Haro XLS R5 XC Full Suspension

4.76/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by Phil Chadwick a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, ca

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    lightweight, great rear shock, quality components, durable, climbs hills like a hardtail (VERY important for me).

Weaknesses:    stock front shock could be a little better.

Bottom Line:
bought it used from a hardcore rider who rode it weekly for 2+ years. It is my 1st entry into a "real" bike, previous bikes were either store brand (ok, but cheap components), or not right for me.
this is a great bike- climbs hills very easily, and after a few years of abuse from previous owner, it still rides nice. I'm looking forward to a good couple of years with this bike.

Purchased At:   local seller (used)

Similar Products Used:   sport chalet amx axion, Giant atx-990.

Bike Setup:   stock components w/ Wellgo pedals

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    VERY light for full suspension entry level, front shocks, SRAM components, AVID BB5 brakes ok,

Weaknesses:    Rear air shock does not have a lock-out feature (what do you expect from a $1000 bike though?), but it's not adjustable. Pedals are weak, but sufficient for most beginners.

Bottom Line:
After reading the reviews below, i went ahead and purchased this bike from the LBS (local bike shop). I have NO regrets about it. This is indeed a superb bike for just $1000!!!!
The SRAM components are excellent and the bike climbs very quickly. My only concern is that the rear shock doesn't adjust so you can't control the damping...unless you lower the pressure.
If you're a beginner and want one of the best entry level FS bike below $1000 then this might be it for you!

Favorite Trail:   all of them!

Purchased At:   LBS (Pat's 605 Cyclery)

Bike Setup:   Added: Shimano M520 pedals, Titec bar ends, Oury grips, Lizard skins chainguard

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2006

Strengths:    Holds up well under harsh trails. I love the front suspension. Very light weight.

Weaknesses:    I would rather have Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove combo instead of Komodos. Mech Disc instead of Hydros. Pedals SUCK unless you like clipless shoes

Bottom Line:
FREAKEN AWESOME BIKE...I wouldn;t change a thing!

Similar Products Used:   Dakar Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock all except new pedals

Submitted by oren krakov from Rehovot, Israel

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2005

Strengths:    This review is for the Shift R5 2005 model.
I use stock setup.these really rock for me.First, i liked SRAM components very much: trigger shifters are great (x.7),rear der. (x.7) works flawlessly (and i gave it a hard time riding 120 km in 2 days),brakes are not hydraulic but for that budget you cant go any better and it has enogh stop power for me (not for downhillers!),the single pivot method is very effective and it climbes very well ,no "bobobob..." .front shock is great: 130 mm. and for last, it looks great in blue (very important!!!).

Weaknesses:    Shocks are not ajustable (although generous),pedals are very week (i'm about to replace it to shimano m520) ,saddle is a bit hard ( i think of replacing it as well) and for last :these are not perfect for short riders,standover clearence is not good enough i compromised on that because all other things make up for it.

Bottom Line:
Best value for money!!!! I've been in almost every shop and asked about evry brand (trek,gf,specialized,kona etc.) and these are the best i got for a new 2005 1000$ bike.
I ride it 1-3 times a week and enjoy it very very much!!!
If you have a low budget and want a good full suspention bike, go for it !

Favorite Trail:   Beeri

Purchased At:   matzman-merutz

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher sugar 4+ (test ride),haro v3 (hardtail, 1.5 years)

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2005

Strengths:    Can't say specifically, as my knowledge is lacking. I like the shocks alot, and it feels very durable, and I'm definately happy with what I got for the price I paid.

Weaknesses:    I have had this bike for less than a month. I have had a flat rear tire twice in the last week, and I haven't even taken it to the mountains yet. Very discouraging, I'm almost scared now to get too far away from civilization.

And it's red...

Bottom Line:
Sweet ride. Great price. Dissapointed about the rear tire, but don't know if it's the quality, or just really bad luck. I am surprised at how much more I got by spending the money to get a decent bike. I can say that I will never go back to a retail store bike again, and can't wait 'till I step it up again for my next bike! Recommended for anyone that wants to take the plunge into serious biking.

Favorite Trail:   Kincaid

Purchased At:   Paramount Cycles

Similar Products Used:   This is my first serious mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   All stock, except for the foot straps I took off of the pedals, and the front tire reflector I took off because it rattled. Plan on replacing the pedals as soon as I can.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2004

Strengths:    Solid frame, wheels, comfortable seat.

Weaknesses:    Judy front shock, brakes, Rock Shock Frame Shock, Tires.

Bottom Line:
I know my bike is now more like an XLS Werks, but, it was a good platform to start with no matter what your budget. In the beginning (6 months ago) it was a great beginners bike. Now, thanks to riding 4 - 5 times a week, I have advanced to some pretty technical single track. As I have advanced I have been able to adapt the bike to my new riding style. As I have added new components to the bike I have been able to sell the original components on E-Bay. I have now spent a total of $1850.00 on the bike with $300.00 returned to me by E-Bay sells so I have a net of about $1500.00 in the bike. Still pretty good since it is nicer than most Santa Cruz's out there, which start at about $3200.00. I would purchase it again and make the same changes if I had to do it again.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont

Purchased At:   Carolina-Fatz

Bike Setup:   Added Manitou Black Elite Front Shock, Cane Creek Cloud Nine Rear Shock, Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Disk Brakes, Shimano Hollowtech II Crankset, and Continental Vertical Pro Tires.

Submitted by Saar a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    Geometry fits XC and Trail riding, frame is stiff, durable rims, nice gears, good rear shock.

Weaknesses:    Fork, pedals, ineffective chainstay protection against chain slap.

Bottom Line:
As my riding varies between XC climbing, technical trails, singletrack riding and some free ride, this bike is just right for me. It does it all with ease, it climbs with no pedal bob, it handle the rough trails and technical ascents/descents easily, it isvery durable and is easily adjustable and can be tweaked to fit any rider.

The fork must go!

Favorite Trail:   Anything technical

Similar Products Used:   Demoed various full suspension bikes.

Bike Setup:   Swapped the Judy XC with a Marzocchi Z3 (Red of course!)
Swapped the pedals with Shimano M520 SPD
Added an ugly but effective chanstay protection.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2004

Strengths:    Price, beautiful frame, nice geometry for tall riders, good mechanical disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox Judy XC. Pedals. Kenda Karma tires don't inspire confidence on loose So. Cal. terrain.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an outstanding deal. It handles very well even for my size, 6'3" 200lbs, and the mechanical brakes work great. I started off as a novice with this bike and have progressed in the past six months to a point where I can ride just about any trail in San Diego (within reason). The steeps and climbs just don't seem as steep anymore since I've discovered what this bike can handle. The only time I've lost control was due to a flat tire (no fun flying over the handlebar into the bushes).

I've seen lighter setups, particularly Marin bikes, but you can't beat the price.

I know looks aren't so important in a cross country/freeride bike but this bike looks great. Most of my riding buddies don't bother cleaning their bikes more than once a year but I feel compelled to dust the Haro off after every ride just because it looks so good. I even found a Bell Influx red and white helmet that matches the bike color scheme perfectly.

Overall a great buy for a full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   North Penasquitos Canyon from Sabre Springs

Purchased At:   Action Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Replaced seatpost clamp with quick-release. Replacing pedals with Crank Bros. Mallets as soon as I can find a pair of wide SPD shoes that fit. Will be replacing the front fork with a Marzocchi as soon as I can afford to. The original seat isn't bad. Replaced it anyway with a cushier specalized lightweight gel seat. Swapped out Kenda tires for Panaracer Fire XC Pros.

Submitted by Brian Dotson a Cross Country Rider from Concord, NC

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Strengths:    Killer frame design, stiff & relatively light weight, unbelievable price point

Weaknesses:    None I've come across yet

Bottom Line:
I said I'd come back after a while to let you all know how this bike held up across the summer. It's not been quite 3 months but that was the nearest choice on the form we fill out to review here. As I pointed out, this was a Father's Day present for me so I did some upgrades in an effort to build my dream machine. I got it alright! I did ride the Rock Shock Judy a bit - not a bad stock fork at all but I'm 240 lbs and 6'4" or so - and the Judy just wasn't quite enough so I brought in my old trusty Marzocchi. Having air suspension front and rear is really sweet! I run 26 PSI in the fork and it's perfect! The RS BAR ADJUST shock does very well for me - I run 175 PSI in it and the ride is wonderful! Very easy to dial in! The AVIDS I added are everything people said they would be.

Enough about the upgrades - the HARO itself is outstanding. The finish is holding up well as I ride through some really rocky stuff with underbrush being an issue sometimes. The saddle (WTB) is great - small light but not too hard at all! The geometry is very very good, the bike takes fast rocky downhills arrow striaght and rock solid inspiring new confidence while still being quite nimble on tight singletrack. The stock bars setup is a bit wide but I left it as is and have found the change to be an improvement for me oddly enough. The cranks are STIFF and seem to have no flex at all for me - perfect!!! Wheels have stayed true with no problems, despite some real smacks on some larger rocks at speed. Just think you can't go wrong with this bike! Mine weighs in at 28 lbs which I consider very good for s bike with about 4 inches front and rear! If you're a wieght fiend, there's lighter stuff to be had - but I doubt at this price. If you're looking for a tremendous steal on a great Cross Country or semifreeride - this is your ticket!!! Just an all around great deal - I never worry about my bike now - it's all up to me, the bike puts it all back where it should be!!! Have never, ever been more satisfied with a bike purchase than this!!!

Favorite Trail:   Beech Spring

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Demoed Trek Fuel, and GT Idrive

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z.5 Bomber (2001 model) fork, Avid mech Disc brakes, WTB Velociraptor tires, Time ATAC carbon pedals

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City MO USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    This bike has an awesome cockpit for taller people. The suspension gives you a nice ride but can still hold up to pretty big jumps. The rear shock has absolutely zero pedal bob under the hardest pedaling.

Weaknesses:    Makes your friends mad becasue they will be jealous.

Bottom Line:
You need this bike! This is the best bang for your buck that is acutally affoardable and has outstanding performance and quality. My friends spent upwards of $2000 on their bikes and and they like mine better.

Purchased At:   Cycle City

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 4

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Bill S. a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, Wa. clark

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    great geometry, lightweight, easy bike to get used to.

Weaknesses:    pedals seem a little scimpy for the quality of the rest of the components. No other weaknesses in my opinion though.

Bottom Line:
I honestly can`t gripe about anything being that i got such a great deal on it. (And yes it was brand new never ridden) All in all i am very pleased with the haro. This is the third haro i have bought and they seem to be very good quality!!

Purchased At:   copeland sports, portland, Or.

Similar Products Used:   giant

Bike Setup:   all stock for now,will upgrade pedals soon.

Submitted by chris johnson a Weekend Warrior from bountiful, ut

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    light weight. excellent specs for a bike thats only $1000. runs smooth and geometry is great for this type of bike.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for my wife but shes just a few inches shorter than me so i ride it when i do xc. Im extremely impressed with this bike. It rides really smooth and me and my wife both love it. The front and rear rock shox feel great for what you normally get on a $1000 bike. It makes the uphill super easy but its adjustable enough to get a perfect mix for riding back down the mountain too. Excellent bike for the price and i would recommend it to anyone.

Purchased At:   pedersens

Bike Setup:   stock with a softer saddle

Submitted by Justin Rempe a Cross Country Rider from Loganville, GA USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    Great geometry, great overall design, good starting components, relatively light for a full suspension w/ disc brakes, and tough as nails on the trail. The Hayes disc mechanical brakes are fabulous for downhill...little to no noise at all, and great stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Pedals are pretty junky, but who doesn't swap them out right off the bat anyway? Seatpost clamp (I can't stand anything but the quick adjust kind)...mostly just nit-picky stuff.

Bottom Line:
Matt Bennett at Lifetime really helped me out a ton when I was trying to decide on what bike to get. For the money, you CAN NOT go wrong with the Haro XLS series (specifically the R5 and R7). It is a very capable cross-country bike, and it has everything you need to hit the trail and do some moderate downhill style riding. If you get the suspension setup right, there will be no tail bob when pedaling (even when standing), and yet it will still soak up some pretty serious hits (believe me, I found plenty of hits to soak up). I chose the XLS R5 for several reasons. First, it's overall affordability for initial purchase. The XLS R7 is also a great initial purchase, but I do not care for some of the components. Second, as silly as it sounds, I prefer the overall look of the R5 (and red is my color). Also the hydraulic brakes in the R7 I feel would be a little more problematic than the mechanical Hayes on the R5. Any way you look at it, the Haro XLS R5 is a serious bike for anyone...whether beginner or advanced/experienced rider. I give it 5 flamin' chilis for value, and 5 flamin' chilis for the overall rating. Get this bike...you will not be disappointed! Thanks again Matt!

Favorite Trail:   Agricultural trail near Gainesville College (985N to exit 16)

Purchased At:   Lifetime Bikes in Loganville, GA

Similar Products Used:   None, really. Former Haro and Mongoose BMX owner who wants to bloody himself on a few trees...

Bike Setup:   Added the follwing components to the stock setup;
*Salsa 35mm quick release seatpost adjuster clamp ($20)
*Pyramid pedals (great deal for the money-$35)
*Panaracer Fire Pro XC 2.1 x 26 rear tire ($25)

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Fredericton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    Light (for FS), rugged, adjustable rear shock.

Weaknesses:    Bad stock pedals, somewhat strange shape for my dimensions, difficult to shoulder.

Bottom Line:
I am an adventure racer, 6' and 235 lbs. My legs are 32"... I'm not sure if that is normal or not, but I found that the bike seemed high. I have the medium model which seems high, but with stock parts it wasn't long enough. After my handle bar and stem setup was changed this problem was solved.

I find the bike very fast compared to what I was used to (Norco NX 2000... a FS bike suitable for heavy recreational use). The stearing was also very sensative in comparison. I really like its speed and handling. It climbs hills very well, and there is minimal bounce in the rear shock while cranking hard.

The front fork seem great for me, but I don't do much heavy jumping... only what I have to to get along. The front fork's travel really lets you make your own trail in light to moderate brush.

The rear shock is in the way of a comfortable shoulder carry, and the bottom of the seat is pretty rough on the shoulder too. I am going to experiment a little more with carrying the bike before I lose hope.

I have yet to drag it through a bog or submerge it in mud. I suspect it will handle a race as well as anything. I will update if otherwise.

It seems to be a great bike for the $$$. I was prepared to pay a lot more for a similar product, but I found the Haro it has been great.

Purchased At:   Savage's

Similar Products Used:   Norco NX 2000... not quite on the same level as the Haro, but its what I used for adventure racing.

Bike Setup:   Swapped the stock stem for a 130 mm 10 deg easton piece, got a wider handlebar with a larger angle. Clipless pedals.

Submitted by Brian Dotson a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome bike for the buck! The LX rear derailler makes for super smooth shifts, the fox air rear shock is very tunable and does great for a big guy (6'4" and 240lbs). The geometry is good as the bike turns well, climbs very nicely and feels exceptionally stable at speed. The cranks feel great to me - better than my Deore Hollowtechs - no creaks and the power seems to go right to the rear wheel without any mush. I've noticed no bob at all with the suspension yet it is very plush. I swapped out the fork for my old Marzzochi Z.5 Bomber so I've got air front and rear and it is quite a smooth ride. I also swapped out the Hayes for Avid Mechs - need I say more?

Weaknesses:    Fork is not so hot - doesn't match the rest of the bike IMO.

Bottom Line:
For $1020 I've got an incredible bike - the XLS R5 is just so much bike for the buck! I know - I swapped out some key components - but to be fair, I didn't even try the Hayes brakes, I just upgraded to the AVIDs as I'd heard so much about them. Re: the fork, if I was 25lbs lighter, I think it would have done fine probably. I just prefer my Marzocchi (as most Bomber owners will tell ya!). Pedals? Now who isn't gonna swap those out on most any bike first thing? Bottom line - this is a FS dream with a killer core to build on and a great start already!

Favorite Trail:   Catawba Riverfront

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Demoed GT I Drive.

Bike Setup:   Time ATAC pedals, Marzocchi Z.5 fork, Avid Mechanical Discs, the rest OEM.

Value of Haro XLS R5???

My trailbike is a 2004 Haro XLS R5. I just built a Salsa Caballero as a "race" bike (if you can consider my slow a$$ a racer). Additionally, I just received a Felt F65 for my birthday (I'm married to the greatest wife). So, a friend of mine was admiring my Haro and my wife was saying since I don ... Read More »

2004 Haro XLS R7 vs. 2005 Haro Shift R5

These are basically the same bike just branded differently. The frame is slightly different on the '05s. I could not find much good info on the new Haros online. Thanks for your help. 2004 Haro XLS R7 (lists at $1700, I think I can get it for ~$1400) -better components -same frame geometry - ... Read More »