think about it.. This bike only needs a Fox R for the rear shocks and that's it. No need for a pro pedal of any kind. Try putting just the Fox R on all those boutique brands out there and let's see what they're really made of. I mean you can hit this rig as hard as you can, whether it be straight up or on flats you would hardly feel a bob. I do'nt know what you call it. But for me that's wonderful engineering. Thanks a lot Iron horse.

Favorite Trail:   whiting ranch wilderness park

Purchased At:   randall scott

Similar Products Used:   cannondale caad 5, giant nrs, jamis komodo, norco fireball, jamis dakar xc expert, giant xtc

Bike Setup:   full shimano xt 2008, Fox talas 2008 RLC, crossmax sl, alpha q carbon cockpit and seatpost, selle italia xcr pro.

Iron Horse Azure Sport or MKIII Trail

I have a tough decision to make. I can't decide if I should get the Iron Horse Azure Sport or the Iron Horse MKIII Trail. If you could provide some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I'm relatively new to mountain biking and I've been riding a few trials around town. I plan to ride much m ... Read More »

Iron Horse Azure Sport or Santa Cruz Superlight?

As bike prices are going up mid season this year, I'm thinking about buying an xc race / trail bike in the near future. I'm thinking about either the 2007 Iron Horse Azure Sport or the Santa Cruz Superlight D XC. While I know these are low spec bikes, I intend on upgrading the important bits as I ... Read More »

What size for a 2007 Azure Sport?

I'm 5'6" with a 28.5 inseam. Is it a 15" or 17" for me? I test ride a 17" today and the fit wasn't too bad. I got about 1/2 inch clearance and I'm not sure if that's enough.Read More »

06' K2 Apache 5.0 or...07' Iron Horse Azure Sport??

I'm looking to buy one of these bikes from rscycle.com. What one would you choose? Would you choose a different bike for the price? K2 is $849 Iron Horse is $899. Seem like too good of a deal to pass up. Maybe a little help...........................thanksRead More »

Iron Horse Azure Sport

I'm 6'2 and 250lb and looking to get a full suspenson bike the Iron Horse Azure Sport at rs cycle for 899 looks to be a good deal. I would like some advice if this bike will work well with my weight; I have never had a full suspension bike before and I'm concerned that I'm to large for the rear shoc ... Read More »