Ibex Bicycles Ignition 2 XC Full Suspension

• Factory direct price: $599

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by rbh261 a Weekend Warrior from Martinsville. VA USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2008

Strengths:    First full suspension bike. It's a 2008 model. I love it. Front and rear lockout for road riding. Great brakes. WTB Velociraptor's are stock tires. Tuned near perfect upon delivery.

Weaknesses:    I wish the manual covered the suspension in better detail, but the info is availble on the Ibex website.

Bottom Line:
    This is my first full suspension. I am on a tight budget, but I feel I got a great value in this bike. Customer service was great when ordering. Overall quality, fit and finish is impressive at this price.

Purchased At:   Ibex

Bike Setup:   Hayes MX-2 brakes, Velociraptor tires, Marzzochi forks, WTB saddle, SRAM drivetrain, WTB speed disc rims,

Submitted by davy from canada

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2007

Strengths:    good front suspension, disk breaks, lock-out rear suspension.
    its a tough bike. i got the lime green and it is SWEET. the lime green looks awsome.

Weaknesses:    sometimes the disks squeak.

Bottom Line:
    this bike is amazing. i was going to get a gary fisher wahoo but then i saw the ibex. i was still going to get a hard tail ibex then i saw the dual suspension. the colour is great so is the price. im 15 and 135bl and 5 foot 5 . its great i got the 16.5 frames and my dads like 6 foot and he got the 20.5 and its perfect for him. this is my first real bike and i love the bike and i love ibex

Favorite Trail:   alan park

Purchased At:   ibex.com

Similar Products Used:   ????????/

Bike Setup:   nothing

Submitted by adam V a Weekend Warrior from Longmont, CO USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    Awesome Lime green color, Great components for the money, Very well made bike. I am still amazed at the level of bike for what I paid.

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
    I have been mountain biking since I was teenager and decided to try a full suspension iBex ignition 2. One of my co-workers bought an ignition 1 and was so impressed with it I had to get one for myself. I paid the same amount for this ibex ignition 2 as I did my Cyclepro(Schwinn) 18 years ago and the difference is well. uh, dramatic! I easily assembled the bike in about a 1/2 hour and took it out. It felt really squirrly at first and I almost crashed after jumping off a curb since my toe clip jammed right into my tire. I almost endoed the bike. My foot rubbing the tire when i turn just didn't seem right so after close inspection I realized the forks were backwards. Doh! They did this in shipping to get the bike to fit in the box. I mean never having a bike with any sort of suspension I didn't notice the forks were backwards. Well, that was easily fixed and wow! what a difference. Other riders really comment on the cool Lime green paint color on my bike. It really looks cool in Lime green.

The bike is really solid and shifts super smooth compared to my old 18 speed MTB. I think this bike is about the same weight too as my old hard tail. I love the disk brakes but I can't say I really like the rapid fire shifters. My old bike had them and I didn't like them then either. I upgrades to grip shifters on my old bike and I am really used to them so a whole new set of sram grip shifters and derailers are next on my upgrade list. Other than that, the bike is excellent! Full suspension rocks! I am ready now to take on a whole new realm of terrain now.

Favorite Trail:   Moab Utah

Purchased At:   www.ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   1989 - Cycle pro - Hard Tail Mountain Bike
    1987 - Mongoose Alta Pro - Hard Tail Mountain Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock except I had the rear shock upgraded to a Rock Shock Bar 2. I am using Evergreen tubes with Mr Tuffy tire liners.

Submitted by Erik a Weekend Warrior from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    Solid construction, brand name components, rear shock lock-out feature, nice geometry, very responsive, provided multi-tool (nice extra), reliable, excellent value for the price.

Weaknesses:    This is a third follow-up review after about 10 months of use; still no problems with the bike, no mechanicals, hasn't let me down on the trails once. Yeah, brakes could be easier to adjust to prevent rubbing, but that's about it.

Bottom Line:
    I've now ridden over 1,300 intermediate and advanced trail miles on this thing in the past 10 months and it just won't let me down! Shifts like a charm consistently, loves the twisty single tracks of LI, and climbs well. I keep seeing all the $1,000, $2,000, and UP bikes around me on the trails and, I'm sorry, but my IBEX for the money is a heck of a value.

Favorite Trail:   Glacier Ridge

Purchased At:   IBEXbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Various hardtails in the $300-500 range

Bike Setup:   Still stock set up, except went to Shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by Xaqori a Cross Country Rider from mar, ga, us of a

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2007

Strengths:    fork, frame, pedals

Weaknesses:    brakes stink! tires

Bottom Line:
    very good for the price, good for novice & intermediate riders

Favorite Trail:   big creek

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   fisher tass

Bike Setup:   ibex ig. 2

Submitted by Erik a Weekend Warrior from Hauppauge, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2006

Strengths:    Solid construction, brand name components, rear shock lock-out feature, nice geometry, very responsive, provided multi-tool (nice extra), excellent value for the price.

Weaknesses:    This is a follow-up review; still no problems with the bike!

Bottom Line:
    Now have 525+ trail miles (intermediate & advanced)on the bike after 3 months. Pleased to say it hasn't let me down yet. It has taken some punishment on our black diamond and double black diamond trails and always comes out strong. I've found it to be very responsive and quick. Climbs well, too, but the front end is light. I use bar extensions (always have though some folks don't like to) and on the hills they help me distribute my weight just right.

I love this bike and still think it is an excellent value. When I am at the trailhead parking lot seeing all those $1,000+ to $2,000 bikes, I just smile. My Ibex keeps me right up there with the rest of them...for a lot less.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point, Long Island, NY

Similar Products Used:   Various hardtails in the $300-500 range

Bike Setup:   Still stock set up, except went to Shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by KI a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap and durable

Weaknesses:    Setup and weight

Bottom Line:
    Don't expect to have a great ride with this bike until after several attempts at setup. I've found the Alivio front derailleur to be pretty worthless, allowing only 2 chainrings to be used without problems, you pick the two. It also takes a while to figure out how to dial in the Tektro IO brakes.

After the first 7 or so moderate rides I've had a few other problems. The non-driveside crankarm fell off and I lost the hexbolt holding it on. Ibex sent me a replacement in about 2 days. The bottom bracket came out about 3/4 of the way on the driveside. I think this might be because it was spinning backwards on my roofrack for 400 miles, but I'm surprised by it. I'm tired of it and am replacing it with an LX crankset and BB. The Tektro brake mountings came loose after 2 hard rides, but nothing that a hex wrench on the trail didn't fix.

I am basically happy with the bike, especially for the price, but you have to practice due diligence in inspecting and tightening everything for the first few rides. My girlfriend laughs at me because I am always fiddling with it while her 3 or 4 year old Tassajara just goes. With the new crankset, and changes to the rear shock and front derailleur it will be great.

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Switched Alivio FD to an XT, switching Truvativ 5D crankset to an LX, switched rear shock to a Fox Float.

Submitted by Erik a Weekend Warrior from Hauppauge, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    This is my third mtb and my first full suspension. After a LOT of local and internet research the Ignition 2 seemed to fit the bill for my next step up into a more rugged, responsive and FS bike. Shipped fast and arrived in fine condition. Assembly was easy though I needed to reroute the front brake cable which was passed through the forks the wrong way by factory. As with any new ride, plan on spending some time and the first few rides tuning in the drivetrain, shifters, brakes and forks. Now that I have it tuned for my typical rides, I love it. I ride intermediate to advanced trails 3-4 times per week, with a 1,035 tail miles logged so far this year. In the short time I've had the Ibex I already feel more confident traversing trail sections that gave me problems on my other bike. Shifts smoothly, brakes well, handles nasty terrain with confidence, seat is more comfortable than I imagined, handles steep hills better than any other bike I've ridden. This bike seems very satisfactory for beginning, intermediate, and even advanced riders (though riders with lots of hard core experience may prefer one of the more advanced Ibex models with upgraded components). It's early yet, but so far I am very impressed with the bike and the Ibex company. Definitely a bike I should enjoy riding for a long time!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point, Long Island, NY

Similar Products Used:   Various hardtails in the $300-500 range

Bike Setup:   Factory stock setup. May upgrade front derailleur and pedals depending on how they perform.

Submitted by Radek a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    Frame: lateral stiffness is amazing (most of full suspension bikes have perceptive flex, not this one) the geometry seems magical, rides like a hardtail on asphalt, very confident on trails. Good hubs, rolls like a roadie. The fork is way above anything generic, eats small stones easily (I went with the soft setting suggested in the manual and it gives motorcycle-like ride). Surprisingly good seat.
    Perfect bike for anyone stepping up from a generic, confident, safe ride with good looks. Makes an impression it is built to last.

Weaknesses:    The disks are uneven (not bent, more of a varying thickness) need fairly frequent adjustment. OTOH, even when it's possible to hear some rub in the workshop it's not perceptible on the trail. Still, these disks beat even the best rim brakes.

Bottom Line:
    Amazing bike for the money. Looked at several options, for that money I could only get a hardail with this component set (Jamis Komodo) locally, decided to give Ibex a shot - no regrets! The shipping is surprisingly swift, the bike was at my door (in Canada) on day 5.

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Costco Quantum FS, several generics.

Bike Setup:   factory

Submitted by Wes a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Strengths:    The price. I have ridden alot on the road and wanted to try mountain biking. This was the only full suspension bike with disc brakes that fit within my price range. The components seem ok - i am not sure the derailers are adjusted properly. The front shock seems really good (though this is my first shock). A full suspension bike is a lot of fun to ride. I have been popping curbs, etc. trying to learn the tricks and it feels great. The Ibex folks have answered all my emails and queries. Not suprisingly, I did get better answers when I called them than when contacting the with email. I had difficulty deciding whether I should get the 16.5 or 18.5 frame. Ibex and I settled on the 18.5 frame - it seems to fit well though I keep worrying that I will want a smaller frame later when I start really riding trails.

Weaknesses:    Assembly is a little bit more than I expected. The assembly instructions are limited and the manual provided is outdated and non-ignition specific. The rear disc dragged horribly. I spent a lot of time trying to adjust this to the point of filing down the bracket. I discovered that if I flipped the bracket around the caliper would be in the proper position. (Ibex is sending me a new caliper). The brakes need a lot of adjustment and don't seem very strong. I had a hard time knowing what to do with the stem. I took the cap off and managed to catch the fork before it hit the ground. I didn't align the bottom plastic rings on the fork the first time and it interfered with the steering. Both hubs seemed like they were clamped down too tight on the bearings. I peeled off the rubber guards, unlocked the lock nut and loosened the cone. The wheels spin a lot longer now. Shifting seems to work ok but I think it needs some adjustment to get to the outer cog. (I haven't attacked this yet). The pedals don't seem that good. I would order some pedals online or pick some take-offs up at your bike shop. Finally, they cannot swap out components. For example, I should ideally have a slightly smaller than 110 mm stem the 18.5" frame comes with (should have a 100 mm stem). By not swapping out, they can keep there prices low so I can't fault their strategy.

Bottom Line:
    Seems like a great bike. The brakes don't have the adjustments that better disc brakes have. The suspension is _not_ bouncing up and down with every pedal stroke and definately works coming off 1 foot drops (haven't tried anything more daring at this point).

I would suggest that you buy this bike if you are comfortable measuring yourself and selecting the appropriate size for you. You need to be interested in doing the assembly and adjustment (or willing to pay a bike mechanic to do this). If you have $200 extra order the ignition-3 with the improved brakes, shocks, and shifters.

Purchased At:   Ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   I have not used any suspension bike. I own a Trek 7300FX hybrid for commuting and an older steel Diamondback road bike for long rides. I am 39 years old, 5'9", and 165#.

Submitted by Ed Roby a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Strengths:    Most everything. Strong frame, MZ comp fork, rear shock,...just to name a few things.

Weaknesses:    The tires arn't any good. The only thing they are good at is cornering. Brakes arn't especially strong, but what more could you want for this price?

Bottom Line:
    I have worked in a bike shop in the past and am a Barnett's trained certified Tech. This bike is an excellent deal for the money. I bought the bike for the upcomming XC season, and am very pleased. I had wanted an all-mountain bike, but "settled" for this. Suprise to me that that is how it is built up. Oversized riser handlebars and beefy rims come on it (the pictures online don't give the bike justice). It rides better than the Jamis Dakar XC Comp I had and it costs $1300 less! Don't listen to the guy that says the frame "looks" weak, cause it isn't. I weigh about 170 lbs. and have landed badly on 4ft. drops onto pavement. It does great on freeride courses too. MZ comp fork soaks up everything I throw at it, even the 4 foot drops onto concrete, without bottoming out. Buy it if you want a good bike at a great price.

Favorite Trail:   Blanket's Creek

Similar Products Used:   2003 Jamis Dakar XC Comp

Bike Setup:   Stock with a few changes: Bash Guard instead of large chainring, Forte Terra Trak 2.1 front tire, Specialized Enduro 2.2 Rear tire.

Submitted by Clifford Maass a Weekend Warrior from Richmond

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2006

Strengths:    Maybe the oversized stem and bars and shock.

Weaknesses:    Disc Brakes, Brake Levers, frame,

Bottom Line:
    This bike is pure junk if you ride hard. The brakes never stays adjusted or stop very well. The frame looks very weak at the bottom shock mount. I mean come on cast aluminum and I wish I had noticed that before the purchase. The way they have run the cables is a joke. The rear brake cable will hit your leg unless you tie strap it to the frame. I am an ace bike mechanic and have worked in couple shops in my younger days. I help all the guys I ride with maintain their bikes. I thought I was getting a deal when I bought this bike. I guess after I spend the extra cash for Avid Disc brakes. Get a buddy to custom make me the bottom shock mount when it brakes. Then this would be a good bike.
    I went with this bike because of the price as a have a small son and I watch my money. I guess I should have known better as you get what you pay for. After I buy the brakes and brake levers I will have closer to 900 in the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Poor Farm Park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, K2, Mongoose and GT before Walmart

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Ruston, LA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Strengths:    Exceptional price for the bike/components. Great customer service at Ibex.com. Very durable bike.

Weaknesses:    Brakes (not terrible, but I'm not a big fan). I've been having some problems with them dragging.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for a great price. Extremely durable- I ride a pretty rough trail 2-3 times a month for about six months, and I've never had a problem. If you're on a budget, this is the bike to get!!

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Parish Park

Purchased At:   Ibex.com

Submitted by Dom a Cross Country Rider from Burbank, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2005

Strengths:    Short of some great deal on eBay you won't find a more solid bike with mostly above average components for such a great price. Frame is really rock-solid. Gets looks like your driving (riding) a Porsche.

Weaknesses:    Nit-picking...Front derauiller not beefy enough if doing more than mild x-country. Read disc brake rubbed long after break-in period.

Bottom Line:
    Simply a great bike all the way around...Great price, good components and a mean look. No matter where I go I see people "eyeing" this bike. In the rack at work there are frequently a group of people looking over the Ignition 2 admiring it's nice lines and unique look. And then you ride it....

I'd more accurately describe my riding as "Lite Urban Cross Country" as I stay on the pavement most of the time trying to hit as many irregularities as possible. Then I may cut across grass or a dirt path or down a short set of stairs to shortcut my destination.

With that in mind the bike has performed almost flawlessly (even though it really wasn't made for this). The frame is the key to this machine and it just does not give. The front suspension has enough travel to handle big root fractures in the pavement and the disc brakes are confidence-inspiring. The rear suspension also performs fine.

The thumb shifters are a bit balky going between some gears but are exactly where they need to be for quick shifts to handle changes in the terrain. In the lowest gear the chain rubs against the front derauiller which Shimano mentions in their documentation so you can't really use that gear. An upgrade at some point.

I switched out the Kenda Krushers for Specialized ATB Compound Pro's just because they were more conducive to the more pavement oriented riding I do...However the Krushers performed well on loose gravel and packed trails but not sandy ones (that would be a tall order anyway).

I flipped the bike accidentally after doing a bunny hop onto the curb (was inadvertenly covering the brakes when I landed and ended up squeezing them at the absolutely wrong time). It was a ugly crash but the only thing that came of the bike was some scratched brake levers. Nothing else. So my bottom line is:

Get your credit card out and order the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any Root Fractured Pavement