Haro Sonix XC Full Suspension

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

• Mountain Biking Magazine’s XC Bike of the Year.
  • New patented Virtual Link 120mm suspension frame.
  • RockShox Tora 318 Air fork paired with RockShox MC3.1 shock.
  • Shimano LX/Deore drivetrain.
  • Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Marlin a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Great suspension on down hill runs and when just hitting holes in the trail.
    Also, the Disc breaks are great!
    Climbs up loose trails and if you set the rear shock (dial it +) for up hill it feels like a hard tail climbing!
    Front Shocks can be set to almost complete lockout which is nice on road or hard pack trails with little need for it.
    Rebound on rear shock is cool also!
    The tires are very stable on the trails and gravel packed areas too, holds to the road well and agile.
    VLS suspension is great!

Weaknesses:    Well, none so far!
    Just make sure you have your air PSI right in the front and rear shocks according to your Body weight, I'm 5'10" at 210 Lbs. and running 200 PSI in rear shock, feels great!
    (note rear shock is max 250 psi)

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike and how it feels when riding it! The MSRP is $1300. and if you can find one in good shape try to get it!
    It handles great on down hill runs and sticks to the ground, Also, I feel agile on it when hitting hard bumps on the downhill descent! Going up hill, no pogo or bob and the tires dig in as you grind out the hills!
    I'm in mine at 50 percent of the MSRP. I didn't plan on giving that much for a 2008 bike, but when I went to the shop they told me that it had not been ridden much, not much at all. Man, that was an understatement because everything was as new looking as the 2012 Bikes in the shop, LoL. So, I haggled them down from 800. to 650. Great deal for both of us!
    I'm Happy with the Bike!

Favorite Trail:   Va. Creeper Trail

Purchased At:   Piney Flats Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Free Spirit, Schwinn, Cannondale, and Diamondback.

Bike Setup:   All stock: 18" Frame with 5" clearance, Shimano Deore LX gears and Hydraulic Disc Breaks, Ritchey handlebars, and looking to upgrade pedals to Candies and seat.

Submitted by mojoman2010 a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy bike. The VLS system does work and just needs the right psi in the rear shock to work right.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, heavy, heavy, which is to expected on this price range.

Bottom Line:
    It's to early to tell at this point. My old Cannondale is so light it's almost sad to put it to pasture, and at 6-1 215 I've beaten the hell out of that old warhorse.
    Cable rub is a real problem on this bike which I placed the little rubber thingy's on. Be sure the pressure's are set right specifically on the rear shock. This will eliminate tail bob. Here around Houston we don't have the alpine descents, but we have subtle knolls which are usually muddy, rooty, and littered with beer cans, with a meth lab here and there, so this level of bike fits the bill.

Favorite Trail:   trashed, stumpy hellholes

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FXC, Cannondale f900 (1998)

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Niall Mc a Cross Country Rider from cheshire, uk

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    no tail bob when pounding it up hills. the VLS system really works. beautifuly smooth gear changes.

Weaknesses:    minor tail bob on flat ground when accelerating and in saddle. brakes feel a bit squishy and scream.

Bottom Line:
    great first full suspension bike. feels more like a hardtail to ride but takes the edge off impacts and totally absorbs smaller bumps, giving you the confidence to take bumpy sections at speed without compramising uphill sections. I would really recommend this bike to any one who like a hardtail but wants to be a bit more adventurous with the line they take and the speed they take it.

Favorite Trail:   llandegla

Purchased At:   decathlon stockport

Similar Products Used:   pinnacle evo II

Bike Setup:   stock:- rockshox tora 289 fork, rockshox bar 2.1 rear shock, avid Juicy 3's, travativ firex crankset, sram X7 derailer, wtb speed disk wheelset. wtb finishing kit

Submitted by ÉneGêBê a Cross Country Rider from Lisbon, Portugal

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
    I loved this bike from the moment I saw it! And when I found out it was voted XC bike of the year by Mountain Biking UK Magazine, I had to look deeper.

I also felt the bob on flatground, but it's almost nothing and it doesn't affect your riding at all.

I ride a '16 and have so much fun with it. I never had a full suspension before and this works perfectly for me. It's a great transition bike! It's the best bike I had in a LONG time!

Purchased At:   Decathlon Lisbon

Submitted by Medboy a Cross Country Rider from Logan, Ut.

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs like a Goat, great brakes, and low weight!!

Weaknesses:    None!!!

Bottom Line:
    I think this is the best bike for people looking to go from a hardtail to full suspension. I truly believe that it climbs better than any hardtail that I have ever had. It's light weight, has awesome brakes and great suspension. I would recommend this bike for any Trail Rider!!

Favorite Trail:   Steel Hollow