Intense Spider XVP XC Full Suspension

4.44/5 (72 Reviews)
Weight : 5.74 MSRP : $1950.00

From the make of the top downhill race bicycles in the world, comes revolutionary Spider XVP.

Featuring the patented VPP suspension design, the Spider XVP has been reffered to by many as the best cross country specific bike ever made. A superior climber, torque sensative ascender and traction master.

Submitted by OSchmidt a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2014

Strengths:    Climbs with a vengeance, descend great for what it is, VPP works great.

Weaknesses:    The one of the rear pivot bolts shattered(mostly my own fault). Not perfect for technical descents.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike last winter off of craigslist and have loved it ever since. I race XC in the fall and the bike has taken everything that I threw at it. This bike has no problems with the exception of one of the pivot bolts having a tendency to back-out and later snapping. I have used the bike on several DH trails and aside from the short travel it held on pretty well. All in all a great ascender, a pretty good descender.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Ahab

Duration Product Used:   2-years

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Bionicon SuperShuttle, Schwinn Rocket88, Santa Cruz Blur SL, Trek Superfly 100

Bike Setup:   X9/XO drive train, XT Brakes, Fox Terralogic F80, Manitou swinger 3-way,

Submitted by stomper a Weekend Warrior from Antrim Ireland

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2010

Strengths:    Gr8 trail bike, vpp works well, found it twichy at the start as my other bike's the Tracer but the bike's fully sic.
Bought it for xc raceing endro rides. Last few weeks the only bike i've riden.

Weaknesses:    a bit loose on the fast decents

Bottom Line:
Got the tracer for fast desents and big trail rideing and has been left in the shed of weeks. The Spider is an a gr8 ride quick up hills, handles swichbacks with ease. Bought as a X demo haven't looked back

Favorite Trail:   Gap Creek Brisbane Aus

Purchased At:   fortheriders.com

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer VP, Cannondale Rize.

Bike Setup:   Reba fork, XT drivetrain/shifters, Juicy 7, manitou swinger air 3-way shock, mavic race wheel set

Submitted by Addison Hinrichs a Cross Country Rider from Temecula, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Strengths:    I really enjoy the vpp suspension I dont feel like i lose too much energy at all on the long climbs. I dont Feel that i need a lock out or a propedal I don't get alot of pedal bob.

Weaknesses:    not Completely steady on the big rocky descents but none the less it still holds a line nicely!! also bearings do need to be replaced more often than other bikes

Bottom Line:
this bike holds a line very nicely and climbs excellently good quality. i prefer intense over any other brand, good quality bikes. this bike is for someone who wants a bike that can climb, but also descends well enough to be versatile.

Favorite Trail:   Dragon back, Vail lake,

Bike Setup:   crossmax maverics, thompson stem and seatpost, xt shifters, xt drivetrain,

Submitted by frana a Cross Country Rider from alta loma, CA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2009

Strengths:    climbs well. rp23 lockout works great. Suspension soaks up bumps very well. Minimal bob when seated and not locked out. No problems with linkages or bearings. Linkage issues have been solved according to another user who I corresponded with.

Weaknesses:    Only thing I notice is on fast semi-rough descents, stiffness could be better.

Bottom Line:
Great XC bike. Smooth riding with VPP suspension with 20% sag. Great quality, no issues with the frame. I bought just the frame from Jensonusa. Highly recommend

Favorite Trail:   santa ana river

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   02 GT i-drive

Bike Setup:   crossmax xl wheels, fox rlt fork, titec carbon stem and seatpost, egg beaters, ceramic V brakes. 26 lbs.

Submitted by teledaddy207 a Cross Country Rider from Augusta Maine

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    this was my first new bike in 20 yrs, I'm am wondering why I waited so long, but 4 kids came first, I averaged @ 100 miles a week August, September and October, never had to so much as tweak a thing, followed Jenson.s unpacking info and Rockshock and Fox set up. I 'm looking forward to Spring

Weaknesses:    the brakes don't modulate as well as my old XTR V's, Juicy threes, but I took the package knowing I would slowly trade up

Bottom Line:
very happy with my investment, this bike handles all I thro at it w/ ease, the ability to lock out front when climbing or on smooth trails is nice and adjust both front and rear shock on the fly is wonderful, still tweaking both shocks, previous Noleen was limited in adjustemnt

so far no bearing issues on frame

Favorite Trail:   Outdoor center Sugarloaf

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   my last bike was a K2 Razorback and I loved it's suspension design, my son is now riding and racing that, bought used w/ a raceface XTR mix

Bike Setup:   fox rp23 rear, reba race front, xt, x9 drive, avid juicy 3( now has magua martaSL's) truvativ cockpit and crank

Submitted by Red Spider a Cross Country Rider from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2009

Strengths:    Light & Strong Easton Frame, stable downhill, good climber
USA Handmade

Weaknesses:    Bearings need to be replaced after 6 months

Bottom Line:
Fast & responsive frame, better than Anthem on downhill (but the frame will cost you almost double if compare to Anthem)

Favorite Trail:   JPG

Similar Products Used:   Giant Anthem (good value)

Bike Setup:   XTR Drive Train & Wheelset, Fox F100 RLC, Thomson

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from charlotte,nc

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to a previous post. I have been riding this bike for greater than 9 months. I ride 30 miles or more a week and I have raced the bike a bit. I bought a monoblock rear pivot..this updates the frame to 2007 spec. The frame has been great. I was worried that the pivot bolts would continue to loosen/creek. This is NOT a problem. I love riding this bike. I think this is a great bike for long rides. I also have a giant anthem. The giant is lighter and I think it climbs better. The bottom bracket of the giant is too low and is always smacking rocks/roots. I have been riding a friends specialized epic and I might like this better. Still, I would strongly recommend the spider!

Favorite Trail:   usnwc

Similar Products Used:   Trek fuel ex9, giant anthem 1, specialized epic

Bike Setup:   x0 and x9, cane creek wheels, avid juicy 7, reba team

Submitted by zaskar1 a Cross Country Rider from san jose, ca usa

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    control comfort

Bottom Line:
i got the special deal sram setup with the ok reba race front and fox rear, still was not cheap, but is worth the $$

i was concerned that the wheels were too heavy and the limited travel of the suspension

my reservations were unfounded, as this bike climbs better than my 24lbs hardtail, an old gt zaskar race bike and sticks to the trail on the climbs and descents so i have to be careful as not to go too fast as i have absolute control

my only regret is that i didnt buy this sooner

the guys at trailhead in san jose were extremely helpful

i dont understand the negative reviews this bike has received as it is made in the usa, so you should buy this one to keep the jobs here

Favorite Trail:   almaden quicksilver

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   trailheady cyclery

Similar Products Used:   klein manitou

Bike Setup:   intense spider xvp
sram

Submitted by Dan a Racer from Hyannis

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2008

Strengths:    efficient suspension

Weaknesses:    the seattube BB weld has cracked on all three frames I've owned.Tire clearance

Bottom Line:
I am so disappointed that all my frames have not lasted more than 12 months and I don't do any crazy stunts. They tell me that I don't have enough sag so I guess I'll have to soften it. I bought this to save my HT and my HTs last longer. so now I have to purchase a crash replacement at a discounted price and the economy is failing is so is my bank account.

Favorite Trail:   Lenox Mt/pittsfield SF Mass,

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel. Cdale Scalpel

Bike Setup:   2x9 drivetrain with road cassette

Submitted by Steven Dembones a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    Awsome frame, very light and durable. Very quiet. Little to no frame flex or unused motion. Very responsive on all types of terrain.

Bottom Line:
This bike rips. If you can afford this level of bike nothing in this price range comes close. It is light, has a great suspension design and is very responsive to all types of terrain. I run Mavic crossmax ST wheels and intense tires. If you like a light bike, cross country race, dont do much jumping and like to climb this is your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bulldog in Mailbu, CA

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   All shimano XT and Fox suspension 4 inches of travel.

Submitted by George a Racer from charlotte,nc

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Strengths:    weight, geometry

Weaknesses:    pivot bolts

Bottom Line:
My frame is a 2006...the pivot bolt issue came up immediately...It looks like it's solved with loctite. The bike is well worth the trouble. Super fast...and light. The rear end is pretty firm even with 30% sag. Feels like a racing bike. Great paint. I feel lucky to have this bike...I just hope it lasts at least 6 months.

Favorite Trail:   national whitewater

Similar Products Used:   giant anthem, trek fuel

Bike Setup:   sram x.9 and x.0 , bontrager cranks seatpost and seat, everthing else easton, reba team fork

Submitted by ernie overeasy from pasadena, california

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    climbs very well, seems like bottomless rear suspension, built very nice

Weaknesses:    rear wheel clearance very tight, seatpost tube is very tight and hard to adjust height

Bottom Line:
Only crashed once because I wasnt paying attention. However the bike rides like a dream. Singletrack, fireroads, street riding, the bike does it all. I use it for general purpose trail riding. I like the lightweight frame and the ability to be able to climb almost any hill.
The powdercoat finish is great, no nicks or paint chips like most other frames on the market.
I've popped over logs and some small boulders and the bike hasnt let me down. The VPP bearings has been changed once and it was easy to do. I think this version is burlier than the Santa Cruz Blur, the rear triangle seems to have more support. It doesnt flex much on sharp turns which is great for such a lightweight frame. Highly recommend the 2.3 WTB Timberwolf kevlar folding tires as well as it helps grip the dirt 120% more than other tires.

Similar Products Used:   superlight, blur, specialized fsr

Bike Setup:   see http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/2319/img6446tn8.jpg
did a xc/trailbike setup w/ mavic 321 wheelset, sherman 90/130 fork, raceface xc stem, seatpost, handlebar and crank. avid mechanicals, XT drivetrain, LX brake levers,
fat WTB Timberwolf 2.3 tires, flat pedals and Serfas saddle.

Submitted by Derek Pajaczkowski a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Strengths:    frame and VPP linkage; general looks (it's gorgeous!)

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
A fantastic piece of kit. I've done about 2,000km with this bike and have thoroughly enjoyed every one. The frame is light and stiff, and the suspension is there when you need it and otherwise invisible. There is no discernible pedal bob and when climbing the VPP linkage keeps the rear end stuck to the ground. Descending and cornering it's taut and under control, always feeling like you could go faster. The bike is at it's best when hammering along a twisty bit of single track. No bearing or frame issues at all and I'm 6'1" and 200lbs. I do, however, really only ride XC -no DH-type descents and no big drops, and the bike is meticulously maintained by me and my LBS which, given the cost, only makes sense, right? It's expensive, but if you want the top of the heap for XC use then look no further...

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery

Similar Products Used:   MARIN, SPECIALISED, SANTA CRUZ

Bike Setup:   INTENSE '05 frame; FOX F100X fork; FOX RP3 shock; MAVIC CrossMaxXL wheels; SRAM XO gears; RACEFACE DeusXC cranks; AVID Juicy7 brakes (200mmF/160mmR); CHRIS KING headset; EASTON EA70 stem, bars and seatpost.

Submitted by keith smarte a Cross Country Rider from earlysville,va

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    climbing,fast cornering

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
great bike,richards bikes was a great bike dealer...they talked with me and were fantastic helping me set-up my bike for me...next bike will be from them

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim,moab

Purchased At:   richards bikes

Similar Products Used:   canondale jekell,yeti 575

Bike Setup:   fox rp23 rear,foxrl,sram x-9 twister shifters with xt crank

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    Very solid bike, still the best XC bike I have tried.

Weaknesses:    Limited rear tire clearance

Bottom Line:
This bike really works. It climbs better than any Specialized and still has active feeling suspension. When I have ridden a few of the Specialized Epics and Fuels, they always feel harsher than this bike. The Santa Cruz Blur and Marins are similar but this bike still has the best balance and feel I have tried. There are small problems with the pivots but Intense has been very good at helping over the years and really for the past 18 months I have not had a bottom pivot come out again. I am riding my third spider and all have been great. There are lighter bikes and bigger travel bikes but for all day riding and racing you cannot beat the Spider. Just look at the World Xterra Championships and you will see 2-3 Intense Spiders in the top 10, more than any other bike.
It still gets attention on the trail and looks great after all the pounding I give it.

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   Marin Mount Vision Pro, Rocky MTN Element Team SC, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, Trek Fuel, etc.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR and Chris King Wheels

Spider XVP monoblock/monolink

Does anyone know where to get a monoblock/link for the upper linkages on the older Spider XVP frame. My frame has the two independent plates. I feel like it would be much more robust with the something like the monolink but I can't find them for sale anywhere.Read More »

Spider 2 Upper link on XVP?

I am looking to squeeze a little more travel out of my 2008 XVP which has 100 rear and a 110 Reba on the front. I can convert my Reba to 120 and wondered if I could install a later Spider 2 or Tracer 2 upper link to get a little more rear travel, or could I just install a half inch longer shock? S ... Read More »

Largest tire that can fit a Spider XVP?

I've demo'd the Tracer 2 and Tracer 229 and loved the fatter 2.2 tires each had. Now when back on my Spider XVP (original) my 2.0 tires feel skinny. Fast, but for just plain trail riding fun, I'm thinking of going with fatter tires as a way to up the fun a bit until I can pool the funds for a new Tr ... Read More »

FS: Intense Spider XVP - Full XTR!!!

I'm selling my 2007 Spider XVP complete with full XTR and XTR wheelset! Info can be found here: [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=58969&cat=[/url] Please feel free to call or email with any questions! Thanks!Read More »

Spider XVP shock size

Hey there: Did a quick search and did not come across the proper rear shock size of the Spider XVP. Anyone out there know? Thanks.Read More »