Ibex Bicycles Apogee Sport XC Full Suspension

• Factory direct price: $1099

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Lance Low a Downhiller from Pleasanton, CA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Strengths:    Great out of box feel, nicely build, versatile for all types of riding, shocks match nicely.

Weaknesses:    not able to upgrade rear shock with anything with a piggyback reservoir.

Bottom Line:
    This bike ride awesome, it takes everything that i throw at it, from massive downhills up in mammoth, or to light trails in my home town. For someone looking for a great bike around a thousand dollars this is a great bike. Been taken on double black diamond runs in mammoth and very rocky downhills in my home town. The only thing is you have to change the spring weight for your weight and the rear shock cannot be upgraded to something with a piggy back reservoir on it. other than that great frame, and bike, all around versatile bike that takes anything i have thrown at it. Plan on throwing more at it for my next trip coming soon.

Favorite Trail:   Joaquin Miller

Purchased At:   Ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro, Santa Cruz Blur, Giant Reign

Bike Setup:   Changed Items, Formula oro k18 hydro brakes, wtb tires, hope 90mm DH stem, Cateye cycle meter, hope grip doctors, bar ends. rest is stock!

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    Durability, Cost, Customer Support

Weaknesses:    Cheap tires. Not enough rake (angle of front fork).

Bottom Line:
    Finally broke a component on this bike after 1.5+ years of riding. This is by far the most durable bike I've owned yet. It took slamming the bike into a boulder on a hairy downhill to get something to break (I also dislocated my toe in the process). After the smoke cleared, the rear shock is history...but the frame and all the other components held their ground. Kudo's to Jack and his team of engineers for building such a solid bike.

The only thing that took me a while to overcome was the short rake (angle of front fork). I've ridden for 15 years on bikes that had longer rakes...this bike definitely will take some getting use to if you've ridden others (like specialized) for a long time and have already developed a riding style. If the geometry of this bike is close to what you have already been riding, then I don't see why you are still reading reviews on this bike...buy it!

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   www.ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Stump Jumper

Bike Setup:   Stock with Garmin GPS

Submitted by mike evan a Cross Country Rider from Garner,NC,USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2005

Strengths:    good frame, forks, excellent avid bb-5 brakes

Weaknesses:    165mm cranks on the large frame bike. weak seat post. Average quality seat

Bottom Line:
    I fell like I got about $1200 worth of bike for $1000. The only better deal I have seen was 40-50% off K2 bikes at supergo.com. If you can't wait for a clearance sale this is a really good deal.

Purchased At:   ibex.com

Bike Setup:   sette seat post, oury grips.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Nebraska

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    I have had this bike for 2 seasons now, replaced the tires with Python Golds, replaced the brake pads, eveything else is stock and it still rides great. I have tweaked the fork and shock for my riding style and I can keep up with guys on bikes that cost twice as much. Great customer service and response to questions.

Weaknesses:    Weight...but what else is new?

Bottom Line:
    Great customer service, top components for the price, stands up to everything I have dished out so far...Thanks Jack, for making a great product.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   None needed

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from Bartlett, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent components for the money
    Great customer support

Weaknesses:    The stock Kenda tires are terrible in muddy conditions. The design "seems" OK, but they have no traction.

The Deore shifters don't seem to match well with the LX derailers. Even after a lot of tweeking, the shifting speed seems very sluggish. This is not terrible, but could be better.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line: Given an opportunity to try any other bike in this price range, I would buy this bike again.

Like others, I was very sceptical of buying a bike without a test ride. Ibex gives a 30 day trial period, so testing it out will only cost you shipping (~$35) if you don't like it. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Jack at Ibex discussing components, warranty, sizing, etc. If you have any doubts about the bike, the company, sizing, or anything else, call Jack!

When I received my bike, I found that the front disk rotor was bent and the wheel was warped (due to UPS handling, not Ibex). I called Jack and he send me a new rotor and paid to have my wheel trued. No questions asked. Now that's customer support!

After riding the bike several times now, and properly tuning the suspension, there is little pedal bob and dampening/rebound are great. Uphill climbs are a bit more strenuous due to the weight, but the bumbs, limbs, rocks, and holes in level terrain and downhill slopes are soaked up as if they're not there. The cockpit sizing and balance allows me to navigate single track through narrow paths faster than I've ever been able to before. This is the first bike that I can truly say fits me perfectly.

Yes, the bike could be lighter, but so could I. Yes, the components could be better, but not at this price. I searched for quite a while, and found that bikes with similar setups at local bike shops were running $1250 to $2000, and they didn't fit. I don't believe there is a better value around, certainly not one that fits me!

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse, Specialized, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock except I exchanged the RockShox BAR for a Manitou QRL shock for a slight upcharge. At 5'10", 195 lb. I choose the 18" frame. I have relatively short legs and the frame geometry is great for me! I usually have only 1" to 1.5" of clearance, but with this frame, I've got 4" (so I've got a lot less to worry about!).

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from Mount Shasta, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Strengths:    Very good components for the money. Sturdy, well put together bike.

Weaknesses:    On the heavy end.

Bottom Line:
    Couldn't find a full suspension bike that fit my 6'3" in town that was not high end so it was great to be able to order online. I am at the novice end of the spectrum so my comments on the bike have limited value but I am very happy with the company. Jack was patient with my questions, gave me phone assistance when I needed it. The bike needed a bit of adjustment when it came in - nothing major - and luckily I have a semi-pro racer friend that helped.

Purchased At:   Ibexbikes.com

Bike Setup:   Stock with computer, light, etc.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    Great price for a full suspension bike
    Great customer service
    LX components
    Hayes disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Stock tires kendra suck, I changed them out after first ride.
    Couldn't ride a demo

Bottom Line:
    I've only been riding the bike about a month and a half but so for I love it. I had a few minor adjustments to make after it arrived (disc brakes, rear derailleur, and the front fork was mounted backwards so I had to flip it around). I will probably end up upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes for a little more stopping power but the stock brakes are great.

Their customer service is great. I had emailed them a bunch of questions and they answered all my emails within an hour sometimes within 5 minutes.

Overall the bike is great and you can't ask for anything better for the price. Anyone looking for a sub $1000 full suspension bike with good components and a fun ride this is for you.

Purchased At:   Direct

Bike Setup:   Stock with WTB Velociraptor tires on the rear and will be changing the front one as well.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Buffalo, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    Great value.
    Components are quite good for the price.
    5" rear travel with almost zero pedal bob.
    Frame seems very strong and well built.
    Brakes work awesome!

Weaknesses:    Stock Kenda tires are horrible
    Bit heavy, but for the price and being an FS you can't really complain too much.
    Fork is kind of overdamped (could probably improve with some lighter oil)
    Seat sucks, but what stock seats don't.

Bottom Line:
    Overall I love the bike. The brakes have amazing power and very good feel. When the bike came I had to tighten about half the spokes, adjust the brakes and front derailleur. The rear suspension design is a pretty stable 4 bar platform that climbs very well and I don't notice much bob at all. The Rock Shox BAR in the rear scared me a little with its bad reviews, I talked to IBEX before I bought it and they said it was revised from its original 2003 design and they suposadly fixed the problems with it. So far so good. Like I said before, the tires suck beyond belief. I changed them after 2 rides. For the money you will be hard pressed to find a better 5" travel 4 bar FS bike with components as good as these. I love riding so much more now with the IBEX than my old GT Timberline (basically the only stock part on it was the frame) I had before.

Favorite Trail:   anything technical and downhill

Purchased At:   www.ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   IBEX Ignition, Iron Horse Sinister Comp, GT LTS 2000

Bike Setup:   I'm 6'1" 145lbs and bought the 20" frame. I had to put a shorter stem (90mm) on, stock one was too long (110mm) for me and also cut about an inch off the handle bars to shorten them up. Both these made huge improvements in its handling. Nashbar seat, stock WTB one is about as comfy as a brick. Continental Traction tire on the rear and Panaracer FireXC Pro on the front.

Submitted by Bill Purcell a Cross Country Rider from Papillion, NE USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2004

Strengths:    Customer Service, price

Weaknesses:    No chance to demo.

Bottom Line:
    Like toe other review, I was a little sceptical buying a bike, sight unseen. I ride with several experienced riders and they had never heard of IBEX. I did all my research online. I was a little concerned about the rear shock after reading review of it, but so far, I am not dissapointed. The bike came out of the box and ready to go in 30 minutes. I did have to cable tie of few spots to dress up the cable runs, but that was it. Haven't taken it through all the tests yet, but so far everyhting works as advertised. The customer service so far has been great and the price is right. I will update my review after a couple of months on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis and Clark

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Giant NRS.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    Price. High quality components for a sub $1000 full suspension bike. Great Customer service.

Weaknesses:    Tires look cheap. Rear shock could be better. Rear Derailer and front disc brakes needed further adjustment after delivery. Can't ride a demo before making a buying decision. Rear derailleur cable too long...got wrapped around the disk brakes on first ride.

Bottom Line:
    This company provides value to the consumer.

Customer Service: Jack was extremely helpful in answering my questions concerning geometry and component compatibility. He even threw in a shock pump as a thank you for waiting until they were able to fulfill my order.

The Merchandise: The bike has a nice look and the lines are clean. Mechanically, the bike seems solid (I'll know in a couple of weeks, once I really break it in). Of all the bikes I researched, my criteria was to find a full suspension bike for under $1000 with high quality components and a weight of 30 lbs or less. This bike meets all but the weight requirement. I decided that I could shed the 2 pounds off my body to make up for the extra 2 pounds that this bike carries with it.

The Ride: I knew the cockpit was going to be smaller than my specialized so I'm faced with changing my riding style a bit so that I don't sit up on the front tire as much as I had to with my Rock Hopper. There is very little pedal bob and the seat is comfortable. It's a moderately heavy bike, however, the low gear ratio eases the task of making it up those rock infested hills. Even though it’s much heavier than my hard tail, it was still the lightest sub $1000 full sus bike I found out there.

Overall: I'm very happy with the purchase and the company. I would definitely do it again. If your leery about buying a bike online without first test driving it, join the club. I was able to justify the purchase by assessing its overall value, quality of components, and by test-driving a range of bikes that had similar geometry characteristics at my local bike store.