Harvey Cycles Laurel Mountain XC Full Suspension

4.78/5 (18 Reviews)

It is a trail everyone raves about and this frame captures the essence of Laurel Mountain trail. There always seems to be downed trees to play on, rocky sections that will test skills, with rhythm sections to roll on, and, of course, downhill fun. The 5" travel, all mountain Laurel Mountain frame is designed to excel in all of these elements.

Submitted by charlie225 a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville Fl

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Strengths:    Just build up a Harvey Laurel Mountain frame with a Rockshox Ario RL.
Bought the frame at The Hub for $100.00 & so far so good!!!!

Weaknesses:    No so far!!!

Bottom Line:
BAD_ASS frame for the price!!!
I've hit tech and singletrack trails and no problems!!!

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   The Hub

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Marin, Yeti

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Recon 351 130mm, Avid Juicy 5, Maviv Crossrides, Truvative Firex, SLX trail pedals

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Spartanburg, SC

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2007

Strengths:    Price, durability, built to my specs, great value

Weaknesses:    Can't find any

Bottom Line:
For a comparable bike/ride by a larger frame manufacturer I would have paid over $3,000. I test rode the Laurel Mtn. and the difference in the ride versus a Motolite was basically unnoticeable. I didn't have to settle for a bike with some components I didn't want and have to immediately start spending more money to upgrade. Working with Harvey to spec out/setup the bike was great. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Backcountry Outdoors

Similar Products Used:   Titus Motolite, Trek Fuel series, Giant Anthem, Giant Trance

Bike Setup:   Marz AM 3 fork, BB7 discs, Sram X9 shifters & rear der., XT front der., Manitou Swinger 3-way rear shock

Submitted by Chris Eldridge a Weekend Warrior from Pumpkintown, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Strengths:    Quality at a reasonable price. Solid frame with top-notch components and the best service.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I couldn't have done better without spending $3,000. Harvey does a great job standing behind his bikes. My buddy broke a bearing on the rear suspension last year while we were in Fruita Colorado for the Fat Tire Festival there. Harvey had the part overnighted to us. Who else does something like that?

Favorite Trail:   Dupont State Forest Trails

Purchased At:   Backcountry Outdoors

Similar Products Used:   K2

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black front shock with lockout. Shimano shifters and gears.

Submitted by SM a Cross Country Rider from Dayton, OH

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    GREAT Value for a full-suspension bike; super strong yet light QUALITY frame; excellent ride; custom built to your specs.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found. I've hammered this thing over nearly every rock and log on numerous tough trails in 3 different states and it's held up better than my body.

Bottom Line:
You won't find a better value anywhere, period. Harvey is a great guy to deal with and he knows his components. I spent nearly a year looking at various full-suspension bikes by various manufacturers and stumbled upon Harvey's cycles while I was visiting my brother-in-law. I usually build-up my own bikes but when I saw what Harvey offered for the money, I knew there was no way I could beat it even if I put it together myself. The thing that sold me were the frames. These are GREAT frames for the money, folks. Solid, well-constructed frames, NKB series precision sealed bearings, etc. Go ahead and buy a MUCH more expensive frame from the usual mfgrs......I guarantee it won't be built any better. Also, Harvey stands behind what he sells.

Favorite Trail:   PNF - Laurel Mtn. Trail

Purchased At:   Back Country Outdoors

Similar Products Used:   Custom Built Hardtail w/XT components, etc.
Trek Hardtail - older frame upgraded w/XTR components, etc.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Relic 130mm Fork
Cane Creek Headset
XTR Crank, derailleurs, shifters & disc brakes; SRAM chain & cassette (11-34), Easton Alum. seatpost & riser bar, Bontrager Select wheelset w/Kenda Nevegel tires.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Pisgah Forest, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Strengths:    Comfort and stability of ride on rough terrain
Simplicity and ruggedness of frame design
Ease and range of adjustments of suspension
Reasonably light weight

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any

Bottom Line:
By far the nicest mountain bike I have ever ridden. Perfectly meets my XC/AM riding needs. If there are comparable bikes at this price out there, I don’t know about them. Probably the biggest advantage in buying a HarveyCycle is that Harvey will customize the component package to meet individual needs whatever your riding style – XC, AM, FR, DH or a combination. If you aren’t sure what you need then Harvey will advise.

Favorite Trail:   All in Davidson River area of Pisgah National Forest

Purchased At:   Backcountry Outdoors, 18 Pisgah Hwy, Pisgah Forest, NC 28768, 828 884-4262

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Durango SX

Raceface Ride XC Crankset
Shimano PD-M540 pedals

Submitted by Ryan from Brevard, NC

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    solid bike that i cannot yet outperform

Weaknesses:    maybe weight (but not for this price range)

Bottom Line:
i shopped around, did my research and for the price this is by far the best bang for your buck. Harvey is a joy to do business with too. i love the bike!

Favorite Trail:   bennetts gap

Purchased At:   backcountry outdoors

Similar Products Used:   jamis dakar xlt
specialized fsr

Bike Setup:   manitou black platinum air120 fork, manitou swinger 3way rear, raceface evolve xc crank, candyC pedals, hayes nine hydrolic disc, sram x-9, kenda nevagals on bontrager wheels, easton cane creek and mtb parts

Submitted by Jason Parker a Cross Country Rider from Brevard NC U.S.

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Strengths:    The bike is lite and fast on the trails in Pisgah. The frame seems to be pretty strong. I like how simple the design is and the flat black finish.

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed the bike thus far considering my style of riding. Harvey has always been very helpful and laid back in dealing with me as a customer.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black Platinum air shoock,xt rear derailer,lx front derailer,syncross big box rims,cane creek stem and headset,easton downhill bars and easton seatpost,hayes nine disc brakes with carbon levers,wtb speed seat,kenda john tomac series,truvativ crank set

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Brevard, NC

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    Bike is fairly light-weight and Harvey will work with you to put parts on the bike that best suit your needs. You also can't find a better price for a quality bike like this. It has tackled everything I have thrown at it and then some. It does a good job when climbing as well. Just a great all-around bike.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
You can't find a bike with similar components for a better price, plain and simple. The bike is solid and well made. Harvey treats his customers right. He goes out of his way to make sure you have a great bike that is right for you. I highly recommend harvey cycles and especially the laurel mountain.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah Forest Trails

Purchased At:   Backcountry

Bike Setup:   Laurel Mountain Frame, Manitou Black front fork, Manitou Radium rear shock, Shimano XT

Submitted by PF a Cross Country Rider from Hendersonville,North Carolina

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    The bike handles great,tight switchbacks no problem.Stable platform,no bobbing on seated climbs.Well balanced, not much finesse needed to keep from popping wheelies or loosing traction on steep climbs.Down hill just aim and go.Overall a very comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike at a great price.Back Country Outdoors was a pleasure to do business with. Harvey knows his products and his prices are about as good as it gets.

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XLT 3.0

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black Super 120 mm Front Fork w/ remote lockout
Manitou Radium RL Rear Shock w/ lockout
LX Front Derailleur and Shifters
XT Rear Derailleur
Race Face Ride XC Crankset
Magura Julie Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Deore Disc Hubs/Sun DS2-XC Rims

Submitted by Jackson Amburn a Cross Country Rider from Cullowhee, North Carolina, United States

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2006

Strengths:    Frame strength, suspension setup, components, and value. You get what you pay for.

Weaknesses:    Paint job. Rims and hubs came loose. However, those are component issues not the bike itself.

Bottom Line:
Okay, Harvey has been bugging me for months about putting a review up here, but I needed a while to really test the bike and put it through its trials. It has passed with flying colors. Now, the bottom line: great bike for the money and you pay for what you get. The bike rides very well over bumps, ruts, and jumps extremely well and has very plush suspension. Trust me I have downhilled on it. It takes punishment. With 5 inches of rear travel, one would think that this bike is heavy, its not at all. Mine weighs in at around 28 lbs. The bike also climbs very well, and locking out the rear shock helps a lot!
Okay, now with the downfalls. The rims on the first day got loose, whatever, Harvey tightened them no problem. Second, rear hub became loose, simple tightening job did it well. Third, I broke one of the bolts for my rear shock. However, Harvey being the bike God that he is, sent me one in the mail for free. I was down for two days.
Handling, very good. It corners very well, however I noticed the bike is slightly top heavy and you have to make sure that you corner it correctly or the front tire may lose grip. Thats a user error issue though.
Trails: Wayhehutta- pure downhill with water bars, rock gardens and super fast berms. The laurel mountain stomps this trail. I'm clipped in the whole time on 20% grades and im confident this bike wont let me down, it hasnt yet. Tsali- great trail bike for tsali. Not much I can say. It handles technical stuff very well. Moses Creek- rocky and muddy. Great bike for it. Mud is mud, but the rocks, outrunning hardtails is a nice feeling and feeling your butt at the end is even better.
Okay, so it's a great bike and a great value, so who should really buy this bike? If you like pure climbing speed and xc racing, this isn't your bike. Get an epic, or an anthem. Now, someone who wants to dabble in a little bit of everything? Yes. All mountain? Yes. Some downhill? Yes. XC? You bet. If you are looking for a good value with awesome people backing their products go to brevard at backcountry. Ask for harvey.
One more thing, I will be racing this rig with some upgrades in the fall for the WCU bike team. Ill be doing DH and xc with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Not sure

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock, Giant NRS 1, and Specialized P-1

Bike Setup:   16" frame, Manitou super air black front fork 130mm. Manitou Radium Lockout, Race Face Evolve stem and bar, Race Face Ride XC cranks, Hayes 9 hydros, Sram chain and cassette, Shimano XT rear, Lx front derailers. Bontrager seat and post. Crank Brothers Candy C pedals.

Submitted by Meyrick Camilosa a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent price, Bike is well balanced, light for a full suspension bike.

Bottom Line:
I've put on 50 miles of mountain riding with this baby in a week. The bike just plain awesome. It's very comfortable and tackles rocky obstacles with ease. My downhills are more faster now compared to my hardtail. I have more confident with faster cornering. For the price of what you get, you can't ask for a better deal. Also talking to Harvey was the best bike buying experience I've ever had.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Tam

Purchased At:   www.harveycylcles.com

Similar Products Used:   Trey Y-22

Bike Setup:   5" travel. 2006 Manitou Black front w/lockout, 2006 Manitou Radium rear shock w/lockout, Hayes HFX-9 Carbon brakes( 7 inch front rotor, 6 inch rear rotor ), Bontrager Select wheels, Kenda DTC Nevegal 2.1 kevlar tires. SRAM 9.0 shorty 9 speed shifters, SRAM X-9 rear D, Shimano XT front D, Easton EA 50 stem & seatpost; Cane Creek S2 headset, WTB speed V comp saddle.

Submitted by Tom Ruark a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Strengths:    Bought as a complete bike. For the money, I think it's wonderfully rideable. Lot's of very plush suspension. My wife (it was purchased for her) simply refuses to ride her hard-tail anymore. The frame looks to be very nicely welded. The finish looks sharp (all black and no stickers!). I have ridden the bike at speed and can ride it as fast as my 21 pound hardtail pure xc bike. It grabs corners with gusto, and rolls over roots (major obstacle in FL) very easily, but without killing momentum. It's a great setup and Harvey is very cool to deal with (knowledgeable and a good communicator).

Weaknesses:    The manual for the rear shock answers very few questions. Not really a problem if you have half a brain and internet service. Actually, Harvey provided the info I needed!

Bottom Line:
It's pretty much like Harvey says, for the money it's a no-brainer. Nice components, great frame, great ride, damn fast, able to do reasonable drops without a hitch (it's not made for hucking off of houses and that's OK, because we ride our bikes up-hill too. You won't see us pushing a bike ever! Yes, we have hills in Florida).

Favorite Trail:   Santos Ant Hill

Purchased At:   Back Country Outdoors

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list! Motobecane HT and DS with Manitou and SID forks etc.....

Bike Setup:   Manitou 3-way Swinger Air shock, Hayes Hydraulics, Manitou fork, XT Rhyno-Lite rear....

Submitted by Rusty Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Norcross, Ga. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2006

Strengths:    GREAT dollar value. Never get tired of riding it.

Weaknesses:    Had to have a few things tightened and adjusted after my first ride but I guess that is natural after the pounding I gave it.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a blast to ride. It can take a pounding and it just keeps on going. Every time I ride I don't want to stop. Climbs great and the down hills are as smooth as silk.

Harvey at BackCountry Outdoors is GREAT to deal with. How often do you get a bike built to order by its namesake? EVERYTIME at BackCountry Outdoors.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Backcountry Outdoors, Pisgah Forest, N.C.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   5" of travel. Manitou Black front, Manitou Radium rear shocks. Sunrise DS-XC rims. TrailBear tires. XT rear D and LX front D. Cane Creek SS head set, Syncros stem and RaceFace low riser handlebars. Magura Julie juicey disc brakes.

Submitted by Michael Murphy a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent price/value equation. Fun and comfortable; great for all day epic rides.

Weaknesses:    Factory built Sun DS2-XC wheelset.

Bottom Line:
A lot of bang for the buck; at $1500, this Harvey model delivers a great ride without breaking the bank.
Very robust frameset is plush without being too heavy. Climbs well and is more nimble than I expected. Performance is comparable to peer bike at twice the cost.

The nice folks at Back Country Outfitters are a pleasure to work with. They quickly and courteously replaced a rear wheel that blew up with less than 100 miles on it. And how often can one deal directly with namesake of a bike? Looking for a great value? Look no futher than Harvey Bicycles.
Visit Backcountry Outdoors