Haro Shift R3 XC Full Suspension

4.08/5 (24 Reviews)

• New Shift 6061 hydroformed frame
  • RockShox Judy J2 120mm travel fork
  • X-Fusion coil rear shock w/rebound adjust
  • SRAM X.7 9-speed trigger shifters
  • Hayes disc brakes

Submitted by davtremo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2014

Strengths:    Frame, 5 inches rear travel, Haro proven geometry.

Weaknesses:    Stock Parts, nothing that you cannot change :).

Bottom Line:
I wanted a freeride/XC setup and this bike does this with 140mm front, it has shown commitment all the way. Ive changed fork, stem, handlebar, BB and crankset. Im confused why haro is not making full suspension MTB's anymore... they really got the idea on this bike geometry,also single pivot is a plus from a maintenance view. This is a really well developed product and will recommend this bike to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Long ones.

Similar Products Used:   haro thread expert, trek session

Submitted by De5tr0yer a Cross Country Rider from Croatia

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent basis for upgrades, strong, good looking

Weaknesses:    Stock brakes

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike to begin with. MZ race is still whooping on my friends bike.

You would want to change your brakes first, as my mx4 weren't strong enough.

Next I've upgraded fork to reba, but the nose was too steep on descent, so I've changed it to Z1FR1. Oh boy, what a delight... Although a lot heavier, I can still climb. Only thing to keep an eye on is travel limiter on fork (u-turn or in my case ETA). Just lower the travel and up you go in no time.

Wheels were too weak for me, I'm pretty heavy, so I've changed that too.

Now I'm at 16.2kg monster, but works like a charm! Not considering changing it for anything.

Purchased At:   600

Similar Products Used:   Haro escape comp

Bike Setup:   R3 frame, Marz Z1FR1 ETA 2005 150mm, rockshox bar 2.1, prodigy proforma+MTX front wheel, dabomb headspin + doubletrack rear wheel

Submitted by suganumayuuji a Weekend Warrior from Petaling jaya, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Strong and I have no problem with the frame. BB bearings are wearing out with klik-ing sound, seat post crack, saddle dented, all cause by me abusing it like mad cow. Other than that, everything else is fine.

I've been trashing down rock gardens with this bike bouncing like a mad ox for about 4 months, jumps, 5 feet drop to flat, downhill, and a few more that I can't think of now. It has been holding up well.

I don't get why so many people around my country complains that haro have headtube problem, as it always cracks, even with stock fork, which includes, extreme models.

Well... for a 1k bike, it's not bad.

As you ride and improve your skills, it's time to forget the shift r3, and get a proper freeride or downhill bike. BUT!, with a frame this strong, consider changing the stock fork to a better 140mm travel fork like fox or rock shox, increase the front height by changing to a higher rise handler bar, or add more spacer if you are changing your fork, then get a fox van R or DHX rear shock. A 4.5 inch bike can turn into a freeride machine. and of cause, make sure you have other stuff that's able to hold up to big jumps and drops, like a new crank and bb, handler bar, stem and see what else you wanna change.

Favorite Trail:   Kiara

Purchased At:   KSH ss2

Bike Setup:   Quad Dime pro brakes, kenda nevegal tires, the rest is stock.

Submitted by XCcelerate a Cross Country Rider from huntsville, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2010

Strengths:    overall duribility, value

Weaknesses:    stock drive train, total wieght

Bottom Line:
Great beginner bike, very fun on single track trails, get a little squirrely in switch backs a higher speeds. Overall I've really enjoyed this bike, it's served me well during the novice and sports man level of my local competitions. I have given it a beating and its held up to most of it, not really into large vertical drops, but it handles rolling drops and dirt jumps pretty well with little rebound or bounce from the suspension awesome value, but it's time to up grade.

Favorite Trail:   Sam houston national forest

Purchased At:   Sun, Ski, Sport

Similar Products Used:   Dimondback Sortie

Bike Setup:   X.9 rear derailleur, candie brother pedels, WTB tires

Submitted by onellesen a Racer from san marcos, california

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Sram components
Rokshox/x fusion
Brakes
Bars, and stem

Weaknesses:    Rear swing arm
Pedals
shifter pedals

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a bike that does a decent job, this is it. my only problem with it is that i am rough on things and i have broken the swing arm on both sides near the bracket where the shock connect, if you see this reoccuring call up haro and ask the what the heck. other than that this thing has taking a beating for what it is, i have done 5-6 foot drops onto flat before and it was fine. i have over 1,400 miles on it. just make sure you keep up on the maintanace like spoke tension and hub grease, just the basics, that is y i have a different back rim. mainly because i crashed bad, but also because it was due for a tune up :d hope this helps

Favorite Trail:   LITTLE THOMAS MOUNTAIN

Purchased At:   Hidden Valley Bicycl

Similar Products Used:   NONE:

Bike Setup:   Atomlab Pedals
Halo Combat 2 rear rim
John Tomac nevegal stick-e tires
Rear anodized blue swing arm

Submitted by Nony B. a Weekend Warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2010

Strengths:    Good build quality,Hydroformed Top Tube,Handsome Frame, Reasonably Priced

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy in stock form.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as an entry-level duallie for my Son. I ride a Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 with Fox suspension. I'm surprised how good this bike rides. It's somewhat heavy in stock form. Had to swap some parts to lighten it somewhat. Didn't like the way the TruVativ IsoFlow cranks shifted & had to upgrade to a Shimano Deore. I swapped my old Manitou Black Elite fork which better matched the RockShox Bar 2.1 in the rear. The stock Marzocchi 22 Lo was very plush but had too much dive fo my taste. The bike seems to hide its weight well on the climbs even without lockouts and platforms. The bike seems to float over the bumps and just hook ups on winding single tracks. The brakes will be upgraded next. The stock Hayes MX4 brakes are powerful and modulates ratherc well but requires frequent adjustments. I'll switch to Shimano hydros when I get the chance & the cash. This bike is a grate value at this price range. The frame looks strong enough for dirt jumping too. Killer deal, I'd say. Value for money, you can't find a better bike at this price range.

Favorite Trail:   Munti

Purchased At:   Grand Trail Cycles -

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0, Various Hardtails

Bike Setup:   Swapped the fork with my old Maitou Black Elite, upgraded cranks to a Shimano Deore with integrated spindle & external BB. Upgraded to lighter alloy QR Skewers.

Submitted by chadelliott a Cross Country Rider from Ahwatukee, AZ. USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Strengths:    Sram components

Weaknesses:    Design........

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for my girlfriend who is just getting into biking. Very dissapointed in this bike. I paid the same for my i-drive and wish now I would have spent a bit more and bought her an i-drive. I used this bike while mine was having the forks over hauled. The pedaling efficiency sucks big time. Horrible going up any hill, no matter what the angle and far it is. If you can skip this bike....DO IT!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hmmm

Purchased At:   Tempe Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive, Felt Redemption3

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for new Kenda Tomacs

Submitted by snorider19 a Weekend Warrior from Calabasas, CA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Bike rides amazingly on the downhill. It sucks up the bumps like it's floating on air.

Weaknesses:    It could be better when you charge up tough inclines.

Bottom Line:
It's a real "Bad Ass" !! Probably one of my best purchases

Purchased At:   spok'n wheel

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump Jumper (20 years), Gary Fisher (don't remember the model) .

Bike Setup:   Haro set up

Submitted by MAFISHER a Racer from Leominster, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2009

Strengths:    2009 model. Solid overall. Price was right for a full suspension bike. BMX spirit for sure. Even sized frame is just right for my height (5' 8") and riding style (BMX background). Should be categorized as all mountain. Does not feel XC with good geometry.

Weaknesses:    Front fork is weird. When locked out it makes a clanky sound when you put some force into lifting the bike (to lift off of a rock, etc...). Otherwise so far so good.

Bottom Line:
Great bike overall. Great for BMXers looking to stay with that style. I hate the XC feel some bikes have and don't need the beef and geometry of a downhill or freeride bike. This is that combination for the just about everything rider (fast trails, some up and down, a few launches, some jumping and just general all mountain type riding). Don't dismiss the price for value. You may be surprised.

Favorite Trail:   Rayburn, Millbury, MA

Purchased At:   Gearworks

Bike Setup:   STock except Shimano DX pedals.

Submitted by yakmastermax a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome look, good all mountain balance. Cheaper end of things, the Hayes mechanichal disk brakes are perfect for trail and AM use.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock is an X fusion that works, but only 4.5 inches of travel, and at 34 lbs, 4.5 inches rear travel makes this too heavy for XC and not enough travel for some aggresive AM.

Bottom Line:
Good bike if you want a single bike to cover multiple bases, well worth the money,Haro is just awesome anyway, but if you have extra cash and ride specificaly different styles on different occaisions it would be better to dedicate different bikes to that.

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham Park

Purchased At:   Ken's bike and ski (

Bike Setup:   Stock + strap pedals

Submitted by chase a Weekend Warrior from Fife

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2009

Strengths:    The front fork ubzorbs alot of stuff

Weaknesses:    The brakes on mine sqeak a little

Bottom Line:
I truely love this bike it is one of my better buys

Favorite Trail:   Desmoins Creek trail

Purchased At:   bonny lake bike shop

Submitted by Adept a Cross Country Rider from Hungary, Budapest

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    Light, strong frame. It is perfect for me. The frame is a perfect base for an unlimited upgrade.

Weaknesses:    The frame is perfect. The fork need an upgrade because of my weight (but I think it needs anyway, this frame deserves a better fork)

Bottom Line:
I like it very much. It is ok up to the hill, and perfect for "downhill". It you ugrade the fork, and the shock, it will be a real bomber...
Haro for everyone!

Similar Products Used:   It is my first full-suspension frame.

Bike Setup:   Sram x5, Shimano alivio, Hayes MX4, Marzocchi MZ Supercomp, Rock Shock Ario 2.1.
I don't understand, why the factory mixing the Shimano and sram parts? Ok, I know they purchase a great amount of parts together, and use the leftovers to the lower bikes, but still...

Submitted by Madman a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2008

Strengths:    The frame and everything that comes with it are very strong and durable. Very reliable in stiff uphills and downhills.

Weaknesses:    Nothing.

Bottom Line:
The 2008 All-Terrain Haro Shift R3 set up is perfect for its class. The bike is sturdy, reliable and very predictable. It comes with a mechanical disk brakes which are easy maintain. The single pivot rear shock is responsive and likewise easy to maintain. The fork is great too. It is a very very practical choice and money's worth.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   Bike Plus

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Parker 1.0, Jamis Durango 1.0.

Bike Setup:   2008 All-Terrain Haro Shift R3. Please refer to www.harobikes.com

Submitted by boby a Cross Country Rider from Depok

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2008

Strengths:    its single pivot so less maintenance...

Weaknesses:    the weight compare to my previous giant XTC hard tail...but i am to0 (200kbs)

Bottom Line:
in my favourite tracks it ride a descent track with an ease (compare to my hardtail giant XTC)and I can still using it to go uphill by turning the front shock to 85mm travel.

It support my weight quite well and i still have confidence in hooping a small bump along the track

Favorite Trail:   Puncak

Brake: Tektro mechanical
Frame size: 17

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from Abilene

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    Great entry level XC full suspension bike. I got a good deal because it was an 06 model. Handles well and is reliable. Did lots of research before choosing this model. Upgrade of rear shock is recommended.

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy for an XC but what do you expect for 800 bucks. Front brakes take a lot of force to stop, which is why I replaced with some BB7s.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike as a starter XC bike. As you see on my setup, its a total different ride now. Next upgrade will be a set of Mavs.
This bike takes a beating and keeps rolling. I would recommend utilizing this bike as a good starter and upgrading the components slowly.

Favorite Trail:   Government Canyon