Harvey Cycles DSF XC Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The DSF is the perfect bike for riders who enjoy burning up cross country miles, but who also need a longer travel bike from time-to-time. The 4" setting will handle most any siuation, with 5" of travel avaliable when a forgiving travel is needed. Use the 3" setting when a stiffer setup is needed, as when racing, fast cross country riding, or long rainy days of gravel road exploring.

Submitted by Nicholas Mileti a Weekend Warrior from Cullowhee, NC, US

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    this bike handels extremly well. It is very easy to J-hop over logs and other obstacles in the trail. The suspension no mater what travel you have it set at seams to keep the tires on the grond and give good trackion.The frame is very light and easy to through around in the air or on the ground. the geometry of the frame is great. Depending on how you set it up it can go from felling like a XC bike to MX bike. This bike allows me to go on long Back country rides but still be able to easilly keep up with my friends on the occational downhill run.

Weaknesses:    the short shock stroak makes it very difficult to get the rear suspension feeling just the way you like it specially when it is set in the 5" travel position. Allso the pivot that conects the rear shock to the Four bar linkage seams to show where and tear very early on.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line this is a awsome deal. its light enough for XC raceing but beefy enough to handle even some of the roughest back country trails.I would recomend this for anyone who races XC because it is a fast bike, plain and semple. And for those light weight riders like me being around 140 pounds it is the perfect all mountain bike that can handle the occational Gap jump or 6 foot drop

Favorite Trail:   Black mountain

Purchased At:   Back country

Similar Products Used:   04 specialized enduro, GT temberline, Santacruz superlight, Gary fisher shugar, Specialized P2, Weyless 67, and specialized Rock Hoper.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Radium rear shock
Manitou Minute 1:00
Raceface Evolve stem and seat post
Enduro riser bar
Maxxes Minion FR 2.3 tires
Yeti Lock on grips

Submitted by Wayne Argabright a Cross Country Rider from Wedgefield

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2005

Strengths:    5 inches of travel for less weight then my Old C-Dale Jekyll!!! Super plush, and with the SPV dampening the bike doesn’t Spin out on the climbs!! The rear tire just sticks!!! and going Down hill, WOW what a difference!!! I am now only limited by my fear, not the bike!!

Weaknesses:    None yet/ will do a more indepth review when I have more seat time.

Bottom Line:
Great customer service and a Great price, with ANY of the Major bike companies you are forced to Have it their way with Harvey bikes you can pick and choose what YOU want, and still get an unbeatable price as long as you like Black. With “other” bikes you are paying a premium for them to Advertise on YOUR bike.. Yeah my set up cost me about 500 bucks more, but the Cranks & Fork alone will easily exceed that amount. In the past I was forced to buy what was on the show room, and then remove the parts I didn’t like and sell them (if lucky), and buy the parts I liked; Costing me time and money.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Purchased At: Harvey Cycles (BackCountry Outdoors) Pisgah Forest, NC

Similar Products Used:   C-Dale Jeckel, C-dale F-800

SRAM X9 grip shifter
SRAM PG 970 11-34T Cassette
Sram PC 69 Chain
Shimano XT M760 180mm crank
Time ATAC XS Pedals, off my old bike!
Avid disks
Race face DH bar
Race Face Evolve Seatpost
WTB Seat

Submitted by Claude from Florida

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a reason to buy a full suspension this is it!
I have ridden a GT hard tail for six years. I have always been looking for an excuse to get a full suspension. After visiting Back Country and checking out the Harvey Cycles you can not go wrong. Price, quality, and performance it is all there in one package. Not two many hills in Florida. I get up to Pisgah two to three times a year. When I do, I like to hit the down hill hard just because I do not get enough of it. This bike offered me the flexibility of adjustable suspension, front and rear along with front and rear lockout. Just a great all around setup for someone who travels to different conditions. My only issue was the Manitou Splice was a bit too soft to my liking. Harvey changed the spring out with a higher rate one, it is perfect now. I have punished this bike on Black Mountain and Clawhammer along with some smaller trails so far it has held up to everything!

Purchased At:   Back Country Outdoors, Pisgah Forest, NC