Haro Shift R5 XC Full Suspension

• SRAM X.7 trigger shifters / rear derailleur
  • Shimano SPD clipless pedals

Submitted by Justin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    Bullet proof frame/suspension

Weaknesses:    Getting long in the tooth weight wise/newer bikes are lighter

Bottom Line:
I picked this up from a friend in 2009 so I'm going on 4yrs and the bike is almost a decade old. I have changed out just about everything except Frame/shock, stem, seatpost & cranks(cranks to be changed soon). My friend called my bike frankenstein but its got such great bones that I continue to upgrade whatever I need to. There isnt an incentive to buy new. The frame has a qtr size dent in the side upbar but it keeps on ticking. It actually isnt that heavy compared to most bikes built for specialization like downhillers or all mountian. This bike can do both along with XC and some jumping so considering it does so many things well, one can excuse a few extra pounds. My friends carbon XC bikes are much more fragile. I have demo'd some newer bikes and then jumped back on my old dog and didnt get that "new car" envy. If can pick this frame up, its a awesome platform to work with. Like I said bullet proof

Favorite Trail:   Helipad - South Mountain

performance flat pedals
FunEZ mech disk brakes

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Fontana, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Affordable full suspension bike. Got it on close out.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike. Done a lot of riding on every surface(dirt, rock, sand). Ate it several times. Not gentle with the bike and it comes back for more. Solid frame and components. Upgrading tires to 2.3 width with better traction.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   incycle

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Stock: Fork=Marzocchi 22 RLO, 120mm travel; Rear Shock=RockShox Bar 2.1, 120mm travel; Brakeset=Hayes MX4 Mechanical w/ 6" Rotor brakes, Tektro alloy levers; Shift Levers=SRAM X.5; Front Derailleur=Shimano Deore;
Rear Derailleur=SRAM X.7; Crankset=Truvativ ISO Flow 3.0, 44/32/22 teeth; Pedals=Upgraded to shimano clips; Bottom Bracket=TruVativ Power Spline; Rear Cogs=9-speed, 11 - 32 teeth; Chain=Shimano HG53; Seatpost=Pivit Alloy Micro Adjust, 30.9mm diameter; Saddle=WTB Rocket V Como;
Handlebar=Ritchey Riser; Handlebar Stem=Pivit Alloy OS;
Headset=1 1/8" threadless Ritchey Logic V2; Front wheel= Pivit Disc; Rear wheel: Shimano M475 disc;Rims=Ritchey Girder XC, 32-hole; Tires=26 x 2.1" Kenda Komodo;
Spoke Brand=Stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm)

Submitted by J.J. a Cross Country Rider from knoxville tn usa

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Strengths:    I bought just the frame
Single pivot frame One pivot,two bearings

Weaknesses:    None that I've found

Bottom Line:
This is a solid bike Great for trail riding or all mountain riding.and the simplicity of a single pivot design is hard to beat,It can handle 4 foot drops all day long it corners great at high speeds it has no lateral flex,It handles well at low speed,And is comfortable enough for an all day ride.As with any full suspension bike if you pedal in squares or box pedal you will get pedal bob and it is a little more noticeable on any single pivot bike than it is on a four bar or a DW link frame,But you shouldn't be box pedaling anyways so problem solved.overall I think this is a great bike and I have been completely satisfied with it.

Favorite Trail:   if it's got dirt I'll ride it

Purchased At:   Panther Creek Bicycl

Similar Products Used:   Fezzari cascade peak

Bike Setup:   shimano slx 2X9 crank with bash guard,Sram XO shifters,Sram X9 rear derailliur Sram X9 front Avid juicy 5 brakes,Rock Shox revalation fork

Submitted by Obi-Juan a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Strengths:    Simplicity of a single pivot, good components, strenght of the frame. Love the Shock, the WTB seat and the SRAM drivetrain.

Weaknesses:    The handlebar seems a little narrow, the tires are fast rolling but can´t handle mud or rooty terrain. Also for me the stock fork was a noodle so I upgraded to a Reba with a 20mm thru-axle. The hub I bought for my frontwheel is a Transition Revolution (Anodized red) and it looks and performs great.

Bottom Line:
This is a great ride to make the transition from a cross country hardtail to something more versatile. You need to make some upgrades as you start riding more. For me the next upgrade will be the disc-brakes, I´ll probably get some Hygia Elites. Next on line might be the rear Transition Revolution hub.

Favorite Trail:   Universisad de la Paz

Purchased At:   Bicimontaña

Similar Products Used:   My Cannondale hardtail which was a really trust-worthy and handled like a real crosscountry rocket, but lacked the versatility of a good double suspension trailbike. I also had a Haro Extreme X3 but the frame size was a little small for me (16”) so it was heaven on downhills and hell on the uphills… I´m riding a happy medium between the two and I´m extremely pleased so far.

Bike Setup:   Frame Shift 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum; 120mm Wheel Travel
Brakes Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic w/ 160mm Rotors
Brake Lever Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic

Submitted by shawnpitchford a Cross Country Rider from paducah, ky, usa

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    Strong Frame, good to great starting components, cost, and not being like everyone else's bike.

Weaknesses:    Quick release levers are not as good as trek. Seat is not that great.

Bottom Line:
I got this cause I liked how it looked, I wouldn't have to upgrade the components right off the back, and I didn't want what everyone else had.
I took the bike on the Canal Loop here in Kentucky, and this bike rode beautifully. I've never rode it as fast as I did with this bike.
You will not be disappointed, as I am not.
You will probably want to upgrade the shocks to fox though. I also want the avid juicy discs.

Favorite Trail:   Canal Loop, ky

Purchased At:   Hooper's

Similar Products Used:   First Full suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   Hydro brakes (tek), Richey stems, sram x-7, kenda tires.

Submitted by jasen08shiftR5 a Cross Country Rider from Fort Wayne, IN U.S.

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2009

Strengths:    The only thing stock is the frame, so as far as the frame goes it seems bullet proof....it's taken anything I've thrown at it..

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I love this bike it does everything I need it to do. For what I paid I'm extremely happy with my purchase. As a kid all I rode was Haro, I'm from the oldschool days...

Favorite Trail:   Fronke

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None first bike

Bike Setup:   Sram x.0 drivetrain w/x.0 shifters,Manitou 4 way air,E-13 Chain guide 32 special,E-13 32 Front ring,Sunline V1 Handle bar,Sunline 65mm Stem,Thompson Elite Seat post,V2 saddle,M4 Hayes mechanical brakes,Factory built Marzocchi 44 140mm,Pivot rims and hubs

Submitted by SnappedSeat a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    Rugged frame that can take anything you throw at it.

Weaknesses:    bad componentry for an XC'er

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike. I got it with a cross country set up but quickly changed it. I threw on a six inch fork and put on a 7.5 inch shock to slacken it out and drop the bottom bracket. On top of this i also put on heavier componentry to toughen it up.
This bike has taken everything i can through at it. whether its a thirty foot table top or a ten foot drop to flat, this thing handles it like a champ. Along with free riding and downhilling on this frame it turns out to be a great dirt jumper/4X bike. I have been using this bike for things that no bike should ever take, yet i have no dents or cracks to speak of. To put it simple this bike will never die and thats why i love it.
This is the only bike that I can think of that will stay with me ten years from now.

Favorite Trail:   Tombstone

Purchased At:   my dad

Similar Products Used:   Turner RFX,

Bike Setup:   marzocchi z1 lite, formula k24 w/ carbon levers, limited edition sunline v1 purple bars with yellow lock-ons, white transition revolution 32's on red hubs, fox DHX 5.0, sram 990 cassette, x7 everything, single ring front w/ holzfeller cranks, Thompson elite stem, Thompson elite seatpost, WTB pure-v saddle

Submitted by ARCHANGEL111 a Cross Country Rider from Alabama

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Sheer awesomeness!!! The Shift R5 can take anything the trail can throw at it! I think I've crashed once and that was when it had just rained in a 100 degree turn. The shocks are great, wonderful disk breaks, plus it looks like a newborn motorcycle!

Weaknesses:    Just give it the basic tune-up every couple of years. You'll be fine.

Bottom Line:
I just started college, and this baby turns every one of the 24,000 heads it flies by. This bike goes where other bikes can't. It looks like a flippin' motorcycle compared to the average Joe's bike, and it can take LOADS of punishment while giving you the smoothest ride out there. In other words...BUY ONE!!!

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Sorry, but I've never had a bike anywhere near this great. ^_^

Bike Setup:   Topeak rear fender and luggage rack, Planet Bike downtube fender, 2 Planet Bike 1 watt Superflash headlights and Superflash Stealth tail lights, basic rockguard, Asus bike-lock-cable mounting brackets.

Submitted by JoeMountains a Cross Country Rider from Asheville,NC

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Strengths:    I am 5'10 185lbs and the frame didn't squeeze or creak. I bought a medium frame size. the fork is very compotent for the jumps hit. the climbing was just as good on my hardtail, even in the mud. the stock shock was easy to setup and tune

Weaknesses:    for the pprice point it sold for originally and what I paid for the bike, I am happy with the components and amount of adjustments that I can make.

Bottom Line:
for what I have saved versus buying new, I will be able upgrade the parts I want to and still be better off with someone else having paid the retail tag.

Favorite Trail:   Kitzuma

Purchased At:   used, found on craig

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rockhopper, Giant Reign 3.

Bike Setup:   it is stock except for the new Continetal tires. I will be replacing the Sram X7 w X9 from front to rear and new rim.

Submitted by Negron169 a Cross Country Rider from Bronx, NY

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2009

Strengths:    Great single pivot design similar to Santa Cruz. Good rear shock.

Weaknesses:    needs a longer top tube. Can't think of anything else so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for someone who doesn't want a lot of travel, but needs a full suspension bike to get the job done on the trails. I've ridden this bike on some pretty technical stuff, and it's held up really well. It's also a pretty agile bike. If you go with the weight weenie components, it could probably serve as a decent xc racer. I have no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Sprain Ridge park

Purchased At:   Castle Hill Bikes

Bike Setup:   I have this bike set up with entry level shimano components, Kenda nevegal 2.35 tires, avid mech brakes, & thomson seatpost.

Submitted by chavachris a Weekend Warrior from costa rica

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
I just have a question... I would like to know if this bike it is only for downhill or cross crountry or freeride... or for everything.. what is the best? any comments will be appreciate
chavachris@yahoo.com
costa rica

Purchased At:   costa rica

Submitted by Kevin K a Cross Country Rider from Franklin, TN

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    Go price/bike for getting started

Weaknesses:    lower end components but easy to upgrade

Bottom Line:
This bike has been solid for the most part. The stock fork is junk. Easy bike to maintain since there is only one place to service for the rear suspension. After all my upgrades i am very pleased with its performance. I will continue to upgrade the drivetrain components to improve it.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Purchased At:   Sun Ski and Sports

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to: Mavic 717 wheelset, panaracer xc tires, Avid BB7 brakes, RockShox Revalation 426 fork, SPD M540 pedals

Submitted by Brian Dennehy from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    Great all mountain bike. Value for the money. Durability.

Bottom Line:
Have ridden all over the country on all different terrain on this bike and has never let me down. Climbs well and handles the down hills smoothly.

Favorite Trail:   bdennehy5@yahoo.com

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dave from Fletcher, NC USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Strengths:    I'm new to the sport but the people I know that have been doing this tell me I got alot for the money. It has been great for everything I have done to this point.

Weaknesses:    The front fork (manitou splice) have bottomed out on me a few times. I noticed the 07's have Rock Shox forks instead. I have not had the pedal bob the previous guy was talking about.

Bottom Line:
The bike has been great for what I do, I ride fairley aggressively and have not had any issues, the bike has not held me back. I have had numerous biffs and no problem, it keeps on rockin. I ride with guys with bikes 3-4 times the cost of the R5 and keep up with them on all the gnarley stuff. Again just the occasional bottom out on the front fork which I will replace eventually. I recommend this bike for the guy who would like a full suspension bike but doesn't want to shell out the cash. Instead of a hardtail pay a few more bucks and get into a Haro Shift R5

Favorite Trail:   All of Western NC